Roses of Yesterday

Roses of Yesterday

Chapter 4

 

“Son, today is your first day of school at SKY university. Be careful & be nice to others. Don’t be arrogant & snobby just because you happen to be a well known singer!” Mrs. Kim rubbed the corner of her son’s mouth, wiping off something invisible. Jejung squirmed out of her grasps & exclaimed, “Mom, I’m not a kid anymore. I can take care of myself.” Mrs. Kim looked really offended, “Hey, just because you are twenty five doesn’t mean you still aren’t a little boy anymore. If you don’t want me to fuss over you, stop playing around with all these trampy girls & find a good decent one to bring home for once.” Jejung opened his mouth to say something but was interrupted by his father & friends coming into the room. They laughed at their matriarch’s behavior towards the youngest person in the family, “Your mother is right. Be good in school & find a good girl to make your wife & give me some grandchildren.” Mr. Kim’s eyes darkened, “Don’t let yourself get over your head again, & reject the good people in front of you.” The whole room became quiet at that comment as they remembered very well what had happened to Jejung when he started to get popular. It wasn’t an incident that anyone could ever really forget.

 

Jejung got up from his chair & gave his mother a kiss on the cheek, “I promise that I will be good mom, don’t worry about me.” He smiled & his mother could do nothing but give in, “& besides, I have Siwon by my side to keep me in control.” He laughed at his mother’s expression, “Choi Siwon, that good for nothing flirt. I think that he needs to find a decent girlfriend to keep him in control, too.” Siwon was like another son to her since he had basically been friends with her son since they met each other in Japan & studied together in high school & some university. They were the best of friends but were separated when Jejung left to pursue his singing career & Siwon went back home to Seoul to help out at his family business & new restaurant.

 

Jejung then walked over to his father who gave him a hug as well. When he walked up to Keunseuk, however, he got a pounding on the back, making Jejung cough at the pressure. Keunsuk smiled, “You deserve that since I have to act as your chauffer on your first day of school.” He grinned even wider as he said in a falsetto voice, “Now, don’t forget your lunch money, honey, & be a good boy & listen to the teachers.” Keunsuk blinked his eyes rapidly for extra effect, “Keunsuk!” Everyone in the room yelled, at his mock portrayal of his aunt aka Mr. Kim. He received a smack on his back for that by his aunt. He & Jejung both rubbed their backs & hobbled over to the kitchen door & left the room, saying their goodbye. They walked out of the house to Keunsuk’s blue Ferrari & he drove his friend to school.

 

There was a huge crowd of whispering & giggling girls outside the school as they waited for their new fellow famous student to arrive. Some held posters that said ‘I love you Jejung’ & ‘Please tutor me Jejung’. Jejung & Keunsuk laughed inside the car at the last poster. They got out of the car & at the front of the school, Siwon appeared with a big grin on his face. He was like the other girls, had a poster in his hand. It was a poster that said ‘Please me mine Jejung & give me a big fat kiss’. It was a heart shaped poster with little pictures of Jejung when he was younger. They were all old photos of him in embarrassing moments like with a diaper on his head or crying over his spilled apple juice & one that had him covered from head to toe in chocolate pudding. Jejung laughed out loud at that & walked over to Siwon to give him a friendly punch & then grasped him in a brotherly bear hug. The girls were in hysterics then as they saw the three handsome guys showing so much brotherly affection towards each other. They then laughed really loud as Jejung pretended to grasps the struggling Siwon’s face in for a kiss.

 

Two dark suited bodyguards appeared by Jejung’s side as he quickly hugged Keunsuk to say thank you for the ride. Keunsuk, with his eyes twinkling, left & said that he wouldn’t be back to pick him up at the end of the day but that was only because he knew that Siwon & him were going to hang out at the end of the day & he would be responsible for driving Jejung home.

 

As Jejung made his way towards the school finally, he told his bodyguards to leave, saying that he wanted to just be a normal student & didn’t need to require special attention. Much to the protests of the two bodyguards, they eventually relented & left. Jejung & Siwon then walked to the first building which was the literary art hall since they had english there first.


While he was making his way there, a girl in some oversized clothes with hair blowing behind her & headphones over her ear zoomed passed Jejung & Siwon without noticing since she was really into the music with a smile on her face. Jejung & Siwon quickly got out of the way & the bodyguards came rushing back to protect them. Before Jejung & Siwon could get a good look at the girl, they were already ushered into the hall. Jejung glanced back, hoping to catch a glance at that girl but was unsuccessful as these girls were already crowding into him again. He had caught a rosy sweet smelling scent when that girl rode past him, giving him a sense of familiarity. He thought, ‘Could it be her?’