I Don't Want to Forget You

An Inventor's Mistake

"Woah, the inside of this shield is completely charred," Myungsoo said. 

When they arrived back into the bakery, they saw that it was still the same and nothing was destroyed from the explosion. The only difference was the shield that contained a destroyed Pi in it.

"Yeah," Yoomi said as she looked at the inside of the shield. "Good thing I put a bottom to the shield or it would have left a mark on the floor."

"So what do we do now?" Myungsoo asked. 

"Let's just throw this away into the garbage," Yoomi said. She took the shield, with Pi in it, and threw it into the garbage. "The garbage collectors would take it before Halmeoni would see it." She then sighed. "Another one of my inventions in the trash." 

Myungsoo felt guilty since this wasn't the only time that he had ruined one of her inventions. Even though he was almost killed by them many times, he had to admit that it was partly his fault that it happened. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to break Pi like that," he said. "I didn't know that it would blow up."

"It's okay. I can always make another one if I want to," Yoomi said. She then turned towards the place where Pi is now lying and waved goodbye. "Goodbye Pi, I hope that you won't be alone when you meet Ed." She gave Pi one last look before turning towards Myungsoo. 

"Okay, let's go home now," she said, regaining her smile.

"Are you okay?" Myungsoo asked. "Your invention just exploded because of me."

"Myungsoo, you don't have to feel sorry. You didn't know that she would blow up," Yoomi said. "Come on, let's go. It's getting late."

They then locked up the bakery and headed towards the bus. It was pretty late and there weren't many people on the bus at that time. They both scanned their bus card and went to a seat near the back. 

"Wow, what a long day," Yoomi said as she sat down. 

Myungsoo looked at her and noticed some dark circles under her eyes. "Why do you have dark circles? Did you have trouble sleeping?" he asked.

Yoomi shook her head. "No, I spent all night making Pi," she said. "Sometimes I get an idea pretty late at night and just start inventing without even noticing the time."

Myungsoo felt the guiltiness coming back. "Sorry about Pi," he said. 

"Why do you keep apologizing? I already said that it wasn't your fault, I was the one that made you misunderstand," she said. 

Myungsoo didn't say anything and it was quiet for a moment. Nobody else seemed to be talking on the bus and it was completely silent. Then, at the corner of his eye, he saw something move. He turned towards Yoomi and saw that her head was down. "It seems like she's sleeping," he quietly said. He smiled when he saw her head bobbing up and down. Then, when she accidently hit her head against a window, he held back a laugh. 

Yoomi opened her eyes when she felt the impact from the window. "What, what just happened?" she asked as she looked around in a daze. 

"You just fell asleep," Myungsoo replied, still with a smile on his face. 

"Oh, really?" she asked. She then tried to stay awake, but her eyes ended up closing again. 

"Aigoo, Song Yoomi," Myungsoo said. "You really need to know when to stop inventing when you're tired." He then saw her head bobbing up and down again. It was getting closer and closer to hitting the window a second time. Without even hesitating, he gently pulled her head towards his shoulder where she laid perfectly still. He then smiled as he pushed her hair out of her face.

"Aigoo, another one of those lovey-dovey couples," the bus driver said as he saw them in the mirror. "I seriously don't know why they just watch the girl while she's sleeping. It seems pretty creepy to me." He then went back to driving and felt a little bitter since he was still alone.


 

"We're finally home!" Yoomi said happily as she ran inside. 

Myungsoo smiled and closed the door behind him. He then walked in and saw Yoomi lying on the couch while taking up all of the space. "Yah, move over," he said. 

Yoomi shook her head. "I don't want to." She stuck out her tongue and continued to hug the pillow that was on the couch.

"I want to sit so move over," he said again. 

"Then just sit on the floor." She stubbornly stayed where she was and wouldn't move.

"Move or else I would do something," he said. 

"Like what?" she asked. 

"Like this." He then picked her up and she hung onto his neck, afraid of falling. 

"Yah, Kim Myungsoo! Put me down!" Yoomi yelled. She was hanging on for dear life and didn't want to know what it would feel like to fall onto the cold, hard ground. 

