Pi: The Exploding Robot

An Inventor's Mistake

"Yoomi-ah~" Sungyeol said as he ran up to her. He then hugged her so tightly that she could hear some of her bones cracking. "I miss you so much."

"Sungyeol... I can't... breathe," she said, trying her best to say everything with the little amount of breath that she had left. 

"Oh, sorry," he said as he let go of her. 

"Yah, Lee Sungyeol!" Myungsoo yelled as he stepped into the classroom. "I left the classroom for one minute and you already hugged her!"

"What's so wrong with hugging my friend? It's been awhile since I've last seen her and you try to break our reunion," Sungyeol said. All of a sudden a knowing smile grew on his face. "Wait a minute, are you jealous?"

"What are you talking about?" Myungsoo asked.

"You're jealous because of me hugging Yoomi aren't you," Sungyeol said as he pointed a finger at Myungsoo.

"No," Myungsoo replied with a poker face.

"Ayy, there's no need to deny. I can see that you're lying," Sungyeol said with a grin. "Come here, I'll just hug you now. I don't want you to be jealous because Yoomi got to hug me first." Sungyeol spread his arms out and walked towards Myungsoo.

"I don't want your hug," Myungsoo said. He put his hand out to stop him. 

"What?! You don't want my hug!" Sungyeol said feeling rejected. "Yah, Kim Myungsoo, I know that you're jealous, but you don't have to keep acting so cold. I promise that I'll hug you first next time. No offense, Yoomi." 

"None taken," she replied. 

Myungsoo rolled his eyes. "I'm not jealous because you hugged Yoomi first and not me," he said. "And who would want your hugs anyway? I bet that people would rather hear Sunggyu's nagging for the rest of their lives than hug you." 

Sungyeol's jaw dropped. "What, who in the world would rather hear Sunggyu nag rather than hug me!" he said. "Right Yoomi, you like hugging me right?" He turned towards Yoomi and gave her the puppy dog look to make her agree with him. 

"Yeah, of course," Yoomi replied with a smile. 

Sungyeol instantly brightened up. "See, Yoomi likes hugging me," he said. 

"What?! You actually like to hug this guy?!" Myungsoo said in disbelief. "Look at him, his only good point is his height and he's terrible at hugs."

"Yah, my height is not my only good point," Sungyeol said. 

"Then what other good points do you have?" Myungsoo asked. 

Sungyeol thought about it. "I'm not sure, but I know that I have more than just height," he said.

"What's with all the commotion?" Sunggyu asked as he walked in with the rest of Infinite. 

"I bet that Sungyeol is arguing with somebody again," Hoya said. 

"But he started it!" Sungyeol yelled as he pointed at Myungsoo.

Myungsoo looked at Hoya. "You know that I didn't start this," he said. 

Hoya nodded, agreeing with him. "Yup, I'm pretty sure that Myungsoo didn't start it," he said. 

"But I really didn't start it!" Sungyeol said feeling accused. "Why do you guys always say that I started it?"

"Because you do always start it," Woohyun said. 

"Oh, Yoomi, that's a cool phone strap you have there," Dongwoo said while walking over to her desk. "Can I look at it?"

"Sure," Yoomi replied. 

"There goes Dongwoo again, saying random things at random moments," Woohyun said with a disapproving shake of the head. 

"But look at this phone strap, it looks so cool," Dongwoo said while examining her phone strap. 

"Yeah, it's really cool," she agreed. "It's even magnetic."

"Really?" Dongwoo asked.

"Yeah, let me show you," Yoomi said. She then turned over to Myungsoo. "Myungsoo, let me see your phone for a moment."

"Wait, why would you need to see Myungsoo's phone?" Sungjong asked. 

"Because I gave the other one to Myungsoo as a pre-" 

Myungsoo quickly covered Yoomi's mouth. "Oh, look at the time. It seems like we should go," he said.

"Mmpf," Yoomi tried to say something, but her voice came out muffled. 

