Mission Start

An Inventor's Mistake

As soon as they got off of the boat, Myungsoo got started on his mission right away. 

"Yoomi-ah~," he said with a cute smile. "Let me help you take your life jacket off." He approached her, but she held out her hand to stop him. 

"Myungsoo, I can do it myself," she said. She was about to take off her life jacket, but Myungsoo caught her hand. 

"Don't you remember our bet? You cannot, and I repeat, cannot push me away when I try to do skinship," he said. 

"But this isn't even skinship," Yoomi retorted. 

"But this is skinship," Myungsoo said. "I don't want to sound weird, but in a way I am touching you when I help you take off your life jacket."

"You know, you didn't want to sound weird, but you ended up sounding very weird," she said. 

"Yes, I know," Myungsoo said. "So let me help you take off your life jacket already. I just ruined my image for trying to help you."

Yoomi reluctantly let him help and he came closer to help her out of the life jacket. She was able to see his face up close and blushed a bit. She then quickly hid it since she didn't want to lose. 

When they were both out of their life jackets, they started walking again. "So where are we going now?" Yoomi asked. 

"Somewhere," Myungsoo answered. 

"Does that 'somewhere' have food? I'm starving." She pouted and laid a hand on her stomach. 

Myungsoo smiled when he saw how cute she was. "Yes, it does," he replied.

Yoomi happily smiled at the thought of food as she walked. Suddenly, she felt a hand holding hers. Her eyes trailed over to the owner of the hand and saw Myungsoo smiling at her. 

As soon as they made eye contact, she blushed and looked away. "Are you losing already?" Myungsoo asked with a smirk. "Come on, I haven't even started yet."

Yoomi regained her composure and looked at him. "No, I'm not losing yet," she replied, not wanting to lose. She then tightened her grip on his hand and continued walking. 

Now it was Myungsoo's time to blush. He couldn't help, but notice how her hand fits perfectly into his and how his heart would flutter from just looking at her. He knows it sounds cliché, but he couldn't help himself from feeling that way. After all, who can control the fluttering of their own heart?

They arrived at a restaurant and sat down at a table. The waiter came and gave them their menus. The waiter looked quite young, maybe in his early 20's, and was staring at Yoomi. For some reason, he couldn't take his eyes off of her. 

Yoomi was too focused with thinking about what she should order to notice it, but Myungsoo saw everything. He saw how the waiter would smile when Yoomi furrowed her eyebrows while trying to think and how he watched her with soft eyes. *What is that guy doing?* Myungsoo thought angrily. He didn't like how the guy looked at Yoomi and felt a prickly feeling in his chest. 

"Excuse me, but can you take my order now?" Myungsoo asked while glaring at the waiter. 

"Uh, what?" the waiter said. He realized that he was still on his job and took out his pen and paper. "Sorry, sir," he apologized. "Please tell me your order."

"I want the spaghetti," Myungsoo said as he harshly closed his menu.

The waiter didn't seem affected by it and just took the menu back after writing the order down. "And you ma'am, may I take yours?" the waiter asked as he turned towards Yoomi.

"Um, yes," Yoomi said, finally making a choice. "I'll have the cream spaghetti." She politely smiled at him and gave him back the menu. 

The waiter wrote it down before looking up and smiling at her. "Yes ma'am, it's coming right up," he said. 

Myungsoo saw their interaction and quickly butted in. "Jagiya~" he said while smiling his dimple smile. "You're ordering spaghetti too, wow it really seems like we're a match made in heaven for us to order something so similar."

Yoomi's eyes widened by the way that he was acting. *Wow, when Myungsoo doesn't want to lose a bet, he really doesn't want to lose a bet,* she thought amazed. 

The waiter stood there awkwardly. "Um, are you two dating?" he asked. 

Yoomi was about to say no when Myungsoo interrupted her. "Yes," he said. "We're dating and I'm her boyfriend." He shot a look to the waiter that told him to back off and the waiter did back off, in fright. 