"Alright then," he said. He pretended like he was about to drop her which made her hang onto him even more. 

"I seriously swear that if you drop me then you might never be able to see your house in a good condition anymore," she said. 

"Is that a threat?" he asked with a raised eyebrow.

Yoomi noticed what she said and slowly nodded. "Um… yes?" she said hesitantly.

"You know, I have the advantage right now. I can drop you at anytime," he said. "And I don't appreciate it when I feel like I'm being threatened."

Yoomi knew that she made a big mistake and quickly took back her words. "Okay, okay, I'm sorry," she said. "Now can you just gently put me down on the couch or even the floor if you want. As long as it’s gentle then I’m fine with being on the floor."

Myungsoo paused for a moment and looked like he was thinking. "Hm... no."

Yoomi widened her eyes when she saw a playful smirk on his face. Before she knew it, the world around her became a blur as she felt herself spinning in circles. "Yah, Kim Myungsoo! Stop it!" She then closed her eyes, hoping that it would prevent her from becoming too dizzy.

Myungsoo let out a laugh and didn't stop. After a few seconds of spinning, he started to get dizzy. He then sat down onto the couch while still holding Yoomi and saw the world around him still spinning even though he had already stopped. He then noticed Yoomi with her head buried into his chest and not moving. "Yah, Song Yoomi," he said worriedly. "Are you alright?"

Yoomi opened her eyes and raised her head up. "I feel like throwing up," she said. 

"Yah," he said with wide eyes. "You'd better not throw up on me. This is my favorite shirt!"

"Then why did you spin me around?" she asked. "I still feel like the world is still going around and around even though I'm sitting still."

Myungsoo let out another laugh. "And that's what you get for not moving over for me," he said. 

"This isn't funny," she said as she looked at him. "Aren't you feeling dizzy also?"

"Yup, but it was worth it," he replied. 

They then met eyes with each other and noticed what kind of position that they were in. She was sitting on his lap with her arms around his neck, and he was still in the same position as when he was carrying her. Their faces were very close to each other and they couldn't help but feel their heart beat rapidly as they stared into each other's eyes. 

Myungsoo closed his eyes and started to slowly lean in. Yoomi widened her eyes when she realized what he was about to do and pushed him away before he could get closer. She then got off from his lap and stood up. "I-I'm going to m-my b-bedroom," she stuttered. She turned around and quickly ran upstairs. 

Myungsoo watched her run away from him and disappear upstairs. He then hit himself on the head when he realized what he had done. "Aish, Kim Myungsoo! Why did you do that?!" he yelled at himself. He ruffled his hair out of frustration and continued hitting himself on the head. "I'm such an idiot. Why did I even do that! Now what if she avoids me?" The more he thought about it, the more he regretted his actions. "Ah, I'm ruined!"

Upstairs, Yoomi was sitting on her bed thinking about what just happened. "He just tried to kiss me right? It wasn't just my imagination or my dizziness right?" She remembered Myungsoo's face up close to hers and blushed. "Ah, I don't know anymore!" She then buried her face into her pillow while lying down on her bed, not knowing what to think about the situation. 

After a moment of just lying there, she suddenly remembered her phone. Not the phone that she has on her right now, but the phone that she brought with her from the future. She got up and went to the drawer that contained the phone. A familiar feeling came to her when she held it. "I almost forgot about you." She then tried to turn it on, but the screen remained dark.

"Yup, out of battery," she said. She looked at the wireless charger that she brought with her from the future to charge her phone in case of emergencies. She remembered when she fixed her phone to be able to communicate with her dad if something would have happened, it even had a date selector for her to select the day and time that she wanted to call her dad. Bad thing is that her dad wouldn't be able to call her back since his phone wasn't fixed to do that. 

"Should I call him?" she asked herself. She thought about it and then shook her head, thinking that it was a bad idea. "No, I shouldn't. On the first day that I got stuck here, I called him an hour after he left my shop. That was the only time that he was most likely free from work, and I shouldn't call him the next day or something. I probably already fixed my machine and came back before the next day even began."

