In the corridors of a hospital

Hospital Happiness

You, Gikwang and Yoseob walked through the corridors towards the room where your father was lying. Or rather, you and Gikwang was walking while Yoseob ran back and forth and skipped ahead, disappearing behind one corner just to show up around another and scare the crap out of you.

 

“Can you please stop doing that?” After the fifth attempt of trying to scare us Gikwang seemed to have had enough.

“Hyung, you’re so boring,” Yoseob pouted.

“We’re here,” you interrupted their incipient quarrel. “Thank you for following me here.”

 

You were just about to put your hand on the knob when someone opened the door from the inside. Someone was here? Or was it…

“Appa?” You pulled the door open. But the little flame of hope inside you extinguished as quickly as it had been lit when you saw Taeyeon standing in the doorway. “Taeyeon-ah. What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be in school?”

“Appa’s asleep.” Taeyeon looked at her feet. “Today’s field day.”

“So? Aren’t students supposed to be attending field days as well?” You frowned. “You’re cutting class?”

“The teachers wont notice that I’m absent.”

“It doesn’t matter! Is this the first time?” you started yelling at your sister.

“Noona!” Yoseob walked around you and stood beside Taeyeon. He protectively put an arm around her shoulders. “Don’t be so harsh on her. She has just been visiting her sick father. I think the teachers will have indulgence with that.” You looked at Yoseob’s, for the first time, serious face.

“Yoseob, this is none of your business,” Gikwang said and moved to drag Yoseob away.

“No, it’s fine,” you sighed. “He’s right. I’m sorry Taeyeon-ah. Let’s go home and let appa have a rest. But please tell me that this was the first and last time you’re skipping school.”

“Don’t tell omma, please,” Taeyeon pleaded.

“I won’t. Let’s get out of her.”

 

Yoseob startled at your words. He smiled brightly and ran up to Gikwang.

“Hyung, did you hear that!? We’re finally going. Come on!” He pulled Gikwang in the direction of the elevators and you followed. Yoseob looked back at Taeyeon. He let go of Gikwang and hurried back.

“Taeyeon-ah!” he called. “Come on Taeyeon-ah, we’re leaving. Oh, ‘cause you’re not my noona, right? No, I bet you’re in your first year of high school, then I’m older.” HE beamed at her.

“How did you…? Taeyeon looked as confused as you felt. How did he know?

“He’s good at guessing ages,” Gikwang said out of nowhere. Oh… Random…?

“Come o-on Taeyeon-ah,” Yoseob whined. He grabbed Taeyeon’s hand and pulled her along. “You’re too slow.” You just looked at them with a confused smile on your face as Yosoeb stormed past with Taeyeon in tow. Honestly, what had he been taking?

 

“I’m sorry if my donsaeng is being a pain,” Gikwang said apologizing.

“Don’t worry. Actually, I get kind of happy just by looking at him,” you said.

“Bye noona! Bye Taeyeon-ah, it was nice meeting you!” Yoseob shouted from a distance while jumping up and down waving crazily. The two of you waved back.

“See you.” Gikwang left you and Taeyeon by the entrance and walked towards the parking lot where Yoseob were already.

 

“Do you know those guys?” Taeyeon asked as you walked towards the bus stop.

“I met them last time I was at the hospital,” you said.

“… Gikwang gave you his number…”

“Yeah…”