Blurred Mind

Bittersweet Journey

[Taeyeon P.O.V]

“Taeyeon wake up,” I feel someone nudging my elbow. I opened my eyes, only to close it right away because of the light coming through.

“Come on, you have to wake up. Baekhyun is on the phone,” said Tiffany.

“What?” I can hear my hoarse voice ringing in my ears.

“He called my phone. Yours is dead,” she said.

“But I don’t want to—“

“It’s not his fault. You can’t avoid him like that. He knows nothing Taeyeon, you shouldn’t act like this. At least give him some reason,” she said. I stay unmoved; my eyes caught her phone on the table across her bed.

“Okay…,” I pulled myself up and reached the phone hesitantly. I bite my lip for a second. Actually, I’m not ready to talk to him. But Tiffany is right, what happened last night is not and never his fault.

“Hello,” I put the phone to my ear.

“Taeyeon, are you ok? Are you sick?” that’s the first thing he said. His voice sounds worried, which makes me guilty as hell.

“I’m fine Baek,” I said, trying to sound assuring.

“Why didn’t you answer my call? I’m so worried. I thought something happened to you. Last night I called you ‘till I lost count on it. Are you seriously fine?” he asked me again. His voice sounds relieved now.

“I’m fine. I’m sorry, I put my phone in silent I think. But I’m really fine Baek, no need to worry,” I said again.

“Thank God… Anyway I’m on my way for work but I will pick you up first,” he said.

“What…don’t,” I can’t stop myself from saying. I saw Tiffany staring at me. I told her everything happened last night. I remember how I was a crying mess when I arrived at her place, and then her worried face when she brought me to her room. We hugged each other for God knows how long it was until I felt myself so worn out.

“Why don’t?” he asked.

“I can go home by my own. Tiffany…I need to help her again for something,” I lied. I saw Tiffany sighing on the edge of the bed. I did tell her about the fake reason I told to Baekhyun.

“But I want to see you. I need to be sure if you’re really alright,” he said.

“But I’m fine Baekhyun,”

“You don’t want to see me?” he asked, in a whispered tone. I somehow sense hurt on his tone.

“No…it’s not like that,”

“You sound so unusual, Taeyeon. You sounded…sad,” he said.

I bite my full bottom lip. I can’t answer him. I can’t tell him.

“Are you really fine?” he asked again.

It takes me a moment before I finally answer him. “Yes, I’m fine. Maybe I’m just tired… We stayed up late last night. You know, girls,” I tried to sound usual.

“You sure? You don’t want me to come there?”

“Baekhyun you don’t need to. And I’m sorry maybe I can’t go to work today. I’m uhh…actually really tired,” I said. Well what a very bad reason I gave.

It was silent for some second before he finally responds.

“It’s fine, take care of yourself. I love you,” he said before he ends the call. I stared on the screen, trying to assure myself that I did the right thing; that I didn’t hurt his feelings.

“You hurt him,” said Tiffany, making me lift my head up.

“What do you mean?”

“It’s so obvious how you are trying to avoid him. Usually, you’re all giggles and smiles whenever he called but look at yourself in the last five minutes. You didn’t even end that call with your confession words,” she said.

I turned my attention to her phone screen again. Really? Did I hurt his feelings?

“Don’t avoid him Taeyeon. He did nothing wrong here,” she said as she rose from the bed and walked to me. “You love him and so do him. Don’t let her bring you down. Don’t let her ruin your relationship,” she said before she left the room, leaving me guilty as hell.

---

[Baekhyun P.O.V]

The TV is on, but my attention is definitely not there. I feel so empty today. I didn’t meet Taeyeon for the whole day and even when I called her this morning, she didn’t sound like her usual self. I rested my head lazily on the cushion. Tiffany texted me that Taeyeon’s phone is dead and told me that she has arrived safely home hours ago. She also told me that I don’t need to go to her house since Taeyeon is going out with her family. I’m quite sad to be honest. Why didn’t she tell me by herself? Why does it feel like she’s trying to avoid me? Like she didn’t want to see me.

But then I don’t want to push her. I don’t want to force her right now. Her voice this morning…was so different. It’s like she’s so fragile, so vulnerable. And I can imagine her gloomy face. That’s why I didn’t ask her anymore and let the topic drop like that. Maybe next time, I can ask her about it.

Suddenly, I heard my doorbell rang. I glanced at the watch hang on my wall. It’s already nine. Who the hell come at time like this, when I should have a rest already? I’m so annoyed and pissed at the same time. I swear to God if this is not something important I will be so mad. I’m really not in the good mood today.

I lazily walked to the door without even trying to peep from the hole and open it right away. But then, the person I saw in front of me surprised me. And basically, it took my anger right away.

“Taeyeon?”

