What Were You About to Say?

An Inventor's Mistake

“Hey, are you okay?” Myungsoo asked as they went into the house.

“Of course I’m okay,” she said with a smile. “I’ll just go to sleep now. I’m kind of tired.” She then walked upstairs to her bedroom.

Myungsoo sighed and thought about the people who wrote the terrible things on the board about her. “Those people, if I find out who they are then I’ll gladly give them a black eye.” He sadly looked at the place where she disappeared upstairs.

The words must have hurt her a lot. Heck, it would have hurt anybody. Something like that would be hard to forget, but Yoomi even had an eidetic memory. That means that she would remember it forever, every single word of it. At least a normal person wouldn’t remember every single word, but this was one of the times where her memory would feel more like a curse than a gift.

Myungsoo walked upstairs. He got to the front of his bedroom, but something was preventing him from entering it. He kept taking glances at Yoomi’s door, wondering if she’s okay and worrying about her. *What if she’s feeling heartbroken right now? What if she’s crying?*

He didn’t like the idea of her crying. He saw her nearly shedding a tear the last time she was bullied and he hated it so much. He didn’t want her to cry; he wanted her to smile. That bright cheerful smile that would brighten up his day no matter what mood he’s in. Without having to think much, he went over to the front of her door and saw that it was open just a tiny bit. This gave him the ability to nudge it with his paw and poke his head in.

He looked over at her bed and saw her sitting there. Thankfully she wasn’t crying. Instead, she was staring into space, most likely remembering what she had seen. “Yoomi?” he called out.

Yoomi snapped out of her daze and turned her head towards him. “Oh… what is it?”

“Um… I can’t open my door since it’s closed…” he lied.

“But I saw that it was open when I came up here,” she said, giving him a puzzled look.

“Um… I accidently closed it… by accident…”

“Oh, then I’ll help you open it.” She was about to get up, but he stopped her.

“No, it’s fine. I just… wanted to stay here for the night. Is that okay with you?” he asked. He saw that she was confused and spoke up again. “I’m just not used to being a dog. I won’t even know how to put my blanket onto myself and I won’t even be able to get it off.”

Yoomi nodded, understanding his situation. “Okay, you can sleep here if you want.” Myungsoo happily walked into her bedroom and sat down on the floor. “You can sleep up here since it’s cold down there.” She was about to go down, but he frantically shook his head.

“No, it’s fine. I just want to know what it’s like to be a dog and sleep on the floor like one for once.”

His statement made her smile. “Well okay then Myungie, you can sleep on the floor if you want.” She went over to him and patted his head.

“Myungie? Why in the world are you calling me Myungie?” he asked.

“Because I think it’s a cute spinoff of your name since you’re a dog,” she replied.

“I’m not a dog for your information. I’m a human,” he said seriously.

“But I still think the name is cute.” She sat down next to him and continued his fur. “Right Myungie, don’t you think that it’s cute?”

She smiled at him and it made his heart flutter. *Maybe being a dog actually isn’t that bad,* he thought while enjoying her touch. “Yeah,” he replied. “It’s way better than being called ahjussi.”

“Don’t get your hopes up. Once you’re human again, I’ll keep calling you ahjussi no matter what.” She playfully stuck her tongue out at him.

“Hey, stop calling me ahjussi. I’m still not that old yet. I would rather have you call me Myungie or even… oppa.”

Yoomi laughed. “Ahaha, calling a dog oppa is kind of weird,” she said while laughing.

“But I like being called oppa…” he said with a frown.

“Alright, alright, I’ll call you that when you’re a human again.” She then started giggling. “But truthfully, this is such a weird conversation that I’m having with a dog.”

“But I’m a human!” he retorted.

Yoomi laughed again. “I know, but you don’t have to be so offended when I call you a dog. You’re quite cute you know?”

Myungsoo felt his heart beating faster. *Dang it Myungsoo, why do you have to feel this way when all she does is call you cute.* He tried to regain his composure before starting to speak. “But didn’t you want to have a dog? I remember that you said that you really wanted one.”

Yoomi widened her eyes and was impressed. “Woah, that was a pretty long time ago and you actually remembered that?” She then patted his head. “I guess our Myungie’s memory is improving.”

“Stop treating me like a dog,” he said with a frown.

Yoomi pouted. “But I always wanted a dog. Not a robot dog, but a living and breathing one.” She gave him the puppy dog eyes. “Can’t I treat you like a dog just for now? It’s not like you’re going to be a dog forever.”

