Roses of Yesterday

Roses of Yesterday

Chapter 51

 

Jejung groaned again, as he scraped another burnt pancake off the pan. He shook his head to himself, oblivious to Tiffany’s soft gasps. At her husband’s exclamation, Tiffany carefully but quickly bent down to retrieve the envelope’s contents. She pocketed the envelope & notecard in her spaghetti strap empire seam maternity floral dress & pasted a smile on her face. She walked a few steps to her right & opened up a drawer to take something out of it. She shook her head lovingly upon hearing his muttering. Jejung’s heart gave a start as he felt his wife’s hands around his tiny waist. Tiffany tied the black & blue apron that she took from the drawer around his waist. After she tied the bow, Jejung raised her hands to his mouth to kiss them, his lips curving into a smile, “Thanks, honey.” He looked down at the apron & felt its texture, eyes widening in pleasant shock.

 

“Did you make this for me?” He noted the fabric & print of the apron. It was made in the exact same material as his rose pouch. As he touched the front pocket of the apron, he felt some dried rose petals embedded in it. Lifting it to his nose, he confirmed his instincts as he smelt the familiar rosy scent, “It’s beautiful Jagiya, thank you.” He said, & turned around to land a kiss on her lips again. Tiffany pressed her big belly close to him & leaned in to kiss him as well. Tiffany’s nose wrinkled up as she sniffed the air around her, “Something smells burnt again, Yeobo.” Jejung quickly pulled away & looked behind him to see the fifth failed pancake. He grimaced at the mess it made on the pan.

 

Jejung sighed & led Tiffany back to her seat. He smiled brightly at her, “With this apron, I know that I will succeed with the cooking.” He walked over to the apron drawer & leafed through the aprons inside until he found the one he found. It was the pink version of his. Walking back to his wife, he tied the apron around the small of her back. Once done, he got down on his haunches & kissed her belly where the pocket with dried rose petals was sewn, “For luck.” He said, as Tiffany giggled, “We have to have both the rose aprons in order for my cooking to work.” Feeling the renewed adrenaline running through his veins again, Jejung walked back over to the stove & poured in some of the pancake batter. Once the bottom seemed to have puffed up a little, he expertly flipped the pancake & in a matter of a minute, a perfectly shaped pancake was made. He made eight more before calling it quits.

 

Tiffany’s stomach growled, “Are you done yet? We are very hungry.” Tiffany said, patting her tummy as she felt the baby’s kick in agreement. She smiled tenderly upon feeling the movement. Jejung searched through a few drawers before finding the heart shaped large cookie cutter he was looking for. He hummed to himself as he used it on the pancakes, transforming the rounded shapes into hearts. Taking out some maple syrup & strawberry jam, he mixed the two together to make a strawberry syrup kind of concoction. Scooping up a generous amount of the syrup, he put the spatula to his lips to taste it, grinning widely at his own success. He nodded his head this time, “I’m almost done. Just you wait.” He placed the heart shaped pancakes in either plate & then poured a glass of orange juice & then milk before setting them in front of Tiffany.

 

Tiffany clapped her hands in appreciation of the finished meal, “It smells just wonderful.” She said, & used the spatula to spread some of the strawberry syrup on her pancakes, “They are pancakes. I should have known. Is there anything in them?” She asked, starting to cut into the first one. Jejung placed his hand on top of hers, “Wait, feel the pancakes.” Tiffany gave him a quizzical look but did as he said. Tears came to her eyes at the feeling of the hearts, “Thanks, Jaejoong Oppa. They are beautiful. I just know they are.”


“I just want the best for you as always.” Looking down at their plates, he took his knife & fork in his hand, “Come on, let’s dig in. I can’t wait to see your expression as you try this.” Tiffany cut off a small portion of the first pancake & slipped in gracefully inside . She scrunched up her face in deep thought as she chewed. Jejung fidgeted in his chair, preparing for the worst. When Tiffany had swallowed the last of her first bite, her lips moved & formed a big smile, “This is so good. I have never had pancakes like this & the strawberries & chocolate are both so divine.” She felt the baby’s kick again, & gasped. This time, she reached underneath the table & took his hand in hers to let him feel the bulge on her stomach.


“Here, feel here.” She said, pressing his fingers to where the baby’s heartbeat was in the lab, “Do you feel it?” Jejung felt around the area & found out that the baby was indeed cooking at that moment & he could feel it’s heartbeat. His eyes misted over a bit as he felt his child kick at him again, “This is just so wonderful. There’s a little life in her, you know?” He cooed to her stomach, “Now, be nice to mommy & don’t kick her too much to let her feel pain. You hear?” Tiffany her belly lovingly, “Thank you.” They enjoyed the rest of their breakfast & Tiffany still pretended to avoid the memory of the envelope & notecard.

