Friends

Bittersweet Journey

[Baekhyun P.O.V]

 

She gaped at me with her little eyes widen for a moment. I flicked my fingers in front of her, which makes her blinked for several times before she regained herself again (I think).

 

“Oh, anyeonghaseyo Baekhyun-ssi,” she formally greeted me.

 

“No need to be formal, Taeyeon-ah. We’re not in the office though,” I said. She blushed momentarily. Seriously, girl? Do you always get blushed easily? “What are you doing here alone?” I asked the obvious. Well, I’m just trying to make the mood lighter.

 

“I used to hang out with my friends but they left first, so I’m left alone here. But I didn’t want to go home yet, so I spent my time here,” she said.

 

“Same goes to me. My friends also left me so I spent my time alone,” I replied. She just hummed her response. I eyed the dress she was holding. “You want to buy that dress?” I asked. She turned her attention to the dress she held.

 

“Oh, uhm, I was just looking at this dress though,” she said.

 

“Well, you better buy it. It may looks good on you,” I said. She blinked her eyes again and I know she is blushing. This girl is seriously the type who gets shy easily, isn’t she? But to be honest, when she got flustered and embarrassed, she had that pink tint on her cheeks and it makes her even cuter. Oh my God, Baekhyun…get a hold of yourself.

 

“Uhh, maybe I’ll buy this then,” she said. She then excused herself to pay the dress she bought. I followed her from behind. After she paid for the dress, we both exited the shop.

 

“You’re going home already?” I asked her. She turned her attention towards me and she is thinking for a while.

 

“I don’t think so, I want to walk around a bit,” she said. “And you?” she asked me back.

 

“Same goes to me again. Where are you going to go?” I asked her. She looked at her left and right, then she looked at me.

 

“Honestly, I don’t know too,” she said while smiling a bit. I chuckled.

 

“So we both have no destination to go,” I said while holding my smile. She just let out her little laugh. I glanced at her.

 

“Well, yeah,” she said. She coughed a bit and looked at her right again.

 

“Then how about we just walk together? At least it won’t be that boring when we’re together,” I said. And honestly speaking, I really want to hang out with her. I was lonely and maybe if I spend the time with her, it could be more interesting. And it’s Saturday, I want to stay here longer rather than spend my night alone at my apartment. Suho hyung is busy with our new company in Busan and Kyungsoo must be having his prime time alone at his apartment. I have nowhere to go. I glanced at her face expression. She looks like she’s considering my offer before she finally agreed.

 

“Err…sure then. Where should we go first?” she asked me. I looked forward. Maybe that way.

 

“Umm, just follow me,” I said.  We walked side by side. We just walk wherever my feet brought me to. During the time, we chatted a lot. I asked her a lot questions and she replied everything in detail, which to my surprise she is also quite talkative. I asked her about her friend who’s actually works in my company, same office as us. She also said that she’s the oldest in her family, and she has one younger brother.

 

“Uhm, Baekhyun-ssi” she said while tapping my shoulder, which makes me halt my step. I stopped and looked at her. “I…uh, want to go there first, you can just go ahead,” she said. I looked at the thing she pointed. An ice cream shop? I glanced back at her.

 

“You want to eat ice cream? At this hour?” I asked her. She nodded her head.

 

“I am suddenly craving for an ice cream but you can just go ahead, you don’t have to—“

 

“Okay let’s go” I said, cutting her off. She blinked her eyes.

 

“Ne?” she said.

 

“Well, let’s eat ice cream together. I’ve already told you that I don’t want to go home yet, so let’s go” I said.

 

“It’s fine with you? You don’t need to—“

 

“Yes, it’s fine with me,” I said. She just nodded her head and walked ahead. We bought 2 bowls of ice cream, she got the chocolate one while I got the bubble gum one. At first she insisted she will pay for the bill but I insisted her that I will be the one who paid and of course, I paid it first before she could even took out her money from the wallet. We found a table near the window and sat there, her in front of me and facing me.

 

“Thank you for the treats,” she said while smiling a bit. I smiled back at her.

 

“Your welcome,” I said. We ate in silence. She will sometimes glance across the window, mix her ice cream or sometimes puff out her cheeks while staring at the ice cream stall.

