Bestfriends go together

Baeksun

 

The first option Baekhyun tried was infiltrating the Lee mansion.  He knows it's wrong but he badly needed to meet Sunny. He wanted to talk to her, hug her, solve their problems... He had jumped over to Sunny's balcony and opened the balcony door. Lucky for him, it wasn't locked. He managed to enter the Lee mansion. But no one was home. And from the looks of it, it seems like the house had been empty for more than 2 weeks. No warmth felt...

The second option Baekhyun had was sneaking into SM Entertainment building. But no. That would mean risking his future as EXO member. He would look like a sasaeng and might get humiliated if he gets chased out of the building.

The third option Baekhyun had was contacting Sunny through Mrs Lee. Then again, Mrs Lee would question why he couldn't contact Sunny... So cross that out.

The fourth option was asking Kasper. The last thing he wanted to do is disturb the latter when he's busy Club Toxic and studies.

The fifth is ask Taeyeon. He is however worried that his liking for his noona would turn to love and he'll be torn between Taeyeon and Sunny. And what if Taeyeon is helping Sunny?

The sixth... He doesn't have any. But he put in 110% effort to think of ways. He waited for her like a guy who has no limit to his patience. He loves her. Baekhyun loves Sunny That's why he's waiting like a fool.

Brokenhearted and soulless, Baekhyun picked up his phone as it rang. "Yoboseyo?"

"Is this the family of Mrs Byun?"

Baekhyun frowned and sat up straight. "Yes... Who is this?"

"I'm calling from Seoul Hospital. She collapsed and she's in a critical condition right now. Can I kindly request that you come and visit? She's in the operation theatre right now. level 6"

Baekhyun's eyes sting with tears as he grabbed his car keys. "I'll be on my way"

He hung up and ran to his car. He quickly wore his seat belt and drove to Seoul Hospital. Baekhyun hurriedly parked his car before running into the hospital. He ran up the stairs to level 6, wiping off the tears that escaped. Baekhyun walked in a hurry as he looked for the emergency ward. After asking for directions from the nurses, he finally found the operation theatre.

Baekhyun bit his lip to stop himself from crying as he waited outside. But he couldn't. How can such a thing happen all of a sudden? Baekhyun's breathing was uneven as he cried. He walked back and forth worriedly. His right hand brushed through his hair. Please let my mum be fine. Please let her be okay.

Baekhyun leaned against the wall and wiped his tears, trying to calm himself. Omma will be fine. The operation theatre door opens and a nurse rushes past him carrying a tray stacked with piles of cotton wool soaked in blood. Baekhyun's shook his head. Omma is fine. She's fine. She's a strong woman. 

The light on the emergency ward goes off. Baekhyun leaned off the wall and ran a hand through his hair. The doctor was walking out of the operation theatre as he removed his mask with a grim expression. Baekhyun rushed to the doctor. “How’s my mum? Is she okay?”

The doctor looked up and gestured. “Let’s talk at my office” Baekhyun looked at the operation room before following the doctor. He closed the door after entering and sat opposite the doctor. “My mum… She’s okay right? Nothing happened to her, right?”

The doctor sighed. “Your mother had a brain tumour. When she collapsed, she bumped her head hard and lost a lot of blood. I’m sorry…” Baekhyun’s breath hitched. “I’m afraid she is brain dead and we have to shut down the machines soon so please call your family members.” Baekhyun felt like the wrecking ball break his body system. He couldn’t  move. He gulped but the dryness in his throat didn’t clear.

“Can I see her?” His voice was rugged and it hurts but he couldn’t notice the small pain he felt. Nothing hurts more than the news he just received. The doctor nodded, ushering him out his office. Baekhyun turned to the doctor. “Give me some time to be with her. At least for a few days.” Baekhyun slowly walked to his mother’s ward. He stood by her bed and held her hand. His other hand took out his phone and called his father.

Baekhyun let a few tears escape as he waits for his dad to pick up.

“Yoboseyo?”

Baekhyun bit his lip to stop himself from breaking down. “Appa”

The voice on the other end was serious. “Baekhyun, if you called to play a joke, I’m going to hang up. I have an interview in two min-”

Baekhyun sniffed and a few more tears escaped. “Omma”

His father stopped, obviously shocked to hear Baekhyun crying. His father’s voice was full of worry as he talked. “What happened? Why are you crying? Did something happen to your mother? Is she okay? Are you okay?”

