A Day with Gikwang

An Inventor's Mistake

“Woah…” Yoomi’s mouth was agape. “Did you get bombarded with chocolates while I was in the bathroom?”

Myungsoo was sitting in front of his desk that had a massive pile of chocolate on it. Some of them were placed in cute boxes with bows on top, some were in small gift bags with each of them having different designs, and others – but not many – were actually placed in a basket with many different types of chocolates in them. The sight of the sweet chocolate gifts themselves were already giving Yoomi cavities, and she couldn’t even imagine what would happen if a single person ate all of them at once.

“Yeah,” Myungsoo replied while chewing a piece of chocolate in his mouth. “I think I broke a record this year. This is the most chocolate I have ever got before in my whole entire life. It even beats all of the other Valentine’s Days.” He then swallowed the chocolate before plopping another piece into his mouth.

“Actually, Valentine’s Day is tomorrow,” she corrected.

Myungsoo shrugged and continued eating his chocolate. “But I guess I’m too handsome and charming, so Valentine’s Day came early today with all of the girls giving me gifts.”

He proudly showed her the mountain of chocolate gifts on his desk and she just sighed while shaking her head in the process. In her head, she couldn’t believe how it seemed like Myungsoo became even vainer as the days went by. “Myungsoo, you have to stop being so arrogant,” she said.

Myungsoo frowned out of disappointment when she said that. He thought that maybe he would be able to evoke some jealousy in her by showing her what the other girls gave him, but it seems like it did not have that effect whatsoever. Yoomi then went to her seat next to him and sat down. As soon as she sat down, Myungsoo picked up a piece of chocolate and brought it to . “Ah~,” he said.

She furrowed her eyebrows at him with a confused expression on her face. “What are you doing?” she asked.

“Feeding you chocolate with my beautiful hands,” he answered. “You should take this chance to be fed by me because when will you ever have another handsome man like me to feed you?”

Yoomi rolled her eyes at him and smiled teasingly. “Ahjussi,” she said, much to his dislike. “You know that you’re not that handsome, right?”

Myungsoo frowned. “But I am,” he retorted. He then continued holding the piece of chocolate in front of . “Ah~” He opened his mouth, indicating that she should do the same.

Yoomi looked at him, then at the chocolate, then back at him again. She then ignored him and reached over to take another piece instead. Myungsoo saw what she was doing and quickly, but lightly, slapped her hand before it could reach the box of chocolates. She then instantly retreated her hand as she frowned at him.

“Song Yoomi,” Myungsoo said. “You cannot take the chocolate unless I give it to you.” He then brought the piece of chocolate to again. “Now say ah.”

Yoomi scrunched her face up at him and turned her head the other way. “Nope, no thank you,” she said. “I don’t want any of your chocolates, ahjussi.” She stuck her tongue out at him before taking out a few small boxes from her bag and standing up.

“Yah, stop calling me ahjussi,” he said. He then grumpily ate the piece of chocolate – which he tried to feed to Yoomi before – because of the fact that she had clearly rejected it. As he was harshly chewing the chocolate in his mouth, he saw her walking towards the door of the classroom with the small boxes in her hands. “Where are you going?” he asked.

“I’m going to give the others their Valentine chocolates since I can’t see them tomorrow,” she replied as she stopped and turned around to face him. She then held up one of the white boxes with a neatly tied bow on top to show him.

“Did you make them yourself?”

 Yoomi nodded and placed the box back on top of the others. “It’s the first time that I’m ever giving another person – besides from my dad of course – chocolates on Valentine’s Day.” Myungsoo saw her smiling and knew that she was excited at that moment. *I bet that she will say that she’s really excited in 3… 2… 1…* “And I’m really excited!” she said with genuine excitement and enthusiasm in her voice.

Myungsoo smiled to himself when it turned out that he was correct. “You’re so predictable, Song Yoomi,” he quietly.

“Huh? What was that?”

Myungsoo looked up at her and shook his head. “Nothing,” he replied. “But…” He eyed the chocolate boxes in her hands. “…where’s mine? You can just give it to me now since I’m already here.”

“Oh…” She looked at the boxes before looking back at him. “I don’t have it.”

Myungsoo was a little taken aback by what she said. “Wait, what? You don’t have mine?”

