Caught You

An Inventor's Mistake

“Alright, so all of her actions clearly proves to me that she is the culprit,” Yoomi said as she pointed at what she wrote on the clear whiteboard. “All that is left to do now is to make her admit it.”

Myungsoo furrowed his eyebrows. “Why did you bring my clear whiteboard all the way from my office?” he asked.

Yoomi looked at him in disbelief. “I’m about to tell you my plan to clear my name, and the first thing you ask is ‘why did I bring your clear whiteboard from your office?’” Myungsoo nodded his head. Yoomi sighed. “Fine, I brought it because it looks cool and I wanted to write on it. Now will you completely focus on my plan?”

Myungsoo nodded his head. “But you have to bring it back after you’re done,” he said.

Yoomi nodded. “Sure,” she agreed. “Now let’s keep talking about my plan.” She pointed at the board with the top of her marker. “So like I said before, she had been showing the signs of a person that had just committed something that they’re guilty for. Now we only need to make her admit it.”

“But how are we going to do that?” he asked.

“Well, remember when you said that you’re a handsome and charming young man?” she asked back. Myungsoo nodded. She then smiled at him. “That’s how we’re going to do it.”

Myungsoo furrowed his eyebrows. “Wait… what do you mean?” he asked. He then saw her smiling at him and widened his eyes in realization. “No!” he said firmly.

Yoomi frowned. “Why not?”

“You know that I don’t like her.”

“But you’ve done it before. Remember the letter that you wrote?”

He raised an eyebrow. “You mean the one that you made me write?”

“But you said that you were fine with it.”

“No, I didn’t! I only agreed because you kept bothering me about it.”

Yoomi pouted. “Then why won’t you do it again?”

“Because I never wanted to in the first place.”

“But please~”

“No.”

“Please~, it’s to clear my name.”

“No.”

Yoomi sadly sighed and decided to stop trying to convince him. She didn’t want to keep bothering him like before. He already helped her with so much, asking him to do something that he doesn’t want to do would only annoy him. “Okay, if you don’t want to then it’s fine,” she said in understanding.

Myungsoo looked at her weirdly. *She usually doesn’t give up this easily, but why is she giving up so quickly now?* he thought. “Why did you give up so quickly?” he asked.

“What do you mean?” she asked back.

“Well, you’re usually very persistent, but now you gave up after only a minute,” he explained. “Last time, you bothered me for days just to convince me to write a letter.”

Yoomi pushed her glasses up. “Well, I just don’t want to bother you anymore,” she said. “You already did so much for me, and I don’t want to ask for more. I can just find another way to execute my plan.” She then took some time to think. “Do you think that Woohyun would agree to help me with this after school?”

Myungsoo raised an eyebrow. “And why would you ask him for help?”

“Because he has a lot of charm, and he would be perfect for my plan.”

Myungsoo frowned. “Does he have more charm than me?”

Yoomi shrugged. “I don’t know,” she answered. “But I guess I’ll find out if he helps me.”

“You don’t need to find out,” Myungsoo said. “He’s busy, and we all know that I’m more charming than him.”

Yoomi pouted. “He’s busy?” Myungsoo nodded. She then smiled when she thought of somebody else. “Then how about Hoya? He’s a gentleman, and girls like guys that are like a gentleman.”

Myungsoo frowned again. “Hoya is not a gentleman and he’s also busy,” he said. “Besides, I’m way more of a gentleman than Hoya is.”

“Then how about Sungj-“

“He’s busy studying.”

“Sungyeo-“

“He’s busy playing with his new helicopter.”

“Sunggy-“

“He’s studying with Sungjong.”

“Then Dongw-“

“Dance classes.”

Yoomi frowned. “Why are they all busy? I don’t remember their schedule being this packed.”

“Well, things came up,” he said.

Yoomi frowned. “Then who else can help me?” she asked herself.