Yoomi sighed and put her phone back into the drawer. She then looked at her nearly half finished machine and remembered that she didn't belong there. She didn't belong in Myungsoo's timeline and was probably never meant to meet him. "I wasn't supposed to meet him. I was never meant to be here," she said to herself. "I need to go back if I want to fix his timeline. He should have never met me in the first place."

With that thought in mind, she decided to work on her machine. *I need to fix my mistake. Once this is fixed, I'll prevent my past self from ever finishing it,* she thought as she got her tools. She started working on it, but felt reluctant. She didn't want to forget about him and didn't want to leave him, but this was for the best. She was the one that ruined his timeline and she was going to fix it.


 

"Yoomi, it's time for school," he nervously said as he knocked on her door.

He felt a little uneasy to see her again ever since what happened last night. He didn't know what to say to her or even how he should act around her. Should he just pretend like it never happened or should he avoid her? He then thought that the latter would be the worst decision since he didn't want to avoid her. He wanted to see her smiling face again and wanted to hear her sweet voice. It would be his worst nightmare if she decided to avoid him. 

He held his breath as he waited, hoping that she would open it and give him her usual bright smile. When the door opened, he was instead met with a tired looking Yoomi. It was evident that she didn't get much sleep last night since her dark circles were more visible. "Did you not sleep last night?" he asked with a worried expression. 

Yoomi shook her head, but didn't say anything. "Why didn't you sleep?" he asked again. Yoomi didn't answer and just looked down at the ground. 

"Yoomi, answer me. Why didn't you sleep?" he asked again. He didn't like how she wasn't talking to him. Especially when it comes to health reasons like this. 

Yoomi pointed at the sign as her response. Myungsoo looked at the sign and finally knew her reason for not sleeping now. "You worked on another invention?" he asked with a raised eyebrow. I told you that you shouldn't get carried away when you work on those things. You should at least know when to rest when you're tired."

Yoomi just nodded and didn't say anything else. Myungsoo let out a frustrated sigh when she wasn't saying anything. "Yoomi, please say something," he said. "I don't like it when you're not talking to me, so please don't give me the silent treatment." He didn't get a response and felt a tight knot in his chest. "Do you hate me now because of what happened yesterday?"

Yoomi was about to shake her head, but Myungsoo kept talking. "Look, I'm sorry about yesterday. I know that I warned you about men and wolves and I even said that I wasn't one of them, but I made a mistake yesterday. I don't know what got into me to make me do that, but I sincerely regret it," he said. "So please, don't avoid me and talk to me. I'm truly sorry for yesterday, I truly am."

Yoomi heard the desperation in his voice and started to feel a little bad. "Myungsoo, I'm not angry about what happened yesterday and that's also not why I wasn't talking to you," she said. She let out a deep breath before continuing. "I was just thinking that we were never meant to meet each other. We were never meant to be friends in the first place."

"I ruined your timeline by intruding it using my time machine and the only way to fix it is to prevent me from ever meeting you. That's why I was working on my machine all night yesterday. Once it's working again, I can stop my past self from making it and we would never meet each other."

Myungsoo couldn't believe what she was saying. "You mean that you want to erase yourself from my memories and my life just to fix my timeline?"

Yoomi nodded. "It's for the best," she said.

"You're such an idiot," he said coldly. Yoomi was surprised when he replied in such a way.

"You're an idiot," he said again. "You really think that I want to forget you?" Disbelief was written on his face as he looked at her and she nodded in response.

"Well don't think that way because let me tell you that I would never want to forget you no matter what happens. You're not ruining my timeline so don't say that erasing you from my life is for the best," he said. Then the emotionless face that he had on disappeared and a sad one replaced it. "So don't make me forget you. I would rather have you not talk to me for the rest of my life than make me forget you."

He put both of his hands on her shoulder and looked her in the eye. "You said that we were best friends, you even gave me a phone strap and said that we would find each other even if we separate."

"But I said that I didn't believe in it though," she said. 

"But I do," Myungsoo said. He then pulled her into a hug. "So don't say something like that."

Yoomi felt her heart warm up and hugged him back. They stayed that way for a while until Myungsoo spoke up. "But how far did you get in fixing your time machine?"

"I'm a little over half-way there," she replied. "But why are you asking?"

