Failed Avoidance and Ice Cream

An Inventor's Mistake

“Song Yoomi,” he said. “You didn’t push me away. You didn’t stop me. Instead, you chose to accept me, so because of that…” His face came closer to hers again. “…you’re mine now.”

He gave her another smile before bringing his face even closer and kissing her again.

 

“Ahhhhh!” Yoomi screamed into her pillow. It was 11:30 in the morning and she had been lying there in bed while staring at the ceiling for 30 whole minutes – with the occasional screaming into the pillow in between – and thinking about what happened the other night.

Myungsoo’s confession, the twinkling jewel-like stars in the sky, his unique scent that drifted into her nose, his soft lips on hers… it happened so clearly in her mind, and it didn’t even take a person with an eidetic memory for it to be that clear. Any normal person with an average memory would be able to do the same since if something happened that recently and was as shocking as Myungsoo’s unexpected confession from the day before, they might even be able to remember everything from the very last detail.

“Why did I do that?” she asked herself. “Why did I kiss him back?” She stared blankly at the ceiling for a minute before breaking down. “Ah! I’m ruined!”

She rolled over to her stomach and buried her face into her pillow again, ready to let out another scream. The screams that she let out weren’t loud screams though – since she didn’t want Myungsoo to hear them and come into her room before she was ready to even face him. Nope, it was more like a very high-pitched type of scream that required for you to use the very tip of your throat but at the same time, let out a small amount of air that caused for a sound similar to the whistling of a boiling kettle to come out.

That, including the pillow’s ability to muffle the sound, lets her scream just enough to satisfy herself and it’s a win-win situation since she could let out her frustration from screaming and not have Myungsoo barge into the room thinking that some blood-thirsty murderer was in there.

“How am I going to face him now?” she said when she stopped screaming into her pillow and regained her senses. She then let out a groan. “I’ll just not go out. I’ll just put up the ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign that lets him know that I’m in the middle of inventing, or at least let him think that I’m inventing even if I’m not.”

She thought about it for a moment before nodding and thinking that it was quite a clever plan. “Yes, I’ll do that. This is a good idea. I’ll get to stay in my room all day long without having to face Myungsoo and also avoid any awkward situations between us… for now.”

She smiled to herself and was about to go out and put up the sign when her stomach let out a small grumble. She then stopped and looked at her stomach with a surprised expression. “Stomach, please don’t be like this right now. Can’t you at last least wait till the afternoon to growl?”

As if to say no, her stomach let out another low rumbling sound. Yoomi frowned before sighing. “Fine, I’ll sneak out to feed you, but if I get caught then… wait a minute. Why am I talking to my stomach?” she asked out loud. She then furrowed her eyebrows before shaking her head. “There’s no time to be talking to my stomach now. I need to quickly go to the kitchen and get some food and then come back before Myungsoo sees me.”

She then went over to the door and slightly opened it before poking her head out. She peeked at the hallway and slowly went out after confirming that Myungsoo wasn’t there. She looked over at Myungsoo’s room and saw that the door was closed, but even after seeing that, she still didn’t take any chances and ended up cautiously tip-toeing over to the staircase.

She then looked over the railing and down at the first floor to, again, see if he was there or not. When the coast was clear, she quietly tip-toed down the steps and did the same thing the whole way towards the kitchen. Finally, while standing in front of the refrigerator, she looked both ways to see if he would suddenly pop out of nowhere before reassuring that he wouldn’t, and then eagerly opened the door.

“Wah… food,” she said in a happy, yet quiet voice.

She started rummaging through the refrigerator to see if there was anything that she could bring up to her room, and after seeing that there wasn’t, she went over to the cabinets and rummaged some more. A few minutes passed, and she finally settled with 14 bags of chips that she planned to survive on for the rest of the day.

“Alright, now I only need to bring these up…” she muttered.

She picked up all of the bags of chips – slowly, since the bags that the chips were in made a pretty loud noise when touched and she didn’t want Myungsoo to hear it if he was near – and placed them all in her arms while hugging them to her chest. She turned around, but then saw something that made her drop all of the chips onto the floor and let out a small scream out of surprise.

“M-Myungsoo,” she said.

Myungsoo crossed his arms and looked at her with narrowed eyes. “What are you doing?” he asked.

“U-Um… I was going to b-bring these chips up to my room… since I was hungry,” she replied.

