Ice Spitting Snow Machine

An Inventor's Mistake

~Some time later~

The bell rang and the teacher smiled. “Alright class, have fun on your holiday break,” he said.

“Ne, Seonsaengnim,” they answered. He then left and everybody started leaving also.

“Myungsoo…” Heajung walked up to him hesitantly, but tried her best to smile.

Myungsoo saw her and rolled his eyes in annoyance. “What do you want?” he asked.

“I just want to tell you that my family is going skiing, so do you want to come with me?”

“No,” he replied without skipping a beat. “I’m sorry, but I have better things to do than go skiing with you- ow!”

Yoomi glared at him. “Don’t be so mean to her,” she whispered.

Myungsoo frowned as he rubbed his bruised leg that got kicked. “Fine,” he muttered. “I’m sorry Heajung, but I can’t go.” He said it more politely this time.

Heajung just smiled and nodded. “That’s fine. But if you change your mind then call me,” she said before giving him her phone number and leaving with Haeun.

“Psh, she seriously thinks that I want to go skiing with her even though she did something like that to you.” He crumpled up the piece of paper and threw it away.

“Yah, can’t you be a little nicer to her?” Yoomi asked. “Everybody in school had been ignoring her for quite a while now – well, except for Haeun. But I still bet that she’s feeling really horrible.”

“Yeah right, she didn’t feel bad when she threw rice at you,” he mumbled under his breath.

They then started towards the door and walked towards the school’s gate. “Wait for us!” They both turned around when they heard a voice. “Yah, we still have to discuss the meeting place for our Christmas party,” Woohyun said as the others ran up behind him.

“Yeah, we’re thinking about doing it in Woohyun’s house since he already has the tree set up,” Dongwoo said.

“And we have the house to ourselves since my parents are still not home from their business trip,” Woohyun stated.

Myungsoo nodded. “Sure, we’ll meet you there since Halmeoni also gave us a holiday break,” he said.

“You guys better get me better gifts this year,” Sunggyu said as he pointed at them accusingly. “What was with the vitamins and massagers last year?”

“We thought that you really needed it since you complained about your health all of the time,” Sungjong replied straightforwardly.

“It’s your fault for being such an old grandpa,” Sungyeol said. Sunggyu was about to hit him, but he quickly hid behind Hoya.

“So we’ll meet you there,” Woohyun said before placing an arm around Dongwoo’s shoulders. “We still have to go present shopping. Come on, Dongwoo.” Dongwoo nodded before waving goodbye and leaving with him.

“Those two always go everywhere together,” Sunggyu said. He then turned towards Yoomi. “Yoomi, do you want to go present shopping with me?”

“Sure,” she replied with a smile. She was about to walk towards Sunggyu, but was instantly pulled back.

“Wait, are you leaving me?” Myungsoo asked.

“No I’m not,” she replied. “I’m just shopping for presents with Sunggyu. Halmeoni already gave us our pay including a Christmas bonus, so I’m just going shopping.”

“But you can go shopping with me,” he said.

“But I want to go with Sunggyu,” she said.

“But I want to go with you.”

“But I want to go with Sunggyu for once.”

“Just come shopping with me instead.”

“No.”

“Come on, please.”

“Oh my goodness Myungsoo, just come with us then,” Sunggyu said, annoyed by their bickering.

“Really?” he asked. Sunggyu nodded. “Then alright,” he said happily.

“Well, see you guys later,” Sungyeol said as he placed his arms around Sungjong and Hoya. “We’re also going present shopping.”

Hoya pushed Sungyeol’s arms off of his shoulders before smiling. “Yeah, see you guys there.” He then waved and started walking away.

“Yah, aren’t we going present shopping together?” Sungyeol asked as he ran over to Hoya.

Sungjong rolled his eyes before waving at Sunggyu, Yoomi, and Myungsoo. “Well, see you guys,” he said before running after them.


 

“Do you think that I should buy this for Dongwoo?” Sunggyu held up a dinosaur toy to show them.

“Sure,” Myungsoo said. “If he likes it then get it for him.”

“That’s the point of asking for your opinion,” Sunggyu said. “I’m not sure if he will like it or not.”

“If you’re not sure then don’t buy it,” Myungsoo replied.

Sunggyu sighed and rolled his eyes in annoyance. “Wow, you’re so helpful,” he said sarcastically.

Myungsoo smiled and made a peace sign. “Thanks, I try to be.”