Yoomi shook her head. “It’s not on me right now,” she replied.

“Then where is it?”

“I’m not going to tell you.”

“Why not?”

“Because I can just give it to you later.”

“But I want it now.”

“But you can’t have it now.”

“Why not?”

“Because I need to give the others theirs first and…” she looked at the clock. “… I still have 37 minutes to find them all.” She then held a hand up and waved at him. “Bye Myungsoo ahjussi, I’ll see you later.” After the quick goodbye, she immediately turned around and went out of the door.

“Yah, Song Yoomi. Are you leaving me again?!”

He waited for an answer or even response from her, but he wasn’t surprised when he didn’t get one. “She left me again,” he said while frowning. “Yah, Song Yoomi!”

He got up from his seat and quickly went over to the door in the attempt of catching up to her, but that attempt was momentarily stopped when one girl stepped in front of him. “Woah!” Myungsoo quickly stopped in his tracks before his momentum could ram him into the girl. When he had stopped and was able to get a good look of the girl, he instantly started frowning.

He then sighed in frustration when he saw the girl that he wanted to catch up to had already disappeared around the corner of the hallway and looked at the girl in front of him with an annoyed face. “Please move,” he said in the most polite voice he could manage, even though his tone clearly showed that he was irritated.

Heajung didn’t say anything and instead smiled as she held out a medium sized box with a pink bow on top out in front of him.

Myungsoo looked at the box with furrowed eyebrows. “What’s this?”

“It’s Valentine’s Day chocolate,” she answered. “Take it.”

Myungsoo looked at her in disbelief before scoffing. “Don’t you remember me telling you that I won’t ever accept your Valentine chocolates again?” he asked her. “What would make you think that I have any intention to accept anything from you after I said something like that?”

Heajung pouted and pulled his hand out before placing the box onto his palm. “Just take it,” she said. “I made it especially for you.”

Myungsoo furrowed his eyebrows again. He couldn’t believe that this girl actually thought that he would accept her gift to him. He thought that she had gotten the message by now, but it seems not since she was now seemingly trying to force him to take the chocolate. “I don’t want it,” he said. He tried giving it back to her, but she dodged his attempts to avoid taking the gift back.

“Just take it,” she said again. “I’m a really good cook. I bet that you will instantly fall for me once you eat and taste how amazing my homemade chocolates are.”

Myungsoo froze from what she said. It was not because he was feeling anything positive. Nope, it was more like he was confused and also in disbelief about how this girl still thought that he would fall for her. *Is this girl crazy or something? Does she still think that she can make me fall for her?*

Heajung saw him not moving and smiled happily, thinking that her words affected him in a positive way and maybe even made his heart skip-a-beat. “Bye Myungsoo!” she said with a cheerful voice. “Happy Valentine’s Day!” She then winked as she blew a kiss directed at him.

Myungsoo then immediately shivered from what he saw and could feel the goose bumps forming on his skin. He then looked around for any signs of people before dropping her gift onto the ground and running away from the box like it was something deadly. “Aish, if Yoomi was here then I could have made her help me in that situation,” he muttered to himself.

As he was running, he was already intending on finding Yoomi so he started looking around every part of the school to do so. “Sunggyu, did you see Yoomi around?” he asked while panting. He hadn’t stopped running since he had started at the 2nd floor of the school where he had abandoned the boxed gift that Heajung tried to give him, and was now at the library which was on the 1st floor. And also if you’re wondering then yup, he had searched for her from every corner of the 2nd floor, but still wasn’t able to find her.

“Yoomi?” Sunggyu said as he started to think. “She came here not too long ago to give me this.” He held up the box that Myungsoo remembered as one of the boxes that Yoomi was carrying before. “She also gave it to the others too before leaving.”

Sunggyu gestured to Sungyeol and Dongwoo who looked like they were trying to secretly eat the chocolates that Yoomi gave them without the librarian knowing. The library did have a strict no eating rule after all, and obviously they didn’t want to get caught.

“Which way did she go?” Myungsoo asked.

Sunggyu took a moment as he tried to remember. “I’m pretty sure that she went left,” he replied.