“Why are you eating chips to satisfy your hunger?” he asked. “The Yoomi that I know would make breakfast for herself and call me over to eat with her, rather than haul up bags of chips to her room for her to enjoy alone.” He then looked at her suspiciously. “Are you perhaps… trying to avoid me?”

Yoomi widened her eyes before shaking her head. “No, of course not!”

Myungsoo looked skeptical. “Really?”

She nodded. “Yeah…”

He stared at her for a moment before walking over to her – stepping over and pushing away some bags of chips that were in the way with his feet while doing so. This caused for her to back up until she reached the counter, preventing her from backing up any farther.

“Yoomi…”

He placed both of his hands next to her, trapping her in between his arms, before bringing his face closer.

“W-What are you doing?” she asked with wide eyes.

He didn’t answer and only brought his face even closer. She then shut her eyes as his face was only inches away and as a minute passed with nothing happening, she slowly opened her eyes and saw him chuckling at her.

“Idiot,” he said as he lightly flicked her forehead and stuck his tongue out at her. He then straightened up and said, “Go pick up all of the bags of chips on the floor and put them back. I’m not planning on eating alone, so you are not going to bring any of those chips up to your room and eat them alone without me.”

Yoomi was still blushing from what just happened before pouting at the realization that her plan to stay in her room all day had already come to a fail. “Fine…” she muttered. She then went over to the bags of chips and started picking them up.

“And as you do that…” He went over to an apron and picked it up before tying it around his waist. “…I will do the cooking.”

She stopped what she was doing and looked over at him. “You? Cooking?” she asked. He nodded in reply. Her face scrunched up. “Why do I feel so uneasy about this?”

“Well, don’t,” he said. “I’ve done this before. I’ve always cooked for myself when I was the only one living in this house and I can still do so now. So don’t worry, everything is going to be fine. It’s not like I’m going to burn down the house or something.”

“Don’t jinx it.”

“I’m not.” He went over and started shooing her into the living room. “Now go somewhere else and wait for me to finish cooking. I promise that it would be the best meal that you are ever going to eat.” He then flashed a confident smile at her before going back into the kitchen, planning to fulfill his promise.


 

And… it failed. Well, Myungsoo thought that it failed. He didn’t think that the food he made tasted that great compared to Yoomi’s cooking, but maybe that was just him. Maybe Yoomi thought differently and actually liked it.

He then cleared his throat. “So… how was my cooking?” he asked nervously.

They were now outside on a walk together after finishing their lunch.

“Hmm…” She looked over at him. “Can I be honest?”

“Sure,” he said, but with uneasiness in his voice.

“Well…” she started. He held his breath while waiting for her answer. “…it was actually good,” she finally said. “I never expected you to be a decent cook, Myungsoo. Good job.”

She teasingly patted him on the back, which made him scoff but also be relieved at the same time. “Thanks, but I always knew that my cooking was pretty good,” he said.

“Pretty good?” she questioned. “I only said that it was decent, but I don’t know if it was good enough to be ‘pretty good.’”

He could hear the joking tone in her voice as she said that and he decided to play along. “Yeah, my cooking isn’t just ‘pretty good,’” he said. “It’s actually out of this world amazing.”

She heard how narcissistic he sounded and had to prevent herself from rolling her eyes, but a smile formed instead. “Then Myungsoo, the creator of the out of the world amazing food that we just ate…” she said. “…since your food tastes so good then how about cooking every day?”

He thought about it before nodding. “Sure, I guess that I can cook every day if you want me to,” he answered.

“Really?” she said in surprise. She then saw him nodding and said with a hint of happiness in her voice, “So, this means that I don’t have to cook anymore?”

 He nodded again. “Yeah, you don- wait a minute.” He stopped and thought about what she just said. “If you don’t cook anymore then that means that I won’t be able to taste your cooking every day, which also means that it could turn into a rare occasion when you will actually cook and instead, we would have to eat my average cooking every day rather than your superior one.”

She held back a laugh after hearing him call her cooking the ‘superior one’ and call his own cooking ‘average.’ “So you finally got back to your senses and notice that your cooking isn’t ‘out of this world amazing?’”

He paused for a moment before looking at her and nodding with a blank expression.

“So are you going to cook everyday or should I cook every day?”

“You…” he said after a minute of silence.

Yoomi saw the funny look on his face and finally laughed this time since she couldn’t hold it back. “Ahaha, your blank expression is too funny,” she said while laughing.