Sunggyu just shook his head in disapproval before putting the dinosaur down and looking for something else. Myungsoo also looked around the store. He already bought all of the presents that he needed for the other members, including Sunggyu when he wasn’t looking, and now he only needed to get something for Yoomi.

“What would she like?” he mumbled to himself as he went through the shelves.

“Myungsoo,” Yoomi said as she went up to him. “Do you think that Sunggyu will like this?” She held up a Russian doll to show him.

Myungsoo furrowed his eyebrows. “It looks creepy,” he replied.

“It looks creepy, but it’s so cool,” she said with a childish look on her face. “Look.” She opened it up, revealing another one inside of it and continued doing so with an amused smile on her face until the doll became tiny. “Do you think that there’s another one in here?” she asked him.

Myungsoo shrugged. “I don’t know. Try opening it.”

She did as told and tried to open it, and it revealed another tiny doll inside of it. “Woah…” she said, amazed at how another small doll came out of one that was already so tiny. Myungsoo chuckled at her cute reaction and continued watching her.

After playing with it for a little while longer, they decided that it wasn’t the best present for Sunggyu before putting it back together and placing it back onto the shelf. She then looked around some more and was able to get a present for each member – except for Myungsoo – with Myungsoo’s and Sunggyu’s help and only Myungsoo’s help for Sunggyu’s present.

“Well, see you guys later. I only need to shop for you guys now, so if you don’t want to be surprised then you can follow me,” Sunggyu said.

“Of course we won’t follow you Sunggyu,” Yoomi said. “Being surprised on Christmas is the best thing ever, as long as it’s a good surprise.”

Sunggyu smiled and ruffled her hair. “I agree,” he said.

“Yah, why did you ruffle her hair?” Myungsoo said as he glared at Sunggyu.

Sunggyu shrugged. “Because I can,” he replied. He then went over and ruffled Myungsoo’s hair also. “There, happy? I ruffled your hair also. Instead of getting jealous of me ruffling Yoomi’s hair instead of yours, why don’t you actually show me that you appreciate me and then I will gladly ruffle your hair all of the time.”

Myungsoo frowned and fixed his hair. “For your information, I don’t want you to ruffle my hair.”

Sunggyu rolled his eyes before smiling at Yoomi. “Well, bye Yoomi.” Yoomi smiled and said goodbye back. Sunggyu then turned towards Myungsoo as his smile fell from his face. “Bye Myungsoo, also don’t be surprised if you get something that you don’t want for Christmas.”

“Pft, I wasn’t going to expect much anyways,” Myungsoo mumbled as he put his hands into his pockets. Sunggyu then left, leaving Myungsoo and Yoomi alone.

“Wow, I didn’t know that shopping for Christmas presents was actually this hard.” Yoomi looked at the many bags that she held in her hands while thinking about what she should get for Myungsoo.

Myungsoo took a peek at her bags. “Did you… get anything for me yet?” he asked, kind of anticipating her answer.

Yoomi pouted and shook her head. “No,” she answered. “Whenever I tried to get you something, you’re always right there, looking at me. How can I get you something when you keep standing no further than 5 feet away from me?”

“You could have just bought something while I was standing there,” he pointed out.

“But I want your Christmas present to be a surprise,” she said. “It’s no fun when you already know what I’m going to get you.”

Myungsoo then nodded in understanding before smiling. “So you wanted to surprise me?” he asked. Yoomi nodded. “Well, my friend, let me tell you that I’m not that easily surprised by things such as presents.”

“Well, this year I’m a hundred percent sure that you will be surprised.” She then pointed a finger at him. “Do not underestimate a genius. You do not know what I have up my sleeve.”

“Psh, I’m still pretty sure that I won’t be that surprised,” he said before reaching over and taking the bags that she was holding.

Yoomi saw what he was doing and looked at him curiously while still holding onto the bags. “Wait, what are you doing?” she asked.

“I’m going to hold these bags for you,” he said. He tried to take the bags, but she stopped him.

“But I can hold it by myself,” she said as she pulled the bags back towards her.

“Just let me hold it,” he insisted.

“I don’t want you to hold them. You’re already holding a lot of bags yourself.”

“But I’m trying to work out,” he said as he pulled the bags towards him. “You always cook too much, and it’s making me lose my toned, arm muscles. I need to regain them by holding these things.”

“Just to let you know, Myungsoo, these bags aren’t heavy,” she said.

“But it’s better than not trying,” he retorted.

Yoomi finally gave up after 5 minutes of tug-a-war and let go of the bags. “Fine, but those bags aren’t heavy in the first place. They will not help you build arm muscles.”