Myungsoo nodded and gave him a small thanks before leaving. “Left, left, left…” He jogged out of the library and turned left. “Left, left, left…” he kept repeating to himself. When he arrived at a certain part of the hallway, he finally saw the one person that he was looking for this whole time. He then smiled and was about to walk up to her when another person came into view. This time, he saw the one person that got on his nerves more than anybody else… Lee Gikwang.

“So what do you think?” Gikwang said to her with a big smile. “Do you want to go out with me tomorrow?”

Myungsoo heard what Gikwang said and scoffed to himself. He would have just stormed up to them and pulled Yoomi away, but something told him to wait. So he did and he hid behind the wall as he eavesdropped on their conversation.

“Um…” he could hear Yoomi say. “I don’t know.” She sounded unsure of her own answer.

“Come on, please~” Gikwang said. “I really want to go somewhere with a friend tomorrow since it’s Valentine’s Day.” Myungsoo poked his head out a little and took a peek at them. He could see Gikwang pouting at her and knew that he was trying to convince her to go with him.

“But…” Yoomi started to say. “I was planning on spending tomorrow with Myungsoo, but since you’re saying this then maybe we can all go together.”

“I’m not sure about that…” Gikwang rubbed the back of his head. “He doesn’t seem to like me that much,” he said. “And besides, I bet that he has plans tomorrow. All of the girls try to ask him out almost every day, and even more of them do that on Valentine’s Day.”

Yoomi nodded as she listened to him. “You do have a point,” she said. She then stood there for a moment before her shoulders dropped. “You’re right; I bet that he has someone that he wants to spend tomorrow with.”

*Yeah, it’s you,* Myungsoo thought. *So reject him, reject him, reject him…* He repeated those words in his head like it could make her say no to Gikwang’s date offer.

“Then I guess…” she started to say. Myungsoo’s ears perked up as he listened intently for her answer. “…that I can go with you then.”

Myungsoo could feel his heart shattering while Gikwang smiled like it was the greatest day of his life. “Then I’ll meet you tomorrow,” he said, excitement evident in his voice. He brought out his phone and asked for hers. “Let’s exchange numbers so that I can tell you where to meet up.” Yoomi nodded and also took out her phone.

*Song Yoomi, I did not buy you a phone just for you to make plans with another guy,* Myungsoo angrily thought to himself. He watched as the two of them were talking to each other until he couldn’t take it anymore. “I wish that I could just take her away from that guy,” he muttered. “But… I’m not even her boyfriend to have the right to do something like that.” He then sighed before leaving the area with a tight feeling in his chest.


 

“Are you…” Myungsoo glanced at Yoomi as they were walking out towards the gate. “…going anywhere tomorrow?”

Yoomi nodded in reply. “Yeah, I have plans with Gikwang tomorrow,” she said. A teasing smile then grew onto her face. “And I bet that you’ve made plans with the girl that you like, right?” She was expecting him to say yes with a big smile on his face, but instead he shook his head and sighed. She then furrowed her eyebrows at his actions and looked at him with a confused face. “Wait… so you didn’t make any plans with her?”

“I was going to,” he started. “But some other guy beat me to it.”

“Really?” She had on a surprised expression.

Myungsoo nodded. “That’s why you shouldn’t go with Gikwang tomorrow,” he said. “I’ve already made plans and everything; I can’t let them go to waste.” His tone then became more serious. “Forget about Gikwang and go on a date with me instead.”

Yoomi could feel her heart racing as it started to beat faster. “W-What?”

Myungsoo stopped walking and turned to her. “Go on a date with me tomorrow,” he repeated.

Yoomi froze for a moment before speaking again. “But… I made plans with Gikwang…”

“Then cancel them,” he said. “Tell him that you’re not going with him tomorrow.”

“I can’t do that, I’ve already made plans…” she mumbled.

Myungsoo sighed and decided to use his last resort. “Yoomi, do you remember when I won those bets and you ended up giving me two wishes that I saved all this time?”

Yoomi nodded as she remembered. “Yeah, I do,” she replied. “But you totally cheated though.”

“That doesn’t matter,” he said. “I still have two wishes, and I want to use one of them now.” He then smiled at her before stating his wish. “Song Yoomi, my wish is for you to ditch that Lee Gikwang and tell him that you’re instead going somewhere with me.”