"Yup, you're right Yoomi. Halmeoni is going to be mad if we come late to work," Myungsoo said. He took his hand off of Yoomi and dragged her outside.

"Wait, you work?" Sunggyu asked. 

Myungsoo stopped walking and turned around. "Yup, now goodbye," he said as he waved and continued walking. 

"Wait up, we'll come with you," Woohyun said. 

"Yeah, I want to see what kind of job Myungsoo actually has," Hoya said. "I'm surprise that you even have a job at all."

"Nope, you're not coming," Myungsoo said as he stopped again. "The shop is busy, there wouldn't be any tables left for you guys."

"So you're working at a shop?" Dongwoo asked excitedly. "Do you guys sell food?"

"Yeah, it's a bakery," Yoomi answered. "You guys can come if you wa-"

"Yup, it's a bakery, but no you can't come," Myungsoo said as he covered Yoomi's mouth again. "Like I said, it's very busy."

"Then we'll just stand outside or something," Sungyeol said. He was excited to know that they work at a bakery. "But you guys can give us a discount since we're friends, right?"

"Nope, no discount," Myungsoo said. "Customers wouldn't like it if you guys got discounts and they didn't."

"Then we'll just come and check out the shop," Sunggyu suggested. 

"I said that you guys can't come," Myungsoo said. 

"Why not?" Sungjong asked. 

"Just because," Myungsoo replied. *Aish, these guys, always trying to ruin my alone time with Yoomi.*

"Oh well, we're still going," Sunggyu said. "We're all hungry right now and a pastry sounds pretty good."

Myungsoo pinched his nose in frustration. *I have no choice, these guys are so stubborn.* "Yoomi, when I say run, we'll run," he said quietly into her ear. Yoomi tried to ask why, but Myungsoo's hand was still on . "Alright, now... RUN!"

Myungsoo took his hand off of and grabbed her arm. He then started sprinting out of the school, dragging Yoomi along with him.

"Yah! Kim Myungsoo!" the Infinite members yelled as they ran after him.

"I can't believe that you are that cheap to not give us a discount on the pastries!" Sungyeol yelled angrily. "You know I love food more than anything!"

Myungsoo didn't listen to them and continued to run while pulling Yoomi along with him. They ran for a while before they finally arrived at the store with the rest of the Infinite members nowhere in sight. 

"Yes... they're gone," Myungsoo said, out of breath. 

"Why... did you... make me run..." Yoomi said while trying to catch her breath. 

"Well... you did... the same to me also," he said while panting. 

"That was... yesterday...," Yoomi said. "You know what, forget it. Let's just work." Myungsoo let go of her arm as she tiredly walked into the store. The first thing that they saw once they entered the store was the long line of customers piling up in front of the counter and halmeoni trying to take all of their orders. 

"Halmeoni," Yoomi said as she ran over to her. "Let me do this instead." 

"Oh, Yoomi," Halmeoni said, relieved. "I'm so glad that you're here, I can't take all of these orders by myself."

"It's okay Halmeoni, I'll do it. It's my job after all," Yoomi said. 

"Oh, thank you so much, but I don't know why the shop suddenly became so crowded. Before you two worked here, there were only a few customers that came every day," Halmeoni said. She was about to leave, but remembered something. "And also, before I forget, here are your name tags." She then smiled and left after giving Yoomi 2 name tags. 

"What's that?" Myungsoo asked as he walked over to her. 

"Our name tags, here's yours," Yoomi said. She gave him his name tag and they both quickly wore their aprons and got to work. They told the group of people to split into two lines and the people did as told. Yoomi was in charge of taking care of the left line and Myungsoo was in charge of the right. "Sir, may I take your order?" Yoomi asked her first customer with a smile. 

"Finally, I've been waiting forever," the customer said, irritated. He then looked up from his phone and his eyes widened. 

Yoomi's eyebrows furrowed when she didn't receive an answer. "Sir, are you okay?" she asked. 

"Y-yes," he stuttered. 

"Then may I take your order?" Yoomi asked again. 

