Duck Boat

An Inventor's Mistake

A week later, the results came out and Myungsoo and Yoomi quickly went to check it. 

"Myungsoo, can you see anything?" Yoomi asked while jumping up and down.

"Yes, but I'm not close enough to see our names," Myungsoo replied. 

"Then how are we going to see our rank?" Yoomi asked. 

"Maybe we have to wait until everybody leaves," Myungsoo answered.

Yoomi felt disappointed. "I knew that I should have invented that machine when I had free time," she mumbled to herself. 

"What?" Myungsoo asked as he turned his head to look at her. 

"Nothing," she quickly replied while shaking her head. *I don't have enough patience to wait for this,* she thought. *Come on Yoomi, you need to think of something.* She looked around for ideas when suddenly, an idea popped into her head. 

"Um, excuse me, but can I ask you something?" she said to the boy in front of her. 

The boy turned around to look at her. "What is it?" he asked. 

"Do you know the way to the cafeteria?" she asked. 

"Yeah, it's just downstairs to the left," he replied. 

"Thanks," Yoomi said with a smile. 

"No problem," the boy replied returning the smile. 

"Since you were so kind to help me I want to tell you something," she said.

"What is it?" he asked. 

Yoomi gestured for him to lean in closer and he did. "I heard that there is a contest in the park at this time and that the first place winner would get a scooter as a prize," she said. 

"Really?" the boy said in surprised. 

Yoomi nodded. "Yeah, that's what I heard. I'm actually not so sure if it's true or not, but I saw fliers advertising it. I really wanted to enter, but I can't," she said with a sad face. "Only groups of five can enter the competition."

The boy stared at her in surprise. "Really? Then I can go enter right now?" he asked. 

"Well, you need to be in a group of five, but there is also another problem," she said. "There is not enough people participating in the contest so it might be called off. That's why I won't be surprised if you go to the park right now and see the hosts waiting for people to enter it."

"Really? Is what you're saying true?" a girl said. She was eavesdropping into their conversation and really wanted to win a scooter. Before Yoomi could answer, the girl already shouted in a loud voice, "Hey everybody, there's a contest in the park right now and the first place winner gets a scooter as a prize!"

Everybody heard the announcement and they were all interested in the contest. They all rushed out of the school and went to the park.

The boy that Yoomi was talking to was about to leave with them, but his arm was held back. "Wait," Yoomi said, holding onto his arm. She checked to see if the crowd of people were gone before talking again. "I was lying, I'm sorry. I only wanted to be able to see the school's ranking so I lied about the contest," she admitted. 

"So there isn't a contest in the park right now?" the boy asked, confused. 

Yoomi nodded. "Yeah, don't waste your time to go there," she said. "And sorry for lying to you, I just really didn't want to wait until the crowd dies down to see the ranks." 

"So you were lying to me this whole time?" the boy asked with his eyebrow raised. 

"Yeah," Yoomi said feeling sorry. After all, he seemed really nice and she almost made him walk to the park for a non-existing contest. "You're not mad right?"

The boy chuckled. "Of course not," he said while smiling. "I was going to do the same thing, but you beat me to it."

"So you're not mad right?" Yoomi asked again. "No hard feelings?"

The boy shook his head. "Nope, and I should actually thank you. Now I can finally see the ranks without having to wait until the end of lunch," he said. 

"Oh, then that's great," Yoomi said happily. "I hope that you did well on the exam by the way." She smiled and waved goodbye, but before she left, the boy spoke up. 

"Wait, can I know your name?" he asked. 

Yoomi turned around to answer him. "Song Yoomi, my name is Song Yoomi," she answered with a smile. "It's nice to meet you by the way." She waved once more before walking to Myungsoo. 

"Song Yoomi," the boy said with a smile. He then glanced at Yoomi one last time before checking his rank and walking to the cafeteria. 

"Who was that?" Myungsoo asked. 

"Who was what?" Yoomi asked confused. 

"The guy that you were talking to," he said. 

"Oh, that guy," Yoomi said, finally understanding who he was talking about. "It was just a guy that I almost tricked into thinking that there was a contest in the park," she replied. 

"Wait, what contest in the park?" Myungsoo asked. 

"The one that made everyone leave so suddenly," Yoomi replied.

"Wha-, you know what let's not even go into it," he said. "Back on topic, who was that guy?"