 

Yoomi remembered Myungsoo’s wish as she sighed while staring at her phone screen. It was already Valentine’s Day, and she had texted Gikwang about having to go somewhere with Myungsoo since it was his wish. She felt really bad when she was typing her text, but at the same time she was sort of excited to spend the day with Myungsoo. But then again, that sort of excitement only made her feel even worse as she waited to see if Gikwang would reply. Suddenly, a beep that notified a text message came from her phone as the reply from Gikwang flashed onto the screen.

“You’re going somewhere with Myungsoo today?” his message read.

“Yeah, I’m so sorry… Are you mad?” She tapped the send button and continued waiting for a message.

“No, I’m not. Just disappointed.”

Yoomi read his message and started feeling even worse. “I’m sorry,” she texted again.

“Don’t be sorry, we can just go somewhere next Valentine’s Day.  I’ll make plans and everything.”

“But I won’t be here next Valentine’s Day…” she muttered. The truth dawned on her as she remembered that she had to leave soon. She felt so comfortable living in this time period that the thought of having to return home had completely slipped out of her mind. “If I cancel my plans with Gikwang today, wouldn’t that mean that his plans to spend time together for next Valentine’s Day would never come?” She continued looking at Gikwang’s message, not knowing what to do. “But Gikwang is my friend though…”

She thought about it for a while before guilt had won over her. “I should just go with Gikwang today,” she finally decided. “I don’t really get to see him that often and I see Myungsoo all of the time.” She then nodded to herself. “That’s right, this is the right decision. I don’t get to see Gikwang that much so I should hang out with him today.”

After finally making up her mind, she immediately started texting Gikwang. “Actually, I think that I can go with you today.”

A reply came almost instantly and it said, “That’s awesome! I guess that I don’t have to stay at home and play video games by myself today. ”

Yoomi smiled as the guilt that she was feeling started to disappear, but then something else came into her mind. “But what am I going to say to Myungsoo?” she asked herself. She took a moment to think about an excuse and kept repeating Myungsoo’s wish in her head. “Wait a minute…” Her eyes widened when she found a loop hole in his wish. “I think I know what to say to him.”


 

Myungsoo waited at the front door for Yoomi to come down. He took forever to pick out an outfit, but in the end he was pretty satisfied with what he chose. He then took out his phone and checked his reflection using the camera app. “Kim Myungsoo…” he said while fixing his hair. “You look pretty nice today.” He flashed a smile at the screen before putting his phone back into his pocket.

“I hope that she thinks the same too,” he muttered.

He then went over to the couch and sat down while taking glances at the staircase. A jittery feeling could be felt in his stomach as the excitement from thinking about spending time with Yoomi for the day took over him.

“We’re spending time together on Valentine’s day. The day where couples would go out and show their affection for each other…” he said to himself. At that thought, a big, goofy grin grew on his face and no matter how hard he tried, it wouldn’t go away.

After waiting for another few minutes, he started feeling a little thirsty and got up to get a drink in the kitchen. He got out a mug from the cabinet and poured himself some water before turning around just to find a very suspicious looking person trying her best to walk quietly towards the front door. “Song Yoomi,” he called.

Yoomi stopped in her tracks and froze. She wouldn’t even move an inch, most likely because she was surprised to hear him call her name all of a sudden. “Where are you going?” he asked. He placed his mug down onto a table and looked at her with narrowed eyes.

She slowly turned towards him and cleared . “I’m going to go meet Gikwang,” she replied.

Myungsoo instantly furrowed his eyebrows. “Wait, what?” he said. “You’re going somewhere with me today, not Gikwang. That was my wish and you can’t go against it.”

“Actually, your wish was that I have to ditch Gikwang and tell him that I would instead go somewhere with you,” she said. “And I did tell him that I would go somewhere with you.”

“I also told you to ditch him,” he said while crossing his arms.

“But I did ditch him,” she said. “For a few hours, I was abandoning him and planning on going with you instead, so that counts as ditching.”

“No it does not.”

“But it does.”

“No it doesn’t,” he said again.

“Yes it does,” she retorted stubbornly. “Also, I was thinking that we can all go together.”

Myungsoo raised an eyebrow. “You want me to come with you two?”

Yoomi nodded with a smile. “Yeah,” she answered. “We can be like a trio.”

Myungsoo scoffed in disbelief. “There’s no way that I’m going to be a trio with that guy,” he said.