 

“Do you like ice cream a lot?” I asked breaking the silence. She turned her attention at me and smiled her genuine smile. I swear to God, this is another smile she has never shown to me before.

 

“Yes, I love ice cream so much. Whenever I’m in my bad mood and if I was sad, I will buy ice cream. I felt like it can shed my sadness away,” she said. I nodded at her reply. “How about you?” she asked me back.

 

“Me? Ugh…I enjoy eating it,” I said. She chuckled. She seems like she got more comfortable around me now and I found it good. “But I think now I have a reason to like it,” I unconsciously said. Okay, Baekhyun what did you just say. She glanced at me.

 

“What do you mean?” she asked. I just shook my head and mouthed ‘forget it’. “Uhm, I’m sorry if I’m being impolite but do you have any siblings?” she suddenly asked me.

 

“Yes, I have one older brother. The other 5 guys you see frequently at the office are my cousins. And no, you’re not being impolite, so it’s okay to ask me. Well, we’ve known each other for more than 2 months so it’s fine I think to know each other,” I said. She just nodded her head in my response. “By the way, I wanna ask you something, Taeyeon-ah” I said. She looked up at me while eating her spoonful of ice cream.

 

“What is it?” she asked me.

 

“Do you really not know that it was me in the first day we met?” I asked. She suddenly pales and put her spoon down. “Don’t be scared, I’m just asking. Why did you pale suddenly?” I said again while laughing. She blinked her eyes and blushed, that pink color on her cheeks again.

 

“I’m really sorry but yeah, uhh…I didn’t know that it’s you. Even I have no idea that you’re going to be my boss,” she said while tugging her strand of hair behind her ear. Have I already told you that whenever she did it to herself, I found her attractive.

 

“Really? Well, for me, I did my own research. When my father told me that you’re going to be the one who will work for me, I searched your name at the office database. That’s why when I met you at the elevator, I recognized that it was you. And that’s why I asked you if you know me, which you replied no,” I said while chuckling.

 

“Uh, I am so embarrassed now,” she said while touching her blushing cheeks. I smiled.

 

“Nahh, it’s okay though,” I said. “I just found it funny,” I continued.

 

“I’m sorry again, Baekhyun-ssi,” she said. I let out a small laugh.

 

“It’s fine, Taeyeon-ah. And I beg you again, you can just call me Baekhyun or Baekhyun-ah, just drop the formalities,” I said. She shook her head.

 

“No, it will be awkward for me. You’re my boss,” she said while she continued to eat her ice cream again.

 

“Then how about you can just call me Baekhyun or Baekhyun-ah outside the office? Just consider it that we’re friends outside office and we’re working partner when we’re at the office,” I said. She raised her eyebrows.

 

“Friends?” she asked. I ate my spoonful of bubble gum ice cream and nodded at her questions.

 

“Yup, friends. We can be friends, right?” I asked her. She smiled and nodded her head.

 

“Well, okay then, we’re friends, Baekhyun-ah” she suddenly said while grinning. I choked on my ice cream and coughed. She immediately gave me a tissue and stand up from her seat. I took the tissue from her and she left to the ice cream stall, ordering something. She hurriedly back to our table and gave me a bottle of mineral water. “You should eat it slowly. Or did you choke because of my words?” she worriedly asked me. I drank half of it and shook my head.

 

“No, ugh… *cough* it’s not because of you,” I said. She sit again in front of me. “I think I eat it too fast and maybe that’s why I choked,” I continued. She’s still looking at me with her worried eyes. “I’m fine, Taeyeon-ah,” I said while smiling. She sighed a relief.

 

“Okay then, but please eat slowly, it’s not good for yourself, Baekhyun-ssi…oh I mean, Baekhyun-ah” she said and she grinned again. This time, I can control myself to not choke again. Yes, I actually choked because of her. The way she grinned and said ‘Baekhyun-ah’ to me makes my stomach twitch, and it feels good. I can feel my heart warmed from whatever it is and I really like this kind of feelings. This is so new to me actually.

 

“So, we’re friends now right?” I asked her after I ate the last spoonful of my ice cream. She cleared her bowl as well and looked at me again.

 

“Yes,” she said while nodding. And that simple answer just made my night even better. Yes.