 

The baby kicked joyously underneath Tiffany’s belly. With each kick, she flinched slightly but smiled nonetheless. Siwon roamed his stethoscope piece all over her belly, listening to the baby’s every movement & heartbeat. He smiled like Tiffany with each movement of the baby. Jejung, however, wasn’t amused. He flinched each time Tiffany flinched but unlike her, he didn’t give a small smile afterwards. Jejung glared at his best friend, “Hey, do you know what you are doing? You are hurting her new resident doctor.” Tiffany & Siwon laughed loudly at his remark & Siwon removed his stethoscope from Tiffany’s flesh, pulling down her blue short sleeve scoop neck cuffed maternity t-shirt but Tiffany stopped his hand, “Wait, Siwon Oppa.” She said, & reached out to take Jejung’s hand to place it on top of her womb, “Feel.”

 

Jejung shot daggers at Siwon’s smiling face once more before doing as instructed. Tiffany flinched again, & so did Jejung but when he felt the kicking of the little feet within her belly, he smiled widely, just like his wife. Tiffany could hear his smile & could just see the joy brightening up his face, “You are just like a little kid too, Yeobo.” Jejung looked at her sheepishly & Tiffany pressed her hand against his cheeks, feeling its smooth texture before moving it down to touch the corner of his mouth where she could distinctly feel the smile, “Still want to beat up the new resident doctor, Jejung? I think it is the baby hurting her but since it is underneath your precious wife’s belly, you wouldn’t possibly think of hurting her or your baby, right?” Siwon grinned widely & laughed at the sudden surprised expression on Jejung’s face, “Very funny, NRD.” Jejung said, & threw Siwon a mock punch on the shoulder.

 

Tiffany giggled behind her hand, “I think so.” Jejung bent down & kissed her cheek, “Okay, okay, I was way out of line. How did I know that NRD would actually know what he is doing.” He said, looking at Siwon, “Hey, that better not have been an insult!” Siwon retorted, as his laughing stopped. Jejung shook his head, “Oh, I wouldn’t dream of insulting you, new resident doctor.” It was Siwon’s turn to mock punch him on the shoulder back. Jejung grinned as he rubbed his now sore shoulder. After massaging it for a couple of seconds, he reached down to help Tiffany off of the examination table, making sure that she didn’t trip over the step beneath the table.

 

When she was properly standing back on the ground, she turned to Siwon & reached out her hands to grab his, “Thanks Oppa, for everything.” Siwon smiled & bent down to kiss her on the cheek, “Anytime, babe & little babe.” He said, talking to her belly as well. Tiffany laughed & shook her head, “Hey, I’m about to get off my shift soon & Sunny’s meeting me at the front, would you like to go out & have dinner with us? My treat.” Siwon said. Tiffany nodded her head happily at the suggestion but Jejung shook his head which made Siwon laughed again, “Okay, Jejung’s shaking his head while Tiffany is nodding. Who should I believe?” Jejung looked at his wife in hurt surprises while Tiffany turned back to face him in bewilderment.

 

“Why can’t we go eat with them?” Jejung put his hands around her waist, “I wanted to have you & the baby all to myself tonight. You have been going shopping with Sunny for baby supplies more than I have.” Tiffany shook her head, “That’s because you have been busy with the recording of your new cd. I didn’t want to bother you so much when you do finally get to come home to rest.”


“It is never bothersome to be with you. When will you learn that already? I love being around you."

 

“But.” Jejung put his finger to her pale pink lips, “No more buts, bother me anytime you want, for every little thing.” He thumped his chest & put his hand to his heart, “This heart beats for you & the beating is most strong & alive when you are around.” Siwon rolled his eyes at his best friend’s shameless display of affection & love for his wife, “Hey, there’s someone else here, you know.” He said, motioning with his hands above his head to get Jejung’s attention. Jejung ignored him & Tiffany smiled at him again, “My heart beats for you too, Jaejoong Oppa.” Jejung bent his head down to capture her lips with his but at the groan of Siwon, he stopped, “Okay, fine, no more.”


“Good, save that for when you two are alone.” Siwon said, rolling his eyes again, “For embarrassing the NRD, my wife & I will gladly accept your invitation to dinner to make amends.” Jejung said formally, “Seriously dude, marriage has done weird things to your head.” Siwon stuck out his forefinger & put alongside his head, turning it in a circle, giving Jejung the sign, “You will feel the same way when you get married, Siwon Oppa.” Tiffany said softly, which caused Siwon to blush a deep red. He shook his head, “What are you talking about? I’m not planning to get married anytime soon.” Jejung nodded knowingly, “Sure, whatever you say.” With that said, he & Tiffany walked out of the door, leaving a speechless Siwon behind.


They walked out just in time to see Sunny turn around the corner. Jejung laughed lightly at the sight of her, “Speaking of the girl in question, here she comes, sweetheart.” Tiffany laughed lightly, too. Sunny approached them, smiling “What’s so funny?” At that moment, Siwon came out & opened his mouth wide, “Hey! I will have you know!” He spoke loudly, but at the sight of Sunny, he clamped his mouth shut, “Have you know what?” She inquired. Siwon shook his head, resembling a guilty little boy, “Nothing.” Sunny didn’t believe him but decided to not press him any further. It might take longer than she wanted, “Whatever.” She linked her arm with Tiffany & they proceeded down the hall, walking to her car.