The Importance of Tone in Voice

From Naughty to Nice

 

"Alright, let's get down to what you're really here for," Chunji announced, turning to you. "Right, sure. I'm meant to be here to be taught… how to tell people off nicely? I thought I was being nice…" You mumbled to yourself.

L.Joe came out of his room, rolling his eyes. "Yeah, nice my . You tell people off in the worst way ever. Your dress is this, you're ruining the designer's reputation, you're hurting my eyes, this and that," L.Joe imitated your voice.

You frowned at his bad imitation. "Yah! I do not sound like that. Jerk…" You scrunched up your nose and turned your head away from him. L.Joe stuck his tongue out at you and 'Hmph'-ed too.

Chunji just chuckled. "But seriously, ~~~~-ah. Here, I'll show you a video. See if you can spot the difference between what she does and what you do."

Chunji guided you to his room and opened a browser on his computer. He put on a video of a well-known fashion critique on.

As soon as you saw the horrible outfits that the people came out in, you scrunched your face in disgust. *Eurgh. How can people even show their faces wearing those disgusting mismatch combinations… Yuck.*

As soon as you saw the woman's outfit, ideas of how you could improve it immediately popped into your head. But before you could comment on it, the kind-looking fashion critique spoke. And as if she took the words right out your mouth, she started pointing out her faults and wrongs, telling her about her mistakes and giving her advice on how to improve. You expected the girl to start crying and run out of the studio, but instead, the girl nodded and even took down some notes. You were stunned.

*How is she not crying already!? They always cry when I say it!* You screamed in your head.

Chunji paused the video and turned to you. "See? She did the exact same that you would've done. But the girl was very accepting. She was even taking down notes and thanking the critique. Why do the girls scream and cry when you do that," Chunji questioned.  "Exactly! I have no idea why. I mean, I would probably tell them the exact same things!" You argued.

Chunji sighed and facepalmed. *Gosh she is dense.* "Look, ~~~~-ah. Watch the video again and pay close attention to the tone of voice she uses." Chunji pressed the replay button and this time, you concentrated on the critique's speech and her way of putting words together.

Your mouth formed an 'O' shape as you realised what you were doing wrong. The critique would word everything nicely, and spoke in a warm and kind tone, while you on the other hand, would just scream the 'advice' & 'constructive criticism' at the girls and then storm off.

"Yeah, that's what you're doing wrong," Chunji pointed. You nodded. "But it's in my blood! I take after my mum! She was really blunt as well!" You fought back.

Chunji just sighed. "Well, we'll be trying to extract that out of your blood today. L.JOE!!!" Chunji called.

L.Joe casually walked into Chunji's room and leaned against his doorframe. "Yeah, what?" "I've got a special job for you to do… come here," Chunji mischievously grinned, as he guided L.Joe into his room.

Chunji pulled out a wig and some clothes from behind L.Joe's closet. "What the f… When did those- OH MY GOD! NO WAY! NOOOO" L.Joe yelled.

"This is going to be fun," Chunji remarked, smirking.

-------------------

Guess what's gonna happen ;) Haha

I kept my promise ~~ Whee~~ :D