"I-I'll just take that one," he said as he pointed at a chocolate cake on display. 

"Oh, you like chocolate?" Yoomi asked. "I also like chocolate. You know dopamine is actually released when you consume chocolate causing that happy feeling when you eat it." She then took the cake out of the display and packed it. 

"Here you go," she said with a bright smile. "I hope that you enjoy it."

"Um, thank you," he said as he took the cake and paid for it. He looked like he was hesitating on something, but then spoke up. "But before I leave, can I have your number?"

"My number?" Yoomi asked. 

"Yeah, I would really like to contact you if you're okay with it," he said. 

"Oh, then sure-"

"Excuse me sir, you're holding up the line," Myungsoo interrupted. 

"Oh, sorry," the customer said before leaving when he saw Myungsoo's glare directed at him. 

"Wait, but I didn't give you my number yet!" Yoomi called out to him. She then pouted when she saw the customer leave the shop. "Aww, but I was about to make a new friend."

"Why do you want more friends when you already have me? I'm already your best friend, isn't that enough?" Myungsoo asked. "You know, people say that having a few really good friends is way better than having a lot of friends that you're not even close to."

"But-"

"No buts, it's unprofessional when you exchange your phone number with a customer when a bunch of people are waiting in line behind him," Myungsoo said. 

Yoomi thought about it. "You've got a point," she said. They kept taking orders until there were no customers left in the two lines…"Finally, we're done," Yoomi said, taking a break. 

"We're not done," Myungsoo said. "We still have to wait until those people leave and also until the shop closes."

Yoomi pouted. "If I knew that people like to eat at bakeries this much then I would've opened one myself," she said.

"But you didn't. Instead you opened a store that sells weird things that nobody would ever use," he said. 

"Hey, people used them and a lot of people went to my store," Yoomi said. 

"But your inventions are dangerous. Don't you remember the shrink ray and the shopping cart?" he asked. "Wait, why am I even asking? I know for sure that you remember."

"But I only sell my inventions after testing them," Yoomi said. 

"So you tested on other people and almost killed them like you did to me?" he asked with a raised eyebrow. 

Yoomi widened her eyes. "Woah, how did you know?" she asked, surprised. "But since you're mentioning my inventions, I have something to show you."

"Is it something that I have to test out again? I swear that if I die because of your invention then I'm going to haunt you forever," he said. 

"Don't worry," she said. "It's perfectly safe; it's not something that can kill people that easily." She went through her backpack and pulled out a small object. 

"What is that?" he said as he looked at the strange object. 

"It's a robot. It can make pastries, take orders, clean tables, and even converse with customers," Yoomi said. "I named her Pi."

"Pie? Why would you name her that? We don't even sell pie," he said. 

"No, not pie, but pi. You know, 3.14," Yoomi said. "Since pi sounds like pie, I decided to name her that because her name sounds like a food and a mathematical term. Cool, huh?"

"But that thing is pretty small, it's only the size of your hand," he said. "How is it going to take orders and all of that stuff if it's that small?"

"Easy, you just press the button on the back of its head," she replied. She then pressed the red button on the back of the robot's head and it started to grow bigger. Its body stretched out and once it was done, it was as tall as the counter. "And now you start her up by using this remote." Yoomi took out a remote and pressed a button. 

The robot sprang to life and started to talk in a robotic voice. "Hi, my name is Pi. Haha, that rhymed," Pi let out a robotic laugh. "How may I help you?"

Myungsoo looked at it like it was the most amazing thing in the world. "Woah…" he said. 

"I know," Yoomi said proudly. "Do you want to see her do things now?"

"But wouldn't that freak out the customers when they see a robot going around the shop, being a waiter and everything?" he asked. 

"No, it's fine. We'll just say that we're testing out a new invention for a company," Yoomi replied. She then pressed a button on the remote and Pi started towards an empty table on her wheels. 

