FOURTY-FOUR

Dreamcatcher: Every Summer Has A Story

MISA’S POV
Finally after you were settled and installed in your room you sat behind your desk and booted up your laptop starting up Skype ready for your dearest friend Jamie to video call you. You both have been so busy that you haven’t really spoken to one another after your crazy little adventure in Korea. Just when you were watching a random video on YouTube, your Skype was beeping and a new window with Jamie’s profile picture appeared on your screen. “Unniiiii” you cheered as soon as you clicked on the green phone icon accepting the video chat. “Hiyaaa” Jamie waved greeting you in Korean looking rather sleepy to you. “How are you?” she smiled while you were adjusting the light in your room. “I am doing pretty okay” you smiled “I finally saw Yonghwa again after three weeks”. “You have? That’s great!! I am sure you two missed each other now haven’t you? Yes right?” Jamie chuckled followed by a cough. “You’re having a cold?” you asked since she sounded a little nasal as if she was. “Oh yea, it’s the change of the season. Always gets to my nose” Jamie explained taking a sip from her water. “How was their concert?” she then asked. “Unni, the concert isn’t until tomorrow” you grinned “But hey I am looking forward to it. Gosh I missed this guy so much it’s ridiculous” you confessed again. “Well at least you got to see him again today right? How was it? What did you guys do? Did you show him around?” Jamie asked firing questions at you. “What can I say? It felt so good to see him again, but it was rather awkward” you explained. “Eh? What do you mean awkward? You two were all over each other before you left” Jamie wondered looking rather confused by your statement. “Yeah, it really was awkward. You will not believe what I am about to tell you though” you continued. Jamie frowned “Oh? I’m so curious yeaaaaa” she sing-songed.

“Unni, CNBlue had dinner at my house” you started after you took a deep breath. “Really? You invited them?” You shook your head “If only it was me it wouldn’t be as awkward as it was. My oppa invited them. My cousin oppa” you continued. “Ashish?” Jamie asked surprised. “I didn’t know he knew these guys too” “Unni, he doesn’t know them. He only knew about them since everyone started talking about them coming to town for a promotional concert. You know he owns this music store right?” you asked while Jamie nodded to assure you she was following whatever you were saying “Apparently they walked into his store to buy new guitars. Well except for Minhyuk, he got himself drumsticks” and laughed at the thought alone but so was Jamie. “Anyways. But because they wanted to buy such expensive guitars he gave them a deal of 50% off, which he will still make a lot of money on these guitars, but that’s not the point. He settled this deal for two guest list spots and when they asked where they could eat traditional food, oppa invited them for dinner” you continued. “Wow...I would so have loved to see the look on your face” your friend Jamie teased you looking pretty amused. “Hey, not you too. I wasn’t aware of anything really. Yonghwa didn’t know and neither did I. I spoke to him before he had his radio interview asking me out for ice cream. You know how my parents are, they don’t really like it when I go out so late and all by myself. So I didn’t tell him anything yet and I told him I would let him know later tonight” you continued. “And that is when he showed up at your house?” Jamie chuckled coughing again. “Excuse me for a second, I really need to refill my water. Be back in a sec” Jamie excused herself as you watched her get off the bed and disappear.

It was only a few seconds before she returned again with a full glass and made herself comfortable on the bed again. “Okay….go on” Jamie smiled putting on her reading glasses. “Unni are you in a hotel or something?” you asked suddenly changing subject. Jamie nodded “Yea, I am currently in Vegas to pick up some documents for the wedding” and took a sip from her glass of water. “But you were talking, now I am curious. Go on” she chuckled. “Yeah...ah...I was saying….So my mom barged into my room telling me to wear something nice and that we were having guests and I seriously had no clue whatsoever so I did what I was told. Changed myself into this saree I am wearing. I was only downstairs for five minutes before our ‘guests’ came in and I seriously thought I was having a heart attack” you explained. “Ahw” Jamie smiled “Your face must have been priceless though” “Yea yea go and make fun of me but seriously...my parents had no clue about CNBlue’s existence, didn’t know who they were let alone know about Yonghwa and me” you continued. “You didn’t tell them?” Jamie asked surprised. “No….Unni I wanted to tell them so bad, but I seriously have no balls to tell them about it. Bhaiya oppa knows obviously and he also told me to confess to my parents but I just can’t. How do you tell your parents you love a guy that you know they will never approve of?” you sighed but your friend Jamie understood. “I am so sorry it is so hard for you. I really wish there was something for me to say to convince your parents or something. But haven’t they met him now though?” Jamie asked out of curiosity. You nodded “Of course they have. They have met the entire band including the manager. You know my mom just kept telling me afterwards how handsome she thought Jonghyun was and how polite and sweet Yonghwa was. I don’t want to break that bubble. She will not like them anymore when I tell her I have these kind of feelings for Yonghwa let alone confess that we kissed and went out on dates when I was on vacation with you. Aish this situation really is giving me headaches” you murmured.

