Making Friends

An Inventor's Mistake

Myungsoo and Yoomi got their lunch and Myungsoo brought her over to his regular table where he and his friends always sit at. "Wah, are they your friends?" Yoomi asked excitedly.

"Yeah, and I'm going to introduce you to them so act normal and don't say anything about being a time traveler," Myungsoo said as he pushed her over to the table.

One of his friends noticed them and perked up. "Oh Myungsoo, you're finally here!" one of them said.

"Sorry I was late, I was just showing Yoomi around since she's a new student," Myungsoo said. "Guys this is Yoomi, and Yoomi, that's Sungyeol, Sungjong, Sunggyu, Woohyun, Hoya, and Dongwoo." Myungsoo pointed to each one of them as he said their names. All of them waved and said hi to Yoomi.

"Hi," Yoomi replied as she waved back. "It's very nice to meet you." Yoomi tried to be polite and bowed.

"Oh, there's no need to bow to us," Sunggyu said as he chuckled. "We're all the same age after all."

"Yeah," Yoomi said as she let out an uneasy laugh. "We're definitely the same age. It's not like I'm 1,007 years younger than you guys or anything."

Myungsoo face-palmed himself as he saw Yoomi's horrible acting. "Yeah, haha, of course not," Myungsoo said with a smile. "I wonder why she even said that." Myungsoo looked over at Yoomi and gave her a look to stop talking.

"Well, I guess she just loves to exaggerate," Sungjong said with a friendly smile to Yoomi. "You should sit, it would be hard to eat while standing especially if you are holding a tray."

Myungsoo and Yoomi sat down at the seat nearest to them. "So Yoomi, what's your relationship with Myungsoo?" Sungjong asked.

"I'm his acquaintance," Yoomi replied.

"Just acquaintances, nothing more than that?" Sungjong asked suspiciously.

"Yup," Yoomi replied assured of her answer.

"Weird, Myungsoo never invites a girl over to our table, but he invites Yoomi even though they are just acquaintances," Sungjong mumbled to himself. Myungsoo caught what he said and quickly replied, "No, we're close friends." "But we just-" Yoomi stopped mid-sentence when she saw Myungsoo give her the look. "Yeah, we're close friends, very close friends," Yoomi said nervously.

"Okay.... weird," Sunggyu said as he gave them a weird look. "Anyways, what's your hobby Yoomi?" Sunggyu looked at Yoomi and gave her a smile.

"Oh, I like to invent things," Yoomi replied.

"Inventing, wow, I've never knew that there was anything more to invent," Dongwoo said. "I thought that everything was already invented."

"Yeah, well, there are a lot of things that haven't been invented in this time. When I came here, I saw-mph," Myungsoo quickly covered Yoomi's mouth so that she wouldn't say anything else. "Yeah, she just like to make things. She makes really random stuff so it's not really that interesting," Myungsoo said with his hand still on Yoomi's mouth. "Stop talking about things involving the future," Myungsoo whispered so that only Yoomi could hear. She nodded and he took his hand off from .

Everybody else sitting at the table gave them weird looks. "Alright, so what's another one of your hobbies?" Woohyun asked.

"Umm, I like to tell jokes," Yoomi replied.

"Really, I love jokes! Tell us one," Sungyeol said excitedly.

"Okay, umm," Yoomi said as she thought of a joke. "So two random variables were talking in a restaurant. They thought they were being discrete, but I heard their chatter continuously." Yoomi looked completely amused by her own joke and was expecting everybody else to laugh at it, but she was only met with blank stares.

"Umm, how about another one?" Sungyeol suggested.

"Okay, so an infinite number of mathematicians walk into a cafe. The first one orders a coffee. The second orders half a coffee. The third orders a third of a coffee. Then the worker yells, 'Get out of here, are you trying to ruin me?!'" Yoomi was once again amused by her own joke, but everybody else still had blank stares. "You get it, because of the harmonic series." Yoomi tried to explain, but they were not responding.

"Then how about this one, what-" Yoomi was interrupted by the bell.

"Oh, it's the bell, don't want to be late," Woohyun said as he got up.

"Yeah, it was nice meeting you Yoomi, I guess we'll see you later," Sunggyu said as he smiled. All of them said their good-byes to Yoomi and went to class.

"Was it something that I did? Why are they all leaving in a hurry?" Yoomi asked Myungsoo.