Myungsoo then broke the hug. "Because you still owe me," he said. "I'm not letting you leave until you pay me back."

Yoomi pouted at his answer. "Then that whole speech about us being best friends was just a way to say that I can't leave you until I pay you back?"

Myungsoo had on a playful smile. "Well, that was part of the reason," he said jokingly. 

Yoomi huffed. "And I thought that you really valued me that much as a friend, but I guess that was all a lie," she said before walking away. 

"W-wait," Myungsoo said when he saw her leave him. "I was just joking."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever you say," she said without looking back. 

"Wait, no! I was really joking!" he said before running after her.


 

"Alright class, good news," Mr.Yong said. He paused for a moment for dramatic effect. "We're taking our first field trip!" The class instantly cheered and started talking to their friends about the field trip. "Now, now, settle down. I still haven't gone through everything that I have to say yet." The class quieted, waiting for him to say the rest of it.

"We're going to Jeju Island for 3 days and 2 nights. The whole grade would be going, so I bet that that's good news if you have friends in other classes. Also, we're planning on letting you guys have a lot freedom since it's the last year of high school for you guys and we believe that you are responsible enough to handle it."

"You'll be able to wander around the whole island if you want as long as you come back on time. You also have to go as a group at all times in case of an emergency. The rest of the information would be in this paper that I'm going to pass out right now." Mr.Yong started passing out the papers to all of the students. 

"Oh, and we will be staying at a hotel so you'll have to pay for that. If you have a problem with it then you can come see me." All of the students looked at the paper excitedly and started talking to their friends again. "Wait, I'm not done yet. Last thing that I have to say is that you have to pick a partner to stay in the hotel rooms with. No more than 2 people in each room, unless you are fine with sleeping on the floor. So once you're done deciding then come to me and tell me your partners since I'm the one in charge of recording it."

"But I have a question," a girl said as she raised her hand. 

"What is it?" Mr.Yong asked. 

"Can a girl and a boy stay in one room?" she asked. The classroom started making 'ooh' sounds at her question. 

Mr.Yong sighed. "Well, here comes the part that I don't agree with," he said. "Yes, you can." The classroom was about to cheer, but Mr.Yong spoke up again. "But, you have to be extremely responsible. We expect you to pick your partners wisely, especially the girls. If you want to share a room with a boy then make sure that you can completely trust him and that you won't do anything stupid."

"Ne," the class obediently obeyed. 

"Alright, then do you have any more questions?" He waited for a moment to see if anybody would raise their hand. After a minute of waiting and seeing that nobody would raise their hands, he concluded that they don't have any more questions. "Then I'll take that as a no. I'll be right here so when you're ready to tell me your partners then come here."

The bell then rang and they all left for the cafeteria. 

As they were walking towards the cafeteria, Yoomi let out a sigh. "I guess I can't go," she said, disappointed. 

"Wait, what do you mean that you can't go?" Myungsoo asked. 

"I don't have money, so I can't pay for it," she replied. 

"Then I'll just pay for you," he suggested. 

Yoomi quickly shook her head. "No, I already have a lot of debt to you. With this, it would just add on to it," she said. 

"Don't worry, I won't let this count as debt to me," he reassured. "It would just be something that you can thank me for later."

"But I feel bad that you have to spend so much money to help me go on this trip," she said. "You already helped me enough. I'll feel even worse if you help me with this also."

"But I don't mind helping you. That's what friends are for," he said, trying to convince her. "So are you going to go?"

Yoomi thought about it. Myungsoo saw her take a rather long time thinking and knew that she was going to say no. "Come on, please," he said. "It would be boring if I can't go to Jeju with my best friend."

Yoomi heard him say best friend and smiled. "Really? I'm your best friend?"

Myungsoo nodded. "Yeah, don't we have our phone straps to prove it?"

Yoomi smiled even wider. "Alright, I'll go," she said happily. 

Myungsoo smiled in satisfaction. *Yes, I finally convinced her,* he happily thought.


 

I hope that you guys are anticipating the next chapter because there would be a Jeju trip special! XD *throws confetti in the air* 

Also, how was your halloween? Were you one of the trick-or-treaters or the one who gave out the candy?