Day care

Hospital Happiness

 

You got in the backseat of the black car and the driver closed the door behind you. It wasn’t Doo Joon this time… Jonghyun looked at you as you sat up comfortably. He glanced out the window on your side.

“Everyone is staring,” he said. You shrugged.

“They all know that I’m poor, this will make some good gossip,” you said without looking at him. You slightly waved to the audience, even though they couldn’t see you through the toned pane. Jonghyun looked at you.

“You were poor.” You didn’t answer that.

 

“Where are we going?” you asked when you no longer could stand the silence. Jonghyun smiled.

“I’ve found a day care that I think might be suitable for your siblings,” he said. You snapped your head at him.

“Woah! Hold on a second! Let’s not exaggerate this too much. You don’t have to do more for my family, you already have me,” you protested angrily. Did he have to be such a show-off? He  just chuckled.

“This is not something I do because of that.”

“Why then?”

“Because you are my girlfriend and I want to make sure that you’re happy and that you don’t suffer secretly, like you did before.”

“I’ve never suffered secretly,” you muttered and leaned back in your seat while folding your arms over your chest. Jonghyun chuckled again.

“Sure you haven’t.”

“Fine,” you said. “Do what you want, I don’t care.” You glared at Jonghyun and he gave a small smile. Stop smiling.”

“You’re scolding me, it’s just like it used to be,” he said. You gave him a cold stare.

“It can never be like it used to be,” you said sternly and looked out the window on your side.

 

“We are here,” the new driver announced and you looked out the window, and this time actually seeing what was outside. You found yourself staring at a beautiful garden with a dozen children running around. You could hear their happy screams of laughter even through the closed car door.

“Let’s have a look,” Jonghyun said and stepped out of the car. You took a deep breath and followed him out. The owner came out and greeted you. Did she know you were coming?

“Annyeonghaseyo, welcome.” She bowed politely. “Would you like a tour of the place?”

“That would be lovely,” Jonghyun said and flashed the woman a charming smile. She blushed slightly and said: “This way.”

 

The day care was small but very well organized and homely. The woman finished the tour in the garden.

“We let the children play outside as  much as possible,” she explained with a gesture towards the children. Jonghyun smiled brightly and looked very excited.

“What do you think ~~~~~-ah, isn’t it great?” he asked.

“It’s perfect,” you mumbled. He leaned a bit closer.

“What did you say?”

“It’s okay,” you said a bit louder this time. But, it was like you had said the first time. Perfect. There wasn’t any other word to describe the place. Jonghyun looked a little disappointed.

“We can look for another one.” You tried fighting your guilt but you didn’t succeed very well, and you sighed deeply and smiled at him.

“No. This one is great,” you said. The owner clapped her hands together and smiled a satisfied business smile.

“What’s the age of the child?” she asked.

“Two and four,” Jonghyun said.

“They turn five this weekend,” you mumbled.

“Really?” Jonghyun looked happy and then turned back to the owner. “Alright, two and five years old.”

“Oh, so it’s two children?” the woman asked and looked at you and Jonghyun with a surprised look.

“Actually, they are three. The five year olds are twins,” Jonghyun said with a smile.

“Three…? Well, that’s not a problem, there is enough room,” the lady smiled.

 

“So, how much will this cost?” you asked as the woman opened the office door and all three of you walked inside. The woman got some papers ready and started talking about fees for every child, for every semester, extra costs that might be necessary. You quickly counted it in your head and your eyes widened at the calculation. You grabbed Jonghyun’s arm which was just about to accept the papers. He looked at you.

“Are you crazy?” you hissed at him. “It’s too much, we can find another one.” Jonghyun smiled at you and gently freed himself from your grip.

“You don’t have to worry ~~~~~-ah, I know a good investment when I see one.” Investment? He touched your hand, but you pulled away. “I’ll take care of this.”

 

Jonghyun received the registration forms and both of you signed them. Now there was no turning back