Determination and Insecurities

Bittersweet Journey

[Taeyeon P.O.V]

 

“Taeyeon-ah, where is that file I gave you yesterday?”

 

“Here,” I said as I handed him the file he needed. Baekhyun took it from my hand and read it for a while. “Anything else?” I asked him.

 

“You did well and no, that’s all,” he said. I smiled and was about to go back to my seat when his hand reached mine. “You said you don’t need anything else,” I stared at him.

 

“But I need you,”

 

“Seriously Baek, you’re so cheesy,” I stifled a laugh. He laughed as well and pulled me closer so that I’m standing in front of him.

 

“Let’s eat dinner together tonight before I send you home,” he said with his puppy eyes looking at mine.

 

“Which restaurant?”

 

“You’ve been with me for more than 7 months, you know which,” he rolled his eyes on me. I smiled and pinched his cheek.

 

Yes, I’ve been with this gorgeous man I love for more than 7 months already. He’s still him, my boss, that weird guy I met at the elevator. There’s up and down of course. We argue sometimes, over a little thing usually but it will never turn out into a serious fight. Sometimes he will act childish but sometimes he will act like my father. He is sweet, caring, loveable but sometimes silly and annoying. He is not perfect but I love the imperfection in him.

 

“Hey, are you here?” he snapped me out of my thoughts.

 

“Oh…yeah,”

 

“What were you thinking?”

 

“Nothing. Just…I didn’t realize it’s been 7 months since I know you,” I beamed at him. He smiled and kissed my knuckles.

 

“And I wish for a longer of it,” he said.

 

“Me too,”

 

“So? Dinner with me tonight?”

 

I pretend to glance at my watch and thinking abruptly which Baekhyun replied with a chuckle. “I know you’re not busy,” he said.

 

“You know me so well, Mr. Byun,” I said.

 

“Oh yes I am, Ms. Kim. So?”

 

“Ok Baek,” I said before I kiss him and leave his desk.

 

---

 

I was busy with the computer when suddenly I felt a presence next to me. I glanced up, only to see Baekhyun smiling at me.

 

“You’re so engrossed with it,” he said as he sits on my table.

 

“So much works I need to finish,” I sighed.

 

“Really? From me?”

 

“No. There are some from Ms. Lee and I need to finish it as soon as possible,” I replied. I glanced at him and I think I spot something different on him. I squints my eyes, staring at his face and appearance. And then the realization hits me.

 

“AHHH,” I half screamed.

 

“What? What were you thinking? What did you notice?” he asked me with a smile on his face.

 

“Your eyes…it’s grey,” I murmured. He chuckled and leaned forward to peck my lips.

 

“Yes, I wear lens today,”

 

“I didn’t realize it in the morning,”

 

“Because you’re too busy with your work and you’re not really sensitive to this kind of thing,”

 

“Wow, you know me so well Mr. Byun,”

 

“Yes I do,” he said with a grin on his face. I pinched his cheek before I wrap up all my belongings and put it all into my bag. After I make sure that I’ve turned off the laptop, I followed Baekhyun out of our room. As soon as we reached lobby, we saw Yuri walking toward us.

 

“Oh, Yuri? What are you doing here?” I asked her.

 

“Hi, uh… I just want to inform Baekhyun though, and you too Taeyeon that—“

 

“OPPAAAAAAA” suddenly I heard a girl’s voice shouting from afar. Then I can see a girl running to us, to be exact, towards Baekhyun. Yuri gave me an apologetic look that I don’t understand but then suddenly this girl hug Baekhyun in a teddy bear hug. I was kinda shocked actually. Baekhyun eyed my reaction and tried to escape from the hug.

 

“Uhh, hyemi-ah I—“

 

“Woah! I miss you so much, oppa!” the girl cuts Baekhyun off. I raised my eyebrows at her. Well, what is this?

 

“Ok enough girl,” said Yuri before she forcefully pulled the girl away from Baekhyun. Baekhyun cleared his throat before giving me a look, and I know what it means. I nodded at him.

 

“Oppa! My father and I just arrived today and we straightly went here! My father is probably meeting your dad though!” she beamed at her. I feel weird with the way her eyes twinkling when looking at Baekhyun.

 

“Oh really? I will meet ahjussi later,” said Baekhyun. He pulled me closer and reached for my arm. I become panic in a sudden. We’re still in office building and we have agreed to never let anyone in the office except his cousins and my friends know we’re dating. I tried to release my hand from his grip but he’s too strong.

 

The girl seems to notice our interlocked hands and she looks confused. I can see Yuri was eyeing me with a weird gaze before she finally spoke up.

 

“Uhh okay, Hyemi-ah let’s—“

 

“Oh? Who’s is she oppa?” she cuts Yuri off. Yuri rolled her eyes in annoyance before mouthing something to Baekhyun that I don’t really catch, but seems like Baekhyun catch her because he suddenly tighten his grip on me and glanced at me. Now, I’m even more confused.

 

“She’s my girlfriend and she’s an unnie to you,” he said. The girl who they called Hyemi looks surprised for a moment and I can see how she looked lost for a moment.

 

“Oh…you have a…girlfriend?” she murmured. Baekhyun nodded at her and smiled at me.