"Like I said, it was just some guy," Yoomi said. 

"Just some guy?" Myungsoo said. "Didn't I tell you about men and wolves?"

Yoomi nodded. "I know, you did," she said. "But trust me, I'm pretty sure that that guy isn't like one of the wolves that you're talking about. He seems really nice."

"Just because a guy looks nice, doesn't mean that he is nice," Myungsoo said. "I told you to watch out for guys like him."

"Don't worry, I'm super sure that he is not a wolf," Yoomi reassured. "Now let's go see our rank. I didn't go through all of that trouble for nothing." She went over to the chart and checked for their ranks. "Hey Myungsoo, it seems like you're ranked the 31st."

Myungsoo widened his eyes in disbelief. "Really? I ranked the 31st?" he quickly looked at where Yoomi was pointing and he saw that he was indeed, ranked the 31st. "Wow, how in the world did I even rank that high?"

"It must be because you were studying so hard," Yoomi said. 

Myungsoo didn't say anything, he was still staring at his rank in astonishment. Before he knew it, his eyes were already trailing up the chart out of curiosity of the person in the first rank. He was surprised, but at the same time not surprised, by the name that he saw. "Wow, it seems like you're first," he said. 

"Yeah," Yoomi replied. "But let's not focus on my rank and focus on yours." She turned to look at him. "I think we should celebrate for your big accomplishment."

Myungsoo smiled as he looked at her. "Yup, I think so too. It's the first time that I've ever ranked this high," he said. "But something's weird."

"What's weird?" she asked. 

"You're already mentioning about our celebration for this, and I know for sure that you know that our celebration plan was to go on a date," Myungsoo said with a playful smile. "Did you actually want to go on a date with me that badly?" he asked with a smirk.

Yoomi blushed and quickly shook her head. "No," she denied. "Why do you keep saying that? I only want to go celebrate because you did so well on the exam. I just want to be nice."

"Alright, whatever you say," Myungsoo said before walking away. "But you shouldn't deny it. I can tell that you really wanted it to be more than just a friendly date." He kept teasing her and it only made her face become red from embarrassment. 

"But-" Yoomi started to say, but was interrupted by the teacher. 

"Oh, Yoomi," Mr.Yong said as he approached her. "Did you see your score? It's truly amazing that anyone would score that high."

"I don't understand what you mean," Yoomi said. 

"What do you mean you don't understand, you got a perfect score on your exam. I haven't seen that since who knows how long," Mr.Yong said impressed. 

"Oh, I didn't know that I scored that high," Yoomi said. 

"If you keep up with that, you might actually be able to skip a few grades," Mr.Yong said. 

"Wait, skip a few grades?" Yoomi said. 

"Yeah, you might even graduate right here and now and just go on to college," Mr.Yong said. 

"Does that mean that I would graduate before everyone else?" Yoomi asked. 

"Yup, keep it up and you'll start college before all of your classmates," Mr.Yong said before walking away. 

"Oh no," Yoomi said. "I think I need to lay low and do worst on the next exam."

Myungsoo looked at her enviously. "Wow, I'm really jealous of your brain," he said as he put both of his hands onto the side of her head. "How big is it? Is it as big as Albert Einstein's brain?" He then tried to measure her head with his hands.

"No, it's not. It should weigh about 3 pounds, but female brains tend to be smaller than males," Yoomi answered. "But truthfully, brain size doesn't determine intelligence."

He took his hands off of her head. "But I still want your brain," he said. 

"But you can't have it. My brain is one of my most valuable treasures," she said. "Without it, I don't even know what I would do. I probably would just sit there, and watch t.v all of the time just like you." She shivered at the thought and shook her head. "Nope, I definitely do not want that."

"Hey, did you just insult me?" he asked. 

Yoomi gave him a wary look. "Maybe," she cautiously said. 

"What's so wrong about watching t.v all of the time anyway?" he asked. "It's better than making things that almost kill other people."

"That was only once, and the reason that you almost died the other time was because you were unfortunate enough to encounter a spider," she said. 

"But it was your fault for shrinking me," he said. He then tried to change the subject. "Okay let's change the topic and stop talking about that traumatizing moment. I think that we should go on our celebratory 'date' on Saturday."

Yoomi thought about it. "Alright, sounds good to me," she said. "But what time are we going?"