Myungsoo then felt bad. He was completely lying about the others being busy, but he did it because he wanted her to himself. He didn’t even want her to be with his other friends rather than him. He knew he was being selfish, but he couldn’t help it. “Me,” he finally said. “I’ll help you.”

Yoomi widened her eyes in surprise. “Really? You’ll do it?” Myungsoo nodded. “But aren’t I bothering you since I’m making you help me?”

“You’re not making me help you. I personally want to help you,” he said.

“But why? You didn’t want to help me before,” she asked again.

“Well, after thinking for some time, we are best friends after all. And best friends help each other out no matter how bothersome it might be,” he explained. “So you should be happy that I’m finally agreeing to help you.”

Yoomi didn’t say anything and stood still for a moment. Then suddenly, a smile started growing on her face after everything that he just said soaked into her brain, and she immediately ran over to hug him. “Myungsoo, you’re the best best friend ever,” she said while smiling happily.

Myungsoo instantly blushed and didn’t know what to do. “W-why are you hugging me?” he stuttered.

Yoomi stopped hugging him and looked at his face. “Because you’re an amazing best friend for helping me even though I keep bothering you all of the time,” she explained.

“B-but that’s nothing. Best friends have to help each other even if they’re being annoying,” he stated.

Yoomi thought about it before nodding. “Yeah, you’re probably right.” She then got up and walked back to the board. “Then tomorrow we’ll discuss about what I want you to do, okay?”

Myungsoo nodded and she smiled before pushing the board back into his office. Myungsoo watched her leave before ruffling his hair in frustration. “Darn it Myungsoo, you should have hugged her back. It was the perfect opportunity for that too!” He started scolding himself, and continued sulking about his missed opportunity as he went to bed.


 

“So that’s all that I have to do?”

Yoomi nodded. “Yeah, you think that you can do it, right?”

He nodded as they finally reached the class. Looking through the window of the classroom, he could see Heajung sitting in her seat. He then took a deep breath. “Alright, here goes nothing…” He opened the door and started walking towards her. “Heajung.”

Heajung looked up and was surprised that Myungsoo was talking to her. “Myungsoo-ah!” she said excitedly. She then looked to see if he came with Yoomi. “You didn’t come with Yoomi?”

Myungsoo shook his head. “No,” he lied.

Heajung smiled. “That’s good. You shouldn’t be hanging around criminals like her.”

Myungsoo felt his blood boil from what she said, but tried his best to contain it. “Yeah,” he said with gritted teeth.

Heajung smirked when she saw Yoomi coming in by herself. *Hah, that’s what you get. Even Myungsoo left you now,* she thought victoriously.

“Heajung, is this phone yours?” Myungsoo asked. He held the phone out to her, trying his best to only touch the sides and the bottom without her suspecting anything.

Heajung looked at the phone and shook her head. “No, I’m pretty sure that it isn’t mine,” she replied.

“But to make sure, can you place your finger on it?” he asked. “This thing only unlocks with a specific fingerprint. Who knows, it might be yours.”

“But I’m pretty sure that it’s not mine. Mine is right here.” She took out her phone and showed it to him.

“Yeah, but most people in this class bring in two phones with them just in case one gets caught by the teacher,” he reasoned. “So can you just try to unlock it for me to make sure?”

“But-“

“Please,” he said. “It would mean a lot to me if you can.”

He smiled at her and it made her blush. “O-okay…” She took the phone and saw that it was already , before placing her finger on it. The phone started scanning her finger, and after a few seconds it printed the word ‘Match’ on the screen in big, bold green letters.

Myungsoo smirked. *Caught you.*

“Myungsoo, what does that mean?” Heajung asked.

Myungsoo shrugged in response. “I have no idea. This must be a really weird phone,” he replied. He then took the phone back and smiled at her. “Thanks Heajung, for doing this.”

Heajung blushed again and smiled back. “No problem,” she replied.

