Jeju

An Inventor's Mistake

“Do you have everything?” Myungsoo asked.

Yoomi patted her light blue suitcase. “Yup,” she said with a smile. “But I still don’t understand why you insisted on getting me this suitcase. I told you that I could make one myself.”

“And that is exactly why I bought you that. I can’t risk having one of your inventions to possibly kill one of our classmates,” he reasoned.

Yoomi pouted. “But it’s just a suitcase. I won’t kill anyone by making a suitcase.”

“Well, I already bought you one so just use it,” he said. Truthfully, he knew that a suitcase would be the least likely thing that would kill anyone and knew that she was completely capable of making one. But when he saw the suitcase on display when he passed by a store, he couldn’t help but feel like he should buy it for her. So he bought it and he knew that it was a good thing too since she looked pretty happy when she received it. She had on a big smile on her face and said thank you many times which also made him smile.

They were at the airport, waiting for the plane to arrive. Everybody else was wandering around, exploring or buying stuff. They left their suitcase with the teacher, who Yoomi knew was reading a romance book no matter how hard he tried to hide it, and left to ‘explore’ as Yoomi likes to call it.

“Woah, the airport here is so different.” She looked around in fascination, looking at every single small detail that was there. “I miss the robots that worked here. They were so cool; they even made animal balloons for you.”

“Robots? Animal balloons?” His eyebrows furrowed by the things that she mentioned. “Aren’t you guys afraid of robots taking over the Earth or something? If they even worked here then who knows how many of them there are. They could even become an army and try to annihilate all humans.” His expression turned from confused to serious in an instant.

“No, it’s totally fine. Robots can’t be any smarter than a human. We made them; they can only be as smart as us. So if they do try to take over the Earth like you said then we can always think our way through it and take it down… hopefully.”

“Hopefully? That’s not very reassuring when we’re talking about robots taking over the Earth,” he said. “And if they can only be as smart as a human then that means that they can also be as smart as you, and you’re a genius. If one genius creates an evil robot then we’re all doomed.”

“Don’t worry, if that happens then I will try to use my genius abilities to stop them,” she said. “Unless of course…” She started to smirk. “I become the person who makes the robot.”

 An evil smile spread across her face which made Myungsoo look at her in terror. “I knew it! I knew something was up when you almost killed me three times! ” he yelled as he pointed at her accusingly.

Yoomi burst out in laughter at his reaction. “Hahaha, Myungsoo, I was just joking.” She was having difficulty talking from laughing so hard.

Myungsoo put his hand down. “So you’re not evil?” he asked cautiously.

Yoomi shook her head. “Of course I’m not evil. Wait, actually, some people say that we are all evil in some way, but I’m not going to go too into it. I’m going to leave it to the experts to research all of that stuff.”

Myungsoo blinked. “So you’re not evil right?” he asked again.

Yoomi shook her head and smiled. She then noticed a noodle restaurant and felt her stomach grumble. “Myungsoo, let’s go in there!” She excitedly ran over to the restaurant while imagining how delicious the noodles would be.

Myungsoo watched her run towards the noodle shop. “Hey! You didn’t answer my question clear enough! I’m still not sure if you’re evil or not!” He ran over to her and saw that she was already in line.

When she saw him, she pulled him into the line with her. “I did some research before coming here and it said that this place sells really good food.” She then turned back to the front and read the menu to know what to order before they reach the front.

“Oh, you!”

They heard somebody say loudly, and turned towards the person. Yoomi’s eyes widened in realization as she instantly recognized who the person was. “Oh, aren’t you the person who I almost tricked into thinking that there was a competition in the park?” she said as she pointed at him.

The boy nodded and smiled. “Yeah, that’s me,” he answered. “And your name is Song Yoomi right?”

Yoomi smiled and also nodded. “Yup, that’s me.” The line then moved up and she saw that she was up next. “Oh, sorry, I have to go order.” She turned around and went up to tell the employee her order.

Myungsoo looked at the boy one last time before also going up to order. *I don’t like him,* he thought in his head. *At least we won’t see him often.*

After they ordered, and Yoomi actually paid this time thanks to halmeoni’s early pay for their trip, they went to a table and sat down. “I’m so excited!” Yoomi jumped in her seat as her way of letting out all of her energy.

Myungsoo chuckled. “Are you that excited to go to Jeju?” he asked with a smile on his face.

She frantically nodded. “Of course!” she replied. “I’ve always wanted to go to Jeju, so I’m very happy that I get to go now!”

Myungsoo smiled as he watched her. *She’s so cute,* he thought. His smiled instantly fell when he heard a voice.