Myungsoo saw her puppy dog eyes and almost gave in. “No,” he said. “You’re not going to treat me like a dog.”

“Please~” she asked again.

Myungsoo tried his best to not give in. *Man, she’s even giving me the puppy dog eyes and the pout.* He tried to look away, but she kept moving in front of him so he couldn’t look away at all. He then finally gave in. “Alright fine,” he said with a sigh. “Treat me like a dog then.”

Yoomi looked at him in surprise. “Really? You’ll let me?” Myungsoo nodded. Yoomi smiled gratefully. “Thank you Myungsoo!” she said as she hugged him.

Myungsoo immediately blushed. “W-why a-are you t-thanking me?” he asked.

“Because I always wanted a dog and now I can finally know what it’s like to have one,” she replied. She then broke their hug and started petting him instead. “Woah, your fur is really soft.” She smiled while his long, soft fur. Myungsoo started blushing even more.

“Myungsoo…” Yoomi then got a ball out from her pocket and threw it across the room. “…go fetch.”

Myungsoo looked at her with a confused look. “Where did you even get that ball from?” he asked.

“Well, I already knew that I would have a dog for the rest of today, even though I didn’t expect it to be you, so I prepared the ball beforehand,” she explained. She then pointed at the ball. “Now Myungie, go fetch.”

Myungsoo gave her an ‘are you kidding me’ look. “There’s no way that I’m doing that,” he said.

Yoomi pouted. “But you said that I can treat you like a dog,” she said.

“Yeah, I know I did. While I’m fine with you petting me and calling me Myungie, I am not fine with you making me fetch a ball for you,” he said. “It’s too much exercise.”

Yoomi looked disappointed and sighed. “Aw, I thought that for once I would get to play fetch with a dog, but no. Myungsoo wouldn’t agree to it because he’s lazy,” she muttered loud enough for him to hear. She then sighed again. “And I really thought Myungsoo would be nice enough to grant me this one wish, but I guess he’s not. He’s too old and grouchy.” She took a peek at him to see if he changed his mind from hearing what she said.

“I know what you’re doing,” Myungsoo said. “You’re trying to make me play fetch with you by making me feel bad and making fun of me.”

Yoomi looked at him. “So… did it work?”

Myungsoo looked at her for a moment before answering. “No.”

Yoomi huffed. “Man, this person-turned-dog is harder to convince than I thought,” she mumbled to herself. She then pouted and gave him the puppy eyes again. “Aww, Myungsoo~, can’t you play fetch with me just this once?”

Myungsoo was taken aback by her sudden actions, but immediately shook his head when he realized what she was trying to do. “No,” he said again.

Yoomi frowned. “Play fetch with me or I’ll kick you out of this room and turn on the a/c.”

Myungsoo was bewildered. “Wait, are you… threatening me?”

Yoomi nodded. “That’s the only way that I can make you play fetch with me,” she answered.

Myungsoo scoffed on the inside. “Well fine then, go ahead. I’ll leave this room then.” He was about to leave, but Yoomi suddenly came up and hugged him.

“I’m so sorry, Myungsoo! I promise that I won’t threaten you again!” She looked at him with a pout and big, round sad eyes. “So please play fetch me.” She sounded desperate, and really sad.

Myungsoo sighed. “Do you really want me to play fetch with you that badly?” She nodded her head. Myungsoo sighed again before agreeing. “Fine.”

A happy smile grew on Yoomi’s face as she went back to her spot before and sat down. “Myungsoo!” she said excitedly. “Go fetch!”

Myungsoo rolled his eyes before walking over to the ball, picking it up with his mouth, and walking back to her. He then dropped the ball in front of her and sat down. “There, are you happy now?”

Yoomi nodded with a big smile on her face. “Thanks for doing this for me,” she said gratefully.

“You’re welcome,” he answered.

Yoomi then threw the ball across the room again. “Now, go fetch.”

“Wait a minute…” Myungsoo stood up on all four legs. “…you want me to do that again?”

Yoomi nodded excitedly. Myungsoo was about to say ‘no,’ but she gave him the puppy dog eyes again. “Please?” she asked.

Myungsoo sighed and stood there for a moment before walking over to the ball. He then came back with it in his mouth and dropped it in front of her. Yoomi smiled and petted his head. “Good boy,” she said.

Myungsoo just sat there and let her pet him. After that, Yoomi took the ball and threw it across the room again. “Now go again.”

