Taeyeon’s second secret

Hospital Happiness

After sending Yoseob back into Taeyeon’s room you and Gikwang went to look for a pay phone, since you refused to borrow Gikwang’s cell phone. You looked up the number to Taeyeon’s high school to inform them that she would be absent for a while.

 

“We don’t have a student with that name attending to this school,” someone said in the phone.

“Could you please check again, there must be something wrong,” you said, your fears growing bigger by the second. After a short while of silence the person repeated what he had said three times before;

“Like I said miss, there is no student with that name at our school.”

“Is there any information at all connected to this name?” You were getting desperate. Another moment of silence.

“Actually, there was a student who dropped out before this school year even started…”

“Thank you.” You hung up.

 

“What did they say?” Gikwang asked when you came to sit beside him on one of those uncomfortable hospital sofas. You stared into space with a blank expression.

“Taeyeon doesn’t go to school, she dropped out. She has been lying to me for months. What is that girl up to?”

“She... what?” Gikwang asked in a low voice. You didn’t answer him. Instead you stood up and walked back towards Taeyeon’s room. Gikwang quietly followed you until you reached the door, then he walked past you and blocked your way.

“Are you sure this is a good time to confront her about this? She’s tired. She’s in the hospital,” he said. “Shouldn’t you wait until she’s not bedridden?”

“It’s a good thing she’s bed bound,” you said and pushed Gikwang aside. “This way she won’t be able to run away.”

 

Taeyeon and Yoseob turned their heads in your direction when you entered. You looked straight at Taeyeon and you could see the smile on her face disappear and her face turn a bit pale. She knew, that you knew.