Thumping Heart

Bittersweet Journey

[Taeyeon P.O.V]

 

I just finished my report on the newest update for our new company. Byun Corporation is currently expanding itself by opening a new office in Busan. The opening party is planned to be next week and all workers are invited. The preparation for it is amazing, all workers in this building are busy arranging and managing stuff for the new company. It’s been a hectic week for all of us, including me and Baekhyun.

 

“Have you finished the report, Taeyeon-ah?” he asked. I walked towards his desk while giving him the folders.

 

“Yes, Baekhyun-ssi. I’ve all covered there,” I said. He took it and read it for a while.

 

“Well it must be hard for you, but thank you,” he said while reading through the thick papers in the folder. Damn, yes. It’s been hard for me these weeks. My last weekend that I enjoyed properly was the day I met Baekhyun at the mall, and it was 2 weeks ago. I can even enjoy my weekends because I have a lot of things to do.

 

“Well, all of us are busy though, so it’s fine,” I said. He looked at me and half-smiled.

 

“I know right, but we have to be patient. It will be over in a week,” he said. I just nodded and smiled, and then I excused myself to go back to my desk. I was about to turn my body when he suddenly speak. “Wait, have you had your lunch?” he asked. I shook my head.

 

“No, I haven’t,” I said.

 

“It’s lunch time already, let’s eat first,” he said. I glanced at my watch. Wow, I don’t even realize that it’s lunch time already.

 

“Then, I will go to the cafeteria. Do you want something?” I asked him.

 

“No need for that, I have already asked Sehun to bring us lunch,” he said. I raised my eyebrows. I was about to ask him when suddenly we hear knock on the door.

 

“Come in,” he said. The door opened, revealing Sehun and Kai while bringing 3 plastic bags. “Finally you guys know how to knock,” he said again.

 

“Hi hyung,” said them in unison. I bowed at them. “Oh, hi noona!” they said again (in unison). I smiled.

 

“Hi too, Sehun-ssi and Kai-ssi,” I said.

 

“Aigoo, why saying Sehun-ssi and Kai-ssi? We’re younger than you, noona. Just call us Sehun and Kai,” Sehun said while walking to Baekhyun’s desk. He then put the plastic bag he held on Baekhyun’s table. “Here’s your lunch hyung, and your lunch too noona,” he said. I smiled awkwardly.

 

“Thank you,” I said in a small tone. Sehun chuckled and smiled at me.

 

“Anything for you noona,” he said while wiggling his eyebrows. I blushed.

 

“Stop it, maknae,” I heard Baekhyun scoffs. I glanced at him and he’s glaring at Sehun. Kai just laughed behind Sehun and nudged Sehun while whispering something.

 

“We’re going then hyung, bye!” Kai said.

 

“Oh, you’re not going to eat with us?” Baekhyun suddenly asked. They smirked at him.

 

“Nahh, we don’t want to ruin your moment,” replied Kai.

 

“We will eat at Suho hyung’s room, bye” Sehun said. They then left the office hurriedly before I can say my thank you again.

 

“That weird dumbs,” I heard Baekhyun speak more to himself. He unwrap the plastic bag, revealing two bowls and two mineral water bottles. “Let’s eat, Taeyeon-ah,” he said. I helped him to prepare it. We sit face to face, we didn’t sit on the sofa. He said it’s better to eat here on his desk, so he can put the bowl on the desk and he doesn’t need to hold it all the way we eat. This time, we didn’t eat in silence. Since I’m getting comfortable around him, we shared a lot of stories. From works matter to non-work matters. We found out that both of us like dogs and enjoy listening to musics.

 

“Do you have a dog?” he asked me.

 

“Yes, I have one. His name is ginger,” I said.

 

“I have one too. His name is mong ryeong. He is 3 years old,” he said.

