Let's Get Started

Bittersweet Journey

[Taeyeon P.O.V]

The sound of my alarm wakes me up from my peaceful sleep. I reached out my hand to reach my phone on the bedside table. I turned it off and looked at the time showed. It’s already 6 in the morning; the meeting will begin in around one and a half hour. I shifted my body, trying to release myself from my boyfriend’s embrace. But as I keep trying to quietly escape from his hug, his arms around me tighten.

“Let’s just stay like this for a while please,” I felt his hot breath tingling against the nape of my neck. The warmness rushed onto my entire body, making me relaxed again. I turned around and now facing him. He looks so peaceful, with his puffy eyes closed and the end of his mouth forming a slight curved. I brushed his hair and ran my fingers to his cheeks.

“Good morning,” I murmured. He didn’t respond any single word; despite he kissed my forehead and hugged me even closer.

“Wake up, sleepyhead,” I said. He finally opened his eyes and stared at me.

“5 more minutes,” he said.

“No, we’re going to be late,”

“But I want to stay like this for a while, please,”

“As much as I want to do so, we can’t. It’s already 6 in the morning,” I said. He pouted at me but I try to ignore it. “Your aegyo won’t work at me right now,” I said.

“Fine,” he said. He pecked my lips before he gets up from my bed.

“Hey, you took an advantage in the morning,” I said while getting up from my bed.

He smiled as he took some of his belongings before walking to the door. “Sorry, I can’t help myself,” he said before he finally opened the door and leave the room. That one sneaky boy.

---

The meeting went very well. We discussed majorly about the recent issue of the company expansion and how it affects the rise of stocks in some company in South Korea. A lot of important person from some popular company attended this meeting. I barely recognized some foreign investor and CEO though. There are too much to the point I got confused just by looking at their name tag. Indeed, Byun Corporation is on another level.

I sat beside Baekhyun (of course) because I’m his secretary and his cousins (including Yuri) sat on the seats behind me. Baekhyun was so different throughout the meeting. He looks so independent, wise and genius. He speaks when he felt the need to speak and listens when the others spoke. I can feel he’s flowing with charisma as he speaks and explains some things to the audience. After all, he looks so different from the Baekhyun I know, and that just makes me love and admire him even more.

After what it felt like an eternity (I’m not even exaggerating things, the meeting went for almost 8 hours with only twice thirty minutes rest), the meeting finally comes to an end. I stayed next to Baekhyun, greeting and thanking the invitees. After all the invitees left, we held a short briefing to officially end today’s meeting. We can finally back to our hotel room at 5 in the evening.

“I’m so tired,” said Yuri as I walked to the elevator next to her. I nodded in response, followed by the rest of the boys, including Baekhyun who’s walking next to Sehun.

“I want to go straight to have a warm shower and sleep like a hibernating bear,” said Chanyeol.

“You lazy brat,” said Yuri.

“Why? I’m not even tired, I’m exhausted,” he replied in defense.

“Anyway, Taeyeon-ah, let’s go to my room first,” said Yuri while nudging my elbow.

“No,” suddenly Baekhyun appeared on my side.

“No one even asked for your opinion,” she replied.

“Here we go again,” I can hear Kai sighed from behind.

“But me and Tae—“

“No buts, let’s go,” said Yuri while pulling me to follow her. We went straight to the vacant elevator and she punched the close button as fast as she can, making Baekhyun couldn’t even able to catch up with us. After she pushed her floor’s button, she leaned on to the elevator wall.

“What is it?” I asked.

“Hm?”

“Why did you ask me to go to your room?”

“Ahh, I have something to tell to you and I really need your thoughts. Besides, it’s been a long time since we have a heart-to-heart talk”

“Sounds so important?”

She chuckled. “Yes they are. You’ll see. Come,” she said as we arrived at her floor. We entered her room and I sat on to her bed. He threw her heels to the side first before she sits in front of me.

“Err…how should I start it?” she said as she knotted her fingers. This is my first time seeing Yuri looking nervous though.

“You’re nervous,” I stated.

“Hell yeah, I am,” she said.

I chuckled and nudged her arm. “Just tell me,” I said. She takes a deep breathing before she finally start to speak.

“I have a crush on someone,” she said.

“REALLY?” I half screamed.

“Sssh, you’re too loud,” she said with her index finger in front of her lips.

“Sorry, it’s just, it’s like my first time knowing you have a crush on someone. So, who’s this lucky guy?” I said.

“Lucky guy?” she asked me back with a smile. I nodded and encourage to her to continue. “He’s the son of the owner of Lee Entertainment,” she said.

“Lee Entertainment? You mean Lee Sooman-nim? His son?” I said. She nodded.