“Hey,” the boy from before said. “Mind if I sit here?”

*Yes,* Myungsoo thought as he rolled his eyes. Before he could say anything, Yoomi already spoke up.

She shook her head and smiled. “No, not at all.”

Myungsoo saw that he was about to sit next to her and quickly scooted over. “Wait, you can sit here.” He patted the seat next to him and forced out a friendly smile.

The boy hesitated a bit before sitting next to him. “Well, it’s nice to see you again,” he said as he sat down.

“You too,” she replied. “But is it okay if I ask for your name? I didn’t ask you before,” she said sheepishly.

“No, it’s okay.” The boy smiled before putting out his hand. “My name is Gikwang, Lee Gikwang.”

Yoomi took his hand and shook it. “It’s nice to finally know your name,” she said. “It’s a really nice name by the way.”

“Really? I guess I should thank my parents for naming me that then,” he said playfully.

*Wait,* Myungsoo thought. *She never complimented my name before, so why did she compliment his?* His mood became even worst and it didn’t help that he was completely ignored the entire meal. He stabbed his bowl of noodles as he watched them laughing with each other. *Heol, I’m her best friend yet she’s not even talking with me!* He glared at Gikwang, but Gikwang didn’t even notice it and kept laughing along with Yoomi.

When Yoomi was finally done eating, Myungsoo saw the chance to take her away from Gikwang. “Oh, look at the time. We’re supposed to be back 10 minutes before the plane arrives, so let’s go.”

Gikwang got up so that Myungsoo could go through. “Then I’ll come with you guys. We’re going on the same trip after all,” Gikwang said.

“No thanks,” Myungsoo replied. “We’re also going to go look for our other friends before we go to the meeting place. Come on Yoomi.” He then walked out of the place and waited for Yoomi by the entrance.

Yoomi pouted. “Aww, it’s too bad you can’t come with us,” she said sadly.

“But I can if you guys will let me,” he insisted.

Yoomi shook her head. “No, don’t because before we went separate ways with the rest of the group, they said that they would go to all of these places that are really far apart so it would take really long and I don’t want you to be late because of us.”

“But how do you know that those places are really far apart?” he asked.

Yoomi didn’t know how to answer. *Should I say that I remembered the map of this building?* she asked herself. *No, I shouldn’t. If I do then he would keep asking questions and Myungsoo is really impatient so I don’t want to make him wait.* “I just do,” she replied. She then waved and said, “Goodbye. It was nice meeting you.” She gave him another smile before going towards Myungsoo.

“The same thing happened last time,” Gikwang said to himself as he watched the both of them leave. “And when I finally get a chance to talk to her, she still has to go back to that guy.” He sighed in disappointment and also left the restaurant.


 

“Aww, we’re not sitting near each other.” Sungyeol pouted and stomped his foot. “Why aren’t we in the same class?” he said sadly.

“None of us are in the same class except for Myungsoo and Yoomi,” Sunggyu said. “And Dongwoo and Woohyun of course.”

Dongwoo and Woohyun high fived each other. “And we’re sitting next to each other,” Woohyun said happily.

Yoomi looked at her ticket and looked at Myungsoo’s ticket. She happily smiled when she saw that they were sitting together. “Myungsoo, we’re seatmates!” She smiled and waved her ticket in front of her.

Myungsoo also smiled. “It seems like somebody fell for my charms to be so happy to sit next to me,” he teased.

Yoomi’s face scrunched up. “Psh, as arrogant as ever, ahjussi.” She stuck her tongue out at him before quickly running into the passageway towards the airplane.

Myungsoo widened his eyes. “She’s still calling me ahjussi?!” He scoffed in disbelief as he watched her run away. “Yah, Song Yoomi!” He then ran after her and was already planning for revenge.

“Aigoo those two,” Sunggyu said as he shook his head. “So childish.”

“But why can’t I switch seats with you!” Sungyeol whined as he stomped his feet. “I don’t want to sit next to that hamster!”

“Sorry, but neither do I,” Hoya said before he started towards the passageway.

Woohyun put a hand on Sungyeol’s shoulder. “Too bad, maybe next time you will get luckier,” he said before also going towards the passageway.

Dongwoo did a hwaiting sign. “Good luck, don’t let that old grump get to you.” He smiled at Sungyeol before he also left.

Sungjong also went up to him. “Just listen to music when he complains or nags,” he advised before going after the others.

Sungyeol huffed. “It’s not fair! Why do I always get stuck with him?! We even share a room for this entire trip!” He kicked at the floor in anger as he thought about sharing a room with Sunggyu.

