Moving on

Hospital Happiness

You slammed your fist in the brick wall. Jonghyun might be right. His offer was irresistible. There was no way you could refuse to accept, no matter how much you wanted to. You couldn’t think about yourself in this moment. But you had to talk to Gikwang anyway, whether he wanted it or not. You felt obligated to let him know your feelings. You just weren’t sure how to get a hold of him…

 

The following day you tried calling Gikwang at his home but his mother said that he wasn’t at home, and he didn’t answer his cell. When you went to check up on your father you dropped by Yoseob’s room.

 

“Gikwang? No, I haven’t seen him since yesterday. Not a very long time I guess, but I already miss him… Anyway, I’m sorry, but I can’t help you with this one,” Yoseob said while trying to braid his blonde hair. He squinted his eyes as he tried to focus his gaze and the tip of his tongue sneaked its way out from the corner of his mouth as he concentrated.

“Do you know where he could be? I really need to talk to him.”

“I know you do. Gikwang sometimes needs time to process things. Wait him out, he’ll come to you.” Yoseob gave up on the braiding and ruffled his hair to make the failed attempt disappear. “I’m practising so I can make one on Taeyeon-ah,” he explained. You smiled. He was adorable. But you didn’t have enough time to wait Gikwang out.

“Please tell him I really want to see him, talk to him and explain to him,” you pleaded.

“I will, don’t worry.” Yoseob smiled. You gave him a hug and he giggled.

“What?”

“I got your hair in my nose,” he said and wrinkled his nose while rubbing it lightly.

“I’ll go now,” you smiled. “Tell Gikwang…”

“I said I would noona. Trust me. I know my hyung, I can handle him.”

 

You walked into your father’s room. He was unconscious and had been ever since the day he returned to this prison. You knew there wasn’t much time left. You sat down in the chair next to your father’s bed and cried. You had to make a decision.

 

You ran in and out of the kitchen with orders and dishes.

“~~~~~!” your boss called. You looked at him while putting the clean plates where they were supposed to be. “Can you take care of the couple in the lobby?”

“Yes Boss.” You walked out of the kitchen and into the entrance hall. You made a sudden halt and stared at the couple in front of you.

“A table for two,” Gikwang said and put his arm around the beautiful girl by his side. You stood quiet for a few seconds while fighting your tears.

“Follow me.”

 

You secretly watched Gikwang and his date from afar. They were talking and laughing and occasionally their hands touched on the table. The jealousy was almost unbearable and your heart hurt with every beat. You looked at Gikwang’s face. At the small smiles he shared with the girl. You had made your choice.

 

When Gikwang excused himself and headed towards the men’s bathroom you acted before thinking. You hurried to the other side of the dining hall and hid behind the screen that screened of the bathrooms from the remaining restaurant. you tried to listen for his footsteps but the buzzing from the other dinner guests made it impossible for you to make out his particular steps. You were just about to peek around the corner of the screen when Gikwang appeared in front of you and you surprised took two steps backwards. Gikwang looked at you with a hard gaze.

“This is the men’s bathroom, right?” he asked with an expressionless face. You nervously changed your weight from one foot to another.

“I have to talk to you,” you began. Gikwang folded his arms over his chest. “Will you please hear me out?”

“Fine, but make it short, my date is waiting…” he said indifferently. His words hit you where they hurt the most but you tried to ignore the pain, determined to explain yourself. You took a shivering breath.

“Gikwang, I’m sorry. I know I did wrong, but please try to understand. Those meeting meant nothing to me, except for a chance for me to meet a friend.” You looked at him with pleading eyes. This was the worst apology of all history, but he wanted it short, and you wanted to please him.

“Don’t forget about the money,” he said.

“The money?”

“You said he paid you. He definitely didn’t see you as just a friend, you used him…”

“I didn’t use him,, he came here by his own free will. We are friends!” you exclaimed. You felt helpless. Gikwang unfolded his arms and instead he put his hands in his pockets.

“Are you done?” he asked. “I don’t get why you’re making this such a big deal. I’m moving on, and you should too.”

“I can see that you’re moving on, but I can’t. I don’t want to be with anyone else,” you said, completely honest. Gikwang sighed and looked up in the ceiling before turning his gaze to you.

“Just give up ~~~~~. It wasn’t anything serious anyway. I guess I just felt sorry for you.” It took you a moment to take in what he had just said. “Now, if you excuse me.” Gikwang walked past you. You closed your eyes.

“I don’t care if you were with me out of pity,” you said. You heard that Gikwang stopped and you turned around looking at his back. “I’m not asking you to take me back, because that’s not possible. I just want you to know that these are the truest words I’ve ever spoken; I love you.” You whispered the last part. Gikwang stiffened and for a second he turned his head and looked at you. He then looked away.

“You’re right. I can never take you back. It’s over.” He opened the door and disappeared behind it.

 

You picked up the phone and called the number Jonghyun had given to you.

“Yoboseyo?”

“Jonghyun, I accept your offer.”