He continued staring at her blankly, but with a confused expression this time. He didn’t understand why she was laughing at all and didn’t know if his face was really that funny or not. After a few minutes, her laughter died down, but what completely made her stop was a sign that caught her eye.

“Oh, that café is having a discount on ice cream today,” she said as she pointed at a sign.

Myungsoo turned around and also read the sign. “I guess they are,” he said, slowly regaining back his senses.

She turned to him excitedly and then grabbed his arm. “Then let’s go inside!”

Without knowing exactly what happened, Myungsoo found himself already sitting at a table inside the café while Yoomi sat across from him. The waitress came and gave them the menu. “Would you like to order now or order later?” the waitress asked.

“I think that we can just order now,” Yoomi said.

The waitress took out her pen and paper after nodding. “Then what would you like to order?”

“I think I would like this one.” Yoomi pointed at the menu as she told the waitress her order.

The waitress scribbled it down onto her paper before asking, “Are you going to eat it together since the ice cream is pretty big?”

Yoomi looked over at Myungsoo. “Do you want to eat it with me?” she asked him.

He thought about it before nodding. “Sure,” he replied.

“Okay, anything else?” the waitress questioned.

They both shook their heads and a few minutes after, the same waitress came back with the ice cream that they ordered.

“Woah…” Yoomi said as she saw the bowl of ice cream. It was indeed big like the waitress had said with the bowl being almost twice as big as her face and the ice cream scoops piling high up above the bowl with toppings here and there.

“Yoomi…” Myungsoo started. “We just ate our lunch before coming here and now you want me to help you eat this?”

She pouted at his question. “You’re not going to eat it with me?” she asked back. “I won’t even be able to finish this by myself so I need your help to finish it. I’ll also pay for it so it’ll be like eating for free.”

“You’ll pay?” he questioned with a raised eyebrow.

Yoomi nodded. “Yup,” she answered. “You cleared my debt anyway so this is can be a small way to repay you.”

“Repay me?” he repeated in a question. He then leaned towards her and rested his elbows on the table with a smirk on his face. “I think that there’s a better way to repay me other than free ice cream.”

She looked at him with a puzzled expression. “What is it?”

He continued smirking at her. “A kiss,” he answered.

She widened her eyes at his answer. “W-What?”

“You heard me; a kiss,” he repeated. “We already kissed yesterday so it would be no big deal to kiss again.”

She blushed a crimson red as fell agape. She then looked both ways to see if anyone heard their conversation before looking back at him. “Why are you saying that out in public? It’s embarrassing,” she said in a quiet voice.

“Why is it embarrassing?” he asked back. “It’s not like we’re strangers or anything. You accepted me yesterday so we’re now an official couple.”

She froze after hearing his statement and stared at him with an unreadable expression. This caused for him to feel uneasy as he furrowed his eyebrows. “We are a couple, right?” he asked again. “Yesterday, I said that if you let me kiss you then you have accepted me, and in the end you even kissed me back. That means that you also like me, right?”

Yoomi didn’t know what to say as she sat there, staring at the ice cream to avoid looking into his eyes. The day before when Myungsoo confessed to her, besides from the feeling of shock and surprise, there were also feelings of happiness and joy mixed into the bunch. Not only that but the feeling when she kissed him also gave her an idea of how she truly felt towards him and now, after noticing all of those feelings, she finally knew that if she answered with a ‘no’ then she would be downright lying.

“Yes,” she answered. “I… guess I do have feelings for you.”

She blushed after saying what she said while he brightly smiled like it was the best day of his life. “What?” he asked. “Sorry, but I didn’t hear you.” He teasingly cupped his ear while hopefully waiting for her to repeat what she said.

She then bit her lip as the blush became a darker shade of red. “Aish, forget it,” she said. She ignored his question as she brought her spoon into the ice cream and started eating.

“W-Wait, you’re not going to repeat your answer?”

She shook her head as she continued eating. He then looked at her in disbelief after her response. “But this is where you’re usually supposed to say ‘Oppa, I like you. I like you more than this whole world!’” he said with the last part being a higher pitch to resemble a female voice.

“What kind of girl would say that these days and do you really think that I would just all of a sudden call you oppa after we become a couple?” she asked. “Well dream on ahjussi, since I still won’t call you that.” She jokingly stuck her tongue out at him before continuing to eat.

She then looked back at him and noticed a glint in his eyes. “What?” she said.

