Lame Jokes and No Love Potions

An Inventor's Mistake

“So all of my clues are definitely pointing to her,” Yoomi explained.

“I knew it,” Myungsoo said. “Of course it was her. I suspected her the whole time.”

“But why did you suspect her?” she asked.

“Because she’s evil,” he replied matter-of-factly. “Don’t you remember what she did to you?”

“Of course I remember,” she said. “But why did you suspect her when you didn’t have any evidence to make that conclusion?”

“I just have a really good intuition.”

“But you shouldn’t jump to conclusions when you don’t even have evidence,” she said. “That’s what I learned from Sherlock.”

Myungsoo looked at her. “But you don’t have any evidence either,” he pointed out. “You’ve got the fingerprints, but you don’t even know if it matches with hers or not.”

Yoomi nodded. “You’re right, but I’ll try to see if they match later,” she said. “Also, I remembered when I first saw the jar in my backpack. It wasn’t even sticking that much out of my backpack, but she was able to see it. Her eyes even looked back and forth between me and the teacher, and her lips even twitched a little. It definitely looked like she was hiding something.”

Myungsoo thought about it. “But how do you know for sure?”

“I don’t,” she replied. “But I have those small evidences that kind of prove that it’s her. Now I just need to find more evidence.”

“And how are you going to do that?” he asked again.

Yoomi smiled. “I have a plan.”


 

“Why does it feel like you’re always making me commit a crime?” Myungsoo asked as he hid behind the wall.

Yoomi looked at him. “We’re not committing a crime,” she replied. “We’re just following her to see if my deductions were right or not.” She then looked back at Heajung and saw her walk around the corner. “She’s moving, she’s moving!”

They both quickly got out from behind the wall and followed Heajung. “But don’t you think that our disguises are a little too suspicious?” Myungsoo asked. He looked at his reflection in a window and saw that he indeed looked very suspicious with his black sunglasses, black mouth mask, and a black hoodie. “I look like a celebrity that’s trying to hide from the paparazzi.”

“You look completely fine,” Yoomi said.

“But look at you,” he said. “Why do you get to wear the normal looking clothes?”

Yoomi looked at herself and saw that she was wearing a white hoodie, and only her fake glasses to hide her identity. “I’m dressed like this because it’s what I can find in my closet,” she replied. “It’s your problem that you have so many black items in yours.”

“But can’t I at least have your glasses instead of these?” He pointed at his sunglasses. “I think these sunglasses are making me look even more suspicious.”

“But you look perfectly fine.”

“But you said that I can borrow it.”

“Yeah, I know I said that, but you can only borrow it if I let you.”

“But why can’t I borrow it now?”

“Because I need something to hide my face.”

“Then let’s switch glasses.”

“No.”

“Come on, please?”

Yoomi then remembered what she had in her pocket, and decided to agree. “Alright fine,” she said. She then took the item out of her pocket and gave it to him. “But you have to wear this.”

He took it and looked at it with a confused expression. “Why do I need to wear a fake mustache?” he asked with furrowed eyebrows.

“Because it helps hide your identity better,” she replied.

He looked at her weirdly. “I don’t want this,” he said as he gave the mustache back to her.

“Why won’t you wear it?” she asked back.

“Because it will make me look stupid.”

“No it won’t.” She then peeled the white layer off to reveal the sticky part of the mustache before placing it above his lip. “See, you look way more mysterious.”

He had a lot of doubt that he actually looked mysterious with the mustache on, but he checked his reflection in the mirror anyway. Once he saw himself, he couldn’t believe what he looked like. “I look like the monopoly guy, but with hair on my head,” he said. Yoomi couldn’t hold it in anymore and finally burst out laughing. Myungsoo looked at her with narrowed eyes. “I knew it. You’re just messing with me aren’t you?”

Yoomi shook her head, but kept laughing. “No, I’m not,” she replied. She then gave him a thumbs up. “You look awesome by the way.”