Myungsoo couldn’t believe what he heard. “Nope, that does it. I’m not doing it again.” He then laid down and rested his head onto his paw. “Now go to sleep, it’s getting late,” he said, trying to change the subject.

Yoomi pouted. “But I want to play fetch with you.”

“No,” he said firmly. He pointed at the clock with his paw. “Look at the time. It’s already really late.”

Yoomi checked the clock and saw that it was already 1:00am. “Woah, it’s already that late?” She then pondered for a moment before reluctantly standing up and climbing onto the bed. “I guess we should go to sleep now.”

She was disappointed and wanted to play with him more, but she still agreed that it was time to sleep. “Psh, Myungsoo the killjoy dog…” she mumbled.

“Yah, I heard that!”

Yoomi then smiled and faked innocence. “Heard what?” she asked. “I was just going to bed like a good girl.”

“Yeah right,” Myungsoo said, not believing her.

Suddenly, she remembered something before turning towards Myungsoo. “Myungsoo, do you want to sleep with me?” she asked.

Myungsoo was surprised by what she said. “N-no,” he quickly replied. “Why would I want that?”

“You said that you couldn’t put a blanket on yourself and that it’s cold, that’s why you came into my room in the first place,” she reasoned. “So it wouldn’t make sense for you to sleep down there where it’s cold and uncomfortable.”

Myungsoo hesitated for a moment. *Should I sleep with her or sleep here on the floor?* It took him a long time to think before reaching a conclusion. *Wait, why am I even hesitating? The bed is warm and comfy while the floor is cold and hard. Who wouldn’t want to sleep on the bed, and why should I care if I sleep on the same bed as her or not? It’s not like we’re doing anything inappropriate.*

With that thought, he jumped onto her bed and lied down. Yoomi laughed. “I knew that you didn’t like sleeping on the floor,” she said with a smile. She then went over to her alarm clock and set it on.

“Why are you setting your alarm clock on? We’re not going to school tomorrow since it’s the weekend,” he said as he tried to find a comfortable spot on the bed.

“I’m setting it because it would be weird if we wake up and the first thing we see is each other’s face.” She set her alarm clock down and climbed onto bed. “So to avoid that, I’m going to face the opposite direction from you when I sleep, wake up before you turn back into a human, and then go downstairs or something.”

Myungsoo nodded in understanding. “Alright, whatever you say,” he said.

Yoomi smiled and reached over to pet him. “But it’s awesome that you’re a dog since your fur is so soft,” she said.

“You already said that.” He closed his eyes and got ready to sleep.

Yoomi lied down next to him and pulled her blanket up over the both of them. “It’s cold tonight, and you said that you wanted to use your blanket but you couldn’t since you’re a dog.” She tucked him in and he felt very touched by her kind gesture.

“Thanks,” he said.

Yoomi smiled. “You’re welcome,” she replied before lying back down again. “Good night, Myungie~”

“Good night,” he said.

She reached over and turned off the lamp on the nightstand before facing the other way from him and going to sleep.


 

Myungsoo woke up to a weird feeling on his neck. He slowly opened his eyes and used his hand to feel his neck. There, he felt the collar that he wore last night. *I guess I forgot to take it off.* He unfastened the collar from his neck and threw it onto the floor. He then closed his eyes again. *Now I’ll just go back to sleep.*

 He hugged his pillow even tighter as he tried to go back to dreamland. Suddenly, he realized that his pillow was warm. Too warm to be a pillow, and more like a human’s body. He could also feel somebody’s breath against his skin. *Wait, is this pillow actually breathing?* He opened his eyes again and looked down at the pillow that he was hugging.

His eyes widened in shock when he saw what or, more accurately, who it actually was. *Yoomi?* he thought in shock. He saw her peacefully sleeping with her head buried in his chest. *Why am I hugging her? I thought that she faced the other direction when she went to sleep.*

Myungsoo didn’t know what to do. Should he try to leave the bed quietly without waking her up or stay in the same position for a while longer? He thought about it as he hugged her. *Should I leave?* he asked himself. He looked down at her and stared at her as he contemplated over what he should do. *But I don’t want to leave. Not yet…*

He admitted to himself that he enjoyed hugging her a lot. He liked how she fits perfectly in between his arms, how her breath tickled the hairs on his skin, and how she made his heart beat so fast that he wondered if he needed some medical care. *Maybe I should stay like this. Just for a while longer…*

He pulled her closer to him and rested his chin gently on her head. He smiled when he felt that tickly feeling in his heart that only happens when he’s around her. He was also able to smell her hair, and it smelled so sweet. Actually, it’s the same scent as his since they use the same shampoo, but it smells so much sweeter and so much better on her.