---

“Stop crying baby, it’s fine,”

“I’m not crying anymore,”

“You sure? I still see tears flowing from your eyes,”

“I can’t help it. It rolled down by its own,”

“That’s because you’re still crying,”

“That’s because I feel so guilty and sorry,”

I sighed. I wiped the tears on her face again.

“You don’t need to apologize. It’s fine. I understand. You did a great job as a best friend by staying by her side. She must’ve really needed someone to share with,” I assured her.

“I love you Baekhyun. I’m sorry that I didn’t say it this morning,” she said while staring into my eyes. She’s no longer crying but her eyes are still wet from tears.

“It’s fine, and I love you too,” I said as I kissed her eyes. The saltiness sips in my lips. I traced down the kiss to her cheek, then to her jaw line. She closed her eyes, her breathing become regular again.

“Stop, you’re taking advantage,” she said with a little giggle when I’m already near her lips.

“What do you mean?” I said, not even moving from my position.

“It’s ticklish,”

“What?”

“Your breath,”

“Seriously?” I pulled back and flashed her a smile.

“Yes,”

“Then you should’ve just let me kiss you,”

“No,”

“Why no?,”

“You’re taking advantage”

“Oh baby believe me, I can give you so many reasons why kissing my girlfriend shouldn’t be called as taking advantage and I assure you we can talk about it all night long,” I smirked at her.

She laughed, the laugh that I miss the most. I pull her into my embrace, my lips found his forehead.

“Welcome back my happy pill,” I said. She pulled back and looking at me with her beautiful eyes.

“Glad to be back,” and she flashed me my favorite grin.

---

[Taeyeon P.O.V]

I can feel a hand sneak its way under my blouse. I try to shove it away but it’s so hard, with you being not completely awake and you being pulled into an embrace.

“Baekhyun I’m still sleepy,”

“Then just sleep,”

“How can I even sleep when you’re being that thirsty boyfriend self-mode?”

“You know me so well,” he whispered in such a husky tone. I shivered due to his hot breath near my ear.

“Go to sleep. I’m still worn out,”

“Ah right, last night was amazing and tiring as hell. But I enjoyed it,” he whispered again. I groaned and turned my body so now I’m facing him.

“Stop your raging hormone,”

He laughed. “Oh my god Kim Taeyeon, that was one of the great thing that you’ve ever said,”

“Just go back to sleep Byun Baek,” I said while hugging him. His hand found its way to my waist. This is my most favorite place to sleep; inside his embrace.

“Why didn’t you sleep without your blouse? Why must you wear it again?”

I gape at him. This man is unbelieveable. I purposely pinched his arm quite hard. That makes him flinch for a moment. “I swear to God Baekhyun, stop your raging hormone,” I said again.

“Ok I’m sorry. It’s fun to tease you,” he said. His chuckle is like a song to my ears; so comforting.

Suddenly, his phone rang. He groaned, mumbling swearing words for disturbing his so called precious time. I only laughed at him while grabbing his phone next to me and gave it to him. It’s from his dad.

“Yes dad? What? Today?....But--” he doesn’t look satisfied.

“What? Who?....Why?” he glanced at me. I can only read his facial expression and well he looks annoyed.

“Ok…hm…, yeah sure see you later,” and with that, the call ended.

“What is it?” I asked him.

He puts his phone back to its place and hugs me again.

“My dad. Today we’re going to Japan, there is this sudden meeting and we have to stayed there for a week,” he said.

“Ohh…, well don’t be like that. It’s your responsibility,”

“Yeah but going there without you…”

“Hey, it’s just a week Baekhyun. Come on, you’re the one who said that our relationship should never put our own job at risk. You’re the soon to be director. Don’t be like this,” I said, trying to cheer him up. I feel sad to be honest, being separated for a week when I can finally forget all the thing Hyemi said and received all the love he gave.

“But that’s not all…” his voice become hesitant.

“Hm?”

“Don’t be mad please,”

“What do you mean?”

“Hyemi and his father is coming with us,” he said.

There. There it is. That pang of jealousy. That insecurities. That weird feeling again.

“Taeyeon?”

“Uh?”

“I’m sorry. I don’t know about this I swear to God. This is my entire dad’s plan,” he said, his eyes staring intently at me. It’s like it’s trying to find any hint of emotion there.

“It’s fine,” I managed to sound calm and fine with it after seconds.

“Really?”

“Yes. It’s fine. Just be sure you will tell me and call me if you have arrived,”

“No, I mean Hyemi—“

“Baekhyun I’m fine. I know you and I trust you,”

He smiled. “What did I do in the past to have you as my girlfriend?”

“Why?”

“Because I feel so lucky. Thank you for being so understanding,” he said while leaning in to peck me. He then pulled me into his embrace again.

“I love you. I know that you are the best for me,”

“I love you too,” I replied.

But there is one thing that he didn’t know. That my mind is now blurred again with insecurities.