"10:30," Myungsoo replied. "You'd better not oversleep!" he said while pointing at her. 

"Don't worry, I won't," Yoomi said. "Besides, it's you that should be worried about oversleeping, Mr.I-won't-wake-up-on-a-weekend-until-it's-the-afternoon." She then stuck her tongue out at him before running away.

Myungsoo watched her run away with a shocked expression. "Yah!" he yelled. "Come back here, don't accuse me of oversleeping because I don't oversleep!" he shouted before running after her. 


 

"What should I wear?" Yoomi asked herself as she went through her closet. She looked through all of her clothes and took out a t-shirt. She then walked to the mirror in the bathroom and held it in front of her. "No, this isn't it," she said with a sigh.

Yoomi wasn't the type of girl that really cared about her fashion. On a normal day, she would only slip on a pair of jeans, a t-shirt, and sneakers, but today wasn't a normal day. Today she's going on a 'friendly' date with Myungsoo and she wanted to look her best. Besides, this was the first time that she would hang out with a friend.

She walked back to her room and put the t-shirt back into the closet. "Why is it so hard to pick out an outfit?" she said in frustration. "I wonder if boys have to worry about this too?" she asked out of curiosity. 

In Myungsoo's room, he was having the same dilemma. "What should I wear to make myself look good in front of her?" he asked himself. "What style would she like the most? Cute, y, casual, chic, or cool?" He picked out an outfit that he considered cute. He then looked in front of the mirror and shook his head. 

"Nope, this isn't the one," he said while putting the outfit back. "How about this one?" He picked out another outfit that he considered cool and looked in front of the mirror again. "No," he said while putting it back.

He huffed out of frustration. "Aish, why is it so hard to pick out an outfit?!" he said, frustrated. 

It took the both of them 2 hours to finally pick out an outfit. 

"This is the one," Yoomi said while smiling in satisfaction. 

"This is the one," Myungsoo said, satisfied with his outfit.

They both stepped out of their rooms at the same time and was surprised when they saw each other. 

Yoomi was wearing very simple clothes, a loose-fitting black and white striped shirt and shorts. Myungsoo was wearing a white t-shirt, grey and white striped cardigan, and jeans.

Myungsoo blushed as soon as he laid eyes on her. *Man, she looks really cute,* he thought. "Um, I guess we should go now," he said awkwardly.

"Yeah, let's go!" Yoomi said excitedly. "By the way, you look nice," she complimented.

"Thanks," Myungsoo replied. *Great, Kim Myungsoo, you just let the girl compliment you first. What kind of guy are you?* "You too," he said. 

Yoomi thanked him and they left the house and started walking. "So where are we going?" she asked. 

"Wait a minute, we're going on a date to celebrate my success and you didn't plan anything?" Myungsoo asked. 

Yoomi shook her head. "No, did I need to plan something?" she asked. 

"I knew that you were going to say that," Myungsoo said. "That's why I already prepared everything."

"That's great because I really didn't plan anything," Yoomi said. 

"Seriously, nothing?" Myungsoo said in disbelief. "Not even a present?"

Yoomi shook her head again. "Why, do you want a present?" she asked. 

"Forget it," Myungsoo said, clearly disappointed. 

They arrived at a pier and saw duck boats lined up next to each other. 

"What are we doing here?" Yoomi asked. 

"We're going on those boats," Myungsoo said as he pointed at the boats. 

Yoomi furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "But where's their motor? How are we going to move it without a motor?" she asked. 

"It's a duck boat so there isn't a motor. We have to pedal if we want to get anywhere on that thing," Myungsoo replied. "Haven't you been on one?"

Yoomi shook her head. "No, and I haven't seen one either," she said. "But wow, they look really fun!" she said excitedly. 

Myungsoo smiled. "Then let's go," he said. 

After paying and putting their life jackets on, they got on and started to pedal. 

"Wow," Yoomi said with a big smile. "This is so much fun!" she said while pedaling.

"Are you really excited from just pedaling a duck boat?" Myungsoo asked. 

Yoomi nodded. "Of course, this is the first time that I'm on something like this so I'm going to enjoy it to the fullest," she said. "I can't believe that I didn't think of this. If only I did then I would've made one myself."

They continued pedaling on the Hangang River. 

"You know," Myungsoo said. "I've always wanted to go on a date with a girl that I like on a duck boat. It's quiet and we could get to know each other more while pedaling," he said while staring into the distance. 