*Man, my thoughts are creepy.* he thought when he realized that he sniffed her and was thinking about her scent. *Oh well, at least I have the excuse that I was a dog yesterday.*

He closed his eyes and soaked in the moment. Now that he decided to hug her for a little while longer, it’s getting harder for him to pull away. He never wanted to pull away; he wanted to stay like that forever with her in his arms. It made it seem like she was his and only his.

Unfortunately for him, the alarm clock sprang to life and ruined his moment. *Dang it, the alarm clock!* He quickly, but carefully, reached over to his nightstand. It was hard for him to turn it off or even slightly touch it since one arm was wrapped around Yoomi, trying to cover her ears, and the other was trying its best to reach over her where the alarm clock was.

It seemed like forever before he finally touched the alarm clock and pulled it towards him a little to make it easier to reach the button on top. *Shut up, you stupid alarm clock!* he thought in frustration as he slammed his hand multiple times on the top of the alarm. When the alarm turned off after many slams with the palm, he sighed in relief and retreated back to his position next to her. *Finally, now I can go back and…* Before he could even finish the thought, he felt Yoomi move a little. From that little movement, he quickly closed his eyes and pretended to be asleep.

 

Yoomi finally woke up and slightly opened her eyes. *What time is it?* she thought as she tried to look around. But no, she couldn’t look around, not when Myungsoo’s arms were wrapped securely around her. *Why does it feel like something is hugging me? And what is this white thing in front of my face.* she thought in confusion. She was still not fully awake yet and was not able to register everything right away. But when she did, well, she panicked.

*Wait, that’s Myungsoo’s t-shirt in front me. If his t-shirt is in front of me then…* She slowly looked up and saw Myungsoo’s face right in front of her. She widened her eyes in shock when she realized that he was right next to her, hugging her. *Is this a dream? I remember setting my alarm clock to set off right before he turns back into a human, so this must be a dream right?*

And to her, it really did feel like a dream. Seeing Myungsoo’s face up close like that made her blush madly. He was so close that she could even feel his breath on her forehead. Without even knowing it, she stared at him. She stared at his abnormally long eyelashes for a boy, perfectly straight nose, and his plump lips. Seeing his lips made her blush even more and her heart started to beat faster. *Why is he so close?* she thought as she looked at his lips that were only a few inches away from her face.

But truth to be told, she didn’t hate it. She actually really liked how close they were. She even imagined what it would be like if he suddenly kissed her. *Wait, what am I thinking.* She shook her head in surprise. *Why am I thinking such weird thoughts?* She lightly slapped her cheek to bring herself back to reality. After the minor self harm, she went back to staring at him. She couldn’t help it, he was just too mesmerizing to not stare at.

“Are you staring at me?” Myungsoo asked as he suddenly opened his eyes and smirked.

Yoomi instantly blushed when she was caught red-handed. “W-what, no!” she stuttered. “I just woke up. I wasn’t staring at you.” She shook her head in denial, making him chuckle at her reaction.

“I was just kidding,” he said. “But since you’re blushing so much, does that mean that you actually were staring at me?” A playful smile grew on his face.

“N-no!” she denied again. She then remembered that he was hugging her and quickly pushed him away. She sat up, scooted over to the nightstand, and put on her fake glasses that covered almost half of her face just so that she could hide her blushing.

Myungsoo smirked, sat up, and also scooted over to her. “Why are you wearing those glasses anyway?” he asked. He leaned his face closer to her. “Is it because you want to hide your red face right now?”

Yoomi widened her eyes in surprise when he actually knew why she was wearing it and he laughed at her reaction. “Seriously, you should see your face right now!” He laughed while pointing at her.

Yoomi frowned. “Why are you laughing at me?”

“Because you look so cute,” he said with a smile. He then lightly pinched both of her cheeks. “Aigoo, is my little Yoomi embarrassed because she woke up next to such a handsome oppa?”

“Psh, yeah right,” she mumbled.

Myungsoo was able to catch what she said. “Come on, just admit it. You like me as your handsome oppa don’t you?” He smiled and it almost made her heart stop working. When he didn’t hear an answer he pouted. “Seriously, you still think that Sungyeol is more handsome than me?”