He then went back to his seat and showed Yoomi the phone. Yoomi smiled when she saw that it said ‘Match.’ “Yes, more evidence that she really is the culprit,” she said happily. “Now all that is left is to make her confess.”

“Wait, there’s more?” he asked.

Yoomi nodded. “Of course, the only way to make the teachers believe us is if we have her confess what she did.”

“So I have to go talk to her again?”

Yoomi shook her head. “No, I’ll go. You’ve already done a lot.”

“Are you sure that you want to go?” he asked.

“Yeah,” she replied. “I’m sure.” He looked at her uneasily, but just nodded in agreement.

All of a sudden, a girl came out of nowhere and tried to pull Myungsoo towards her. “What are you doing?” he asked in surprise while trying to get out of her grip.

“Myungsoo, get out of the way. I don’t want you to be in the middle of this.”

“What are you talking about?” he asked again.

Another guy came and pulled him out of his chair, away from Yoomi. “We’re doing this because you’re not our target,” the guy said.

Myungsoo furrowed his eyebrows. “What do you m-“ He stopped midsentence when suddenly, a bunch of crumpled up paper was being thrown at Yoomi. “What are you doing?!” he yelled at the people who were throwing it at her. He then tried to run over to her, but the two people stopped him.

“Why are you running over to her? Do you want to be caught on the receiving end of that?” the guy asked.

“Yeah, just let her be. She’s a criminal after all,” the girl said.

Myungsoo could feel anger brewing up inside of him. “She’s not a criminal! She wasn’t the one who stole the money!” he yelled. He tried to get out of the two peoples’ grip, but they firmly held onto him. He struggled while watching helplessly at Yoomi trying to shield herself from the oncoming paper balls.

“Yoomi, what are you doing just sitting there?! Get out of here!” he shouted.

Yoomi, hearing what he said, got up and started towards the door. But while she was too busy trying to walk and shield the paper balls from hitting her eyes at the same time, she couldn’t see that somebody stuck their foot out and tripped her. She felt herself falling onto the ground with a thump before feeling something cold on her head.

“You’re lucky that we only have milk in our possession right now,” somebody said in a cold voice.

Yoomi could feel the milk dripping down her hair and onto her clothes. There was a flashback as she suddenly remembered what happened when she was little.

Flashback

The girl smiled in satisfaction. “That’s right, she deserves it,” she said. She then turned towards Yoomi and splashed milk into her face. “You should be grateful that I’m giving you milk, it should help you grow since you’re just a little kid.”

End

She felt herself feeling terrified that what happened in the past was repeating itself. *It’s happening again,* she thought as she sat helplessly on the ground. She then widened her eyes when a carton of milk was thrown at the floor next to her, causing for the carton to spill some of its’ contents onto the ground. The people in the classroom stopped throwing paper at her, but were now resorting to throwing carton of milks at her.

Myungsoo couldn’t take it anymore as he finally broke free from the two peoples’ grasp and ran over to shield her. Another few carton of milks were thrown at them, hitting Myungsoo’s back a few times, before it completely stopped. Yoomi finally looked up at him and he smiled at her. “It’s going to be okay,” he said before turning towards the other people in the classroom.

He then glared at them. “You people are sick,” he said with disgust in his voice. “Why are you doing this to her?!”

“Myungsoo, why are you sticking up for her again?” Heajung asked angrily. “She’s a criminal!”

“No she’s not!” he yelled back. “You’re the cr-“ He felt a tug on his sleeve before stopping midsentence and turning towards Yoomi.

“Don’t tell them yet,” she whispered. “Not until we have enough evidence.”

“But-“

“Please.” She looked at him with pleading eyes and he finally, but reluctantly, nodded.

“Alright,” he said before turning towards the other people again. “We’ll prove that she is innocent,” he said to them.

“And how are you going to do that? Do you have evidence?” somebody asked.

