Saying Our Goodbyes

An Inventor's Mistake

“So… it’s completely fixed?”

Yoomi let out a breath before slowly nodding.

“Then… you have to… go?”

Yoomi nodded again. Myungsoo sighed as he looked down at the ground.

“I’m sorry,” she suddenly said.

He looked at her curiously. “For what?”

“For…” She grew quiet and didn’t seem like she could finish her sentence.

“For leaving?” he questioned.

She gave him a small nod.

“Well don’t be,” he said. “I should be the one who should say sorry instead. I was selfish yesterday when I told you to not leave. And don’t you remember?” He faced her with a smile on his lips.

“I said that I would be okay with anything as long as I know that you love me,” he continued. “And because of that I’m… fine… with you leaving, but if you say that you don’t love me then I’ll hold you back until you say that you do.”

He chuckled as she gave him a playful scoff.

“Yeah right,” she said.

She shook her head and continued smiling. “But I can’t believe that you’re willing to keep me in your house even after I almost killed you multiple times,” she stated. “And now you’re actually trying to stop me from leaving?” She over exaggerated a surprised expression. “Are you sure that you’re in your right mind, Kim Myungsoo?”

“Yes, I’m sure,” he replied with another chuckle. “But actually, now that I think about it…” His eyes narrowed at her in a suspicious way. “…how do I know that you didn’t brainwash me or something?”

“Brainwash?”

He nodded. “It doesn’t make sense for me, the awesome Kim Myungsoo, to like you Song Yoomi, who have tried to kill me way too many times to count.”

“I didn’t try to kill you though. You were just unfortu—“

She didn’t get to finish her sentence as Myungsoo gave her a quick peck on the cheek, causing for her words to get caught in . For a second or two, it became completely silent with neither of them moving or saying anything.

“Ahem…” Myungsoo cleared his throat and looked away, trying to hide the blush on his cheeks. “I bet that you’re disappointed that I didn’t kiss you on the lips, right?”

“W-Why should I be disappointed?” she asked back.

“Because,” he started. “You’re the person who admitted that you loved me and not to mention…” He had on a cocky smile. “…kissed me on the lips.”

She widened her eyes. “Y-Yah, I—“

“I know that you’re anticipating it,” he interrupted. “But I don’t even know myself when I’ll actually do it. Just keep anticipating.”

He winked at her before strolling away, possibly even whistling from the joy of teasing her.

Yoomi scoffed. “What is wrong with him?” she asked herself, slightly laughing.


 

Myungsoo slammed both of his palms onto the table in an attempt to catch the attention of 6, fairly rowdy boys.

“Guys!”

“What is it now?” Woohyun asked, eyes not leaving his TV screen. “I’m in the middle of beating our maknae here, so jus—Yes!” He threw his controller down and did a little happy dance while sitting.

Sungjong rolled his eyes after seeing how ecstatic Woohyun was when he beat him at their game. “I want a rematch!”

“Guys! Guys! Listen up!” Myungsoo shouted.

“Myungsoo! You’re being too loud!” Sungyeol yelled. “It’s making it hard for me to think of what I should move next.”

Myungsoo furrowed his eyebrows before sighing at the realization that the choding of the group had yet again become way too serious for another mobile game. Last time it was Clash of Clans, this time it was Candy Crush.

“Sungyeol, stop playing the game. You’re going to get addicted again.”

“It’s too bad he’s already addicted,” Hoya said. “He’s been playing that game for days now. I don’t even remember when the last time was when he put his phone down.”

“Not to mention that he changes the time on his phone just to get more lives,” Dongwoo chimed in.

“Oh gosh darn it! I lost the level!” Sungyeol glared at his phone screen and let out a frustrated breath. “I’m going to get more lives and then I’ll finally defeat you, you stupid chocolates! Just wait until I destroy all of you!”

Sungyeol was determined to get more lives and was about to change the time on his phone to do so, but just as he was about to change it, his device was snatched out of his hands causing for him to look up in bewilderment.

“Myungsoo,” Sunggyu called, holding Sungyeol’s phone in his hands. He then threw the phone over to Myungsoo, who successfully caught it with his fast reflexes.

“Yah! I wasn’t done playing!”

Sungyeol got up and got ready to tackle Myungsoo to the ground to retrieve his phone, but soon stopped in his tracks when he saw Myungsoo holding his phone out in front of him with only three fingers.

“You come any closer, and I drop this,” he threatened.

Sungyeol narrowed his eyes at him. “You wouldn’t.”

“Oh yes I would.”

Myungsoo pretended like he was ready to let go of the device, which caused for Sungyeol to nearly scream.

“Okay! I won’t come near you! Just don’t drop my baby!”

“Also, you have to listen to me,” Myungsoo added. “If you don’t listen then you’ll have to say goodbye to your ‘baby.’”

Sungyeol nodded obediently and sat down. Myungsoo cleared his throat after placing the phone down onto the table.

“So…” He looked around the room to make sure that everyone was paying attention. “…Yoomi is leaving.”

With that one statement alone, everyone looked up at him in surprise. “What? She’s leaving?” Sungjong asked.

“Yeah, she has to go back to… where she came from.”

