Party

An Inventor's Mistake

“Why is the grocery list this time so long?” Yoomi asked herself as she threw a bag of carrots into her shopping cart. “Is he planning to feed a dinosaur or something?”

She mentally checked off the item on her list and continued to push the shopping cart, looking for the next item to buy. It was already the weekend, which should have meant a nice day off for relaxation, but nope. The whole day she had been doing chores for Myungsoo since he said that he felt sick and couldn’t do them.

She actually thought that it was weird that he suddenly said that he felt ‘sick’ since he looked perfectly fine the day before, but she still offered to do the chores since she wanted to do something for him while she was still there even if it was just simple chores.

Half an hour later, she finally finished finding everything on the list and was ready to go to the check out. But before doing that, she took out her phone and phoned Myungsoo since he told her to call him after she was done finding everything on the list.

“Hello?” he picked up.

“Myungsoo, I’m done with the grocery shopping,” she said.

“Really?” he said, his voice sounding surprised. “Wait, I mean…” He started coughing all of a sudden. “…really?” he said again, this time sounding weaker and hoarser.

“Yeah, I’m going to check out the items now.”  

“Actually, don’t check the items out. Now that I think about it, we didn’t need to get the groceries today.”

Her jaw dropped at the news. “What?”

“Yeah, I actually need you to do something else for me.”

“But what am I going to do with this cart full of stuff?”

“Just leave it there. Someone will probably put the stuff back later.”

Yoomi sighed and did as she was told. “Okay, I left it. Now what do you want me to do?”

“Go to the Han River, rent a bike, and bike around the place for two hours.”

She furrowed her eyebrows at the unexpected request. “What kind of chore is this?”

“It’s not a chore. It’s just… something that I want to do, but can’t do since I’m sick.” He started coughing again.

“So you want me to go and do it for you?”

“Yeah,” he replied. “Also take a lot of pictures of yourself.”

“And why should I do that?”

“Because… I want to see the scenery.”

“If you want to see the scenery then I can just take a picture of the scenery alone.”

“No, I don’t like that. I want you to be in them.”

“But I’ll block the scenery though.”

“No you won’t. You’re the most beautiful scenery out there. If you’re not in it then what’s the point of taking the picture.”

Yoomi blushed at his comment. “Y-Yah, stop being so cheesy Kim Myungsoo!”

He chuckled over the line. “You’re blushing aren’t you?” he questioned.

“N-No!”

“Song Yoomi, I know you enough to be able to tell that you’re lying right now.”

“Then I guess that you don’t know me enough since I’m definitely not blushing right now,” she lied as she childishly stuck her tongue out at her phone despite knowing that he couldn’t see it.

He chuckled again. “Whatever you say, but remember to take the pictures with you in them. I repeat, you have to be in the pictures.”

“Okay fine. I’ll go there now and ride the bike.”

“Okay, but also remember to ride for two hours. No less!”

“Alright,” she said before hanging up.

She then started heading out towards the Han River. “He’s so weird. Why is he telling me to ride a bike anyway?” she questioned.


 

“Guys, are you done yet?” Myungsoo asked.

“Almost, Sungyeol is still trying to move the dinosaur in,” Woohyun replied.

“Hey! Watch the tail! I spent a whole week with my art class making this for today!” Sungyeol yelled at Sunggyu.

“I know, I know,” Sunggyu said in reply.

They continued moving the 6 foot tall paper-mâché T-Rex into the living room of Myungsoo’s house and successfully brought it there without the tail falling off or breaking.

“Are you sure that she’ll like this?” Myungsoo asked Dongwoo.

“Of course she will,” he answered. “From all of the conversations that we had, I’m pretty sure that she also has a fascination for dinosaurs like I do.”

Myungsoo nodded his head in understanding when his phone suddenly made a sound. He then took his phone out and saw that Yoomi messaged him.

“I can’t believe that you sent me out biking on such a windy day. My hair is messed up now.”