Myungsoo knew that she was just messing with him so he immediately peeled the mustache off. “Ow!” he cried from the pain. He then rubbed his upper lip and glared at her. “You made me hurt my upper lip!”

Yoomi didn’t care that much that he was mad since she was too busy laughing at him. “Ahaha, you totally caused it yourself. You’re the one who ripped it off too quickly,” she said while laughing. She then started feeling a cramp in her stomach. “Myungsoo, stop. You’re making me laugh too hard.”

“Stop what?” he asked.

“Being stupid.”

He looked at her in disbelief. “But it was you who placed the mustache above my lip!” he yelled. Yoomi started laughing again. “It’s not funny,” he said as he crossed his arms. “The skin above my upper lip still hurts you know.”

Yoomi finally stopped laughing after a few minutes, much to Myungsoo’s relief, and they finally started following Heajung again.

“Look, she’s going into the café,” Myungsoo said.

Yoomi nodded knowingly. “I was right, she was going to come here,” she said.

Myungsoo looked at her with furrowed eyebrows. “How did you know that she would come here?” he asked.

“Easy, I looked at all of her social media and was able to track a pattern in her daily activities,” she answered. “Every Sunday she would either go to this café or 2 other different ones. And today, since she didn’t come here in like 6 weeks, she was most likely to come here out of all the other cafés.”

Myungsoo looked at her amazed. “Wow…” he said with wide eyes. “How did you figure that out by just looking at her social media?”

“It’s easy,” she replied. “Everybody has a pattern if you look close enough, and I was just able to figure out hers. Also, Myungsoo…” She turned to look at him. “It seems like she really likes you. I kept seeing her posting things about you, and it seems like she really likes you.”

Myungsoo furrowed his eyebrows. “So… why are you telling me that?”

“Because I think that you should give her a chance,” she replied.

He looked at her in disbelief. “No. Never! Why in the world would I give her a chance?!”

“Because who knows, maybe she’s the one who you will end up with or maybe even the one who you will fall in love with.” She felt sad from thinking about him with another girl, but she tried to hide it. “Who knows, if you don’t give her a chance or any of the other girls a chance then how would you find the one?”

“But I don’t need to give the other girls a chance,” he replied.

“Why not? Did you already find a girl that you like?” she asked out of curiosity. A part of her wanted him to say yes since she wants him to live a happy life with someone he loves, but another part of her wanted him to say no even though she doesn’t understand why she wanted him to say no.

Myungsoo looked into her eyes. He remembered all of the memories of him being with her, and all of the times where he felt like he was the happiest person alive just because she was with him. He noticed his heartbeat rapidly increasing and a hint of blush creeping up on his cheeks, and finally, he knew why it was happening and why it kept happening. “Yes,” he replied seriously. “I already found her.”

Yoomi looked down at the ground, her heart broken in a million pieces. *Yah… Song Yoomi… why are you so sad that he already found the girl that he likes? You should be happy, you should be happy for him.* She finally raised her head up and smiled. “That’s great then. I hope that she likes you back.”

“Yeah…” He looked at her with soft eyes. “I hope so too.”

Yoomi looked away and tried to change the subject. “Let’s go in before she leaves.” They both went in and sat at a table near Heajung, but not too close in case she suspects them.

“But would following her help us get any evidence?” Myungsoo asked as he held the menu up to cover his face.

“Of course, when someone commits a crime their behavior would change.” Yoomi nodded towards Heajung. “See how she looks a little antsy?”

Myungsoo looked at Heajung, but didn’t see a difference. “No, see looks the same to me.”

“No, look closely.”

Myungsoo did as he was told, but still didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. “Nope, I still don’t see it.”

Yoomi sighed. “People these days really need to know how to look at small details,” she mumbled. “Alright, now look at her. Don’t you see that she keeps looking around? That shows that she’s a little bit more wary now. And when she’s not looking around then she’s in a daze. That shows that she’s thinking about something. She’s also tapping her foot on the ground, tapping her forefinger on the table, and looking around some more. That shows that she’s anxious.”