"You seem like quite a romantic," Yoomi said. "Even though you don't look like it."

"Hey, I'm not a romantic," Myungsoo said, defending himself. 

"Whatever you say," Yoomi said looking skeptical. 

Myungsoo looked over at her. "How about you? Where would you want to go on a date?" 

Yoomi thought about it. "I don't know, this is the first time that I've thought about this," she said. 

"Really? Not even once?" Myungsoo asked. 

Yoomi shook her head. "No, I was too busy inventing things to think about it," she replied. "Especially my time machine, it took me 3 years to complete it."

"But it's still amazing that you completed the time machine in only 3 years. People have been trying to invent one for centuries, but they weren't able to do it," Myungsoo said. "But back on topic, just think about it now. Where would you go and what would you want to do?"

Yoomi took a moment to think. "I don't know. I guess as long as I'm with the person that I like then we could do anything and go anywhere and I'll have no problem with it," she answered. 

Myungsoo nodded his head in understanding. Then there was something else that he was curious about. "Hey Yoomi, have you ever had a boyfriend before?" he asked. 

"No, never," Yoomi replied. "I've already told you before, why are you asking again?"

"Oh right, you did," Myungsoo said. He was actually very happy to hear the answer again. "But at that time I was still trying to get over my close encounter with death so I kind of forgot."

"It was your fault for letting your eyes off the thing for too long," Yoomi said. 

"But it was your fault for making it and asking me to come with you in the first place," Myungsoo said. "You even suggested for me to play with it."

Yoomi thought about it. "Hmm... touche," she said giving him the point. 

Then there was a moment of silence. 

Wanting to break the silence, Myungsoo spoke up again. "Since you haven't had a boyfriend before, do you want me to act like your boyfriend for a day?" he asked. He was hoping in his heart that she would say yes. 

"No," Yoomi replied. "Why would I want that?"

Myungsoo felt his hope being washed away by her answer. "But I thought that all girls wanted a boyfriend," he said. "Most of the girls in our school would squeal to death even when I just ask to borrow a pencil," he said. "They were all like, 'OH MY GOSH, MYUNGSOO OPPA! YOU CAN HAVE MINE AND YOU CAN KEEP IT IF YOU WANT. DON'T TAKE HERS TAKE MINE!'" He did an impression of a high school girl and it made Yoomi burst out in laughter. 

"Haha, they actually said that?!" Yoomi asked as she laughed. 

Myungsoo nodded his head. "Yeah, some of them even looked like they were about to faint," he said. 

"Aye, there's no way," Yoomi said looking skeptical. "You're exaggerating too much, Myungsoo."

"But it's true!" Myungsoo said. 

"Nope, I'm not believing you,"Yoomi said as she stubbornly shook her head. 

"Then at least let me prove it to you," Myungsoo said. 

"Prove what?" she asked. 

"That I can move any girl's heart with or without trying," he said. Yoomi didn't look like she would say yes. "Come on, please? Let me prove myself, it's just for one day," he said desperately. He gave Yoomi a puppy-dog face and Yoomi couldn't help herself, but to give in. 

"Alright fine," she said reluctantly. 

"So you're really agreeing?" Myungsoo asked. Yoomi nodded while regretting her decision. Myungsoo smiled in satisfaction. "So since you agreed, I'll be your boyfriend for the day."

Yoomi nodded in understanding. "Yeah, I know," she said. 

"And whenever I try to do skinship with you, you cannot push me away or refuse it no matter what," he said. 

"What?! We didn't agree on that!" Yoomi said, surprised. 

"Oh, but you did. You agreed to let me be your boyfriend for the day so you have to take the skinship," Myungsoo said with a smirk.  

Yoomi was dumbstruck and Myungsoo knew that he won this argument. When Yoomi was out of her daze, she finally said something. "Alright then, do your best. I'm already 100% sure that I won't even flutter," she said confidently. 

"Oh, I will," Myungsoo said. *Song Yoomi, just you wait. I'll make your heart beat so fast that you'll be wondering if you have a heart problem.*


 

Well, it seems like they're finally on a date even if it's a friendly one. Also, thank you infiniteentop and anitaklr24 for upvoting! You guys are awesome! :D And I hope that you all have a great weekend! *waves goodbye*