“Hey listen, for what it’s worth, you two will work things out. And even though I am not around your parents twenty four seven, but from what I know from talking to them when I met them, I don’t think they will dislike these guys because they’re your friends or because you have feelings for one of them. Your parents are very sincere people and just as how they treated me with respect and welcomed me into your family, they have pretty much welcomed them too. I just don’t think your parents are that kind of people. You’re worrying too much because you’re too afraid of what they will say. It’s really not as bad as you think it is. I promise. But you have to talk to them. The longer you wait telling them the more it will eat you and the more complicated things get” Jamie explained. “Unni I hate it how you are always right” and let out a sigh. “Hey but did she let you out for ice cream though?” Jamie asked curious to find out what else happened tonight. “Yea, that’s the funniest part of it all. Jungshin asked if we could all go for ice cream pretending that he didn’t know me just like everyone else. Well of course oppa knew, but surprisingly she allowed me to go. Probably because manager insisted to keep an eye on me. She told me I should have fun” you added. Jamie chuckled “See your parents are not so bad Misa. Honestly, I kind of suspect that your mother or both of your parents already know there is something more between you two” Your eyes grew bigger “Then if that’s the case, why isn’t she saying anything?” Jamie raised her shoulders “Because they want you to tell them how you feel maybe? Misa, you’re 25. If your parents wanted to marry you with a guy, they would have long time ago right?” you nodded because she made a point. “So?” you asked again waiting for what else your friend was going to say “So your parents are letting you off this hook by giving you a chance to fall in love with a guy you like” Jamie continued. “Okay, but Yonghwa isn’t just any guy, he is…” “Korean?” Jamie finished for you.

You nodded “Yes he is definitely Korean. “Hey but they have similar values to what you and your family value right? So how can you judge if you don’t tell them how you really feel? I really think you should. I think the sooner you tell them the better they will understand. Believe me. And if you’re afraid of leaving them or missing them, they will always be your parents no matter where on this planet you live and I am sure if things were to get really serious between you two, Yonghwa would make sure you would see your parents and family regularly. I am not an expert or anything, but I have a pretty good perspective when it comes to people so take my judgement to heart will you?” Jamie chuckled. “Okay, okay, I get it” you smiled. “I will tell them after this video chat” you gave in. “But how are things with you? You look pretty tired and you sound sick” you asked since you thought she looked exhausted and didn’t sound too good. “I am not so bad” Jamie confessed letting out a sigh “But yes I am pretty exhausted. I have spent all day in the zoo nearby entertaining my niece and nephew” “You went to the zoo?” you chuckled “That must have been fun?” you continued while your conversation got interrupted by Jonghyun appearing in sight pecking Jamie’s cheek. “Who are you talking to?” he asked smiling while Jamie looked up at her fiance “I am chatting with Misa” your best friend smiled while your jaw dropped. “Unni, Jonghyun’s with you?” you asked a little surprised again. “Hi Misa” Jonghyun smiled waving in front of the camera before he leaned in to kiss Jamie and disappeared. “Well hiiii” you sing-songed “You two seriously are not over the pda thing” and started laughing. “Still, the same” Jamie sing-songed. “But hey, Jonghyun is with you” Jamie smiled “Yeah he surprised me yesterday by showing up telling me we would go back to Seoul together” You smiled “Ahw, I think he missed you” Jamie nodded. “Well I missed him too. I really can’t wait to leave and spend my life there with him”