“But isn’t this a little too sudden? She didn’t even tell us anything,” Hoya said.

“I only found out a few days ago,” Myungsoo said. “Actually, I knew from the beginning that she had to leave one day, but I didn’t know exactly when she would. But now we know that she’s going to leave soon.”

“But is she leaving to somewhere far away?” Dongwoo asked.

“Yeah, it’s somewhere… really far away.”

Everyone had a look of sadness on their face.

“But because she’s leaving, I’m planning on a goodbye party for her,” Myungsoo continued. “So do you guys want in?”

“Of course!” Sungyeol shouted. “Yoomi is our friend! We have to join!”

Everyone in the room agreed with him while Myungsoo smiled happily.

“Alright, then let’s start planning,” he said. “Yoomi is at Halmeoni’s bakery right now to say her goodbyes, so for now let’s plan while she’s not here.”

He looked at everyone in the room and smiled. “We’re going to make this the most unforgettable goodbye party in the history of goodbye parties.”


 

“Yoomi, I have to go first,” Myungsoo said as he started out the door of their classroom.

“You’re going first again?” she asked. “Are you really busy these days?”

“Yeah,” he replied. “Sorry that I can’t walk home with you, but take this as my apology instead.”

He went up to her with a smile before pecking her on the cheek. As he pulled away, he saw that her eyes were tightly shut, which made him chuckle a little.

“I guess you’re still waiting for your kiss on the lips, huh?”

She opened her eyes while her cheeks were starting to grow a dark tint of red. “No, I-I wasn’t.”

“I know you’re lying,” he said with a smirk. “But don’t worry, I’ll kiss you on the lips soon.”

He winked at her before leaving the classroom. Yoomi stood there, still blushing madly, but at least there wasn’t anyone in the classroom at the time. Once the bell rung to signal the end of the school day, nearly everyone had grabbed their backpacks and rushed out the door.

“He’s teasing me more these days,” she said while placing her hands onto her cheeks in an attempt to decrease the heat.

Suddenly, she saw Gikwang walking by the door and immediately picked up her bag and ran after him.

“Gikwang!” she shouted in a happy manner.

Gikwang stopped walking and turned around. He looked shocked to see Yoomi there, standing in front of him.

“Where have you been these days? I haven’t seen you around,” she questioned him.

“Oh, I…”

Yoomi tilted her head out of curiosity. “I never see you in the lunch room anymore or even out in the hallways,” she said.

Gikwang sighed as he rubbed the back of his neck. “Well, of course you didn’t see me,” he said. “I might’ve… kind of… been… avoiding you.”

She furrowed her eyebrows at him. “Why? Did I do something to make you feel uncomfortable?” she asked, genuinely worried that she had done something like that.

“No, it’s not you,” he said. He then let out another sigh. “It’s me.”

She looked at him with a puzzled expression. “What do you mean?”

“I mean that… I might have had some feelings for you,” he admitted.

She widened her eyes. He then chuckled after seeing her expression.

“Yeah, I know. Surprising, right?”

Yoomi didn’t say anything and only nodded.

“Well, they weren’t strong feelings anyway. They were more like a slight attraction towards you, but it’s nothing that I can’t handle,” he assured. “I know that you’re going out with Myungsoo and everything, so I just needed some time to settle out my feelings a little.”

She nodded in understanding and stared at the ground. “So that’s why you’ve been avoiding me?”

“Yeah,” he answered. “But don’t worry, my feelings for you weren’t strong anyways so I can get rid of them.”

“Then does that mean that we can still be friends?” she asked him with a hopeful look in her eyes.

He smiled and nodded. “Yeah,” he said. “But right now, I think that I need some time away from you. It’s harder to forget about you if you’re still here, in front of me.”

He let out a small laugh as she smiled at him.

“Okay,” she said. “But I don’t think that it will be hard to forget me since… I’m going to leave soon.”

He looked at her in surprise. “What? You’re leaving?”

She nodded and said, “Yeah, I need to go back to where I came from.”

Gikwang looked away with an unreadable expression before facing her again. “Then what about Myungsoo? Is he leaving with you?”

Yoomi paused for a moment before shaking her head. “No, he has to stay here,” she said. “This is where he belongs. I can’t make him come with me to where I belong, which is far away from his family and friends.”

“Then what are you going to do?” he continued asking. “Aren’t you going to miss him a lot?”

“Yeah,” she slowly replied.

She then let out a sigh and started smiling. “But I don’t want to think of that while I’m still here,” she said. “It’s best if I just enjoy the time that I have left with him instead of being sad all of the time.”

Gikwang nodded and gave her a small smile. “That’s good,” he said. “By doing that, I think that you’ll have less regrets.”

“Yup,” she said. “Oh, but I have to go now. I still need to pack my things.”

She then started towards the direction that led her out of the building, but before doing that, she waved at him with a smile. “Bye Gikwang! It was nice knowing you!”

Gikwang smiled back at her and waved. “Yeah, me too!” he said. “Bye!”

Yoomi waved at him one last time, before completely leaving the building. 


 

And this is the last time Gikwang is going to show up. I feel kind of sad now that one of my characters are gone. :(

But I hope that you guys liked the chapter!^^