“Hey partner,” Sunggyu said as he put his arm around his shoulder. “Remember when you called me a hamster not too long ago?”

Sungyeol looked at Sunggyu and saw that he had on an evil smile. He then gulped as they started towards the passageway together.


 

“Let me help you with that.” Myungsoo already put his suitcase in the compartment and was about to lift Yoomi’s suitcase up to the compartment, but she stopped him.

“No, it’s okay. I can do it myself.” She then easily lifted it and slid it into the compartment. “See, I could do it by myself.” She smiled at him before sitting down at the window seat.

Myungsoo pouted. *But the guy is always suppose to help the girl,* he thought. *Great Kim Myungsoo, you let her compliment you first during the date and you let her put her own suitcase in the compartment?! What a man you are.* He let out a sigh as he sat in his seat next to her.

Yoomi looked over at him and saw the frown on his face. “Why do you look so sad? We’re going to Jeju; you’re supposed to be smiling.”

“I don’t feel like smiling,” he said with a grumpy expression.

“Stop frowning…” She used her fingers to push the corners of his mouth up. “You’re handsomer when you smile.” She smiled at him and it made him blush.

He then quickly swatted her hands away and sat up straight. “Who taught you to say that?” he said as he tried to calm his beating heart.

“You did,” she replied. “You said that to me when I got fired from my first part time job. It helped me feel better and it seems like it helped you too.”

“No it didn’t.”

“But you’re smiling.” She grinned and pointed a finger at him.

“No I’m not.”

“Yes you are.”

“Stop pointing at me.”

“Why should I?”

“Or I’ll bite it.” He pretended like he was going to bite her finger and she quickly pulled it away and smiled.

“See, it did help. You’re even playing around now,” she said.

“Well, I guess it did, but…” He looked at her with an evil smile and quickly attacked with tickles.

She squealed when she felt him tickling her. “Stop… Myungsoo...” She tried her best to prevent herself from laughing since they were on a plane and tried to push his hands away.

He stopped after a whole minute of tickling her. “And that’s how the master plays around,” he said with a victorious smile.

“You’re mean,” she said while panting. “Remind me next time to prevent you from feeling playful.”

“But how are you going to do that?” he said as he leaned in closer. “I’m a really playful guy you know?” He smirked and she blushed by how close they were.

She knew that he was teasing her and pushed him away. “Yeah, you’re a really playful ahjussi.” She stuck her tongue out at him and knew that she got him this time. *Calling him an ahjussi always works,* she thought with an evil laugh in her mind.

Myungsoo narrowed his eyes. “Ahjussi?!” he said in disbelief. “I told you to call me oppa.”

“But I won’t since you’re too old,” she teased.

Myungsoo was about to say something when he felt a presence sit next to him. “Nice seeing you guys again.” Myungsoo turned towards the person and saw that it was Gikwang.

“Gikwang!” Yoomi said happily. “You’re sitting with us?”

Gikwang nodded. “I guess so,” he replied. “But wow was I lost; I wandered around the airport for so long that I almost missed the flight.”

Yoomi looked at him worriedly. “I should have let you come with us. We were also almost late, but we made it on time. It would have prevented you from getting lost.”

Gikwang chuckled. “No, it’s okay. I’m just happy that I got on before it took off.”

Myungsoo looked at Gikwang. *It’s this guy again. Why does he keep showing up?* Again he glared at Gikwang, but for some reason, Gikwang still didn’t notice it.

They continued to talk to each other, with Myungsoo trying to interrupt at all times of course, but halfway through the flight Yoomi’s head started to nod off. Myungsoo saw her head moving up and down again, trying to find something to lay on before finally going off into dreamland.

Myungsoo smiled and gently pushed her head to his shoulder. *If I didn’t know any better then I would have thought that she did this on purpose.* He smiled as he watched her sleep, but then he felt something on his other shoulder.

He looked to his right and saw Gikwang peacefully asleep and laying his head onto his other shoulder. Myungsoo looked at him in disbelief and scoffed. “Like I would let you have my shoulder,” he mumbled to himself. He pushed Gikwang’s head away multiple times with his finger, but it kept bouncing right back. When he couldn’t hold in his patience any longer, he looked around to see if anyone was looking and pushed Gikwang’s head away with all of his force.

Gikwang abruptly woke up from the impact, looked all around him in a daze, and then closed his eyes before returning to dreamland again. Luckily for Myungsoo, he leaned his head onto the back of his chair this time and not on Myungsoo’s shoulder.

*Gosh, this guy is so annoying!* he thought before turning back to Yoomi again.