Myungsoo then turned back to Yoomi and smiled. "So how did you like our date so far?" he asked, trying to change the topic. 

Yoomi looked at him weirdly, but just went along with it. "It was nice," she replied returning the smile. "I got to ride a duck boat for the first time, eat at a very nice looking restaurant, and best of all, I got to hang out with a friend for the very first time."

Myungsoo's smile instantly fell. "Friend?" he asked. 

Yoomi nodded, not knowing why his facial expression suddenly changed. "Yeah, friend," she repeated. "But is there something wrong? Why are you frowning all of a sudden?"

"It's because right now we're not on a friendly date," Myungsoo said. "I know that at first I said that it was, but not right now. Right now you're my girlfriend and I'm your boyfriend. We already made a bet, so for the rest of the day we're on a romantic date."

"Wait, what about the part where we celebrate your success on ranking the 31st?" Yoomi asked. 

"We're celebrating it right now," Myungsoo said. "We went on a duck boat and we're eating. That sounds like quite a celebration to me."

The order then came and they both started eating. 

"Do you like the food?" Myungsoo asked. Yoomi just nodded with full. He then noticed that there was some sauce on her lips. "You've got something right there," he said as he pointed at the sauce. 

Yoomi looked at him confused and swallowed her food. "What do you mean?" she asked. 

Without hesitating, Myungsoo reached over and wiped the sauce off with his thumb causing for her to blush like crazy. "It's just sauce," he said while wiping it on a napkin. He then saw her bright, red face and smirked. "Don't tell me that you're actually blushing over something so cliché like this," he said teasingly.

"No I'm not!" Yoomi denied. She then looked down at her food, trying to hide her beet red face. "Stupid sympathetic nervous system, always kicking in at the wrong time," she mumbled. 

"Tsk, tsk, tsk," Myungsoo said while shaking his head. "I don't know if we should continue this bet or not because I'm worried that you might get a heart attack. Sometimes, I'm just too handsome and charming for my own good."

Yoomi looked at him with an 'are you serious look' on her face. "Of course we'll continue this bet, I'm definitely not losing," she said feeling competitive. 

"Yeah, whatever you say, but deep down I bet that you already know that you will lose," Myungsoo playfully said. 

"Yeah right, I'm not losing," Yoomi said with a determined face. 

After they finished their meal, the waiter came back with their check. "Here's your check sir," the waiter said. 

Myungsoo took out his wallet and went through it. When he was looking through his wallet, he saw the waiter give something to Yoomi. Yoomi read it and smiled. She looked like she was agreeing to something. "Ahem," he interrupted. He got out some money from his wallet and laid it onto the table. "Let's go," he said while getting up. 

"Oh, okay," Yoomi said while also getting up. She then turned to the waiter and said, "I'll just give you my number now since we're leaving."

Myungsoo widened his eyes as he saw her whip out her phone. "Wait, what are you doing?" he asked. 

"I'm just giving him my number," Yoomi said. "He said that he wants to be my friend."

Myungsoo face palmed. *Not the friend thing again,* he thought. Before they could exchange numbers, Myungsoo quickly grabbed Yoomi's phone out of her hands. 

"What are you doing?" she asked while feeling surprised. She jumped up and down; trying to get her phone back, but it was no use. Myungsoo raised it high above his head and he wouldn't let her get any closer to it. 

He then faced the waiter and shot him a glare. "Sorry, but my girlfriend is taken," he said emphasizing the girlfriend part. "I know that you're just doing this to make a move on her and I don't appreciate it. She's mine and only mine so back off!" Myungsoo already reached the peak of his patience. He couldn't hold in his anger any longer and just blew it. 