Yoomi frowned at his reply. “Hey, you don’t have to be so mean to Gikwang,” she said. “But are you really not going?”

Myungsoo shook his head. “Nope, like I said before, there’s no way that I’m going anywhere with that guy.” He crossed his arms stubbornly and didn’t look like he had any intention to accept her offer.

“Alright then…” She took an unsure glance at him before going over to the door and starting to wear her shoes.

“Wait, are you actually going?” he asked.

Yoomi nodded. “I feel bad if I don’t go since he had made plans and everything,” she replied.

“But I made plans too!”

She looked at him apologetically. “Sorry Myungsoo,” she said. “Maybe you can try asking the girl that you like. Who knows, maybe she canceled her plans or something.”

Myungsoo made a face. “There’s no need,” he said. “She already stood me up… again.”

“Again?” Yoomi asked with a confused face. “What do you mean ‘again’? Did you ask her out twice or something?” Myungsoo didn’t know how to answer the question, but luck was on his side since she ended up ignoring her own question for the reason of running a little late. “Sorry Myungsoo, maybe we can go somewhere tomorrow instead. Oh, and try asking her out again. Maybe she’ll agree to go with you this time since, you know, third time’s the charm right?” She then waved at him before leaving the house.

“But I already know that she won’t spend time alone with me…”

He looked at the closed door feeling sad, disappointed, angry, and much more from knowing that Yoomi wanted to go with Gikwang instead of him. “Why did she choose him over me?” he asked nobody in particular. “She knows me way more and I’m her best friend, so wouldn’t it make sense for her to choose me over him?”

He stood there for a moment when a thought came into his head. “I can’t let this happen,” he said to himself. “I can’t leave her alone with him.”

Without wasting any time, he quickly went upstairs and got everything that he needed before sprinting out of the house to find Yoomi.


 

“Sorry, am I late?” Yoomi asked as she ran up to Gikwang.

Gikwang chuckled when he saw her panting and shook his head. “Not at all,” he replied. “There was no need to run.”

“Really?” Yoomi continued panting. “I ran the whole way though.”

Gikwang was surprised by what she said. “You ran all the way here?” he asked in disbelief. “Then let me get you water or something.”

He was about to go buy water for her when she stopped him. “No, it’s okay,” she said while still trying to catch her breath. “I’m fine.”

Gikwang looked at her uneasily. “Are you sure?” he asked.

Yoomi nodded and replied, “Yeah, I’m sure.” She then smiled as her breathing came back to normal.

“Then… should we go?” he asked.

Yoomi nodded and he started leading her to the place that he had planned for the day. They then arrived at an ice skating rink and he stopped before turning towards her. “Woah…” she said with a big smile. “We’re going to ice skate today?”

“Yup,” he replied. “Do you know how to ice skate?”

“Yeah, I do,” she answered.

“Really?” he said in surprise. “Man, I thought that maybe you didn’t so that I could teach you.”

He sighed and acted like he was extremely disappointed, which made her laugh in the end. He then smiled when he saw her laugh and pointed at the skate rental. “Should we go rent some skates now?” he asked. Yoomi nodded in reply and they headed towards the desk to get their skates.

“Lee Gikwang…” Myungsoo watched them while staying hidden in a crowd of people. “You want to teach her how to skate, huh?” He then scoffed as he glared at Gikwang. “Well, it’s a good thing that she knows how to skate or you would have taken that chance to move in on her.”

He continued glaring at Gikwang as he and Yoomi were renting out their skates. He then noticed a presence next to him and turned to see a rather scared looking guy staring at him. “What?” he asked him.

“N-Nothing,” the guys said looking intimidated. “It’s just that… you’re talking to yourself.”

“Is there anything wrong with talking to myself?” Myungsoo asked with a raised eyebrow.

The guy saw Myungsoo’s unreadable expression and his piercing gaze before immediately retreating. “N-No, not at all,” the guy replied. He then started to create some distance between them, trying to get as far away from Myungsoo as possible.

Myungsoo focused his attention back to Gikwang and Yoomi just in time to see them heading into the skating rink area. After making sure that they were gone, he quickly went over to the counter and rented his skates before going in after them.

“Yoomi, do you want me to help you tie your skates?” Gikwang asked as they sat down on a bench.