Myungsoo looked at Heajung carefully and saw that she really was doing those things. “Oh...” he nodded in understanding. “I see it now.”

“Good, now we have to find some more behaviors that might show that she’s guilty.”

Myungsoo nodded and they both started to watch Heajung without having her notice them. Heajung stayed at the café for the entire day, which meant that both of them also stayed there the entire day.

“Did she leave yet?” Myungsoo asked as he drank his sixth glass of juice. “I already drank 6 glasses of juice, 5 cups of coffee, and ate 8 different cakes. I think that I’m starting to get a stomach ache.”

Heajung finally got up, paid, and left the café. “Yup, she’s leaving,” Yoomi said. She then took her sunglasses off and pulled her hood off of her head.  

“Then why aren’t you following her?” he asked.

“Because I got enough evidence and reasons to tell me that I was right about my deductions.”

“Are you sure? All she did was sit there and go on her phone the whole time. There was nothing that seemed suspicious.”

“No, there was. Didn’t you see how her eyes would widen a little and she would jump whenever somebody called her on the phone?” Myungsoo shook his head. “Myungsoo, you seriously need to pay attention more.”

“But I was, and she was doing nothing out of the ordinary,” he said. “Even if she was doing what you said that she was doing, I definitely didn’t see her do it. I’m not a genius like you.”

“It doesn’t take a genius to see those things. You just have to pay attention to the small details,” she replied.  “But let’s go home now. I have enough evidence to prove to myself that she is the culprit. All that is left is to gather evidence that would convince other people that she is the culprit.”

Myungsoo nodded and took off his mouth mask, Yoomi’s fake glasses, and pulled his hood off of his head. “Then I’ll go pay.” He got up and was about to walk towards the counter, but Yoomi stopped him.

“No, I’ll pay. I still have some money left,” she said.

“It’s fine, just let me pay. You still have to pay me back remember?”

“But then I would have to pay for myself also. I can’t let you pay for me when I still have a lot of debt to you.”

“Don’t worry about this one. It’s on me so you don’t have to worry about this going into your debt to me.”

“But-“

Before she could say anything else, Myungsoo already went to the cash register and paid for the both of them. He then came back and saw that she was frowning.

“You should have just let me pay,” she said.

“But I didn’t want to,” he said back.

They then walked out of the café, and started towards home. It was already dark out and they were walking in a street that didn’t have that many people walking by.

Yoomi frowned. “You really should have just let me pay,” she said again.

“But I didn’t want to,” he repeated. “And you should be grateful that I paid. When would you find such a nice and handsome young man like me that would pay for you?”

“Why do you keep calling yourself a handsome young man?” she asked.

“Because I am.” He glanced at her. “Don’t you think so too?”

Yoomi shook her head. “Nope, I still think that you’re an ahjussi,” she said teasingly.

Myungsoo frowned. “But you said that you would call me oppa when I’m human again.”

Yoomi stopped in her tracks. “Wait… you actually remember that?”

Myungsoo nodded and also stopped. “Of course, and you should at least call me that after turning me into a dog.”

Yoomi bit her lip. “Dang it, I was so sure that he would forget by today,” she mumbled.

Myungsoo raised an eyebrow. “You were hoping that I would forget?” he repeated. “So you were going to back down from you said and not call me oppa?”

Yoomi gulped and slowly nodded. “Yeah…” she said hesitantly. “I was…”

Myungsoo leaned his face closer to hers. “You shouldn’t back down from what you said,” he said with a smirk. “Do you know what I do to people like that?” Yoomi shook her head. Myungsoo looked at her in the eyes. “I kiss them.”

Yoomi widened her eyes. “No way…” she said with agape. “Even the guys?”

Myungsoo was taken aback by what she said. “No!” he said in shock. “I only kiss girls.”

