First Meeting

An Inventor's Mistake

Myungsoo's pov:

"Why is it raining so much?" I asked myself as I watched the sky. I just got to the front entrance of my school and saw that it was pouring outside. "Thank goodness I brought an umbrella with me."

I opened my umbrella and walked out to the gate of my school. I was the only one left since I decided to stay after school to finish my homework. I know, I could've done it at home, but I didn't feel like it so might as well finish it at school.

Anyways, I felt like going to the park, and luckily it's not that far from my house so I can just stop by. When I got there, I saw a weird looking machine and a girl sitting next to it. She was drenched and looked depressed. Feeling bad for her, I walked over to her and asked if she was okay. When she looked up, I noticed how she didn't look like she lived around here. *Maybe she's from overseas.* I thought.

The girl looked shocked when she saw me and quickly stood up. "Yeah, I'm okay," she said.

"Are you sure?" I asked. "Do you need help or anything?"

"No, I'm fine," she said with a smile. "It's okay, you can go on ahead with your day."

I was about to go, but something told me that I should help this girl. I didn't know why; it was probably my conscience or something. "At least take the umbrella. You're soaking wet," I said as I held my umbrella out towards her.

"But then you won't have an umbrella and will get drenched in the rain," she said. "I'm already drenched so it doesn't really matter."

No matter how much I tried to convince her to take my umbrella, she wouldn't take it. Turns out she's more stubborn than I thought. "Okay then," I said as I sighed in defeat, "but if you need something, tell me. I'll be right over there near that tree." I pointed at the tree that I was talking about and walked over to it. I stood there watching the rain for a while and also taking a few glances at the girl. It looked like she was contemplating over something. All of a sudden, she started to walk over and I quickly looked away.

"Excuse me," she said. "You said that if I need help then I can tell you right?"

I looked over at her. "Yup, that's what I said," I replied.

"You can help me with anything right," she asked. "No matter how big or small?"

"Yeah, I guess so," I said as I nodded my head.

"Then can I stay at your house for a while?" she asked.

"What?!" I said shocked. "Why do you want to stay at my house?"

"Well, I really need a place to stay and I have nowhere to go," she said. "Is that okay?"

"NO! THERE'S NO WAY THAT YOU'RE STAYING AT MY HOUSE!" I yelled. The girl flinched when I yelled at her. "Oh sorry," I said, "but you're still not staying at my house."

"Oh, then I guess that I'll have to stay out here in the rain," she said with a sad voice. She started to walk back towards the machine with her head down.  I felt really bad and my conscience kept telling me to help her, but I'm not giving in. Nope, there's no way that I'll let her stay at my place. Not even in a million years.

Then the girl suddenly faced me. "What if I tell you that I can be very useful," she said.

"What do you mean useful?" I asked.

"I can make anything you want and fix anything you want," she said. "As long as it's a type of machine."

"And how can you do that?" I asked.

"Trust me, I'm very good at it," she replied. "So what do you say?"

I thought about it for a moment. *She could be really useful if any of my appliances break down and I'm curious of what she can make, but what if she's lying.* I thought. "Wait, how do I know that you're not lying and that you can actually do that?" I asked.

"You see that machine over there, I built it," she said as she pointed at the machine.

"You built that?!" I said surprised. "How did you build that thing and what does it even do?"

"Can I explain at your house? I'm still standing out here in the rain," she said.

I just noticed that I've been talking to her while she was out in the rain, and felt sorry that she had to stand out here for so long. "Alright, you can explain at my house," I said.

I saw the girl's expression brighten. "Yes!" she said happily while doing a fist pump. "Wait just a minute, I'll go get my machine." She ran towards her machine and pushed it over using a handle at the back of it. "So which way to your house?"

"Over there," I said as I pointed at the direction where my house is located. She started to push the machine towards the direction that I pointed at and I walked beside her while holding my umbrella above the two of us. I offered to help her push the machine, but she refused. We walked in silence, but for some reason it didn't feel awkward. "You know what, I didn't get your name," I said.

"Oh, my name is Song Yoomi," she said with a smile. "How about you? What's your name?"

"My name is Kim Myungsoo," I replied returning the smile. We got to my house and I opened the gate. Yoomi pushed her machine through the gate and I could hear her talk to herself.

"Woah, so this is what a house looks like in the 21st century," Yoomi said in awe.

Modern-Bills-House-Design-Front-View.jpg

"What do you mean by a house in the 21st century?" I asked confused. "Is this the first time that you've seen a house?"

"No, I've seen houses before," Yoomi replied.

"Then what about the 21st century part?" I asked.

"Well, it's a long story," Yoomi replied.