“We will have evidence,” he answered. “So just wait because we will prove that she is innocent.” He then helped Yoomi up before walking her out of the classroom.

“Wait, do I have to go to the boy’s bathroom again,” she asked when they reached the front of the boy’s bathroom.

Myungsoo nodded and continued pulling her in. They then stopped in front of the sink. “You’re such an idiot,” he said. “Why didn’t you say something to them or at least do something? You can’t just stand there and let them do this to you.”

“Well, I did try to get out of there. But it seems like I just got soaked,” she said as she let out a weak laugh.

Myungsoo sighed. “Are you seriously laughing when you’re in this situation?” he asked. “Aren’t you angry that they did this to you?!”

“Of course I’m angry!” she replied. “But being angry won’t help anything!” Myungsoo was surprised when she suddenly raised her voice. She then looked at him with sad eyes. “Look, Myungsoo…” She sighed before speaking again. “Remember when I told you about the people bullying me and how I wanted to keep it from my dad?”

He nodded in response. “Well… he eventually found out,” she continued. “And he knew that I wouldn’t trust people anymore after what they’ve done to me, but he tried to change my mind. He researched psychology and everything to put them into a presentation for me. He even spent more time on it than his own presentations for work.”

“And you know what? After listening to his presentation, it made me change my mind about people.” She looked him in the eyes. “Myungsoo, people can change. There’s a reason that they’re doing that to me, and I completely understand it.”

“But-“

“Myungsoo, just trust me. I can handle this.”

Myungsoo looked into her eyes and saw how sincere she was. “Fine,” he said after a while. Yoomi smiled at his answer. “But let’s go outside where there’s a bigger sink so that you can wash your hair. It’s a mess with the milk all over it.”

“But are the teachers going to let us go outside?” she asked. “We’re not in p.e or lunch right now.”

“It’ll be fine. They will understand when they see you in this state.”

She nodded, and they started walking outside.


 

“What do you want to talk to me about?” Heajung asked coldly.

“I just want to ask you why you did it,” Yoomi replied.

Heajung looked at her wearily. “Did what?” she asked back.

“Stealing the money and putting it into my backpack,” Yoomi said. “I just want to know why you did it.”

“W-What?! I-I didn’t d-do that!” she argued.

“But someone saw you do it,” Yoomi said.

Heajung looked at her in shock before scoffing. “Dang it Haeun, I told you to not tell anybody,” she said under her breath.

“So are you admitting that you were the one who did it?” Yoomi asked again.

Heajung looked around and saw that nobody was there to listen to them. She then smirked. “I do. I admit it,” she said. “I was the one that stole the jar and placed it into your backpack.”

“But why did you do it?”

“Because of Myungsoo,” Heajung replied. “You’re always sticking around him. I had to get him away from you somehow.”

“Heajung… did you really do that just because of Myungsoo?” Yoomi asked.

Heajung nodded as she crossed her arms. “Yeah, is there anything wrong with that?” she asked back.

“Yes, you shouldn’t do that just because of him. Doing something like this is a crime.”

Heajung scoffed. “Are you telling me what to do right now?” she asked in disbelief.

Yoomi shook her head. “Of course I’m not. I just want to tell you that doing something like this is wrong,” she explained. “So please confess what you did to the teacher.”

“Do you really think that I would do that?”

Yoomi nodded. “Yes because I recorded your confession,” she replied.

Heajung widened her eyes. “You didn’t…”

“But I did,” Yoomi said. “And I’m giving you a chance to confess before I give it to the teacher.”

“Are you… threatening me?” Heajung asked menacingly.

Yoomi shook her head. “I’m not. I just want you to come clean about what you did.”

Heajung rolled her eyes in disbelief. “Yah, you’re clearly threatening me!” she yelled.

“No Heajung, I’m really not-“

“Heajung, is this girl bothering you?”

A group of girls came up and stood beside Heajung. Heajung nodded and had on a scared face. “Yeah, and she was threatening me,” she said.