When Pi was going past the customers, they were looking at her curiously. "Is that a robot?" someone asked. "Why is there a robot here?" All of the customers started talking about Pi as she finished cleaning the table. She then went back to Yoomi.

"I'm done, owner," Pi said. 

"Good job," Yoomi praised with a smile. She then pressed another button. "Now go converse with Myungsoo."

Myungsoo looked at her. "Converse with me? Why me?" he asked as he pointed to himself. 

"There aren't any customers that look like they want to converse right now, so you'll have to do," Yoomi replied. 

"But is it even going to follow your orders if you tell it to?" he asked. 

"Of course, I pressed the button that enables voice control," Yoomi said. "Alright now Pi, go converse with Myungsoo."

Pi immediately followed her order and went over to Myungsoo. "Hello, Myungsoo," Pi said. "Lovely day, isn't it?"

"Um, yes?" he said, not sure what to do.

"Just say anything to her or even ask her anything," Yoomi said. 

Myungsoo took a moment to think. "Um, do you like pastries?" he asked. 

"I don't know. I'm a robot, I can't eat pastries," Pi replied back in a robotic voice. 

"Woah, it answered me," he said amazed. "Does that mean that it can do the job for us?"

"Yup, if you want her to," Yoomi said. 

Myungsoo and Yoomi commanded Pi to do different things from taking orders to cleaning tables. They continued to do this until it was time for the shop to close. 

"How did you two do on your second day?" Halmeoni asked as she approached them. She then noticed the robot standing next to Yoomi. "And what is that?" she asked while pointing at Pi.

"Oh, this? It's my science project," Yoomi lied. "I didn't have anywhere to put it so I left it here. Is that okay, halmeoni?"

"Of course it's okay," Halmeoni replied. "If you two have any homework or something like that, you can do it here when you have time."

"Thank you Halmeoni," Yoomi said with a bright smile. 

Halmeoni smiled back. "Alright, I'm going to give you two the keys to the shop," she said. She took out two keys and gave it to Myungsoo and Yoomi. "You can use this to close down the shop after you finish cleaning up."

"Ne, halmeoni," they both responded. 

"Then I will be leaving first," halmeoni said as she waved before leaving.

Yoomi waited until halmeoni was out of sight before speaking up. "Myungsoo, do you want to see Pi bake?" she asked. 

Myungsoo looked at her. "It can cook also?" he asked.

Yoomi nodded. "Come on, I'll show you," she said. She went into the kitchen in the back with Pi and Myungsoo following along behind her. "Pi, bake some cookies."

Pi took the ingredients and started on the task. Then it put the cookies into the built-in oven in its stomach and the batch of cookies was ready in only 2 minutes.

"Woah," Myungsoo said with his mouth hanging open. Yoomi was about to take a cookie, but Myungsoo stopped her. "Don't pick the cookie up yet, it's too hot. You'll burn yourself."

Yoomi took her hand back sheepishly. "Oh right, I forgot again," she said.

Myungsoo playfully flicked her forehead. "What kind of genius with an eidetic memory keeps on forgetting such simple things," he said.

Yoomi pouted. "But the cookies look so good," she replied.

They waited for a few minutes to let the cookies cool down before getting one and taking a bite out of it.

"Wow, this is delicious," Myungsoo said with a mouthful of cookies.

"I know, I bet that Pi would really come in handy at home," Yoomi said.

"So if Pi can make this batch of cookies in only 2 minutes, then can it make 100 batches of cookies in only 5 minutes?" he asked.

"I don't know, maybe you should ask her," Yoomi said.

"Okay, then I'll ask." He turned towards Pi and gave a command. "Pi, make me 100 batches of cookies in only 5 minutes."

Yoomi widened her eyes when she heard what he said. "Myungsoo!" she yelled. "Why did you do that?!"

Myungsoo was startled when he was suddenly yelled at. "Why are you yelling at me all of a sudden?" he asked.

"Because you just gave it a command," Yoomi said.

"Yeah, that's what you told me to do," he said.

"No, I told you to ask if it could do that. Not to actually tell it to do that," she said.