"Myungsoo, he was only trying to become my friend. Look, I have proof!" Yoomi said as she showed him the note. On the note it said, "I would like to become friends with you. Would you be kind enough to accept my friendship and exchange phone numbers? ^-^"

Myungsoo read it, but he was still not buying it. "Just because he says that he wants to be your friend, it doesn't mean that it’s all he wants," he said. 

"What do you mean by that?" Yoomi asked. 

"It means that I don't trust him," Myungsoo said. 

"But it doesn't matter if you trust him or not. I trust him and I want to become friends with him," Yoomi said. "Now just give me back my phone." 

Myungsoo looked at Yoomi, then at the waiter, then back at Yoomi again. "Fine," he said. "Do whatever you want." He gave her phone back and walked out of the restaurant. 

"But Myung-," Yoomi started to say, but he was already out the door. 

"Aish, Song Yoomi," Myungsoo said. "Just giving her number away so easily like that. Who cares about making more friends anyways, she already has me! Isn't that enough?!" 

The passersby looked at him like he was a mad person, but he didn't care. All he cared about now was if Yoomi gave the guy her number or not. "Song Yoomi, always getting on my nerves," he said as he kicked a pebble on the ground. "Song Yoomi, always getting hit on by guys," he said while kicking it again. "Song Yoomi, why are you making me feel this way?!" he yelled while kicking the pebble one last time with all of his force.

The poor pebble became airborne and hit somebody else on the head. "Ow!" the middle-aged man yelled, feeling the pain from the pebble. He turned around to find the culprit and laid eyes on Myungsoo. "Watch where you shoot that thing, young man!" he angrily shouted. 

Myungsoo widened his eyes and quickly bowed. "I'm so sorry, sir," he said as he continued bowing. 

The man then turned away with a scowl on his face. "Youngsters these days," he said while walking away. 

Myungsoo stopped bowing and looked up. "Aish Song Yoomi, why are you always causing trouble in my life?!" he said, irritated. 

"Cause what trouble?" somebody said out of nowhere. 

"Woah!" Myungsoo said in surprise. He turned around and saw Yoomi standing in front of him. "Oh, it's just you," he said before turning and walking away. 

"W-wait a minute," Yoomi said, catching up with him. "Look, I know you're mad and I'm sorry," she apologized. 

Myungsoo stopped walking and faced her. "Do you even know why I'm mad?" he asked.

Yoomi was caught off guard and quickly tried to think of something. "Um, because I didn't pay?" she hesitantly answered. 

Myungsoo sighed. "Just forget it," he said before walking away again. 

"Wait!" Yoomi said while catching up with him again. "Why are you mad?" she asked. Myungsoo didn't answer and kept walking. "Can you at least tell me so that I would know?" There was still no answer. "Come on, please. Just tell me," she said. 

"Even if I tell you, you wouldn't understand," he said as he started walking faster. 

Yoomi saw him walking away and huffed. "Aigoo, and they say that girls are moody," she said. She then quickly ran in front of him and spread her arms out to block his path. 

Myungsoo looked at her. "What are you doing?" he asked.

"I'm not letting you through until you tell me," she said. 

Myungsoo tried walking to her left, but she moved in front of him. He tried walking to her right, but she moved in front of him again. He then sighed. "Move," he said. Yoomi stubbornly shook her head with her arms spread out. Myungsoo sighed again. "Fine," he said before turning around and walking the other direction. 

Yoomi widened her eyes in shock. "Wha-what? That's not fair!" she said as she ran up to him. She quickly grabbed his arm to stop him from walking. 

"What now?" he asked. 

"Please, just tell me already," she said.

She gave him the puppy dog face and he knew that he couldn't resist. "No," he said with all of his willpower. "Just figure it out yourself."

"But I can't figure it out. My deductive reasoning isn't good enough yet. Can you please just tell me?" Yoomi asked again. "Please, with a cherry on top?" Myungsoo shook his head. "Sprinkles?" Myungsoo shook his head again. "Then how about actual ice cream? I'll pay this time and you can pick any toppings that you want."