The girls looked at Yoomi in disbelief. “Yah, you’re even threatening people now? What a low life.”

“But I really wasn’t threatening her,” Yoomi said.

“But you clearly were. Stop lying!”

Myungsoo was watching from a distance, but he couldn’t take it anymore. “Aish, Song Yoomi. You said that you could handle it by yourself,” he mumbled worriedly. He was just about to go and help her when somebody beat him to it.

“No, she wasn’t lying.” Gikwang came up and stood in between Yoomi and the girls.

The girls looked at him in disbelief. “Gikwang, why are you defending her? She’s a criminal.”

“No, she’s not,” Gikwang said. “And I can prove it.” He then turned towards Yoomi. “Yoomi, can you show me your recording device?”

Yoomi widened her eyes. “How did you k-“

“I’m sorry, but I listened to your conversation with Heajung,” he said with an apologetic smile. He rubbed the back of his head awkwardly. “Can you forgive me for that?” Yoomi didn’t say anything for a moment, but then nodded. “And can you also give me your recording device?” he asked again. “I want to prove that you’re innocent to these people.”

Yoomi hesitated, but gave him the recording device anyway. Gikwang then took it and turned towards the girls. “And here’s the evidence,” he said before playing it.

The group of girls listened to the whole conversation between Yoomi and Heajung, and felt bad about what they did to her. “Yoomi…” A girl stepped up and looked at her apologetically. “I’m sorry for accusing you of doing something like this.”

The other girls did the same before leaving in embarrassment because of what they did to her. But before that, they all glared at Heajung before leaving her behind. “Y-Yah, w-why are you guys leaving?” Heajung said. She then looked at Gikwang and Yoomi and glared at them both before leaving also.

Gikwang looked at Yoomi and smiled. “Thank goodness this is over. I was so worried that the whole school would gang up on you and bully you because of this,” he said.

Yoomi furrowed her eyebrows. “So the whole school knew about this incident?” she asked.

Gikwang nodded. “Of course, people are very talkative you know,” he replied. He then gently grabbed her arm. “Come on, let’s go tell the teacher now.”

Yoomi just nodded and followed him to the teacher’s office. As they were walking, she looked at him thankfully. “Thanks,” she said. “For helping me at that time.”

“No problem,” he replied. “That’s what friends are for, right? They stick together no matter what. Just like the power rangers.”

Yoomi laughed at his comparison. “Yeah, I agree,” she said with a smile.

Myungsoo watched them walk away with an aching heart. “I guess I wasn’t able to help her this time…” He looked at them one last time before sighing and leaving the area.


 

“And here’s your bagel.” Yoomi handed the customer their food before smiling. “Thank you for coming here!” The customer then smiled back, and paid before leaving. As soon as the customer left, Yoomi instantly stretched before laying her head on the counter. “Yes! That was the last customer. We can go home now!” she said happily.

She then looked at Myungsoo who was still doing his homework. “Myungsoo, are you still doing your homework?” she asked. He didn’t answer. She didn’t say anything else since she didn’t want to disturb him. She then went and was about to clean the table and floors by herself, but was suddenly stopped when someone took the cleaning supplies from her.

“Go home first,” he said. He then took something out from behind his back before giving it to her.

Yoomi looked at it and saw that one was her uniform that was now clean, and the other was another uniform. She then took her uniform that was already cleaned. “Woah, how did you get this cleaned so fast?” she asked in amazement.

“I got it dry cleaned when we were on break,” he replied. He then took her other hand and gave her the other uniform. “And take this just in case your uniform gets dirtied again, so that you have another one to change into instead of having to wear your p.e uniform.”

Yoomi looked at him in surprise. “Myungsoo, you didn’t have to give me this.” She was about to give it back, but he stopped her.

“Just keep it,” he said before he walked away and started cleaning. Yoomi was about to go and help him, but he spoke up again. “And don’t help me. I want to clean alone.”

