Hoverboard

An Inventor's Mistake

“Myungsoo! Myungsoo! I need you to help me with something!”

Yoomi came running over to him as he was lying on the couch, abruptly waking him up from his nap. “Just give me five more minutes,” he mumbled, snuggling up against his pillow.

“But I need to know if this hoverboard is going to work or not. This is really important!”

It had been some time after she had come back, but she had already found a job just like she said she would. She had at first expected to only have a part time job, but she must have been looked upon by the god of fortune since a man from a big company asked for her to work for him.

This had actually happened because she was going around, helping people fix things and creating things to sell along the way—awing people with her creations and inventions.

Before she knew what had happened, she was scouted by the CEO of the company that she was currently working in and was now—despite her young age—one of their best and most prized worker after showing them her skills and handiness in the field.

While she was doing all of that, Myungsoo was still busy in college with it being his last year. He kind of wished that he was a professional photographer or something already, since he felt slightly less capable compared to his genius girlfriend. He just wanted to be able to buy her things and spoil her using the money he earned with his own hands—not the money that his parents had given him—but instead it had been the opposite way around.

He finally got up as he yawned. He was tired, but who could’ve blamed him when the previous night he had pulled an all-nighter just to work on a huge project that could completely ruin his grade if he did a bad job on it. “What’s important?” he asked her.

“I need you to test out this hoverboard. I have to present this thing to the company tomorrow and I need to know if there’s anything wrong with it,” she told him.

He raised an eyebrow at her. “And you want me to test it?”

She eagerly nodded. “Yes! You’re the only one available right now, so I only have you who can test this out for me,” she said, already giving him her best puppy dog eyes.

“How do I know if that thing might kill me or not?” he questioned.

“You don’t, but I promise you that it’ll be fun.”

“It would’ve been nicer if you could promise me my own personal safety instead of ‘fun,’” he stated.

“But come on, please?”

She was still giving him her puppy dog eyes, one of her special attacks to get him to do what she wanted. She figured out some time ago that he just couldn’t say no whenever she used it, and he hated himself for not being able to resist her cuteness.

“Those puppy dog eyes are going to be the death of me one day,” he muttered with a sigh. “Alright, fine. I’ll test it out for you.”

Yoomi’s eyes immediately brightened up and they headed out to the park, their most favorite place to hang out and individually for Yoomi, her most favorite place to test out any of her inventions and creations.

Especially since people barely came out here—except for the spring season, it was usually crowded in the spring since the flowers would be in bloom—making it a nice place to test things out without there being too much of a chance of a random passerby getting hurt by it.

When they arrived there, Yoomi excitedly placed the board on the ground and told him to stand on it. “Step right on the circles and I’ll lock your feet to it,” she said, already making him feel alarmed.

“Wait a minute, lock my feet?” he repeated in a question. “You’re going to lock my feet onto this thing?”

She nodded in reply. “Don’t worry though, it’s only a safety measure so that you won’t fall off the thing and get a concussion or something. Which reminds me…” She placed the helmet that she brought with her onto his head and clicked the straps together. “This is just in case you do end up falling.”

Myungsoo gulped. “What have I gotten myself into again?” he blankly asked himself.

“Myungsoo, you can get on now,” she said to him.

He snapped back to reality and cautiously did as he was told. He then felt as if he couldn’t move his feet, which made him panic a little but Yoomi had assured him that it was a part of the design.

“Okay, I’ll turn it on now,” she said. She then pressed a button and the board lifted off the ground. It was only about a foot off the ground, but it didn’t make him feel any safer at the knowledge.

“Now, tilt forwards a little with your feet and the board should go forward,” she instructed.

He took a deep breath before doing what she told him to do, and could feel the board move forward a bit. “That’s good. It’s working,” she said. She then continued to give him a few more instructions until she ran out of things to test.

“It’s working perfectly fine,” she said in a happy manner. “You can come off now Myungsoo.”

“Really? We’re finally done?” He waited for her answer and was relieved when he saw her nod in reply. “So I can really come off now?”

“Yes, I’ll just press the button—“

She stopped midsentence when Myungsoo suddenly shouted, the hoverboard moving forward extremely fast with him still on it. “Yoomi!” he yelled, not knowing what was happening.

Yoomi was in a state of shock and confusion when she looked down and realized that she pressed the wrong button. “Oh no, I accidently pressed the acceleration button instead of the one that unlocks his feet,” she said in horror.

“You did what?!” Myungsoo screamed. “Why in the world is there even an acceleration button on that thing?!” He then tried to jump off of the speeding board, but it only resulted in failed attempts since his feet were still locked onto it. He then shouted again when he saw that he was heading straight for a tree.

“Myungsoo! Jump off!” Yoomi shouted back at him. “I unlocked your feet already, so jump off!”

He closed his eyes and took a breath before jumping to the side, just in time to hear a crash and feel a vibration on the ground.

“Myungsoo!” Yoomi ran over to him and pulled him up to his feet. “Are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere?”