Yoomi furrowed her eyebrows. “So you only kiss girls,” she repeated. “Are you a player?”

Myungsoo quickly shook his head. “No, I’m not.”

“But you said that you kiss girls who back down from what they say,” she said. “So you must have kissed a lot of them right?”

“No, it’s not like that,” he said, flustered.

Yoomi laid her hand on his shoulder. “Myungsoo, you shouldn’t kiss girls randomly. If the girl that you like finds out about this then she would think that you’re a player and might not like you.”

“But I have never kissed a girl before!” he said while feeling accused.

“Then why did you say that you kiss girls who back down from what they say?”

“I was just joking. I won’t actually kiss them if they do.”

“But why would you joke on something like that? Only players joke like that.”

Myungsoo sighed. “I’m not a player. I only said that because I like to tease you.”

“So you’re not a player…” she slowly repeated.

“No, I’m not.”

Yoomi nodded. “Okay, I believe you.”

Myungsoo sighed in relief. “Finally, you believe that I’m not a player.”

“Yeah, I believe you,” she said with a smile. “Come on, let’s go home now. All we ate today was cake and even more cake.” Myungsoo nodded, exhausted from trying to convince her that he wasn’t a player. Yoomi glanced at him and smiled. *Yes, it worked!* she thought happily. *He completely forgot about me having to call him oppa.*

She smiled happily while walking, but then a question came to her head. “Myungsoo,” she said.

Myungsoo looked at her. “What is it?” he asked. He was still recovering from his previous conversation with her, he had already drained most of his energy trying to defend himself.

“Who is the girl that you like?” she asked back.

He was surprised that she suddenly asked him that question. “Why are you asking me that?”

“Because I’m just curious,” she replied. “So who is it?”

“Just somebody,” he answered.

Yoomi furrowed her eyebrows. “Just somebody?” she repeated. “She can’t just be somebody if you like her.”

“Yeah, she’s not just somebody…” He glanced over at her. “She’s actually the most amazing girl that I’ve ever met.”

Yoomi suddenly felt sad, but at the same time curious about the girl and happy that he found someone that he liked. *Why do I feel… jealous of this girl?* she asked herself. She then shook the thought out of her head and asked him another question. “Can you tell me who she is?”

“Why do you want to know?” he asked back.

“Because maybe I can help you,” she said. “Maybe I can help you start a relationship with her.”

“And how are you going to do that?” he asked.

She shrugged. “I don’t know, but I’ll be able to come up with something. I can become your own personal cupid,” she answered. She then pretended to shoot him with an arrow. “Maybe I can do something like that and you guys will end up dating, but you have to tell me who she is first.”

Myungsoo chuckled at her actions, and then hesitated for a moment before deciding to tell her. “I won’t tell you her name, but I’ll try to describe her,” he said.

Yoomi nodded. “Okay, I’ll try to figure it out,” she said.

He took some time to think before talking again. “The girl that I like has big, bright eyes and has long brown hair.”

Yoomi furrowed her eyebrows. “But a lot of girls have those features,” she said. “How am I going to figure out who the girl is when a lot of girls are like that?”

Myungsoo stared into her eyes. “But my girl has the biggest and the brightest eyes,” he said. “Brighter than any other girl out there.”

Yoomi furrowed her eyebrows even more and shook her head. “Nope, I’m still not sure who the girl is. Can you tell me her personality instead?”

Myungsoo nodded. “She’s kind, so kind that she would forgive someone who bullied her, smart, and by smart I mean very smart. She’s even smart enough to be a genius. And she’s weird, weird enough to wear fake glasses even though she has perfect vision and the only reason that she wears it is to look smart.” He looked at Yoomi, who was wearing her fake glasses that she switched with him before leaving, and wondered if she figured it out.

“So that girl also wears fake glasses to look smart,” she said. “See Myungsoo, even the girl that you like does this. You should stop saying that it’s weird to do this now.”

“Why would I do that?” he asked. “It’s still weird.”

