Puffy Eyes

From Naughty to Nice

 

Your car stopped in front of a cemetery. "Just wait here please," you said to your temporary chauffeur. He nodded and let you have your time.

Carrying a bouquet of lilies, your mother's favourite, you slowly walked in the direction of her gravestone. You weren't wearing any brand names today, it seemed, inappropriate, for something like this. Instead, you wore the dress you truly loved, a dress hand-made by your mother. A simple black dress with thick straps, it criss-crossed at the black and has black lace at the bottom. With a big black bow and the back, it was a dress like no other.

Tears fell and blurred your vision as you got closer and closer to your mother's grave. Taking deep, shaky breaths, you forced a weak smile as you kneeled in front of your mother's grave.

"Umma… I'm here. I-It's b-been a while," you wiped your tears away, pursing your lips into a thin line, trying your best to act tough.

But in the end, all your efforts went to waste as you just started bawling in front of your mother's grave like a child. Year and year again, this was how your day was spent on your mother's birthday. Even your temporary chauffeur was saddened at the sight.

You took short breaths as you lifted your head again. You began cleaning the weed around the grave and wiped the gravestone cleaned.  "Umma, have you been well? Heaven's a good place, right?" You smiled the best you could.

Your mum was watching from above, with God next to her. She too, was weeping at the sight of her child, crying her eyes out. "It's okay, my child," God comforted your mother, "I have sent two angels down to be with her. Don't cry."

Your mother calmed down to slight sniffs. God smiled and left her at peace. *Chanhee and Byunghun… They're doing well.*

You sat in front of your mother's gravestone once you were done tidying up and began to talk about your life for the past year. Without you knowing it, the topic of Chunji and L.Joe popped up.

"Umma, did you know that I've gotten two new friends? They're called Chunji and L.Joe, but their real names are Chanhee and Byunghun. Cute, right? They been with be quite often lately… We've hung out during class and such… I'm actually passing school thanks to them now…" Your voice trailed off.  Your mind was occupied with memories of things that happened between you, Chunji and L.Joe.

Memories of how Chunji tutored your chemistry and how L.Joe tutored your maths, of how you and L.Joe were neck and neck at each other at first but are now (kind of) friends. For the next hours, you spent your time talking to your mother about your two new best friends.

When it was time to go, your eyes were slightly puffy from crying earlier on but any traces of sadness were almost completely gone. You smiled, just talking about Chunji and L.Joe had cheered you up. "Home please," you politely ordered the chauffeur. He nodded his head and took you home.

Even though your father couldn't make it to be at your mother's grave, he came home early, just so he can see his daughter and check if she's okay.

As soon as her heard the keys click in, he ran over to the door and hugged you. "My daughter… are you okay? I'm sorry I couldn't be there this year. I promise I'll be there next year, alright?"

Hearing you chuckle in his embrace was the best sign that he had that you were okay. "It's okay, appa. I'm sure umma will understand. Appa, you're home early today again."

"Yeah. I wanted to spend the rest of the day with you. Come on, I told the chef to start preparing your one of your favourites, beef curry. He should be about ready," you father stretched his neck to see what the chef was up to. "Yay!" You clapped your hands together and hugged your father. "Appa,  you're the best." Your father smiled warmly and hugged you back.

After a very satisfying dinner with your father, something you haven't been able to do in a long time, you went up to your room and rest your puffy eyes. "Goodnight appa~" You sang, as you ran up the stairs to your room. Your father smiled as he waved goodnight to you too but as soon as you were out of sight, his smile fell and turned into a sigh.

He walked over and picked up a picture of his wife, Soohyang. "Soohyang-ah… Did you see ~~~~ today? She's as beautiful as she's ever been. How have you been? Good? Soohyang-ah… it's so hard without you… Why… Why did you have to go to Japan that day… The day the earthquake struck… Why…" Your father knelt to the ground, holding on to your mother's photo tightly, crying muffled cries.

-----------------------

I send my condolences to the people who lost their lives and families during that earthquake. *a moment's silence*

But yeah :) See, you're not all bad ^^ You're actually a sweet girl who cares a lot for her mother T^T

And, apparently, I made PeachCherryProposal unnie and Eyesmileprincess cry for my previous chapter :( I'm sorry! ><