Yoomi shook her head. “No, it’s okay,” she replied. She started tying her skates by herself, but they ended up being pretty messy and loose.

Gikwang chuckled after seeing her failed attempt of tying her own skates. He then knelt down in front of her, after he finished tying his own shoes, and started untying her shoelaces. Myungsoo saw his actions and immediately widened his eyes. “That Lee Gikwang…” he muttered under his breath. “What does he think that he’s doing?”

“Gikwang, you don’t have to tie them for me,” Yoomi said. “I already tied them myself.”

“But they were way too loose,” he replied. “If you tie them that loose then you’ll get hurt.” He smiled at her before continuing to tie her skates.

Suddenly, he felt a presence standing next to him and looked up to see a man wearing a face mask and glasses that concealed most of his face. It made the man look rather suspicious; not to mention that he was also wearing the hood of his jacket all the way over his head, which casted a shadow over his eyes, making it harder to tell what he looks like.

“Excuse me, sir,” the man said in a deep voice. “Would you mind helping me tie my skates?”

Gikwang looked at him with a confused expression before smiling politely. “I’m sorry, but I’m in the middle of tying my friend’s skates right now,” he subtly declined.

“But I need help,” the man continued. “I have no clue as to how I can tie these things.”

Gikwang was then about to decline again when Yoomi spoke up. “Gikwang,” she started. “You can go help him. I can just tie my own.”

Gikwang looked at her with an unsure expression. “Are you sure?” he asked. Yoomi nodded and proceeded to try to tie her own skates again.

Gikwang then sighed and looked up at the man before following him to another bench. “You don’t know how to tie your own skates?” he asked as he knelt down and started tying the man’s shoelaces.

“No, not at all,” the man answered.

Gikwang finished tying his skates after a minute or two, and smiled up at the man. “There, I’m done,” he said. “Have a nice time skating.” He waved at the man and walked up to Yoomi. “Yoomi, are you done yet?”

Yoomi shook her head since she was still in the middle of tying her skates. “I’m still trying to make them as tight as possible,” she replied. “You can go in first. I’ll find you once I’m done.”

“Are you sure?” he asked.

Yoomi nodded and waved for him to go in. “Yeah,” she answered. “I don’t want you to wait for me when you can just start having fun in there first.”

Gikwang looked unsure if he should go or not, but she kept trying to convince him to go in by himself first. “Alright fine,” he said, defeated by her stubbornness. “I’ll go in first.”

Yoomi smiled and waved at him. “Have fun,” she said. “I’ll meet up with you once I’m done with this.” Gikwang nodded and waved back at her before walking towards the ice, stepping onto it, and started skating away.

Yoomi then sighed and looked down at her skates. “This is so annoying,” she mumbled as she continued trying to tie it correctly.

“Do you need help with that?” a deep voice said.

Yoomi looked up and saw the man that Gikwang had helped just a little while ago. “No, I think I can do it by myself,” she said with a smile. She then tried to tie her skates once again, but failed. “Darn it…” she said with a frustrated sigh.

She was about to try again when the man suddenly knelt down in front of her and took the shoelaces in his hands before starting to tie them. She was quite surprised when she saw the man tying her skates for her since just a moment ago, she had seen Gikwang helping him tie his own skates. Not to mention that after he was done, her skates seemed perfectly tied and were not lose nor messy at all.

“Don’t be too surprised that I know how to tie them,” the man said as if reading her mind. “I just learned pretty quickly since I saw the other guy do it.”

The man then left before she could even mutter a word of thanks and she watched him as he disappeared onto the ice mysteriously. No matter how hard she tried to find the mysterious man, she couldn’t since it seemed like he was able to completely mix with the crowds that were skating on the ice.

“That mean is really strange,” she muttered. She then stood up and headed towards the ice rink to find Gikwang.


 

I finally updated again! *applause, confetti throw* Sorry for it being so boring and not that great. I think that I got rusty from not writing in so long.

And, yes, I know that Valentine's Day was last Saturday, but I wasn't able to finish this on time for Saturday. But at least I got it finished by today, so here it is!^^ Also, this is only the first part, so the second part would be released as soon as I finish it - hopefully tomorrow or sometime this weekend.

Last, but not least, thank you so much kireeyn for upvoting!^^