“You said that we became a couple, so this means that you’re officially my girlfriend and I’m officially your boyfriend,” he answered.

She stopped eating for a moment. “I… guess.”

He then smiled after hearing her acknowledge their relationship. “Then you really are mine,” he said.

She was a little shocked by his statement, but then quickly regained her composure. “Pft, yeah right,” she said. “You’re talking crazy. I still own myself.”

After saying that, she started eating again. “Psh, he keeps saying that I’m his when I still own myself. I don’t even know what I got myself into. Why did I get a boyfriend that keeps claiming me as his? Pft, he’s so weird,” she muttered while nervously bringing the scoops of ice cream into .

Myungsoo let out a small chuckle when he heard her muttering that to herself before noticing the small stain of ice cream around her lips. “Yoomi, there’s a…” He slightly pointed at his own mouth to indicate that there was something on .

She looked at him with a confused look. “What?” she asked.

“Never mind, I’ll do it for you.”

“What do you mean that you’ll do it for-“

She stopped midsentence when she suddenly felt his lips onto hers. Her eyes then widened as he lingered there for a few seconds before pulling back and sitting back in his seat. “W-What… just happened?” she asked.

He held up two fingers to make a peace sign while a kitten like smile formed onto his face. “Our second kiss,” he answered.

She blushed madly and shot him a glare. “Don’t do that out in public,” she said.

“Well, I was being nice and was trying to get rid of the ice cream stain around your lips.”

“But you didn’t get the stain off at all. The ice cream is still there.” She then took a napkin and wiped , causing for that part of the napkin to be stained with the ice cream instead. “See.”

Myungsoo looked at the napkin before shrugging. “I don’t care. I’m just happy that I got to kiss you.” He stuck his tongue out at her which caused for her to make a face at him.

“You’re becoming a complete wolf,” she said. “Remember when you said, “’No, I’m not like that… Most men are like wolves, but there are men who are definitely not like that. For example, me.’”

He furrowed his eyebrows at what she said. “Hmm… I guess I really did say that.” He thought about it for a moment before shrugging again. “Oh well.”

“Oh well?” she repeated with a raised eyebrow. “You prevented me from gaining a friend that day when we were phone shopping, and all you can say is oh well?”

“But that guy was hitting on you,” he retorted. “He was hitting on you and you didn’t notice it because of how dense you are. So of course I had to step in and protect you.”

“He was not hitting on me.”

“He was too!” Myungsoo then crossed his arms. “But that happened when we weren’t a couple yet and was just friends, but now that you’re my girlfriend and all…” He made a fist and started hitting it against his palm as a way to indicate a ‘beat up.’ “…I would not hesitate to knock anybody out if they even think about hitting on you.”

Yoomi held back a laugh after seeing how he suddenly became a ‘protective boyfriend’ towards her. “So this is what it’s like to have a boyfriend that’s protective of you,” she said while nodding her head. “I guess it’s pretty nice since I feel loved.”

He smiled at what she said before saying, “That’s because you are loved.”

That sentence caused for her to blush again and look away out of embarrassment. “A-Are you going to help me finish this ice cream or not?” she asked, trying to change the topic.

Myungsoo chuckled while seeing her embarrassed state. He thought that it was out of this world cute even though to him, everything she did was cute in his eyes. “But you already finished half of it,” he said. “Wow, my Yoom-yoom sure eats a lot.”

“Yoom-yoom?”

He nodded. “Yeah, Yoom-yoom,” he repeated. “I’m thinking about giving you a nickname since we’re dating now.” He then looked at the ceiling while deep in thought. “Hmm… how about being traditional and just using babe or baby.”

She scrunched her face up and shook her head. “No, that makes me sound like a kid.”

“But in my eyes you’re as adorable as a kid, so why not?”

She shook her head again. “I don’t like it,” she said. “I like it when you just call me Yoomi.”

“Are you sure?” he asked. “Because I can give you a really cute nickname.”

She nodded. “Yeah, I’m sure,” she replied. “And while you call me Yoomi, I’ll call you ahjussi.”

He furrowed his eyebrows at her. “What? No! I don’t want to be called ahjussi; I want to be called oppa.”

“You’re still too old for me to call you oppa,” she said as she stuck her tongue out at him. A thought then came into her head and hit her with realization. “Wait, you’re 1,007 years older than me. That means that I’m dating a man that is 1,007 years older than me…”

After hearing what she said, Myungsoo also started remembering the huge between them. “Oh, I forgot that I was that much older than you,” he said.

