Shopping for Materials

An Inventor's Mistake

"Come on, Myungsoo! Why are you so slow?" Yoomi said impatiently. She went over and pulled his arm. "The faster I buy the materials, the faster I can fix my machine."

"Alright, alright, I'm coming," Myungsoo said, still walking slowly.

"But you're not coming fast enough," Yoomi replied. She went behind him and started pushing him. Myungsoo let her push him and she ended up pushing him all the way to the store.

As they got to the store she stood next to him and panted. "I really need to cook less food for you, I think you gained a few pounds from eating too much," she said tiredly.

"Yah, it's your fault for cooking so much for every single meal," Myungsoo said.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," Yoomi replied. She looked at the store in front of her and a big smile grew on her face. "Now, I can finally go back to inventing," she said happily. She quickly went in the store with Myungsoo following behind her. Her eyes lit up as she eyed everything in the store. "Woah, look at all of these things. They're like antiques."

Myungsoo went over with a shopping cart. He amusedly watched her as she examined all of the items. "Have you ever seen any of those things in the future?" he asked.

"No, it's the first time I've seen these things. They're so different from the ones in the future," Yoomi replied. There was a sparkle in her eyes as she was looking at the items.

 "Actually, it's my first time seeing all of this also. This is the first time that I've ever been in a store like this," he said as he looked around.

"Really? You don't even buy things from here and try to fix any of your appliances?" Yoomi asked.

"Why would I fix them myself if I can just pay someone else to fix it?" Myungsoo asked.

"Because it's more fun that way," Yoomi said while smiling. She went back to looking for the things that she needed. "So I need this, and that," she said as she started throwing things into the cart. A few hours later, she was finished shopping. "There, I think that's about it," she said as she threw the last item in.

Myungsoo's eyes widened as he looked at the cart. "You're going to buy all of this?!" he said as he pointed at the mountain of items in the cart.

"Yeah, is that too little?" she said as she also looked at it. "Maybe I should get some more."

"No," he quickly said. "I think this is enough," he said, worried that she would get more. They went over to the check-out station and started to put the things on the conveyor belt. Everybody else in the store were baffled at the amount of items that they were buying and kept staring at them, but neither of them noticed. Once they were done putting everything on the belt, Myungsoo went over and paid for it. "Umm, do you want bags for these sir?" the worker asked.

"Yes, please," he replied as he swiped his card.

Yoomi was surprised by how much it all costed as she stared at the screen. "Here's your receipt," the worker said. Yoomi took the receipt and looked at it. "Everything seems right," she said as she checked to make sure that the worker didn't make any mistakes. "But why did it cost so much?"

"It's because you bought a lot of things," Myungsoo replied.

"But in the future it doesn't cost this much," Yoomi said still looking at the receipt. "Oh well, I'm going to repay you later anyway." She went over and started to pick up the bags. "Myungsoo, come over and help me," she said while holding 5 bags in each hand. Myungsoo quickly went over and picked up the rest of them.

"Yah, why did you buy so much?" he said as he struggled to hold all the bags.

"Sorry, but my machine has a lot of needs," Yoomi replied. As they were trying to walk, the bag suddenly ripped causing everything inside to spill out.

Both Myungsoo and Yoomi put the bags that they were holding down and tried to pick it up. "Yah, Song Yoomi, you're really complicating my life!" he said frustratedly as he picked the items up.

"Sorry," Yoomi replied apologetically.

"Umm, I think I can help," somebody said.

Myungsoo and Yoomi stopped what they were doing and looked up to see the worker that checked out their items.


 

Myungsoo was pushing the shopping cart, with all of their items in it, as they walked home.

"That lady was nice to give us the shopping cart," Yoomi said merrily.

Myungsoo looked at all of the people that were staring at them. "Yah, what are we going to do with a shopping cart and because of you, all of these people are going to think of me as a maniac who buys too much of these things," he said as he pointed at the things inside the cart. "They might even think that we stole this shopping cart."

"Don't worry too much. An average person's memory is not that great usually. Even if they see your face, they will most likely forget in a few hours or days," Yoomi said in a carefree manner.

"But look at me, how can a face this handsome be so forgettable?" Myungsoo said as he pointed to his face.

"I was totally wrong when I said that he wasn't vain," Yoomi mumbled to herself. "What?" Myungsoo asked. "Nothing," Yoomi quickly replied. She then faced him and examined his face.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

She was still staring intensely at him. "Hmm, I have to admit, you are good looking," Yoomi said. "But good looking people are pretty forgettable. Symmetry is the key to beauty for people, but unless you have a distinctive feature that makes you a little bit different from everybody else, then people can forget you easily. They will need to see your face a few more times before they can really remember you." Yoomi turned back to the cart and started to push it.

"Hey, are you coming?" Yoomi asked.

Myungsoo was standing there, dumbfounded. "Was I just insulted?" he asked himself.

"Yah, if you're not coming then I'm leaving without you," Yoomi said as she started to walk away.

Myungsoo snapped out of it and ran after her. "Hey, wait!"


I'm sorry if this chapter was boring, but I promise that I would finally get to the part where Yoomi starts to invent things in the next chapter. Also, thank you guys for subscribing and commenting. Reading your comments really motivates me to write these chapters. :)