Birthday boys

Hospital Happiness

You opened the front door and Jonghyun greeted you with a big hug. You took a step back and glared at him.

“What’s this all about?” You motioned to the two men standing behind him carrying loads of bags and boxes.

“Didn’t you say the twins are celebrating their fifth birthday this weekend?” Jonghyun asked and stepped inside the apartment. The twins peeked their heads around the corner when they heard their name was mentioned, but didn’t dare to approach the stranger. Jonghyun beamed at them as he handed his coat to one of his companions.

“I’ll take that,” you said quietly while Jonghyun crouched to the same level as the boys.

“Hey guys,” he said with a childish smile. “Your sister told me that today’s your birthday.” The twins nodded eagerly. “You see, I brought you some presents. Would you like to open them?” Jonghyun asked and looked just as eager as the kids. The twins turned to you but you didn’t give them any sign so they got insecure. They turned their heads back.

“Omma!”

 

Your mother walked into the hallway while drying her hands on a towel.

“And who do we have here?” she asked with a small smile.

“I’m your daughter’s boyfriend,” Jonghyun said and bowed politely before reaching out his hand. “Kim Jonghyun, it’s a pleasure to meet you.” Your mother looked slightly confused.

“Jonghyun? I thought it was Gikwang…” She shook his hand. You looked away. Jonghyun cleared his throat.

“I have replaced Gikwang, I’m her new boyfriend,” Jonghyun said and scratched his ear with an uncomfortable face.

“Oh, I see. Welcome,” your mother said and smiled widely. You stared hard onto the floor trying to suppress your tears.

“You can never replace Gikwang,” you whispered. No one was supposed to hear it, but at the sight of Jonghyun’s face it was obvious that he had caught your words. You hurried passed him into the kitchen.

 

The twins screeched and made fuzz over who got to sit the closest to the cake, which Jonghyun had brought. Your youngest sister came toddling showing all her small white teeth in a wide smile. Your mum was laying the table.

“I won’t be able to stay for very long, I’m visiting a friend,” Taeyeon said.

“Arasso, arasso, just sit down and have some cake first,” your mother said, and then she turned to Jonghyun who was sitting in the middle if the chaos. “I’m sorry about the mess.”

“Not at all, I enjoy it. It’s very homey.” He kept up the small talk with your mother and Taeyeon took her chance to talk to you.

 

“What is he doing here?” she whispered angrily. You didn’t answer. “Are you really a couple? Have you talked with Gikwang?”

“Gikwang and I are over, I’m with Jonghyun now,” you whispered back with no emotion.

“Is this because of the heart transplant? Please, say that it’s not,” Taeyeon pleaded and tugged your sleeve.

“This is my own choice, and I have made my decision.”

 

The twins blew out the candles and you all applauded.

“Now it’s time to open the presents!” Jonghyun exclaimed excitedly and bent down to pick up the packages from the floor. He placed them on the table and pushed them towards the boys. As the kids tore the paper of the gifts you walked out of the kitchen with two side plates with cake. When you entered the hall the two young men immediately stopped leaning against the walls and quit the silent small talk and stood straight up.

“Would you like to join us?” you asked. They shook their heads with shocked expressions. You sighed. “Then at least have some cake.” You shoved the plates in their hands before they could protest.

“Kamsahamnida,” they stuttered quietly.

“No, thank you,” you said and walked back towards the kitchen. “The restroom is that way, by the way,” you said and pointed in the right direction.

“Oh, thank you,” said one of the men and hurried away.

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This isn't much I know. Unfortunately I fear there will be another uneventful chapter like this that follows, but I'll make it up to you.
Promise :)<3