She saw his pout and thought that it was so cute. How can an 18 year old boy that is actually 1,007 years older than her be this cute? “Actually no, I think that Sungyeol isn’t-“ She then quickly covered when she realized what she was about to say.

Myungsoo raised an eyebrow. “What were you about to say?” he asked. Yoomi shook her head. “Sungyeol isn’t what?” Yoomi shook her head again. Now he was beyond curious about that sentence that she didn’t finish. “Come on, please tell me~” he whined.

Yoomi shook her head, stood up, and ran away downstairs. Myungsoo was left dumbfounded that she just left like that. “Yah, Song Yoomi! What were you about to say?!” He waited to see if she would come back or even just answer him, but she didn’t.

“Aish, seriously…” He ruffled his hair in frustration. “What was she about to say?!”


 

“Yah, Song Yoomi,” Myungsoo said as he approached her. “What were you about to say before?”

Yoomi didn’t look at him and continued cooking. “I wasn’t about to say anything,” she replied. “Now go away, I have to finish cooking.”

Myungsoo pouted. “Come on, tell me please~” He gave her the puppy dog eyes and rested his chin on her shoulder.

Yoomi instantly blushed and was grateful that she was still wearing her glasses so that it covered it a little. “Myungsoo, I really wasn’t about to say anything.”

“But you were!” he accused. “You were about to say that Sungyeol wasn’t something, and I want to know what that something is!”

She faced him. “Myungsoo, stop being so childish. I really wasn’t going to say anything.”

“You’re calling me childish when you’re the one who wears fake glasses to make yourself look smarter.”

“Hey, these are cool,” she said while pointing at her glasses.

“They don’t even have lenses,” he pointed out.

“Just because they don’t have lenses, it doesn’t mean that they’re not cool.” She took her glasses off and wore it on him. “There, now how do you feel?”

Myungsoo furrowed his eyebrows. “What am I suppose to feel?” he asked back.

“Don’t you feel smarter?” she asked again. Myungsoo shook his head. Yoomi sighed at his reaction. “Here, if you see yourself then maybe you’ll feel it.” She took out her phone and showed him his reflection.

Myungsoo looked at his reflection and was shocked. “Wow… I really do look smarter,” he said, looking awed by his own reflection. “Can I keep this?” he asked as he pointed at her glasses.

“No,” she replied without skipping a beat. “You can borrow it if you want, but you can’t keep it.”

“Why not?”

“Because I like looking smart!” She tried to get her glasses back, but he turned away.

“No, I’m going to wear it for the rest of the day,” he said. “I like looking smart also!”

Yoomi huffed. “Fine, but you’re giving it back later on,” she said as she pointed a finger at him.

Myungsoo nodded like a little puppy. “But what do you think of me with these glasses on?” he asked. “Do I look cute?”

Yoomi looked at him. He was smiling his dimple smile again and it made her blush, again. It didn’t help that the big glasses made him look even cuter when it’s on his small face. “N-no,” she lied.

“Ay~, stop lying. You’re blushing,” he said with a smug smile. He was extremely happy that he made her blush.

“No, I’m not,” she denied again. She finished cooking and put the plates on the table. “Now are you going to eat or not? If not then I’ll eat everything.”

Myungsoo pouted. “How can you even think like that?” he asked in disbelief. “You’re actually willing to let your best friend starve to death while you eat everything?”

“Of course, I cooked this so I have a right to eat all of it by myself,” she said. She then stuck her tongue out at him.

“You’re such a piggy,” he said as he sat down across from her.

“Yeah, a piggy that cooks you breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even late night snacks.” She sat down and picked up her French toast. “You should seriously pay me more or reduce all of that from my debt to you.” She took a bite out of it and chewed happily. *This is so good,* she thought in her head.

“But you’re not even mentioning the part where you’re staying at my house for free,” he said, emphasizing the word free. He looked at her and saw that she was busy eating her toast. “Yah, are you even listening?”

Yoomi stopped eating and looked up. “What were you saying?” she asked with full.

“Seriously, you’re such a piggy,” he said.

Yoomi pouted. “No I’m not,” she said. “It’s just that this tastes so good. It was such a good idea to try making this.” She smiled happily as she started eating again.

Myungsoo smiled as he watched her. “You’re such a piggy,” he repeated. Yoomi wasn’t even listening and continued eating. He kept smiling.*But you’re the cutest piggy ever.*


 

That line in the end was so cheesy.X0

But I hope that you guys still liked the chapter. I hope that it wasn't boring or anything.^^