“I know, but I still need to impress somebody,” he mumbled while organizing the bags in his hands.

Yoomi caught onto what he said and furrowed her eyebrows. “Impress who?” she asked.

Myungsoo realized what he said and looked up at her nervously. “Um… “ He looked around to quickly think of something. He then set eyes on a picture of Santa Clause on a store window. “Santa Clause!” he blurted out. “I want to impress Santa Clause since… um… having more toned arm muscles would mean that I… um… workout, and that I’m not… uh… lazy.”

He looked at her to see if she bought and it, and luckily for him, she did. “Alright then,” she said. “But I don’t think that you can impress Santa with just arm muscles alone.”

“Yeah, I know. That’s why I’m going to be a good person and all of that also,” he said. They then started walking towards home, and Myungsoo mentally praised himself for thinking about his sentence that quickly. He then felt a little chilly as some wind blew at them, and breathed out just to see cloud-like fog coming out of his mouth. “Wow, it’s getting really cold now,” he said.

Yoomi nodded and rubbed her hands together. “Yeah, it is,” she agreed.

He looked over at her and saw that she didn’t have a scarf. “Yoomi, isn’t your face cold?”

Yoomi looked over at him and shook her head. “No, it’s not,” she replied.

Myungsoo noticed how her neck was bare with nothing to cover it from the harsh, cold weather. He then placed the bags that he was holding onto the ground and unwrapped his scarf from his neck before wrapping it around hers. “You’re completely lying,” he said. “Your teeth are chattering way too much for you to deny being cold.”

“I didn’t deny that I was cold,” she said, surprised that he was giving her his scarf when it was already freezing outside. “I denied that my face is cold, but I admit that my body is nearly freezing.” She then tried to take his scarf off. “Myungsoo, I don’t need this. You need it more than me.”

She barely got it unwrapped from her neck when Myungsoo stopped her. “Just take it or I will tell you what your Christmas present is,” he threatened.

Yoomi looked at him in surprise. “Wait, so you already bought something for me?” she asked. Myungsoo nodded his head. “But you were with me the whole time.”

“I wasn’t with you the whole time. I was with you most of the time,” he said. “So if you want your Christmas present to be a surprise then you’d better not take off that scarf until we reach home.”

Yoomi nodded obediently and didn’t try to pull off his scarf that was wrapped warmly around her neck. Myungsoo then picked up the bags and let out a frustrated sigh. *Dang it, now I can’t ask her what she wants for Christmas,* he mentally scolded himself. He then looked over at her and looked at his scarf around his neck. *Wait a minute… she doesn’t have a scarf.*

An idea popped into his head and he secretly smiled to himself. *I think I know what to get her now.*


 

“And… done!” Yoomi finished fastening the last bolt that she needed to complete her machine and was now staring at her creation with a happy smile on her face. “Alright, now to get it outside…”

She got up, and her shrink ray before shrinking the machine to a size smaller than her palm. She then gently picked it up before bringing it outside to Myungsoo’s backyard. “Wow, it’s cold out here…” She rubbed her arms and could feel the goose bumps forming on her skin. “…but it’s perfect for some snow.”

She placed her machine down and turned it back to the size it was originally using her shrink ray. “Alright, now the start button…” She pressed a button on the side of the machine, and the red button lit up to a green. She then pressed another button and a Christmas song started playing.

“Oh~ Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way~”

Yoomi listened to the song for a bit until it ended. “If you want to listen to the previous song again, please press once. If you want another song, please press twice. If you do not want to listen to another song, please press-“

Yoomi pressed the button three times in a row, and the machine stopped talking in its robotic voice. “I’ll listen to more Christmas songs later,” she said before she rubbed her hands and blew on them. “Wow, it’s really cold out here.”

She rubbed her arms for a bit until she felt warm enough to do what she came here to do. “Okay, it’s time to make it snow.”

She pressed a button and the machine started making whirring noises before a blast of white snow came out of it. Yoomi smiled as it snowed continuously, making the backyard look like a winter wonderland. “Woah, my first snow machine is a success,” she said happily as she had a small celebration by herself.

She then pressed another button and the part of the machine that was blasting out snow started slowly rotating around and around to coat the backyard in an even, white layer. Yoomi sat down as the blast of the snow machine started coming closer to where she was standing, and the only way to be right next to it without getting a face-full of snow blowing at her was to sit down at the area underneath it where the snow machine could never reach.

