My Reason for being in Heaven - L.Joe

From Naughty to Nice

 

"You see, I wasn't born into a well-off family. We weren't even middle-class. My dad… he was a son of a… He knocked my mum up and ran off. So we lived through whatever part-time jobs my mum could find…" L.Joe's voice trailed off, as his mind started playing flashbacks, while telling his story.

 

"Umma!" A bright, six year old L.Joe smiled up at his mother. "Oh~ Byunghun-ah~ How was school today~" L.Joe's mother's face bore every sign of tiredness on her face, but still smiled for her son.

"I meant some new friends! One was called Chanhee! He was so nice!" L.Joe hugged his mother and told her about the rest of his days at school.

As days and years went by, L.Joe's mother smiled less and less, while L.Joe himself worked more and more.

"Byunghun-ah! Another round of samgyupsal and kimchi for table 5!" The shop owner hollered. 17 year old L.Joe ran around the busy barbeque shop, beads of sweat covering his forehead as he brought plates of food round to various tables.

"Thank you so much." L.Joe deeply bowed to the owner, receiving his pay. "You’re a good kid. Say 'Hi' to your mother for me." The owner smiled and waved goodbye.

"Yes! I have money again!" L.Joe cheered. Because of his inability to pay for schooling, he worked three part-time jobs.

L.Joe walked up countless flights of steps to finally reach his home. He lived in a flat in an isolated part of the Seoul, where gangsters would usually hang out and graffiti left no place untouched.

"Umma, I just go-" L.Joe's sentence was cut short when he heard from inside his mother's room. He sighed and went to the sofa, a poor substitute for his bed for the part 10 years.*So, she's having fun… I see…* L.Joe looked at the white envelope his pay was in and chucked it on the floor, lying on the sofa and covered his eyes with his forearms, as a memory of his mother's words surfaced in his mind.

"Look, Byunghun-ah. I know that… I've been slack lately and haven't been earning income… But, I think I've found someone I love. We're going to get married. But… He… He doesn't want to have any kids. I-I'm sorry Byunghun but…"

L.Joe's eyes were beginning to sting from the threatening tears and a sourness was felt in his nose. *Even my own mum doesn't want me…*

 

Working eight hours straight at a convenience store, L.Joe was completely beat. *I got paid again today… How much more do I have to earn before I get enough to pay this month's rent again?*

L.Joe was busy calculating his limited income when he felt a pair of hands on his shoulders. L.Joe's senses jerked up and his body tensed.

"Hey, little boy." A gruff voice was heard behind L.Joe, breathing down his neck. L.Joe's breath was caught in his throat. He didn't need to turn around to know that he was in trouble.

"Just hand over the money, and no-one will get hurt." The gruff voice sounded again, but this time, L.Joe heard more footsteps shuffle behind him, meaning there were more than just one man.

"No!" Without hesitating, L.Joe ran for his life, hugging onto his hard-earned money. *If I let them take this… Umma… She'll be kicked out of the house.* L.Joe closed his eyes tighter and ran harder.

But his legs soon gave way. Working all the jobs had worn him out to the core, and the men soon caught up.

"Stupid kid, you think you can run away from me!? This is what you get for even trying!" The leader of the gang kicked L.Joe in the stomach, a sharp pain shooting through L.Joe's body.

"Get him! And bring me back the money," the leader ordered. "Yes, sir!" The men complied and started beating L.Joe senseless.

Looking through the gaps of the men's feet, he tried reaching out but his hand was harshly stepped on. *And I was so close… My house… is just there…*

Kicks, punches, everything was thrown at L.Joe. He was now coughing up blood and staring blankly ahead. He knew his end was coming for him. *There's no use in fighting back… I might as well leave this place called Earth…*

With blood trickling down from his mouth and bruises everywhere, the last thing L.Joe saw was his mother happily linking arms with the man she fell in love with.

*Umma… Live well… You can get married to him now, because I won't be a problem anymore… I wish the two of you… forever happiness…*

"You two have my… blessing…" As he uttered his last words, a single tear fell to a ground and L.Joe rested his eyes forever.

 

You looked down in shame. It was because of a stupid question that you asked that you caused these two lovely boys to remember things that would've been better buried deep in their minds and hearts.

"I'm sorry…" You quietly mumbled, tears falling, in pity and in admiration of the courage and bravery these two boys have to smile and be happy again, as you hugged them both.

-------------------

*sniff*