Yoomi stared at him for a moment before saying, “Let’s break up.”

His eyes widened from shock as he straightened up in his seat. “What?! W-Why do you want to break up?! We only got together yesterday!” he said. He felt anxiety grow in him causing for him to not be able to control himself from talking, which also meant that he didn’t even spend a single second thinking about what he was going to say. Everything just started to spill out of his mouth without any control whatsoever.

“Do you know how hard it was for me to even confess to you? I was so close to having a heart attack and just thinking about you rejecting me almost made my heart shatter!”

Yoomi looked at him in surprise from his sudden outburst. “I was just-“

“Yoomi, I like you. I like you a lot. I just got you to be mine just yesterday and if you decide to leave me now then I don’t know what to do. You make me so happy just by being next to me and you’re the first person in my life that made me feel this way. It’s too early to break up when we’ve barely dated for 24 hours and I don’t know if I can-“

“Myungsoo!” she called.

He snapped out of his thoughts and looked at her. “I was just kidding,” she said. “So relax, I feel the same way about you too. I like you also, so of course I won’t break up with you.”

“You… won’t?”

She nodded and smiled at him reassuringly. “Nope, I won’t.”

He saw her usual eye-smile that he loved before letting out a sigh of relief. “Thank goodness, I really thought that you would break up with me. I thought that the world was crashing before my very eyes when you said that,” he said.

She laughed and said, “Well, I won’t break up with you, but even if I would then the world wouldn’t end or anything.”

“Well, it was figurative language,” he said.

“I can see that you’re still trying to be poetic,” she said while pointing at him with her spoon. “It’s still not working though, but thank you for trying.”

He scoffed at her, but a smile formed on his face in the end. “But…” He looked at her warily. “…why did you even say ‘let’s break up’ all of a sudden?” he asked.

“It was supposed to be a joke since I was going to talk more about the huge and make fun of you after saying that, but I guess it wasn’t really funny at all, huh?” she said, sheepishly.

“Nope, it wasn’t. I really didn’t think that it was a joke, so my heart almost shattered to pieces at that very moment,” he said. “And for the … well… age doesn’t matter when it comes to love. We could be millions of years apart in age and I still wouldn’t care. As long I love you then nothing matters, not even if you’re a weird inventor that keeps getting me into near death situations that might cause me to be traumatized for the rest of my life.”

She let out a small laugh after hearing what he said. “Myungsoo, stop being so cheesy,” she said. “And also, you were also a reason for your own near death experiences. I’m not the only one to blame.”

“Sure, sure, whatever you say,” he said. “But I’ll let it completely slide if you kiss me again; on the lips. And you have to initiate it this time.”

He smirked at her as she blushed. “You know what, it was actually all my fault; it was completely my fault,” she said. “I’ll take full blame and responsibility for what I’ve done.”

He frowned after seeing her attempt of avoiding her ‘give him a kiss’ punishment. “Then if you want to take full responsibility for it, you have to go through your punishment,” he said. “Which is to initiate a kiss towards me on the lips.”

He saw her shake her head without skipping-a-beat. “No, I’m good,” she said. “Now that I think about it, I shouldn’t have to take responsibility for it. It was all your fault that you almost died from my inventions anyway.”

She stuck her tongue out at him before standing up and dashing over to the counter to pay for the ice cream. “Yah, Song Yoomi!” he called. “I won’t let you go until you go through your punishment!” He then looked at the bowl of ice cream that was now cleared with barely an inch of ice cream left. “She finished it all by herself. What was the point of telling me to help her finish it in the first place?”

After asking himself that, he then looked up to see Yoomi nowhere in sight. “Where did she go?” he asked no one in particular. He looked out the window and saw the girl in question waving at him while doing a ‘mehrong’ expression before running away.

“Y-Yah! Song Yoomi!” he shouted.

He then quickly got up from his chair before sprinting out of the café to catch up to her.


 

So this is the first chapter after they finally become a real couple. I hope that you guys liked the interaction between them now that the relationship status has changed. Also, I'm very sorry for updating so late. These days I have been a little busy so I hope that you guys can understand.

Anyways, enough about me and back to the happy couple. I guess that the only nicknames that might ever be used between them is 'ahjussi,' but who knows. It might change in the future.XD