Shrink Ray

An Inventor's Mistake

"Myungsoo, wake up," Yoomi said.

Myungsoo slowly opened his eyes to see Yoomi in front of him. He then turned to the other side and pulled the covers over his head. "Just 5 more minutes," he mumbled.

"Wake up, I need you to test something for me," Yoomi said. She climbed onto the bed and started to jump on it. "Wake up already!"

Myungsoo sat up. "What are you doing so early in the morning!" he said in a grouchy mood. "It's a Sunday for crying out loud! Just let me sleep!" He lied back down and pulled the covers up to his neck.

Yoomi frowned. "But I woke up so early to make this. Can't you test it out for me just this once," Yoomi pleaded.

"No, just go back to sleep," Myungsoo replied without looking at her.

Yoomi went over to the other side of the bed and crouched down on the ground next to him. "Please, just this once," she said.

Myungsoo opened his eyes and was face-to-face with Yoomi's puppy dog eyes. "I'm not going to fall for that, so don't even try," he said. Yoomi stood her ground and continued to do her puppy dog face. The longer Myungsoo stared at her, the more he felt like giving in. "Oh, alright. What do you want me to test out?" he asked as he sat up.

"Really? You're going to test it for me?" Yoomi asked happily.

"Yes, now tell me what it is before I change my mind," Myungsoo said.

Yoomi took out an object from behind her back and showed it to him. "Ta-dah, the shrink ray!" Yoomi said proudly. "I made this so that I can move my time machine to my room since it doesn't fit through the door."

Myungsoo looked at the shrink ray in her hand. It was blue and looked like a toy gun. "So you want to shrink me into a tiny human?" he asked with a raised eyebrow.

Yoomi nodded. "Yup, and don't worry about any side effects because this is something that I made and sold in the future," she said. "There were no customers that reported about any negative side effects."

"Wait, so you sell these kind of things in the future like it's an everyday thing?" Myungsoo asked.

"Yeah, but I'm the only one who can make this so it's something that is only sold in my store," Yoomi replied. "The last time somebody tried to copy my invention, he ended up having a really small head on a normal sized body. He looked just like the headless horseman since you can barely see his head at first."

"Did you try to help him return his head back to normal?" Myungsoo asked.

"No, he was too embarrassed to even face me. He was a regular customer so when I recognized him during a walk, I was about to approach him and ask him what happened, but then when he noticed me he said, 'NO, GET AWAY FROM ME! YOU'RE A LUNATIC FOR INVENTING A MACHINE LIKE THAT! A LUNATIC!' He then ran away from me and I never saw him again," Yoomi said as she remembered the scene. "So then I asked around about him and they said that he tried to copy my machine and sell it to a big company." 

Myungsoo was looking at her like she was the strangest thing on Earth. "You sure are weird, you know that?" he said.

"For some reason, it seems like I get that a lot, but I don't think that I'm that weird, am I?" she asked as she tilted her head. "Anyways, back to the shrink ray. Are you ready to test it now?"

"Yeah, but if anything bad happens to me then I'll make sure to get my revenge later on," he said as he stood up.

"Don't worry, nothing's going to go wrong. I already made this before; it's highly unlikely that I will make a mistake with this," Yoomi said confidently.

"But if you made this before, why would you want me to test it?" Myungsoo asked.

"I had to improvise since I didn't have access to any of the materials that I used in the future," Yoomi explained. "So I need to know if this will work or not."

"But why can't you test it on your machine? Aren't you going to use this on it anyway?" Myungsoo asked.

"Well I can, but I can't take any risks with it. That machine is my only way home," Yoomi said. "And besides, I'm pretty sure that you don't want me to test it out on your furniture. It seems like they're pretty expensive."

Myungsoo thought about it. *If one day my parents come home and find out that all of the furniture turned into the size that will fit in a dollhouse, they will surely throw a fit.* "Alright I understand, so what do I have to do?" he asked as they reached the living room.

"Just stand there and I'll shoot this at you," Yoomi replied.

"Woah, woah, wait a minute. Is this going to hurt?" Myungsoo asked nervously.

"No, don't worry. You'll just feel a tingly sensation," Yoomi reassured. She pointed the shrink ray at him and pressed a button on the handle.

Myungsoo felt something weird go through his body. It kind of felt like a current, but it wasn't at all painful. He also saw the world around him become bigger and bigger. Everything was towering over him, even Yoomi.

"Good, it worked," Yoomi said. She put the shrink ray down and sat down on the floor in front of him. "So how does it feel? Did it hurt?"

Myungsoo was still kind of confused with what just happened. "I don't know. I guess I feel fine, and it definitely didn't hurt. It felt more like a tickle," he replied.

"Good, so I guess no negative side effects," Yoomi said with a smile. She started to examine him. "I'm guessing from your size that you're about 3 inches tall. That's definitely enough to move my machine through the door."

"Does that mean that you'll turn me back now?" Myungsoo asked.

"Yup, the test was a success," Yoomi said. She was about to turn him back when she realized something. "Uh oh," she said as she looked all around the device. "It seems like I forgot to add the button that turns you back to normal. I guess you're kind of stuck like that until I add on that feature, so..... sorry," she said hesitantly. "You're not mad right?"

Myungsoo had on an indescribable expression. "So I'm stuck like this until you add that?" he asked.

Yoomi slowly nodded. "But don't worry, it won't take long," she replied.

"That's what you said before, but look at me! I'm stuck as a 3 inch tall human! It would've been better if I was a fairy and had wings, but no. I'm stuck on the ground and now I have to worry about being stepped on!" he angrily yelled.

Yoomi flinched at his sudden outburst. "I'm going to work on this right away and turn you back," Yoomi said. "It's not like I'm going to leave you that way for the rest of your life."

"Yeah, but once I'm back to my regular size, you're so gonna get it Song Yoomi!" he said as he pointed at her.

"Or maybe I should just leave you that way. I think that would be better if I don't want to die in your hands," Yoomi said reconsidering her decision.

"Don't you dare leave me like this, Song Yoomi!" Myungsoo yelled.

"If you want me to turn you back then be nicer. Instead of yelling at me, you should ask me nicely to turn you back," Yoomi said.

"Aish fine!" Myungsoo agreed. "Yoomi, can you please turn me back to normal?" Myungsoo tried to be as polite as he could even though he was clearly irritated.

"That's more I like it," Yoomi said with a satisfied smile. She placed her palm in front of Myungsoo and said, "Hop on, tell me where you want to stay while I work on the shrink ray since it would take some time."

Myungsoo climbed onto her palm and stood there. "Just take me over to the couch and turn on the t.v. for me," he said.

Yoomi carefully stood up with Myungsoo in her hand and slowly walked over to the couch. She gently placed him on the couch and the t.v. for him. "It won't be too long before I finish working on it so just enjoy your time as tiny Myungsoo," she said as she placed the remote next to him.

"Never call me that again," Myungsoo said coldly.

Yoomi pouted. "Do you hate me now? It was just one mistake and I said that I would turn you back," she said.

Myungsoo looked at her. *I really want to stay mad at her, but for some reason I just can't.* He sighed and said, "No, I'm not. I'm just a little frustrated, that's all."

Yoomi smiled. "Then I promise that I'll turn you back very soon. You can trust me," she said before going up to her room.

Myungsoo shook his head. "That girl has made my life way too complicated. Why did I even agree to let her stay with me in the first place?" he said before turning towards the t.v.