“But isn’t it less weird if the girl you like also does this?” she asked back.

Myungsoo looked at her with soft eyes. “Yeah… I guess it is.”

Yoomi went back to trying to figure out the identity of the lucky girl who was lucky enough to have Myungsoo have feelings for her. “Can you tell me her age?” she asked.

“Well, it’s kind of complicated,” he replied. “She’s younger than me, but at the same time she’s the same age as me. And she keeps calling me ahjussi even though I’m not that old.”

Yoomi smiled. “See, I told you that you’re old. Even that girl calls you ahjussi,” she teased. She then got serious again. “But who would call you ahjussi besides from me? And how can you be older than her, but at the same time be the same age as her?” She used all of her brain power to figure out who the girl was and finally came up with some possible answers.

“Is it Jung Soojung? She’s younger than you, but she is pretty mature. So that makes her younger than you, but at the same time the same age as you,” she explained.

Myungsoo shook his head. “No, it’s not her,” he said.

 “Then is it Son Naeun?” she guessed again.

“No,” he replied.

“Are you sure?” she asked again. “Naeun is really smart. She’s ranked the sixth in school, and she’s also very kind. Also, she’s pretty. She even has a whole fan club and everything. It makes sense for you to like her.”

Myungsoo shook his head. “It’s not her,” he said. “Naeun might be pretty, but my girl is beautiful. She’s even more beautiful than anything that you can think of. She looks like an angel, an angel that came from heaven to brighten up this world.”

Yoomi could feel her heart shattering. “Wow, you must really like her to say that,” she said sadly. “And also very cheesy.” She then tried to push away that feeling and focused on finding out who the girl is. After thinking for a while, she gave up. “I can’t do it anymore. I really don’t know who it is.”

Myungsoo held back a laugh. *She’s such an idiot. How does she not know that I have been describing her this whole time?* he thought. “Have I told you that even though she’s a genius, she’s also really stupid?” he said.

Yoomi looked at him puzzled. “But why is she stupid?” she asked.

Myungsoo looked her in the eyes. “Because she doesn’t know that I like her.”

Yoomi looked down. *He really likes her. I can see it in his eyes,* she thought sadly. She then tried to change the subject. “But really Myungsoo, you’re getting really cheesy. I guess that that’s the side effect of getting struck with cupid’s arrow,” she said.

“Yeah, I got struck pretty hard,” he agreed. “Now if only she gets struck by cupid’s arrow then that would be the best thing ever.”

Yoomi nodded. “Yeah, that would make it easier for her to like you back,” she said.

Suddenly, Myungsoo thought of an idea. “Yoomi, do you think that you can make me a love potion or something?” he asked.

Yoomi was surprised by what he said. “No,” she said. “The last time I did that, a mouse fell in love with this cat.” She then remembered what happened next. “Let’s just say that it didn’t end pretty. They didn’t even become frenemies like Tom and Jerry.” She sighed sadly as she thought about the mouse. “Poor mouse, all it wanted was to confess its love.”

Myungsoo waited a moment before asking again. “So… did it work?”

“Yeah,” she replied. “But I’m not making you one. You need to win her heart with your personality, not a love potion. Also, that poor mouse’s love didn’t work out so well either.”

Myungsoo pouted out of disappointment. “But giving her a love potion is way easier,” he mumbled. He then continued sulking when he suddenly remembered something out of the blue. “Wait a minute, didn’t you say that you would call me oppa when I’m human again?”

Yoomi widened her eyes and started panicking. “Um… no.”

Myungsoo narrowed his eyes at her. “But you did.” He crossed his arms. “I almost forgot when you were asking me a bunch of questions before, but I remember now.”

“Dang it,” Yoomi muttered under her breath. “I was so sure that he would forget this time.”

“Come on, I’m waiting,” he said.

Yoomi looked at him and sighed. “Do I really have to do this?”

“You already did it before,” he said. “All you have to do is to say it again.”