"Then you can explain inside the house, I don't want to stand out here in the rain all day," I said. Yoomi was about to push her machine through the front door, but saw that it was too big. "I think we should put this in my back porch for now," I said. Yoomi agreed and pushed it to the back porch. She left it there and we went inside the house. I looked over at her and saw that she was completely drenched. "You know, you can catch a cold if you stay in those clothes," I said. "If you want you can borrow my clothes and go wash off."

Yoomi looked at me weirdly. "I just met you, how am I going to trust that something won't happen while I'm showering?" she asked.

"What kind of person do you think I am?" I asked. "I am a good person and would never do something like that!"

"Okay fine, but just so you'll know, if you do something bad to me then there will be consequences," Yoomi said. I went up to my room and got out a t-shirt, sweat pants, and a towel and gave it to Yoomi.

"The bathroom is over there," I said as I pointed to the bathroom. Yoomi walked into the bathroom and closed the door. I went downstairs and the tv. My favorite show was playing, but all I could think about was how weird that girl is. *That girl is very strange. First, I've never seen anybody ever wear those kind of clothes before and second, her machine looks like some sort of space craft. Can it be that she's an alien?* I thought.

After about 20 minutes, Yoomi came down drying hair. I looked at her and saw that my clothes looked very big on her. For some reason, she looked really cute wearing my clothes like that. "So it's time for you to explain about your weird machinery and pretty much everything else," I said.

She sat down at the couch on the right and started to speak. "Would you believe me if I say that I'm a time traveler from the 31st century?" she questioned.

I stared at her for a moment as I processed what she said. "Nope, I don't believe you at all," I replied.

"But I really am from the 31st century," she said. "Is there any way that I can make you believe me?"

"Not that I know of," I said. "How in the world are you going to make me believe in something as absurd as that?"

I saw Yoomi think for a moment. "Wait a minute, I have this," she said. She took out a square object and pressed a button to turn it on. "Thank goodness I played around with this and made it waterproof," she said.

I looked over at her curiously. "What's that?" I asked.

"It's my phone," she replied.

"How is that a phone?" I asked puzzled. "I have never seen a phone like that before."

"It's a phone from my century," she said. "Before I time traveled, I made some improvements to it so that I could communicate with my dad just in case there would be an emergency." Her 'phone' looked like something from a futuristic movie. As she tapped on it, a hologram of a middle-aged man  suddenly came up. It was nothing like I've ever seen before. *A hologram coming from a phone in hd quality! How is that even possible?* I thought to myself.

"Dad, are you there?" she asked the man.

"Oh, Yoomi," the man said with a smile.

"Dad, I need your help!" Yoomi said. "I finally got the machine working, but now it's broken and I'm stuck in the 21st century."

"Oh dear," the man said worriedly. "Are you okay, Yoomi? Are you hurt in any way?"

"No dad, I'm fine, but I can't get back to my own timeline," Yoomi said.

"Hmm, I guess we're in a jiffy," the man said. "I'm sorry Yoomi, but I don't think that I can help you. I only know how to make F.C.F.'s and nothing else. This is up to you, Yoomi. You're the only one who knows how to build a time machine and you're the only one who can fix it."

"Yeah, but it's going to take forever. The machine got wet and I forgot to make it waterproof so that means that I would have to replace all of the parts," Yoomi said. "Not to mention that this is the 21st century so I would have to improvise with the materials provided here."

"I know it's hard, but I believe that you can do it," the man said. "You're a genius; you'll be able to find a way to fix it."

"Ahem," I said as I faked a cough. "I'm still here."

"Oh I forgot," Yoomi said. "Dad, can you somehow convince this person that I'm really from the future."

The man looked like he was in deep thought for a moment. "Hmm, I think this might work," he said as he got up. He walked to his window and pulled open the curtains.

What I saw was something far beyond what I could ever imagine. It was a beautiful city with very tall buildings. There were flying cars everywhere and everything looked so clean and colorful. I always thought that the future would look very polluted, but I was completely wrong. It was so stunning that I couldn't take my eyes off of it.

"Now do you believe me?" Yoomi asked. I nodded my head without taking my eyes off of the hologram. "So are you going to let me stay here until I can get back to my own time?" she asked. I nodded again. "And also you're going to help me right?" she asked. I kept nodding my head. "Yes, I finally made him believe me," Yoomi said happily.

As I finally got back to my senses, I looked at Yoomi. "Wow, I can't believe it," I said. "There's a time traveler right before my eyes."


Author's note:

Thank you guys so much for subscribing. It truly means a lot to me! I would also like to especially thank LuhanLovesClaire for upvoting, subscribing, and commenting. You guys are truly the best! : D