Baekhyun looked at his motionless mum, the monitor beeping her weak heartbeat. “Omma collapsed. She has brain tumour and bumped her head hard. She lost a lot of blood. She-” Baekhyun paused and took a deep breath. “She’s brain dead. They’re going to shut her down”

He could hear his father gasping on the other side. “I’m coming home. Don’t need to fetch me from the airport. Baekhyun, call Mrs Lee. Your omma is important to her too” Baekhyun nodded even though he knew his father couldn’t see him and hung up.

He opened Mrs Lee’s contact and texted her.

To: Sunny’s omma

Please come to Seoul Hospital. Omma is in a critical condition. She won’t make it. She’s brain dead and they are going to cut off the machine

Baekhyun then opened EXO’s group chat with Taeyeon in it.

Baek: Omma just collapsed. She’s brain dead. They’re going to shut down the machine

Baekhyun sighed as he locked his phone and sat down. He held his mum’s hand and brought it to his cheek. Baekhyun let more tears fall. “Omma… Please wake up… I know you’re a strong woman. You can do this”

Baekhyun cries his heart out when he hears the monitor increasing, a sudden spike in her heartbeat before returning to the weak beat. Baekhyun knows his mother heard him. He cried as he held her hand. “Come on omma… Open your eyes… Appa is coming back. Don’t you want to see Appa? It’s your anniversary in three days, omma. You have to wake up”

Baekhyun cries again. He really felt hopeless. He felt like he was wishing for something that would never happen. There were no survivors after being declared brain dead for two days. He cries late into the night and the dark blankets of sleep.

When he wakes up, he wasn’t sitting on the chair beside his omma but was lying down on the sofa a few metres away. He blinked twice before slowly sitting up, headaches hitting him like bricks. “Whoa Whoa… Easy there”

He looked up and saw Taeyeon walking towards him. She removed her mask and cap. “Your dad is downstairs. Had to send him down or he wouldn’t eat.” Baekhyun gazes at Taeyeon in shock. “What are you doing here? You have a busy schedule don’t you?”

Taeyeon shrugged, taking a seat beside him. “I can’t just let you suffer the pain alone. Should anything happen, I am here for you” She placed her hand on his shoulder and gave him a reassuring smile. Baekhyun returned it with a small smile. “How’s Sunny? Is she doing okay?”

Taeyeon nodded. “She’s our happy pill. The group I mean.” Baekhyun shook his head. “She’s mean when she hates me” Taeyeon grinned. “She doesn’t hate you, Baekhyun. She sees you in a good light so don’t worry.” The ward door opens and Baekhyun sees his father walking in.

He immediately stood up and greeted his father with a man-hug. “I’m so sorry Appa. I wasn’t able to protect omma” Mr Byun pulled away and patted his son’s back. “It’s not your fault. Don’t blame yourself, Baek” “Umm…” The father and son turned to find Taeyeon wearing her disguise again. “My apologies, I have to go. If there’s anything, do call me. I’ll take my leave.” Baekhyun gave her a small smile again. “Thanks noona” Taeyeon smiled and bowed before leaving.

Mr Byun watched as Taeyeon exited. Once the door closed, he turned to Baekhyun. “Is she your girlfriend?” Baekhyun sighed and shook his head. He was in no mood to joke. He knew his dad was just trying to ease the tension but Baekhyun was having none of that.

[Day 2]

Any relatives they had came and went, promising to come to Baekhyun's mum's funeral before leaving. Today, Baekhyun  and his dad were alone. Mr Byun folded his arms as he looked at the time. "Something's weird. Jung would be here by now" Baekhyun who was sitting beside his mother's unconscious body looked at his father in confusion. "Jung who?"

Mr Byun mentally facepalmed. Of course Baekhyun wouldn't know  "Sunny's mother... Lee Jung."  Baekhyun took out his phone and checked. There were no replies from Mrs Lee let alone Sunny. He opened his chat with Taeyeon and sent her a message.

Baek: Is Sunny with you?

Taeng noona: Baek... her mother...

Baek: What happened?

Taeng noona: Her mother just got into an accident this morning

Baek: How? Which hospital?