 

“We’re finally here!” Yoomi said as she abandoned her suitcase to the side and jumped onto the bed. “I call this one,” she said to Myungsoo.

They were happy that they were finally there. After standing for who-knows-how-long in the lobby and listening to the teachers talking about the rules, they were relieved when they were finally able to go and have some freedom.

“I want the bed on the right. I always get the bed on the right.” He put his suitcase to the side and walked over to her. “Get off, I want that bed.”

Yoomi shook her head and continued lying there. “No, I like this bed and I’m laying on it first so I get it.” She stubbornly stayed where she was and wouldn’t move.

“Get off; it’s an unwritten rule that I always get the bed on the right.” He grabbed her ankles and tried pulling her off, but she hung onto the side of the bed.

“Never!” she yelled as she hung on like her life depended on it.

Myungsoo tried to pull her off with all of his strength, but ended up falling to the floor. “Fine! You have it then!” He gave up and jumped onto the other bed. He wasn’t going to waste any more energy to try to get that one.

Yoomi smiled happily and laughed as she rolled around the bed. “Woohoo! I beat Kim Myungsoo~ the ahjussi Kim Myungsoo~,” she sang.

“Ahjussi again!” he said as he sat up. “I told you to call me oppa.”

“But I’m not going to.” She sat up also and playfully stuck her tongue out at him.

“I’m letting this go just this once, but I expect you to call me oppa next time,” he said.

“Psh, dream on because I will never call you that~” She playfully smiled at him and stood up. She then took some money out of her pocket and handed it to him. “Here, it’s half of my paycheck.”

Myungsoo furrowed his eyebrows. “Why are you giving it to me?” he asked.

“Because I still owe you a lot of money,” she replied. She took his hand and laid the money onto his palm. “But I’m not giving you my whole salary just yet since I still need money for other stuff.”

“Like what?” he said as he stuffed it into his pocket.

“Like more materials or something,” she answered. She then looked outside and saw how beautiful the weather was. “Wow, the weather is so nice.” A smile grew on her face as she excitedly ran out to the balcony. She then looked at the scenery and saw the amazing view of the beach. “Myungsoo, come over here!” she said as she waved him over with her hand.

Myungsoo smiled when he saw how excited she was and walked over to her. “Wow, it’s really beautiful isn’t it,” he said while admiring the scenery. He looked over at her just in time when there was a light breeze coming by. The wind blew her hair perfectly back and made her look like an angel in his eyes. He felt his heart beating faster and faster, and he tried to calm it down.

“Yeah, it really is,” she replied as she turned towards him and gave him a smile.

Just from seeing that smile, his heart had almost stopped working. He could feel it skip-a-beat and he felt a weird feeling growing inside of him. He then looked away and cleared his throat. “So… are we going to go anywhere? I was planning on taking some pictures.”

“Then how about we just wander around see where we’ll end up?” she suggested. “I memorized all of the maps beforehand so we won’t have to worry about getting lost.”

Myungsoo nodded and smiled. “Alright then, let’s do that.” He walked back into the room and went through his suitcase to fine his camera. Yoomi closed the balcony door before following him back into the room. When he finally got his camera, he closed his suitcase and said, “Let’s go, my human GPS.”

She gave him a salute. “Aye aye Captain!” she said before walking out of the door.

Myungsoo chuckled at her cuteness. “She’s just too cute.” The smile stayed on his face and he started towards the door. But before he could turn the doorknob, the door abruptly opened and Yoomi came running right back in.

“Sorry, I forgot to bring my backpack.” She went to her suitcase and took out her backpack before putting it on.

“Yah, don’t scare me like that!” Myungsoo held one hand to his heart, trying to recover from the shock that he just had.

“Oh, did I scare you?” She had on a sorry expression.

“Yeah,” he said. He took his hand off of his heart when he felt calm again. “Why do you even need a backpack anyway? I thought that you didn’t have that much stuff to bring.”

“Of course I don’t,” she replied. “But my wallet and phone is really big and they won’t fit in my pocket.”

“But that’s your school backpack,” he said as he looked at it. “Why didn’t you ask me to buy you another backpack to bring with you onto this trip?”

“It’s because this trip isn’t even that long and I don’t want you to waste even more money on me,” she answered.

*But I don’t think that it’s a waste though,* he thought.

“But anyway, let’s go! I heard that the sightseeing places here are awesome!” She excitedly pulled him out of the room before letting go of his arm and running towards the elevator.

“Yah, wait for me!” He smiled as he ran over to her. 


 

Yay! We're finally in Jeju! XD

I hoped that you liked it. I really don't know if it was good or not.^^