“But I only have to do this once, right?”

Myungsoo nodded. “Yup, I already know that I can make you say it again since I already did it so many times. So saying it once today would just be one out of many.” He victoriously smiled at her which made her scowl.

“You’re a meanie,” she said.

“Don’t say that to me or I’ll make you call me oppa 100 times,” he said with a smirk. “You know, I’m actually being pretty nice right now considering the fact that you turned me into a dog.”

Yoomi sighed again before taking a deep breath. “Oppa,” she said quietly, but Myungsoo still heard it and smiled.

“Now say Myungsoo oppa.”

Yoomi already knew that saying ‘oppa’ wasn’t the end, and was already expecting something like this. But that didn’t mean that she was ready to say it. “M-Myungsoo oppa,” she quickly said before running away.

Myungsoo smiled happily. “I really wish that she would call me that every day,” he said to himself. He then realized something. “Wait a minute, don’t I still have 2 wishes?” He thought about it for a minute before nodding. “Yeah, I do. But I’m going to save them. Making her call me oppa all of the time would be too much of a burden on her.” He stood there for a few minutes, loss in his thoughts, when Yoomi came back.

“Myungsoo, why are you standing there talking to yourself?” Yoomi asked. She came back after realizing that he wasn’t walking behind her.

“I’m not talking to myself. I’m just too lazy to walk.”

Yoomi looked at him with a knowing look. “I knew it…” She went behind him and started pushing him.

“Yah, why are you pushing me?” he said as he was moving his feet to prevent himself from falling.

“You’re too slow,” she replied. “If I let you walk by yourself, it would take hours before we reach home.”

“Psh, who cares how long it takes. It’s fine as long as we get back,” he said. He then thought of a joke that he thought was funny. “You’re being way too pushy right now.” He started laughing at his own joke.

Yoomi stopped pushing him and looked at him with a straight face. “Myungsoo, that’s a lame joke.”

Myungsoo stopped laughing and frowned. “Hey, I think it’s really funny.”

“But it’s not.”

“It’s not to you because you have no sense of humor,” he said.

“For your information, my sense of humor is amazing, you know?” she said confidently. “My jokes about electricity are totally electrifying.” She then started laughing at her own joke.

Myungsoo looked at her with an emotionless face. “And you said that my joke was lame.”

Yoomi stopped laughing and pouted. “Really, it’s still not funny?” she asked. “I even dumbed them down since it seems like people your age doesn’t seem to understand the jokes that I tell them.”

“Wait, are you calling people my age stupid?” he asked.

Yoomi shook her head. “No, not at all,” she replied. “I only think that you’re stupid.” She smiled teasingly at him.

Myungsoo frowned at her. “You’re going to pay for calling me stupid,” he said.

 “Like what- AH!”

Myungsoo brought her into a headlock and prevented her from escaping. “Take back what you said about me being stupid, and call me a genius instead.”

“Never!”

“Say it!”

“I refuse to lie!”

“Say it or I’ll drag you home like this.”

“I still refuse! You’re not a genius with a high IQ like me!”

“Fine then.” He started walking with Yoomi still in a headlock.

“Yah! Kim Myungsoo! Let me go!”

“Nope, I will not do that for somebody with such a lame sense of humor and no appreciation for my intelligence.”

Yoomi huffed out of frustration. “You’re such a meanie.”

“I know,” he said with a proud smile. “And I’m proud of it too.”

They then continued walking home with Yoomi trying her best to walk while in a headlock and Myungsoo keeping her close to him while preventing her from falling without her knowing.


 

Yoomi is right, Myungsoo just keeps getting cheesier.XD

Anyway, thank you so much ExoLover2206 for upvoting!^^ It's been such a long time since I've had an upvote.

Also, if you're wondering where the poster and background went, I kind of removed them by accident and there's like no way to retrieve them. So now I'm waiting for my new poster for the story. *sigh* I really want to facepalm myself right now. -_-