“But-“

“Just go home,” he said.

Yoomi was confused as to why he was acting this way, but agreed anyway. “Alright, I’ll wait for you.”

“No, don’t wait for me,” he said. “Just go home. I’ll lock the place up by myself.”

Yoomi felt a little hurt, but just nodded. “Alright.” She then got her stuff and left the bakery after taking one last glance at him.

After he heard her left, he finally turned and looked at the door. “Why am I even acting this way?” he asked himself. He then remembered her with Gikwang, and how Gikwang was the one who helped her instead of him. He sighed as he remembered what happened. “I wasn’t even able to help her at that time,” he said sadly. He then went back to cleaning, and after he was done he got his stuff before exiting the bakery and locking it up.

“Myungsoo!”

He was shocked when somebody suddenly placed a hand on his shoulder and called his name. “AH!” he screamed.

Yoomi looked at him in surprise from his reaction before laughing. “Ahaha, why are you so scared?” she asked while laughing.

Myungsoo looked at her in disbelief. “Why do you think? You just sneaked up on me and called my name! I thought that you were some type of ghost or serial killer or something!” he explained. “And why are you still here? I told you to go home.”

Yoomi pouted. “I wanted to wait for you,” she said.

Myungsoo was surprised by what she said. “Why did you want to wait for me?” he asked again.

“Because I want to walk home with you. Is there anything wrong with that?” she asked back.

Myungsoo shook his head. “No, not at all,” he answered, still surprised.

“Also, it was the least that I could do after you did my share of the work,” she explained.

Myungsoo was less surprised now. “Well, now it makes more sense.”

Yoomi then smiled at him. “But thanks,” she said. “For everything you did for me today.”

“What did I do?” he asked. “I didn’t do that much.”

“But you did,” she said. “You helped me get Heajung’s fingerprint, defended me when things were being thrown at me, cleaned my uniform and bought me another one, and even cleaned and locked up the bakery while I did nothing.” She then changed her voice so that it would be a little deeper. “Kim Myungsoo, for doing all of those generous deeds, I now pronounce you…” She gave him a little bow like a knight would. “…as an awesome best friend.”

Myungsoo smiled and chuckled at her cute antics. “Thank you, I am very much honored,” he said as he played along.

Yoomi then looked up at him and smiled. “No need to thank me,” she said before turning and walking away.

Myungsoo scoffed in disbelief when she suddenly left him, but continued smiling. He then went over and brought her into a headlock.

“Ah, Myungsoo!” she yelled in surprise.

“Song Yoomi, after giving me such an honorable mention, you just suddenly leave me like that?” he asked, pretending to be hurt.

“Sure, why wouldn’t I?” she replied.

“Oh, Song Yoomi, I think you made a mistake with your reply,” he said. “You should have said, ‘I’m so sorry, oppa. I didn’t mean to’ or ‘Myungsoo oppa, I’m so sorry for leaving such a handsome young man for no reason at all. I should be ashamed of myself.’”

Yoomi started laughing at what he said. “You. Handsome and young?” she said teasingly. “Dream on, ahjussi.”

Myungsoo narrowed his eyes at her. “Ahjussi?” he repeated what she said. “That does it. No more second chances, we’re just going home like this.”

Yoomi widened her eyes when he started walking with her still in a headlock. “Yah, I’m still in a headlock. I can barely walk properly like this,” she said.

“Well maybe you should have thought about that before you said what you said,” he said. He then looked down at her and smiled. “Right, Song Yoomi?”

She then huffed and nodded. “Yes,” she said grumpily.

“Good,” he said before starting to walk again.

“Aish, Kim Myungsoo, you’re such a meanie!” 


 

Good news, Yoomi name is finally cleared! *crowd cheers in the background*

Have a great weekend~ You guys can finally rest now that Yoomi's name is cleared.^v^