“Have you guys already picked a date?” you asked since you were curious. Jamie nodded “Yes we have, but we still have to work on those wedding invites when I am back in Seoul. But I guess it won’t do any harm if I tell you” your friend smiled. “So hey you’re gonna tell me or what?” you smiled. “Yes, yes. We will get married on the 17th next month” “Really? That’s in like less than four weeks though” you added with a surprised look on your face. You knew they were to get married soon because of the babies you’re having, but somehow you didn’t expect it to be as soon as four weeks. “It’s four and a half from now” your best friend reminded you followed by a chuckle. “But yes, it’s going to happen soon and for that, I am pretty ready too. I don’t want to look huge in a wedding dress” she chuckled causing you to laugh too. “You got your wedding dress already then?” you continued since you were fascinated with the beauty of a white wedding dress in the western culture. Jamie shook her head “Nah not yet, but, actually now that you’re asking. I was wondering if you wanted to be my bridesmaid” You blinked not expecting that question. “Oh my god, really?” you cheered “Yes!! I would love to. You serious?” Jamie nodded with a big smile on her face looking back at you “Yes I am bloody serious. And now that you have said yes, there is another favor I would like to ask you” your bestie continued. “Uh, and that is?” you asked about to clap your hands together. “I need you to come to Los Angeles with me” Jamie continued. “No?? Why Los Angeles?” you asked blinking not sure if she was sincere about it or not. Jamie nodded “Yes Los Angeles. I have made an appointment at Kleinfield to find my wedding dress as well as the bridesmaid dresses. It’s like the biggest bridal retailer I know who has what I am looking for in a dress”

“My gosh, unni...of course I will come with, if my parents let me that is” you sighed. “Don’t worry about it, I’ll take care of that because we will make a stopover in India to pick you up” Jamie added trying to convince you. “Okay, but who is we?” “Me, Sodam and my agent” Jamie informed you. “Yes of course. Are they okay coming to India though?” you asked since you did not want to be a pain in the . “I have already discussed that with them. They are also bridesmaids and well Sodam is my maid of honor since you know she’s Jonghyun’s sister. I really feel she needs to be” Jamie explained. “You don’t have to explain to me” you chuckled “She seems a really nice girl”. Jamie smiled “She is. She’s cool. You will like her lots” and Jamie coughed again. “I am so excited and happy for you. I really can’t wait to see what your wedding dress will be like” you cheered overly excited again. “Yea let’s hope I will find it soon because the wedding is almost there” Jamie sighed starting to feel nervous just thinking about it. You nodded “But don’t Koreans usually have a photoshoot before they get married?” you asked yet confused again. “Yes, and for that I have a different dress which I already bought in a boutique in London. It’s so pretty. But you will have to wait to see it because it’s packed in one of my suitcases” your best friend continued. “Ah, you make me curious again. Is it white?” Jamie smiled “Yes it is white looking but not really. It has a little bit of color and some satin and lace. It’s very pretty” she assured you. “Okay, but you’re going to wear two different dresses then?” Jamie nodded again “Yap. I know Koreans have their wedding photo’s taken for their invites and usually also get married in these clothes, but I am also American and our tradition means bad luck to see the bride in her wedding dress before getting married, so yea, I am wearing a different dress on the big day and I want this dress to be different from what I’ll be wearing for the invites so”.

You couldn’t be happier for your best friend. She looked so happy talking about it. “I am really curious on how both of these dresses will be but you definitely should show me what you will be wearing on the shoot though” “Yeah I will, but you will still have to wait with that until I am back in Seoul after I unpacked everything again” she assured you. You nodded “Sure thing! I am so excited and happy for you guys. You’re feeling okay with the pregnancy and all?” Jamie nodded followed by a smile “Yes! Well I am still having my sickness but that part can’t really be helped huh? But other than that, I do feel my body changing which feels really strange”. You chuckled just imagining it. “Ya, but it’s all good right?” “It is. I never thought I would actually say this, but it starts to feel good in a way”. “Having Jonghyun’s baby you mean?” you asked correcting your glasses. “Yes that too. But the pregnancy in general does. I was so scared at first and now I am feeling so much love for these two babies and it almost feels like my body has been ready for it to happen or something” Jamie chuckled.

