Roses of Yesterday

Roses of Yesterday

Chapter 23

 

“Honesty, at first I didn’t know.” Jejung’s voice rang out inside the entire restaurant & all eyes were on him except for those of Keunsuk & Sooyoung who were too engrossed in their own bliss. They stared into each other’s eyes, holding onto each others’ hands, “Are you really happy?” Keunsuk asked her, wanting to be certain that this was the right step to take. They had been going out for over eight years. Sooyoung laughed lightly & smiled, “Of course, I’m happy. If I wasn’t, I wouldn’t have accepted your proposal.” She touched his cheek with her hands & it. He leaned into it & felt the band of her new ring make contact with his porcelain, flawless, milky skin. Keunsuk kissed the inside of her hand, “Thank you for making me the happiest man on earth.”

 

Jejung smiled at his friends, knowing that they weren’t listening to any of his tribute to them. He winked at Tiffany from the stage which made her laugh as she knew that he had also noticed Keunsuk & Sooyoung, “Thank you for coming to my side.” Jejung ended with the last lyrics to the song. The whole restaurant erupted with applauses & Tiffany beamed up widely at him. It was the first time she had ever seen him perform publicly & it was a real gift for her as it was for Keunsuk & Sooyoung. Jejung cleared his throat on stage, trying to get Keunsuk & Sooyoung’s attention. They hadn’t even noticed that he had ended the song. He wasn’t even sure if they had even heard any of it. He laughed into the mike & tried clearing his throat again, but to no avail.

 

The laughter from the people in the restaurant finally snapped the two lovebirds out of it. They laughed too, when they pulled apart & returned to reality with a healthy red glow on their faces. They clapped even though it was too late since the song had already ended three minutes ago. Keunsuk still whistled his appreciation, “Thanks for the song. It was great.” Jejung looked at him skeptically with one thick eyebrow raised, “Really, it was great.” Keunsuk assured him. That seemed to satisfy Jejung enough. He motioned Tiffany to join him up on the stage & she shook her head in protests.

 

He motioned again, but still she wouldn’t budge. She was starting to blush at the attention that people were starting to give her. Some cameras started to go off, signaling the presence of the press. Jejung stopped with his hand motions to glare at the photographer, “I would really appreciate it if you didn’t take anymore photographs please? This isn’t a press conference.” Jejung finally got off the stage to pull Tiffany away from her spot & went up to Keunsuk & Sooyoung, “Congratulations to you both.” He told them, with a grin, giving Sooyoung a kiss on the cheek & a brotherly pat on the back for Keunsuk.

 

Jejung got all serious & held Tiffany’s hand tightly in his, “As you two know, it is mid-winter break at the college.” The newly engaged couple nodded their heads, wondering where this was going. Jejung directed his attention to Sooyoung, “I would like to take this time to bring Tiffany with me to our family chateau in the mountains, near the lake.” Tiffany gasped out a ‘No’. Jejung patted her hand, “We have been at school this whole time that we have been back together & it would be nice for us to be able to go have some time to ourselves for a change. I have talked to Siwon about this & he agreed that it is a good idea. In fact, he will be bringing Sunny along to get to know her better.”

 

Tiffany pinched him on the arm, “What are you talking about? I already told you that I have to work. I need to work. This is no time for a break.” Sooyoung laughed & got up from Keunsuk’s embrace to put her hands on Tiffany’s shoulders, “Tiffany, girl, you are one of the best sous chefs & one of the most hard-working workers that I have ever seen. You deserve a break & also, give a chance for my idiot brother to get to know Sunny better. They are after all engaged, you know?” Tiffany looked into Sooyoung’s sincere eyes & couldn’t help but think that it would be a good opportunity for Sunny & Siwon. Plus, it was true that she had never had a break before. She never had time to relax with all the schoolwork & bills she had to pay back then from managing so many jobs. She sighed & looked up at Jejung’s pleading eyes.


She touched his cheek & as Keunsuk had done when Sooyoung did that, he kissed the inside of her palm. She shivered from the touch & smiled. The snapping of cameras were heard again, & Jejung, Sooyoung & Keunsuk glared at the photographers. The paparazzi just never stopped. Tiffany directed Jejung’s gaze back to her & he looked back her, waiting for her answer, “Yes, I will go on this little rendezvous with you.” Jejung whooped & grabbed her in a hug that lifted her off her feet. He was so happy that he took her over his shoulder & was whisking her away already. Tiffany pounded on his shoulder blades while kicking her feet to try to get down. He ignored her & was already out of the door but pausing to look over his shoulder, “See you two in a week!” He shouted back to his friend, who had matching bemused expressions on their faces.