“Maybe I should call Myungsoo out here,” she said to herself. She was just about to call him when a little squirrel, with a nut in its mouth, came up to the front of the machine while looking at it in curiosity. “Hey, little squirrel…” she called in a soft voice. “…are curious about this thing right here?” She patted her machine to show it what she was talking about.

The squirrel looked at her, then back at the machine. It didn’t seem like it was that interested in her since it continued staring at the machine without breaking eye contact.

Yoomi watched the squirrel’s every movement. “What a weird squirrel. Why is it so interested in my machine in the first place?” she asked herself.

The squirrel then waited until the snow wasn’t blasting in its direction before jumping onto it. Yoomi furrowed her eyebrows. “Wait, what is it… YAH!”

Before she could do anything, the squirrel already threw the small nut into a tiny hole at the top of the machine. Yoomi widened her eyes at what the squirrel did. “Y-Yah, you stupid squirrel! Why did you do that?!”

The snow machine started rumbling and spluttering out snow before the snow completely stopped coming out of it. As the machine rumbled and heated up, the squirrel got scared and ran away. “Yah! You stupid squirrel! Come back here!” Yoomi yelled in frustration at the little critter.

She then stood up and tried to turn it off. She pressed the button many times, but it didn’t seem like it would turn off any time soon. “Darn that squirrel, did it think that my machine was some sort of storage place for its food?!”

Yoomi tried kicking and hitting it to make it stop, but suddenly, something flew out of it. She traced the direction that the object flew in, and her jaw dropped at the identity of the object. “Is that… an ice cube?”

The snow machine started making louder noises before spewing out ice cubes while spinning around in circles, making the ice cubes fly in every direction. Yoomi instantly ducked down for cover and looked at the machine in horror. “Wait, how am I going to stop this thing? How in the world am I-“

“Yoomi, what’s with the noise out there?”

Yoomi widened her eyes at Myungsoo’s voice. “N-Nothing!” she quickly replied. “Um… I’m just…watching a movie!”

“Really? The movie is a little loud, and it sounds kind of… realistic. Like a scene from the movie is playing right in my backyard.”

Yoomi started panicking. “Uh… um… it’s a new machine of mine!” she blurted out. “It makes the sound seem pretty realistic, right?”

“Yeah, it sounds really realistic,” Myungsoo replied. “What movie are you watching?”

“Uh… um… an action movie!” she answered. “And don’t ask me for the name because I didn’t look at the title.”

“Really? Then I’ll come watch with you.”

She had a feeling that he was coming closer towards the backyard, and panicked even more. “Don’t come out here!” she yelled.

Myungsoo stopped putting on his jacket and furrowed his eyebrows. “Why not?” he asked.

“Because I like watching movies alone. It’s a hobby of mine,” she said. “So don’t come out here.”

Yoomi didn’t hear a reply for a moment until Myungsoo spoke up again. “Okay, I won’t go out there,” he said, clearly disappointed. “Just enjoy your movie by yourself then.”

Yoomi heard his reply and sighed in relief. “Good thing that I positioned this thing away from the backdoor or he’ll probably spot me by now.” She sat there for a moment, trying to quickly think of an idea when she heard the voice of the one person that she tried so hard to keep away from the ice cube spitting snow machine.

“Wait a minute, why are you watching a movie out- OW!” Myungsoo couldn’t finish his sentence after feeling a sharp pain on his forehead. He then fell down while clutching the spot on his forehead in pain.

“Myungsoo! Are you okay?!” Yoomi asked worriedly.

“What in the world was that?” he said, still clutching onto his forehead.

“There’s no time to explain, you need crawl over here right now!”

“Wait, what? Why do I have to crawl-“

“Just hurry!” she said frantically.

Myungsoo did as he was told and started crawling over to Yoomi’s side. He then sat down next to her with one hand still on his bruised forehead. “What in the world just hit me?” he asked.

Yoomi sighed before answering. “It was an ice cube,” she said. “And you’re lucky that you only got hit by one.”

Myungsoo looked at her with a confused expression until he finally saw what was happening. Ice cubes were flying everywhere around him, nearly hitting and breaking the windows and everything else that could be broken by a flying ice cube going 30 mph. Yoomi looked up and saw that the direction towards the house was clear from the ice cubes since the machine was at a different direction.

“Myungsoo, wait here,” she said before sprinting towards the house.

Myungsoo widened his eyes. “Y-Yah, Song Yoomi! You can’t leave me here with this thing!”