“Ah unni is having mommy feels. It’s so cute. I can’t wait to see what your babies will look like” you giggled shifting in your chair “But you shouldn’t be scared though. Jonghyun seems a natural when it comes to kids so you two will make great parents. And although I would call other people crazy if they were to get married as quickly as you two, I am convinced you and Jonghyun will be happily married until forever and the universe is helping you guys with that” you continued making your best friend smile like no tomorrow. “Ahw thank you Misa bear” “No need to thank me. It’s true. You should be happy unni and Jonghyun will do that. And if you necessarily need to thank someone, thank the universe” you joked to which you and Jamie both laughed. “I’ll remember that” your best friend agreed. “I really hope you will talk to your parents about Yonghwa and I really hope you two can be with one another soon as well without having to hide your feelings. But I have good faith about it. Your parents might surprise you”. You smiled “That would be really nice, but somehow I am really scared about their reaction. Nonetheless, you’re right. I need to talk to them and tell them” and let out a sigh. “Thank you for encouraging me unni” Jamie smiled “No problem. You do feel like a younger sister to me and I feel like you could use some advice from time to time”. You grinned “Yes. I should sign off so you can spend some quality time with Jonghyun.

You let out a sigh switching off your laptop after you signed off and turned around back to your bed. Your friend’s words were spooking around in your head and no matter how right she was, you just didn’t know how to start his conversation. Maybe you weren’t ready to be confronted with family rejection? Maybe Jamie was right and wasn’t it going to be as bad as you expect it to be. Once you sat down on the bed end you fell backwards staring at the ceiling until your phone was vibrating in your hand. A LINE message from Yonghwa. Your smile appeared back on your face as soon as you read ‘I never realized I missed you that much until I saw you again tonight. I wish you could feel my heart pounding at this state. I’ve enjoyed seeing you again and I really can’t wait for tomorrow. Good night and see you soon. <3 Yonghwa (Oppa)’. You grinned at the fact he mentioned oppa. He really wanted you to call him oppa? You bit your lip replying with the following message ‘I was about to go to bed you know ;) Thank you for taking me out tonight and I’m sorry again for the awkward situation earlier. Thankfully my mom seems to like you guys. I can’t wait to see you and the rest of the guys tomorrow. Miss you :( xoxo Misa. PS: Goodnight to you too….oppa ;)’. With a big smile plastered on your face you put your phone on your bedside table and decided to wash up and prepare yourself for bed. You were very much excited for tomorrow, even if you knew you were probably not going to sleep. Nonetheless, you didn’t want to show up with awful bags under your eyes either.
 



The next  morning you were awaken by your alarm that was going off a little before nine. You felt as if you didn’t sleep at all, but either way you were excited to see the CNBlue boys again before they were going back to Korea. God knows when you had another chance of seeing them again. After you switched the alarm off you slid off your bed and dived into your wardrobe to look for something nice to wear and decided to go with a black and blush pink patterned skirt and a white t-shirt and disappeared into the bathroom to take a shower and do your business. Once you were done washing your hair and drying it you threw your clothes on and quickly went back into your bedroom styling your hair by making it a little more presentable and finished your look with a black jacket and a necklace before you joined your family in the kitchen for breakfast. “Good morning” you sing-songed pecking your mom’s cheek before sitting down at the table putting some cereal in your bowl topping it with milk. “Someone’s in a good mood” your mom smiled pouring you some fresh made tea too before she too, sat down next to you. “You must be really excited for the concert” your mom continued adding some milk and sugar to her tea before sipping it. “I am. I finally get to see their show right?” and quickly took a spoonful of cereal.