His mind was still blank and in a state of shock, but he was still able to shake his head in response. “W-What happened?” he asked.

“Well… the hoverboard crashed into the tree and it might’ve… just maybe… knocked the tree down.”

He widened his eyes and slowly turned around. What she said was true, there was a tree lying down on the ground with a hoverboard lying in front of it. His face paled at the thought of what could’ve happened if he was still on the thing.

“But good news,” she said as she went over and picked the board up. “The materials I used to make this are pretty strong, and it only got scratched and has a dent. But other than that it’s still working perfectly fine.”

“T-That thing…” He pointed at the board. “…knocked down a tree and survived?”

She nodded, realizing why he looked so terrified to know that. “Oh right, it would be bad if this runs right into a human being. It could possibly kill someone,” she said while examining the board. “I guess I have to think about that and work more on the safety part of this, and maybe I should think over about having an acceleration button. Well… I guess it’s back to the drawing board.”

She then looked up at him and smiled. “Do you want to go and get some bubble tea or something now? I’m kind of in the mood for something sweet,” she asked him.

He stared at her. “Are you really asking me that after I nearly died?!” he said in disbelief.

“But you didn’t die. You survived again. That’s why I love testing these things on you so much; you are actually quite a lucky person considering how many times you nearly escaped death. You’re almost like a phoenix or something.”

She gave him two thumbs up to show that she recognized how amazing his accomplishment was. “Surviving to live another day after testing out an invention is like your very own special superpower.”

He narrowed his eyes at her. “Don’t jinx it,” he said in return.

All of a sudden, he saw her eyes widen as she stared at something behind him. “Y-Yoomi…” he heard someone say. He then turned around to see a middle-aged man with slightly gray hair, but the man had a kind and gentle looking face.

“D-Dad…”

This time, it was Myungsoo who widened his eyes after hearing what Yoomi had called the man. “What are you doing here... how did you even… get here?” she asked while running towards him and enveloping him in a tight hug.

Her dad chuckled. “I found your blueprint for the time machine and built one myself,” he answered.

She pulled away at his answer with a surprised expression. “But you could’ve gotten hurt! What if something went wrong? Time travelling is a really dangerous thing!”

Her dad chuckled again. “I know, and I only planned on using it once and never using it again,” he said. “We also don’t know if time travelling like this will do anything to space time continuum, so hopefully this will be the last time anyone ever time travels until someone can assure that it’s 100% safe.”

He then looked up and noticed Myungsoo standing behind her at a distance, not knowing if he should interrupt the sudden father-daughter bonding moment or not. “You must be the Kim Myungsoo that my daughter went back in time for,” he said.

Myungsoo jumped at the sound of his name and immediately bowed 90 degrees at the man. “Um, yes sir. I’m Kim Myungsoo,” he said. He then went over and held out his hand. “It’s nice to meet you, sir.”

Yoomi’s dad let out a laugh as he shook Myungsoo’s hand. “It’s nice to finally meet you too,” he said. He then let out a breath and smiled, taking in the scenery around him.

“I’m glad that I finally got to the right time and place. I actually accidently pressed the wrong buttons a few times and ended up in the Jurassic Era. I nearly got stepped on by a dinosaur.” He laughed again before turning towards Yoomi and talking to her.

*Well, at least I know where Yoomi got her clumsy button pushing trait from,* Myungsoo thought.

“Oh, so you were testing out a hoverboard on Myungsoo?” her dad questioned.

“Yeah, Myungsoo is great at testing things out,” she said in reply.

“Really?” Her dad said again before turning towards Myungsoo. “Then that’s great! I was actually thinking about working on making stuff again since I now do not have a flying car business to look after anymore.”

“Wait, Dad! You gave away the business?”

Her dad nodded. “I gave it to your uncle,” he said. “It was the least I could do after I accidently turned his robot collection into an aquarium. That happened a very long time ago, but he still holds a grudge against me for it.”

He then turned towards Myungsoo again. “So what do you say? Will you help me test out my future inventions?” he asked him.

Myungsoo saw the excited and expectant look in her dad’s eyes and didn’t know what to say. He had no desire to take part in another invention and judging from what her dad had just said about her uncle, he had a feeling that clumsiness and the ability to make mistakes—despite their high intelligence—ran in her family.

“You don’t have to if you don’t want to, though,” her dad continued. “I don’t want to force you into testing out things for me.”

Myungsoo nodded in understanding before turning to Yoomi, hoping that she would help him. But to his dismay, she only shrugged and mouthed ‘It’s your decision.’ He looked back at her dad again and sighed at the sight of his eager eyes.

“Okay, I’ll do it,” he said.

Her dad’s face brightened up and he gave Myungsoo a big hug. “Thank you! Now I finally have a test subject again!”

Myungsoo forced on a smile despite feeling like he had just made a horrible decision. *Another inventor in my life, huh?* he thought with a weak laugh. *I’m officially doomed.*