Myungsoo watched as Yoomi disappeared into the house before gulping. “Wait, so now I’m alone with this thing…”

He slowly looked up at the machine and was afraid that it might blow up or something. “Yah, Song Yoomi, why do you always leave me alone with your crazy devices?!”

After a few minutes, Yoomi came running back with something in her hand. She quickly sat down next to him and started loosening the bolts of the machine. “Yah, what took you so long?” Myungsoo asked, still terrified of sitting right below the ice cube spitting machine.

Yoomi didn’t answer as she took the covering off, revealing the heart of the machine. She then brought a screwdriver into it, sticking her hand in it in the process. “Yah, isn’t it dangerous to put your hand in there while this thing is still on?”

“Don’t worry, I know my machine,” she said as she concentrated. After a while, she took something out of it as the machine completely stopped everything that it was doing and became lifeless again. “That stupid squirrel, it just threw this in there like my machine was some storage place…” She glared at the nut in her hand before throwing it far away.

“Yah, Song Yoomi…” Yoomi looked over and saw Myungsoo with an unreadable expression. “…aren’t you going to say sorry for what you did to my forehead?” He then looked around at his backyard filled with snow and ice cubes. “And for what you did to my backyard?”

“Ahaha… yeah, I’m really sorry,” she said sheepishly. She looked up at him hesitantly. “You’re not mad at me, are you?”

Myungsoo’s expression was cold and emotionless, but it then took a 360 degree turn when he frowned and rubbed his forehead. “Yah, it still hurts you know?” he said with a pout.

Yoomi looked at him with a sorry expression. “Sorry,” she said. She then took his hand off of his forehead and started rubbing the red spot that was caused by the speeding ice cube. “Sorry Myungsoo, you’re not hurt are you?”

Myungsoo started blushing at her touch. It didn’t even matter that it was freezing outside, he was still blushing nonetheless. “Y-Yeah… I’m fine.”

Yoomi still looked at him with a sorry expression until an idea suddenly came into your head. “Myungsoo, wait here for a moment.” She then headed to the middle of the backyard and started piling up the snow.

“Yah, Song Yoomi,” Myungsoo called.

“Yeah,” she replied while continuing what she was doing with the snow.

“Did it snow without me knowing?”

Yoomi shook her head. “No, it’s snow from my snow machine,” she answered. “But some squirrel came and threw its nut into my machine, making it spit out ice cubes instead.” She then grumbled when she remembered the face of the squirrel. “Squirrels, who knew that they were evil…” she muttered under her breath.

After a while, Yoomi finally finished what she was making. “Ta-dah!” She held her hands out, showcasing her recently made snowman.

Myungsoo didn’t look like he was amazed. “It’s just a snowman,” he said.

Yoomi frowned at what he said. “This is not just a snowman,” she retorted. “It’s X-Man, the snowman that I build every winter.”

Myungsoo raised an eyebrow. “X-Man?”

Yoomi nodded. “Yeah, X-Man,” she said. “That’s his name.”

“And why do you call him that?”

“Because, usually whenever I make him, Xmas/Christmas is coming up,” she explained. “Also he’s a snowman. That’s why I call him X-Man.” Myungsoo didn’t say anything and stared at her with furrowed eyebrows. Yoomi sighed. “Then how about X-Men? We watched the movie a few weeks ago, and it seems like it ties together pretty well since it sounds similar to Xmas and X-Man. If you don’t like the other reasons as to why I call him that then we can use the X-Men reference.”

Myungsoo continued staring at her in silence before speaking up again. “You’re really weird, you know that?”

Yoomi was confused. “How is naming my snowman something weird?” she asked.

Myungsoo rubbed his arms to create some warmth. “It’s so cold today~” He continued rubbing his arms. “I should go inside where it’s warm instead of being outside in the cold with a weirdo,” he teased before going back inside.

Yoomi watched him leave with a frown. “Yah, how am I weird?!” Myungsoo didn’t answer and disappeared inside the house. Yoomi pouted and looked over at X-Man. “X-Man, I’m not weird am I?” Yoomi patiently waited for X-Man to answer, and suddenly, X-Man’s arm branch fell off.

“I’ll take that as a no.”  


 

Well, this is my first attempt at a Christmas Special. I hope that it was okay. :)

Also, the snow machine was working just fine, but the stupid squirrel just came and pretty much destroyed it. Squirrels... who knew that they were evil.

Anyways, have a great weekend and even though it's late, happy holidays!^^

Also, the second part of the Christmas Special would be released in a few days. Not sure when, but I hope that you guys are looking forward to it~