“Honey, is there something you need to tell me?” your mom suddenly insisted as she glanced from your oppa back to you. You gave her a confused yet surprised look what it was she wanted to talk about although you had a sick feeling your oppa ran his mouth. You shook your head “What is there to talk about? Am I missing something?”. Your mom smiled taking another sip from her tea. “There is nothing wrong Misa, but I spoke to your brother this morning and he insisted me on talking to you because he did not want to break a promise he’s made to you”. You blinked looking at your oppa giving him the ‘what on earth did you tell ma’ expression on your face. “I think I should leave you two to talk” your brother excused himself while you were playing with your cereal in your bowl stirring in circles. “Did something happen between you and one of those boys I met yesterday?” your mom asked trying to make you confess at least something. You shook your head “No nothing happened. What exactly did oppa tell you?” Your mom smiled putting her hand on your arm. “Honey, that is not what’s important right now. I figured something must have happened when you went to Korea so asked your brother and he said something did happen but told me to talk to you about it instead. “Mom, really it’s not what you think it is. I really didn’t commit any sins and I also didn’t do anything crazy” you assured your mom who kept staring at you.

“Your mom is not blind Misa. Ever since you game back from Korea you have been different as if you were missing something and last night when this gentleman brought you back home, I saw that look on your face I haven’t seen in a long time. Do you have feelings for this young man?” You looked down at your hands not sure you wanted to have such an honest conversation but you also knew you had to share your feelings with someone. How could your parents ever understand if you were keeping your inner feelings a secret? “Mom, I really tried not to like him and I am so sorry if he is not the kind of boy you would like to see me with. If you want me to stop talking to him or seeing him because you rather see me get married to a local boy I would” you ranted as tears were slowly rolling down your cheeks. “Mom, I really did not meant to miss obey you and dad. I am so sorry for not being the daughter you wanted me to be”. Your mom’s heart felt wrenched. She did not know you had all of these feelings all bottled up inside. It made her heart cry too for crying out loud. “Misa honey come here” your mom whispered pulling you in her arms rubbing your back trying hard to soothe you. “Dad and I never thought once you were a bad daughter. You have been the kind of daughter everyone would like to have. I am really sorry too you felt as if you could not talk to us about what’s in your heart” she continued while she made you look at her wiping the tears from your cheeks.

“Misa, you will always be our daughter wherever you are and whoever you decide to love. This is why dad and I didn’t marry you off yet. I was so convinced you would follow your own heart and bring home a man who’s worthy of being with you and I think you just did” your mom added tucking your hair behind your ear. “Mom I am really so sorry. I couldn’t help it. He’s been so sweet to me and he makes me smile every day. He makes me feel special every day too and he even said he wanted to wait for me no matter how long it takes. Who says that?” you murmured while new tears were forming behind your eyes. “You really love this boy?” your mom asked while she your head while you nodded “I think so. I mean, I am not sure if I am ready to say that, but I do want to be with him and get to know him better. He’s a really good guy” you added taking a sniff before releasing a sigh you have been holding in this time. “You know, I so bad wanted to make you and dad proud and follow our traditions and not make things harder” you continued. “Misa, there is nothing wrong with following your heart. You have been the perfect daughter all this time and always helping and being so considerate of your dad and I. It’s time to answer to your heart and do what it tells you to do. Don’t feel bad about it because we will always be proud of you”. There when your mom said these words you were crying a river all over again hugging her so tightly you haven’t done since you were a little girl. “I love you mom”. “I love you too my dear”.

Once you finally caught your breath again and cleaned the tracks of tears from your cheeks, your mom returned with another cup of tea sitting next to you. “Thanks” you smiled wrapping your hands around the cup taking a sip from your tea. “I think now it’s important that me and dad will support your decision. That’s why we really would love to get to know that boy a little bit better. It won’t be an easy thing since I assume he has a busy life, but I hope he understands that you are important to us and that he will accept our invite to meet him personally and have a good chat with him. We want to make sure he’ll be a good man for you” your mom smiled. “I will tell him and ask” Your mom nodded “Let him call us when he has time. We will figure something out. But for now, I think you should get ready and have fun with your friends today. You have been looking forward to this day”. You smiled at your mom pecking her cheek. “Thank you for everything mom and I promise I won’t do anything crazy”. Your mom chuckled “I know you won’t. I trust you to make the right decisions” she assured you before she disappeared back into the kitchen while you finished your tea and decided to go back to your room again to cover up the crying you did earlier with a little bit of make-up and waited for your friends to pick you up for the CNBlue concert. You were on the guest list after all.