He looked at the picture she sent along with the message and almost burst out in laughter. The picture contained her standing in front of the river with her hair flying all over her face, making her look like the long-haired ghosts you see in the horror movies.

“Wow, what a beautiful scenery,” he messaged back. He was about to place his phone back into his pocket when it vibrated again.

“I know that you’re being sarcastic.”

Myungsoo chuckled at her message and replied, “You caught me.”

“Yah Myungsoo!” Sungjong shouted at him.

Myungsoo looked up from his phone. “What?” he asked.

“Stop standing around texting and come help us decorate the living room.” He threw a roll of tape at him and Myungsoo successfully caught in.

“You’re helping us tape these things onto the walls,” Hoya said.

“Okay, I’ll be there in a minute,” Myungsoo replied. He then took one last glance at Yoomi’s recent picture and saved it into his phone after silently laughing for a second. “I’m saving this later for blackmail,” he said to himself.


 

“Are you already here?” Myungsoo asked her through the phone.

“Yes, I’m in front of the house,” Yoomi replied.

“Wait! Don’t come in yet!”

“Why not?”

“I… didn’t finish cleaning up the floor yet.”

She furrowed her eyebrows. “Did you spill something on the floor?” she asked.

“Yeah,” he replied. “I just spilled some… um… soda! And um… the soda will make the floor sticky if I don’t clean it up right now.”

“But you can clean it up while I come in,” she suggested. “It’s not like you spilled it right at the front door or something right?”

“It is!” he blurted out. “So… um… just give me 10 minutes to clean it up.”

“10 minutes?” she asked in surprise.

“Yeah… I pretty much spilled the entire can of soda by accident, so just give me 10 minutes to clean it up really quick and I’ll call you when I’m done. Don’t come in before I call you.”

She sighed before agreeing with him. “Okay,” she said. “I’ll wait out here until you finish cleaning it up.”

“Alright, I’ll go clean it up now. Bye!”

He hung up before she could even say ‘bye’ back to him. “He’s so weird these days,” she mumbled as she looked at her phone.

She then stood there waiting for him to call back, but after waiting for nearly 26 minutes with him not calling her or answering his phone, she decided that she should go inside from worry that something might have happened to him.

“It’s weird that he’s not picking up,” she said while walking towards the house.

She entered the house to find it brightly lit with some decorations hanging from the walls. There was also no soda spill at the front of the door which either meant that Myungsoo cleaned it up already and forgot to tell her, or something like that. She then heard some voices coming from the living room, but it was not just Myungsoo’s voice. She could also hear very familiar voices of 6 other guys.

“There, does it look okay now?”

“Okay? It looks horrible! I spent a whole week working on this thing and now its tail is broken!”

“C’mon, it looks fine.”

“Fine? If it was living during the time that dinosaurs roamed the Earth then it wouldn’t even survive for a day. It’ll just die from embarrassment from how messed up its tail looks like now!”

“Sungyeol, calm down. At least the tail is back on the dinosaur.”

“Of course you would say that since you’re the main reason that it fell off in the first place!”

“It wasn’t my fault! I just helped you move it.”

“I told you to be careful, but your weak elderly arms accidently bumped its tail into the wall!”

“Hey! I’m not an elder!”

“Gosh! Will you guys calm down! Yoomi will be here any min—wait a minute. I forgot to call her to give us more time.”

“Great Myungsoo, now she’ll probably walk in while we’re in the middle of argu—“

All of the conversations stopped when they noticed that the main person of this even was standing at the doorframe, staring at them. None of them talked for a second when suddenly they all started shouting ‘surprise’ in a rather questioning and unsure tone.

“What are you guys doing?” she asked them. Her eyes then wandered over to the clearly paper-mâchéd T-Rex standing next to them. “And is that a dinosaur?”

“Yup, it’s a dinosaur that I have worked really hard on with my classmates for this very event, but somebody just had to ruin it,” Sungyeol said, looking over at Sunggyu.

Sunggyu let out a breath of annoyance at his accusation. “I said that it wasn’t my fault!”

“Guys, do we really have to do this when Yoomi is here right now?” Hoya asked.