 

“Taenggu, this is Park Hyemi, my friend that is also a dongsaeng and Hyemi-ah, this Kim Taeyeon, my girlfriend,” said Baekhyun. I bowed at her and she bowed at me as well.

 

“I thought you have no girlfriend,” she murmured again, glancing back and forth between me and Baekhyun.

 

“He has and it’s been 6 months already. Now can we just go so that I can drop you at the hotel? I want to go home,” I heard Yuri scoffed at her.

 

“And she works here?” she asked again. Yuri rolled her eyes again but I couldn’t care less. Somehow, her stare is so intimidating. I can feel myself nervous as I eyed Baekhyun, waiting for his reply.

 

“Yes,” he calmly answered.

 

“Oh,” she replied. She glanced at me again and I know something is not right. I bit my full bottom lip, trying to calm myself. It was silent for a moment before she speaks again.

 

“As?”

 

“My secretary,”

 

“Oh,” she replied again. Damn, now this girl whose father is Baekhyun’s father acquaintance knows already that Baekhyun and I are dating. This is not good.

 

I glanced at Baekhyun, who looks like giving a signal to Yuri. I looked over to Yuri and found her nodding at him.

 

“Ok, let’s talk later because I’m so ing serious that I need to go home fast. If this is not because uncle Byun I won’t bother to even drop you off at the hotel. Now please let’s go!” said Yuri in annoyance.

 

“But unnie—“

 

“You hear me Park Hyemi,” she said again. Hyemi just sighed and nodded in agreement. She looked at both of us again. She eyed me longer than Baekhyun before she closed her eyes. After she opens it, I can see something different in her eyes.

 

“Ok, let’s meet again later, oppa! I’ll tell you a lot of stories!” she beamed at Baekhyun. And then she glanced at me, eyeing me with that look again. “And uhh…unnie, nice to meet you,” she said shortly before bowing at us and followed Yuri who has walked away.

 

As she becomes further from us, I finally knows what kind of look in her eyes she had back then. Determination.

 

[Baekhyun P.O.V]

 

I stopped the car in front of her house. We didn’t say any words throughout the drive. Taeyeon keeps herself busy by staring outside of the car and I just let her be. She glanced up and was about to go out from the car before I held her hand, stopping her from opening the door.

 

“Oh, right. Thank you, Baekhyun. Good night,” she glanced at me and smiled a bit before saying the last sentence.

 

“No, I need to explain you everything first,”

 

“Err…it’s fine, I—“

 

“No, it’s not fine. Please hear me up,” I said. She nods and I released her hand. She sits facing me, with her side leaning on the seat.

 

“That girl, she is Hyemi, my friend since childhood but I acknowledge her as my dongsaeng. My cousins know her too. Our fathers are friend and business relatives as well, that’s why we’re quite close to each other. I’m sorry that she suddenly hugged me like that,” I said as I looked into her eyes.

 

“It’s fine, no need to apologize,” she murmured with a smile plastered on her lips. “Why are you explaining this?” she continued.

 

“I don’t want you to misunderstand things,” I replied. She nods and smiled again.

 

“Thank you then,” she beamed at me. I smiled, unable to restrain my urge any longer. I leaned forward and captured her lips. I kissed her tenderly, trying to send her the message that she’s the only one. Hyemi should never concern her. I pulled back and kissed her forehead.

 

“I got your message,” she murmured. I smiled on her forehead. “I believe you, Baekhyun. And I trust you. I always do,” she said again. I leaned back and held her arms with my hands.

 

“It’s her that I didn’t trust,” she quietly continued. I tighten my grips on her arms. “I’m a girl, and I know—“ suddenly my phone rang. I pulled it out from my pants and see the caller ID. My dad?

 

­---

 

[Taeyeon P.O.V]

 

I closed the door and walked into my bed. I put my bag on the side and flop myself into the bed. Baekhyun has just left. His father called him to go to the hotel where Hyemi and his dad were staying. Turn out her father is the owner of that hotel and they’re going to stay in Korea for a month before going back to America again.

 

Baekhyun told me all and he apologized again before leaving. I closed my eyes, trying to remember the words he said earlier.

 

“I have to go. My father asks to meet Hyemi’s father and Hyemi herself. I’m sorry,” he said.

 

“Why would you say sorry to me?”

 

“Because I have to leave now,”

 

“It’s fine, just go,” I said as I opened the door.

 

“Taeyeon-ah,” he called me before I closed the door. I stared at him, waiting for him. “Just believe me,” he said with a tender gaze he gave to me. I was mesmerized by the low tone of his voice when he said that. He sounded dominating, assuring and calm.

 

I blinked for several times and nodded at him. “I do,” I simply said. He smiled and mouthed me ‘I love you’ which I replied as well. I closed the door and the car went off. As I stared into his car away, I felt something in my heart. It’s insecurities.

 

I open my eyes, trying to dismiss my insecurities. The thing that I want to say to Baekhyun back there is making me worried. She has a determination in her eyes. I know what kind of look is that. I think all women understand that kind of look. She looked at me in despise.  I knew it, from the way her eyes change when she looked at Baekhyun and then to me.

 

God, please let this be just fine, between me and him.