Nightmare-night

Hospital Happiness

You stood quietly in the doorway and looked at Gikwang. He was standing by the window with his back facing you. You could hear him hum a soft tune while slightly rocking his body from side to side. He had your youngest sister in his arms. She was fast asleep with her head on Gikwang’s shoulder. She drooled a little. You smiled and a silent tear fell down your cheek. You walked up to him.

“I can take her,” you whispered. Gikwang carefully handed over the sleeping child to you.

“Watch her head,” he said worriedly.

“I got her.”

“I’ll be in the kitchen,” he whispered. You smiled.

“Thank you.”

 

After vigilantly putting your sister in her crib you walked towards the kitchen. You heard Gikwang talking fast in a low voice. Who was he talking to? You entered the kitchen.

“Yoseob? Yoseob!?” Gikwang looked at his phone before shutting it. “Damn it!”

“You were talking to Yoseob?” you asked. Gikwang seemed to be avoiding your gaze.

“Uh… yeah.” He sounded troubled. “I… uh, was kind supposed to crash at his place tonight…”

“Oh. Well, you can go to him now. Everything’s cool here now. Thank you so much for helping me,” you said with a forced smile.

“I told him something else came up so…” Gikwang rubbed his neck. “I could stay, if you want me to.”

“You don’t have to…” you began protesting, but changed your mind. You did want him to stay. “I guess I could use some company.”

“Then I’ll stay.” Gikwang gave you a warm smile.

 

You sat beside each other at the kitchen table and waited for the phone to ring. Waited for someone to say that everything was fine, that Taeyeon was alright. It was late and you fell asleep a few times, but only to wake up from terrible nightmares. After watching you wake up a couple of times all worked up Gikwang put an arm around your shoulders and pulled you a bit closer.

“Everything will be fine ~~~~~-ah,” he whispered. You just nodded and rested your head on his arm. Soon you fell into a deep dreamless slumber.

 

You woke up to the sound of the phone ringing. You got up and stumbled to the phone.

“Yoboseyo?” You clenched the phone tight in your hands and pressed it against your ear.

“She’ll be fine. Taeyeon-ah will be okay,” your mother cried in the other end. You sighed in relief and all the tension left your body. You sank to the floor, causing Gikwang to run up to you.

“~~~~~-ah?”

“She’ll be fine,” you whispered.