“His name is Lee Ryuman. He’s one of my sunbaenim during my college abroad. And yeah, I started to like him since that time,” she said.

“Good for you, Yuri-ah! Then, what makes you so nervous right now?”

“Well, I don’t know if he likes me too. And, we rarely talked now. We just greeted each other before, when we met during the meeting and before he left the room,” she said.

“So, what’s your plan?” I asked her. She raised her eyebrows at me and let out a chuckle after that.

“How do you know I’m planning something?”

“You are not the type of someone who never has plans in your life,” I said while lying on her bed.

“Err…okay, I need you to accompany me,” she said.

I raised my eyebrows. “Where?”

“To a club,”

“WHAT?” I half screamed for the second time as I sit straight immediately.

“Shut up,” she said.

“But…I’m still… Well you know, of what happened that day,”

“You’re still traumatic?”

“A bit,” I said. I can feel cold sweat on my hands and my heart beat quickens.

“This is Jeju, Taeyeon. It’s not that crazy club in Seoul,” she said as she held my arms. I closed my eyes, trying to get rid of the thought of that day when I felt like a dead body and promised myself to never let myself go to a club anymore.

“Okay forget it, you look so pale. I’m so sorry, Taeyeon. It won’t happen again. Just forget it, your safety is more important than anything,” she said as she hugged me. I let myself on her embrace but my mind was still bothered. Until when will I let myself trapped in this room of coward-ness? I should move on and be brave, right? As Yuri released me from her hug, I can see a glimpse of disappointment on her eyes. I know she’s trying to hide it with his cheerful smile, although I can still see her worried looks on me.

“Taeyeon? Please please just forget what I’ve said. I’m sorry for being selfish, okay?” she said.

“Why must it be club?” I asked her.

“Err…because my friend, who’s working with him, told me that he’s going to spend his night on this club near here before he flew to New York tomorrow,” she said.

“New York?”

“Yes, I mean he will go to Seoul first of course, and then he will continue his trip to New York. My friend said it’s his last day here today in Korea before he joined a one year internship in his relatives company there. I was too afraid to meet him alone so that’s why I’m asking you to come with me. But please forget it, it doesn’t matter anymore,” she said as she rubbed my arms, assuring me.

I glanced down. No, no, I can’t let Yuri be like this. This is her last chance to see any possibilities with him before he left. I need to stop being selfish. All this time, Yuri will always be there for me. Even when that awful thing happened to me, she is the one who protected me and fought for my rights with all her amazing efforts. She will always try to understand me despite of her sometimes childish act, but still, she acts like a big sister to me. And this time, I need to help her.

“Let’s do it,” I said. She turned her face towards me with her eyes popped out.

“What?”

“Let’s go to this club,” I said with a smile on my face. Yes Taeyeon, be strong. You can do it. For your bestfriend.

“No, no, just forget it, Taeyeon. I don’t want—“

“This is your last chance Yuri,” I cut her off.

“It doesn’t matter. I’m sorry, please act like I never said those things and beg you to come with me. Please Taeyeon, just let it go,” she said. I can see her worried eyes on me but no, she deserves to be happy. This is the first time she ever fell in love with someone and I don’t want to be the one to ruin her hope.

“Believe me, Yuri. It’s okay. I want to move on from the past. I want to be brave again. I don’t want to keep myself stuck in this room of cowardness. And I think, this could help,” I said. I can see her eyes wavering.

“Taeyeon you sure?” she asked me again. This time she’s staring at me, trying to find a hint from my eyes. I tried to be strong and showed her a smile.

“I’m sure,” I said.

“Should we tell Baekhyun?”

“I don’t think so. He will never let me go with you to this club and thus, I will never be able to help you to pursue your love,” I said with a wink on my eye. She smiled and let out a small sigh.

“You’re right. Besides, I’ve told the boys to keep him hooked with them so that if you reject this offer, we can still spend our time together. Maybe shopping or gossiping?” she said.

“See? You’ve planned everything,” I let out a chuckle.

“Taeyeon please. Don’t force yourself. Are you sure about this? As much as I want to go, my priority is your safety. Just forget my selfish self before,” she said. No, Yuri. You’re too selfless. I need to do something to repay everything you’ve done to me.

“It’s fine. Believe me. I need you to help me to forget the past though. Will you help me?”

“Of course, you’re my best friend. I will do anything for you girl,” she said.

“And so do I. So please. I know myself. I’m mature enough to decide what I want to do,” I reassured her.

“Okay,” she sighed. “Let’s get started,” she said as she walked to her wardrobe. I gulped my own saliva as I stared at her choosing some outfits for me. She really prepared everything. Way to go, Taeyeon.