"No you didn't do anything wrong and don't worry, my friends like you. They just didn't want to be scolded by the teacher for being late again," Myungsoo replied reassuringly. Yoomi and Myungsoo walked back to class and a very long and boring lecture began.


"Finally, school's over," Yoomi said as she stretched.

"Yoomi, I'm going to the bathroom for a little bit. Wait for me here, alright," Myungsoo said as he got up.

"Alright," Yoomi replied as she saw Myungsoo walk away. She was already finished packing and was bored. She looked over and saw a few girls that were still in the classroom. *Okay Yoomi, you can do this. You're finally at a school where, technically, everybody is about the same age as you. Now all we have to do is to go over there and make some friends* Yoomi thought determinedly. Yoomi got up and walked over to two girls that were talking with each other.

"Hi," Yoomi greeted. The two girls looked over at Yoomi. "Hi," they greeted back.

"Oh, aren't you the new girl?" the one with short hair asked. "Yeah," Yoomi replied. There was an awkward silence. "So, what were you guys talking about?" Yoomi asked. "We were telling each other jokes," the one with long hair replied. "Oh, I love jokes. Do you want me to tell you one?" Yoomi asked eagerly. "Sure," the one with short hair asked. "What is the name of the first electricity detective?" Yoomi asked. "I don't know, what?" the one with the short hair replied.

"Sherlock Ohms," Yoomi said. Like usual, she was amused by her own joke. The two of them stared at her with weird looks on their faces. "You get it because an ohm is a measure of electrical resistance."

The two of them stared blankly at Yoomi until one of them spoke up. "No, we don't get it and it's not funny," the one with long hair said coldly. "Yah, you're being rude," the one with short hair said to the one with the long hair. "What, I'm just being honest. This girl is only another one of those nerds," the one with long hair said. "Come on, let's go. I don't want to be associated with people like her." The one with long hair flipped her hair and strutted out of the classroom. The short-haired one followed after her.

Yoomi felt heartbroken as she stood there alone. *I guess I was wrong. I won't even be able to make friends with people my age. Oh well, I'm already used to this* Yoomi thought as she went back to her seat dejectedly.

"YOOMI-AHHH~" somebody shouted. Before she knew it, somebody tackled her with a hug. "Yoomi, the class was so boring. I'm so glad it's over!" the person said as he let go of her. Yoomi was finally able to turn around and when she did, she saw Sungyeol standing there smiling at her. "Sungyeol?" she asked.

"Yeah, it's me Sungyeol. The one where you met at lunch," Sungyeol replied. "Sheesh, we just met and you already forgot about me?" Sungyeol said as he pouted.

"No, I didn't forget. I'm just surprised that you're here," Yoomi said still in shock.

"We said that we were going to see you later. So here we are," Sungyeol said as he smiled.

"We?" Yoomi asked.

"Sungyeol, how can you leave us like that?! We agreed that we would walk her home together!" Yoomi looked over at the door and saw Myungsoo's friends standing there. "Gosh, you couldn't even wait for us?" Sunggyu said. He walked over to her and gave her an apologetic smile. "Sorry if Sungyeol bothered you. He just really likes to tackle people a lot and if you want, you can tell me if he does bother you and I can lecture him about it."

"No, Yoomi don't complain about me to Sunggyu ever! He would break all of my bones and kill me!" Sungyeol said as he hid behind Yoomi.

"Guys what are you doing here?" Myungsoo said as he walked into the classroom.

"We were just going to walk Yoomi home," Hoya replied.

"You guys were going to walk her home?" Myungsoo asked. "You guys never even wait for me and yet, you're willing to come over here to our class and walk her home?"

"Sorry Myungsoo, but you're just not as important as her," Woohyun said apologetically as he put his hand on Myungsoo's shoulder.

"But we've been friends for years and you just met her today!" Myungsoo said.

"Oh, look at the time. It's getting late," Woohyun said as he looked at his wrist. "It's better if we go now." They pulled Yoomi with them, leaving Myungsoo in the classroom alone.

"Guys! You're just going to leaving without me!" Myungsoo yelled at their disappearing figures. "And you don't even have a watch!" Myungsoo said as he pointed at them accusingly. He then gathered his stuff quickly and ran after them.


Sorry if this chapter is all over the place. I was kind of hyper when I typed this. So did you guys like Yoomi's jokes? :)