“Yeah, we’re supposed to be throwing a party for her,” Dongwoo added in.

Sungyeol took a deep breath before slowly trying to calm himself. “You’re right. We’re supposed to be partying with Yoomi right now so how about we shake hands and make amends?”

“Sounds good to me,” Sunggyu said.

They both gave each other a slight glare before finally shaking hands to signal that it was the end of their argument… for now.

Myungsoo gave a disapproving shake of the head at his childish friends before turning towards Yoomi. “So… surprise?”

The room grew silent for a moment when Yoomi suddenly couldn’t help it any longer and burst out into laughter. “You guys are so weird,” she said in between her fits of laughter.

“Is that a good thing?” Myungsoo asked.

Yoomi nodded while trying to catch her breath. “Then that’s great!” Sungjong said. “Let’s eat the cake now that Yoomi is here.”

“I get to choose the first piece,” Sunggyu said. “I was the one who bought the thing when no one volunteered to pay for it.”

“No, Yoomi gets to get the first piece since she’s the main person of this event,” Sungjong said. “You can have the second piece if that can help lessen your resentment towards us for having you pay for everything.”

“I’m completely fine with Yoomi having the first piece, but you have to do more than just giving me the second slice to make my resentment go away,” he replied with crossed arms.

Sungyeol leaned close to Sungjong’s ear and started whispering so that Sunggyu wouldn’t hear what he was about to say. “I say we make a run for it and just let him have the last piece. We already owe him too much already, so it would be a bad idea to try to make his resentment go away. There’ll probably never be another free day if we have to pay him back for paying for most of our food.”

“You’re right,” Sungjong whispered back. “Let’s make a run for it.”

Sunggyu furrowed his eyebrows at them. “You do know that I can still here you, right?”

“Oh no, I think he’s catching onto us,” Sungjong said. “Run!”

The two of them dashed into the kitchen with the plan to hide the cake from Sunggyu. “You two, what do you think you’re doing?!” Sunggyu shouted as he ran after them.

The rest stayed in the living room while the three continued to run around the house in circles with Sunggyu trying to catch the two and the two trying their best to prevent Sunggyu from ever reaching them.

“I think he’s losing stamina!” Sungjong yelled, clutching onto the cake box while doing so.

“But not fast enough. The old man is faster than we thought,” Sungyeol yelled back while breathing heavily.

“You two dare to call me an old man again?” Sunggyu shouted. “Just wait until I catch you two. You’ll never see the light of day!”

The three of them continued running around the house while the others continued to watch them.

“Ahem,” Dongwoo cleared his throat. “Should we just look at the dinosaurs? I think they’ll take long.”

Yoomi nodded and went over to the T-Rex. “This looks really cool. I can’t believe that Sungyeol made it.”

“It wasn’t just Sungyeol. He actually made it with his art class,” Myungsoo stated.

“But he still helped with making it,” Yoomi said while staring at the dinosaur with awe.

“But the tail broke though,” Hoya said. “Sunggyu broke it when he helped with moving the thing.”

“See Sunggyu!” Sungyeol yelled from somewhere in the house. “I told you that it was your fault! Even Hoya agreed!”

“That’s not enough evidence to accuse me of doing that!”

Hoya furrowed his eyebrows with a confused face. “How did they even hear me?” he questioned. “We’re not even in the same part of the house.”

Everyone in the living room shrugged.

“They’re just weird,” Myungsoo replied.

All of the sudden, Woohyun walked into the living room with plastic bags in his hands. “I’m back with the party stuff,” he said. He then widened his eyes when he saw Yoomi. “Yoomi is here already? And… why are those three running around the house like maniacs?”

“Yes,” Dongwoo answered towards the first question. “And they’re just weird.”

Woohyun stared into space for a second before nodding in understanding. “Okay, cool,” he said. “But let’s play with the things I bought while those three are busy doing whatever they’re doing.”

Everyone nodded in agreement before going over to him to view the items in the plastic bag and started playing with the items while the others were still running around the house.