A promise is a promise

Hospital Happiness

You sat in that chair by your father’s bed. You smiled through your tears.

“You’re going to get a new heart. The transplant is almost prepared. You’re going to get well. It’s going to be okay. We’re all going to be fine.” You took your father’s hand and held it tight. If the transplant went as planned your father would be cured, those were the predictions from the doctors.

 

Your mother barged into the room panting heavily. You looked up at her with teary eyes. She kneeled beside you and put her hand upon yours and appas.

“How?” she asked as her lower lip shivered. You gave her a weak smile.

“I have connections,” you said quietly. “Everything will be okay now.”

 

Once again the door opened and a doctor followed by three nurses entered the room. The doctor looked at you and your mother.

“We’re ready to do the surgery.”

 

Taeyeon called from home every ten minutes eager to hear how appa was doing.

“They’re not ready yet,” you said for the 100thtime.

“Okay, call me as soon as there is any news,” Taeyeon said and hung up. This months phone bill would be more expensive than usual you thought as you shut your brand new cell phone.

“Your sister?” Jonghyun asked. You nodded. He stayed quiet. Jonghyun had said that he had to be able to reach you any time, that was his reason for giving you the mobile phone.

 

Now three hours and sixteen calls from Taeyeon had passed and you were getting impatient. Couldn’t someone at least come out and say how things were going? Jonghyun noticed the worry in your body and his hand sneaked its way to yours and intertwined your fingers. You kept your gaze in front of you. You could feel his eyes on you though. He sighed.

“Can you at least give me a chance?” he pleaded.

“You had to buy our relationship.” You said nothing more.

 

Half an hour later a doctor came up to you.

“~~~~~?”

“Yes?” You swallowed hard, prepared for the worst.

“The surgery went faultlessly, your father will be as good as new,” the doctor said with a smile. You took a shivering breath.

“Thank you.” You had to get your mother. You stood up and detached yourself from Jonghyun’s grip. You pulled your fingers through your hair and tried to calm down. Your inside was a mixture of feelings… Relief. Your father would now get well. You could hardly believe that after all these years of struggle this big weight would finally be lifted from your shoulders. At the same time you felt sorry for yourself, for what you had lost. You were disgusted and ashamed of your own selfish thoughts. You were glad no one could hear them.

 

“~~~~~-ah.” Jonghyun was in front of you. He touched your cheek. “Please don’t cry anymore.” You hadn’t even noticed it yourself but a stream of tears was running down your cheeks. You quickly tried to wipe them away and was about to turn away from him, but Jonghyun’s strong arms took you in and held you to his chest. First you tried to fight him by pushing him away and hitting his chest, but he didn’t let go. You gave up and sobbed on his shoulder.

“I’ll take care of you,” Jonghyun whispered. You sniffled and your crying increased. How you had been longing to hear those words, still you weren’t satisfied. They came from the wrong person.

 

 

“A heart transplant!?” Yoona and Hyoyeon stared at you. You nodded slowly.

“Did it go well? How did you afford it?” Yoona asked worriedly. “You won’t get chased by loan sharks will you?”

“No. Jonghyun paid for it.” You looked away. “It went fine.”

“It makes me happy to hear.”

“Wait a  minute! Jonghyun!? The y-but-still- an--restaurant-guy?” Hyoyeon asked surprised. “Why on earth would he do that? Isn’t it like super expensive?”

 

You told them the whole story about when Gikwang walked in during your and Jonghyun’s “date”, and how it all ended up in a disaster.

“Don’t say we didn’t warn you,” Hyoyeon said.

“But that still doesn’t explain why he paid for the transplant.”

“When my father returned to the hospital Jonghyun sought me at work. We were out back, to avoid making a scene, and he confessed.” Yoona and Hyoyeon stared at you with serious faces, waiting for you to go on. “I turned him down.”

“What did you say?” Yoona breathed quietly with wide eyes.

“I told him the truth. That I’m in love with Gikwang.” You sighed.

“What did he say?” Hyoyeon breathed even quieter.

“When I was about to leave, he stopped me.”

 

 

-:<Flashback>:-

 

“I have an offer to make, you won’t be able to resist it…”

“Jonghyun, please…” you sighed, but he interrupted your protests.

“It’s something I know you won’t be able to resist. You’ll regret it if you don’t give me a chance. Will you hear me out?” The tone in his voice made you turn back and look at him. This did not bode well.

“Tell me,” you said. He took a step closer.

“If you promise to be with me…” He took another step towards you.”…I’ll pay for your father’s heart transplant.” Your eyes widened at his words.

“What?” Your voice was barely more than a whisper.

“If you promise to be with me I’ll do all I can to get you father healthy again and get you and your family back on your feet.” Jonghyun was now so close that you were almost touching. Were you imagining this or was he actually proposing this?

“You... I… can’t,” you stuttered. Jonghyun took on of your hands in a gentle grasp.

“I don’t think you fully understand me. I want to be with you, like I’ve never wanted anything ever before. There isn’t much I wouldn’t do in order to have you by my side.” He looked you in the eyes. “If you stay with me, I’ll save your father.”

 

-:<End of Flashback>:-

 

 

Yoona and Hyoyeon looked at you with empty stares and their mouths hanging open. You leaned back in your seat and put your hands in your lap.

“That’s so… so…” Hyoyeon tried to find the right word.

“Evil,” Yoona finished her sentence.

“You gave up your happiness to save your father…”

“What happiness?” you scoffed and your heart grew dark. “Gikwang has already moved on.”

“Huh?”

“What do you mean ‘he has moved on’?”

“He’s got a new girl,” you said. You glanced at the watch. “I have to go. Jonghyun is picking me up in a few minutes.” Your friends tried to stop you. You just gave them a sad smile.

“A promise is a promise.”