"Baekhyun ah" He looked up and saw Taeyeon wearing her disguises with teary eyes. Baekhyun walked over to Taeyeon. "She's in this hospital too?" Taeyeon looked down and nodded, crying. Baekhyun carefully hugged Taeyeon, letting her cry on his shoulder as he patted her back.  "Shh... It's okay. Tell me what happened" Baekhyun brought Taeyeon over to the sofa and sat down beside her . Mr Byun stood in front of the two.

Taeyeon sobbed. "Mrs Lee was over at my house to see Sunny and that was when Sunny and Mrs Lee found out about your mum. In the rush, Mrs Lee let me take her car with Sunny while she drove mine. We had connected a phone call with each other to... to give directions to come here. Our car had to stop at the traffic light but Mrs Lee had went ahead. A car from the other lane was turning at a fast speed. We heard Mrs Lee screaming. My car had flipped over and Mrs Lee was in it."

Baehyun held Taeyeon's hand to comfort her. "What about Sunny? Is she okay?" Taeyeon shrugged, sniffing back her tears. "She ran out of the car while the two cars were still spinning from the collision. She risked herself to get Mrs Lee out of my car. Last I saw Sunny, she's a crying mess" Mr Byun gave a small smile. "Two bestfriends landed in hospital"

Baekhyun sighed. "Dad can you take care of Taeyeon noona? I'll go and check on Sunny. Noona, what level are they on" Taeyeon wiped her tears only for more to stream down her face. "This level. The operation theatre" Baekhyun gave her a comforting smile before running to the same operation theatre he was waiting at yesterday.

Baekhyun stopped running when he sees Sunny crying a few metres away from him. Like Taeyeon, Sunny was wearing her disguise, a simple black cap shadowing her face, her dark red hair hidden underneath it. He slowly walked and sat beside her. "Hey" Sunny looked up at him. This moment for the two felt like deja vu. It was exactly the same way Baekhyun had first talked to Sunny when EXO were still bullying her. Sunny blinked before looking away and wiping her tears. "sorry to hear about your mum"

Baekhyun shrugged. "it's fine. Did you hear anything about your mum?" Sunny shook her head. "I'm... sorry" Baekhyun leaned forward. "For what?" Sunny looked at Baekhyun. "Taeyeon told me. You were searching for me and the whole time I only ignore you. Was it true? You ignored the boys?" Baekhyun shook his head. "Did not... Okay fine. A bit" Sunny gave a small smile. "Please don't do that"

Now that felt like the tenth time they met four years ago. The operation theatre door opened all of a sudden, making the two stand. The doctor was the same doctor Baekhyun had met yesterday. "I'm sorry Miss. Your mother has sadly passed away" Sunny gasped, tears immediately coming back as she collapsed in her seat and cried."Doctor!" A nurse came running. "The patient we treated on yesterday! Her pulse is gone!" The doctor runs. Baekhyun panics and follows. What if it's his mum?

Turns out it was. Taeyeon was crying and so was his dad as they stood outside the room. Baekhyun approached them. "What happened?" Mr Byun wiped his tears. "Her pulse disappeared all of a sudden. What about Lee Jung? What happened to her?" Baekhyun turned and realised that he had left Sunny behind. He turned to Taeyeon. "Noona, I'll need you to go and comfort Sunny. Her mother just passed away"  Taeyeon gasped and ran off. Mr Byun sighed. "Two bestfriends dying at the same time... Just like their promise"

Baekhyun looked at his dad weirdly. "Omma will survive this. And what do you mean just like their promise dad?" Mr Byun looked at his son sadly. "Your omma and Lee Jung promised not to leave each other's side even if it means dying. She's brain dead Baekhyun. She won't be able to survive" Baekhyun gasped. "Why are you saying this dad? Do you want omma to be dead so much?" Mr Byun shook his head. "I love your mum. But she's brain dead and won't be able to wake up. I'd rather let her go with Lee Jung then sleep forever only to have her breath cut off all of a sudden." Baekhyun slowly nodded, undestanding what Mr Byun meant.

Taeyeon on the other hand, tightly hugged Sunny. "mianhae Sunny ah" Sunny sniffed. "aniya... gwenchana. Omma was anxious to see Baekhyun's mum. It's not your fault"