Myungsoo looked at her. "Really? Anything?" he asked. Yoomi nodded. "But the last time that I checked, you were completely broke.”

“Well I got lucky and somebody gave me 20,000 won,” she said.

He started feeling a little suspicious. “And why did they give you that much money?” he asked.

“Do you really want to know?” she asked back.

Myungsoo nodded and was worried that she might have done something stupid. “Please don’t tell me that you did anything that could have put yourself in danger,” he said.

“Of course not,” she replied. “In the morning, before you were awake, I went out looking for a part time job. Since it was unsuccessful, I sat down on the side of street because my legs were hurting and there were no benches there at the time. Then somebody saw me and offered me 20,000 won because they thought that I was homeless.”

“Wait, they thought that you were homeless?” he asked. Yoomi nodded. “And you accepted the money?”

“What was I suppose to do? I was broke and there was somebody nice enough to offer me money, so of course I accepted it,” she said.

“Wow, you went through a lot,” he said. “Alright fine, I’ll tell you.”

"Finally," Yoomi said. "So what is it? Why are you mad?"

"I'm mad because you were about to give your number to that guy," he admitted. 

"But we were only trying to become friends with each other. What's wrong with exchanging numbers if we wanted to be friends?" Yoomi asked. 

"I knew it, you wouldn't understand," Myungsoo said. He was about to walk away when Yoomi grabbed his arm again. 

"You're right, I won't understand," Yoomi said. "But if it makes you happy then I won't ever contact him, not even once."

"But didn't you already give him your number?" Myungsoo asked. 

Yoomi shook her head. "No, I didn't because as soon as you left I went after you," she explained. 

Myungsoo looked skeptical. "You really didn't?" he asked. 

"Of course not," Yoomi said sincerely. 

Myungsoo knew that she wasn't lying and a happy smile grew on his face. "Then let's go get ice cream," he happily said. He linked his arm with hers and started walking. 

"What in the world? How did his mood change so fast?" Yoomi asked herself. She watched him walking and saw that he wasn’t mad anymore. "I guess I'll just never understand a guy."

Myungsoo brought Yoomi to an ice cream shop and as he walked in, he was praying to God to not let it be another guy. *Oh, please, please, please, don't let it be another male worker,* he thought. *I don't want to defend Yoomi from another guy again.* When he went in and saw that it was a female worker, a relieve smile formed onto his face. 

*Oh, thank goodness.* "Yoomi, what would you like? I'll order," Myungsoo said. 

"I'll just have chocolate," she replied. 

They walked up to the worker and Myungsoo started to order. "I would like 1 chocolate and 1 vanilla ice cream please," he said. 

"Coming right up," the worker said. The worker started scooping the ice cream into cones and gave it to him. 

Myungsoo then gave Yoomi her ice cream and, just like she promised, she paid. When they got out of the store, Yoomi spoke up. 

"You know, you gave in pretty quickly," she said while her ice cream. 

"What do you mean?" he asked. 

"Well, I thought that it would have taken a lot more than just ice cream to make you say why you were mad," Yoomi said. 

"Yup, it doesn't take a lot," Myungsoo said. "But mostly, it's because I wanted to do this." Before Yoomi could ask any questions, he leaned in and the other side of her ice cream. 

Yoomi looked at her ice cream in shock. "Wha-, why did you-"

"You thought that I forgot about the bet didn't you? Well, I didn't so be prepared because I'll do a lot of things just to win," he said. "And make sure that you have life insurance because by the end of the day, your heart would beat so fast for me that you might just have a heart attack." He then started walking away while eating his ice cream, leaving a shocked Yoomi standing there.


 

And the skinship has begun. I really hope that Yoomi wouldn't have a heart attack because I still need her in the story. 

Anyways, I would really like to thank rosinate and beejello96, so thanks for upvoting~ :D I hope that you guys like the update, and also have a great weekend!