 

“Really? What a cute name,” I said while grinning. He then told me that he used to have a dog when he’s younger but it died. He then showed me the photo of his dog which I really adore. During the time, I will sometimes glance at him. I realized that he has a mole near his eyes which I find it cute. His mouth will form a rectangular shape and the corner of his eyes will be wrinkled when he laughs. His laugh is also adorable and yes, he is breathtakingly handsome when he smiled, and whenever he smiles, it will make my heart thump a little. I closed my eyes. Oh my God, Kim Taeyeon, did you just admire your boss?

 

[Baekhyun P.O.V]

 

We didn’t realize that we’ve finished our lunch, the talks must be the cause of it. She cleaned up the bowls and the bottles and threw it to the trash bin outside the room.

 

“Thank you again for the lunch, Baekhyun-ssi,” she said. I just smiled.

 

“It’s fine, Taeyeon-ah, anything for my friend,” I said. I know she is blushing again but I pretend to didn’t see it. “Ah! I almost forget,” I suddenly said. I pulled out my phone from my pocket and gave it to her. “I don’t have your number and I think it’s necessary for me to have your number, so maybe you can give me yours,” I said. She laughed.

 

“Oh my God, yes I forgot to ask your number too,” she said. So she also has thought of asking my number? I felt happy when I hear that. She quickly type her number into my phone. She gave me back my phone and then excused herself to get back to her desk. I sat back to my seat and save her number. I put her number under the name “Taeyeon”. I smiled and put my phone back to my pocket. I glanced over the book-shelf. I finally have your number, Taeyeon-ah. I don’t know why but I felt happy that I have her number. Geez, what’s happening to me?

 

---

 

I rolled my body on my bed. I couldn’t sleep. I try to distract myself and play with my phone, maybe I can get sleepy while playing. I played some games and opened some website, but still, I couldn’t sleep. I glanced at my bedside clock. It’s freaking 11 p.m Baekhyun, go to sleep! I scrolled over my phone again when I suddenly remember that I have Taeyeon’s number. I immediately open my contact list and search for her name. What should I do now? Should I send her a message? I quickly type a message to her.

 

11.02 p.m

 

To: Taeyeon

 

Hey, it’s me Baekhyun. It’s my number, you didn’t have it yet right?

 

I press send. Is she still awake? After 5 minutes, there is no reply from her. Maybe she's already asleep. I was about to put my phone to my bedside table when my phone rings. It’s a message notification. I quickly open the new message notification. Omg, she replied it.

 

11.08 p.m

 

From: Taeyeon

 

Hey too, Baekhyun-ah. Yes, I will save your number. Thank you :)

 

I smiled and sat on my bed. While grinning, I replied her message.

 

11.09 p.m

 

To: Taeyeon

 

Your welcome. Good night, Taeyeon-ah. Have a nice sleep :)

 

 

I pressed send. I flopped my body into my bed again. It took her more than one minute to reply my message.

 

11.11 p.m

 

From: Taeyeon

 

Good night and have a nice sleep too :)

 

I squealed on my bed. Oh my God. A single reply from her has already made me happy but this good night wishes just make my night even better. This is my first time feeling this. I’m beyond happy. I can feel thumps in my heart. If my friends were here, they will surely ask me if I’m sick or not because I know that I have that idiot smile plastered on my face. I don’t care though. It feels great and I really like this feelings. I took my pillow and hug it close to me. God, thank you. I can now sleep in peace.

 

---

 

[Taeyeon P.O.V]

 

I can feel my heart thumping while replying his ‘good night’ messages. I closed my eyes after I pressed the send button. This feels so nice. The time when he messaged me at first, I didn’t reply it instantly because I was too busy to think of what should I reply to him. The time my phone rang and showed me the new message notification from him makes me sweating on my hand. I can felt my heart thump too when I was waiting for his reply. I touched my cheeks. If my friends were here, they will surely ask me if I’m sick because I know I have that pink tint on my cheeks. This so new to me but I like it. I took my big teedy bear doll and hug it close to me. God, thank you. I can now sleep in peace.