"Oh, then I guess I misunderstood," he said. "But is there anything wrong with giving that command?"

"Yes, I don't know if it can actually do that so I told you to ask it first, but now it's doing it anyway," she replied. "If we're lucky then it would either bake it or not bake it."

"Then what if we're unlucky?" he asked, slightly scared of the answer. 

"The worst case scenario is that it would blow up," Yoomi said. 

Myungsoo widened his eyes in shock. "Then why didn't you tell me that before?! I wouldn't have told it that stupid command in the first place!" he said.

"But I didn't even know that you would actually tell it that command!" she said. She then heard a noise and turned to see what it was. 

"Must... bake... cookies…" Pi said as it continued to bake cookies in record time. The bad thing was that there was smoke coming out of it and it was making sputtering noises. 

"Oh no, I think it's going to blow up," Yoomi said. 

"Wait, it's going to blow up right now?!" Myungsoo asked in a panic.

Yoomi didn't answer and started pressing buttons frantically. "Come on, stop," she said. She tried hitting the remote, but Pi still wouldn't stop. 

"Yoomi, do something!" Myungsoo shouted. 

"I'm trying!" she shouted back. She tried to find a button that would stop it, but it was useless. It wouldn’t stop no matter what. She then turned to her last option. "I seriously can't believe that I'm going to press this button," she said to herself. She opened a part of the remote, revealing a hidden button inside of it. She quickly pressed it and looked up to see if it was working. 

A metallic object came out of Pi's head and swallowed Pi's body, making it look like a grey bowl was placed over Pi. "Myungsoo, let's get out of here!" Yoomi yelled as she pulled him outside. 

They ran outside of the bakery and were able to run a few feet away from it before an explosion sound erupted. Because of his reflex, Myungsoo quickly hugged Yoomi, trying to cover her from the explosion that he imagined would destroy the whole neighborhood. He then closed his eyes and waited for the impact. 

After a minute of not feeling massive heat from the explosion, he grew confused and opened one eye. He felt the chilly breeze of the wind and the warmness of Yoomi's body pressing up against him, but didn’t feel the explosion burning him.

"Myungsoo, I think we're safe," Yoomi said. "You can let go now."

Myungsoo realized that he was still embracing her and quickly pulled away. "Um, sorry," he said awkwardly while rubbing the nape of his neck.

"It's okay, you were just trying to protect us from the explosion," Yoomi said.

"But speaking of explosions, what happened? I clearly heard it make a loud boom," he said.

"That's because I pressed the button that made the shield come out. You know, just in case something like this happens," she said. "But I seriously did not know that I would actually have to press it."

"So there was a shield that covered the explosion," Myungsoo said, trying to understand everything. "Was anything destroyed?"

"Well, seeing that we're still alive and that the bakery is still standing there, I'm guessing that the only thing that was destroyed was Pi," Yoomi said.

"So, are we safe?" he asked.

"Yup," she said as she nodded.

Myungsoo smiled joyfully. "I'm alive!" he shouted out of happiness. "I'm still alive!" He jumped around happily knowing that he was still a living human being.

"Woohoo!" Yoomi said, cheering along with him.

Myungsoo suddenly stopped cheering when he remembered who caused the problem. "And you," he said as he pointed at her. "You owe me again."

"Wait, what?!" Yoomi said in surprise. "Why do I owe you?"

"You almost killed me in that explosion," he said. "That's like the third time that you've almost killed me."

"B-but, it was your fault," she said. 

"It was actually your fault for inventing it and not telling me that something like this would've happened," he said. 

"But how was I suppose to know?" she asked. 

"You should have at least thought about it," he replied. "Like seriously, you're a genius after all."

Yoomi didn't know what to say. "So, I owe you even more now?" she slowly asked. Myungsoo nodded in response. She smacked herself on the forehead. "Not again."


 

Thank you alwaysmakne935 for upvoting~^^

I hope that you liked the chapter and have a great weekend~^^