Heajung and the Rooftop

An Inventor's Mistake

“Yoomi,” Myungsoo called.

Yoomi looked up from her food just in time to notice a spoon filled with rice and a piece of meat placed on top, held out in front of her face. It didn’t take her long to figure out what he was trying to do before scrunching her face and shaking her head.

He saw her response to him and immediately frowned. “Why not?” he asked.

“We’re in the cafeteria where everyone can see us,” she answered. “And especially…” She looked at all of the Infinite members that were sitting there, staring at them in a very conspicuous way.

Myungsoo saw her eyeing then and cleared his throat after realizing that their friends had been watching them the whole time. He then brought his spoon back towards himself, but not without a pout forming on his face.

“I still can’t get used to it,” Sungjong said as his eyes went back and forth between the two love birds in front of him. “Myungsoo being this mushy towards a girl and declaring that Yoomi is his girlfriend…” He continued staring at the both of them. “…it’s just so weird.”

“Get used to it,” Woohyun said. “It had already been a few weeks since they’ve declared that they’re going out.”

“But it’s still weird,” Sungjong said. “This is the first time that I’ve ever seen Myungsoo try to feed someone, and not to mention out in public.”

“Well, I guess that he picked up that trait from me,” Woohyun said. “I taught him everything about wooing a girl’s heart, right Myungsoo?” He turned over to the boy that was questioned and started throwing hearts at him with a cheesy smile.

Myungsoo watched Woohyun doing his famous aegyo, scrunched his face up in disgust, and shook his head. “No, not at all,” he replied. “And please stop doing that. Don’t make me lose my appetite or I would become very grouchy later on and I’ll take it out on you.”

Woohyun stopped throwing hearts at him and scowled. “Fine, fine, I won’t do it. Happy?”

“Yes, very,” he replied with a fake smile.

“But how did this happen anyway?” Hoya asked. “Since when did you guys start liking each other?”

Myungsoo and Yoomi looked at one another, not knowing how to answer. Neither of them even knew when they started having feelings for the other, so that also meant that they didn’t know why it happened either. “We don’t know,” they both said in unison.

“You guys really don’t know?” Sungyeol asked.

“Of course they don’t know,” Sunggyu butted in. “A lot of times the feeling of liking someone comes and kicks you in the face without a single warning or explanation. It just happens, so it makes sense for neither of them to know.”

“Wow, Sunggyu,” Dongwoo said with the look of amazement in his eyes. “How do you even know that?”

Sunggyu saw how amazed Dongwoo looked after witnessing his ‘intelligent’ statement and a slight brush of arrogance came over him. “Well, I am pretty wi—“

“We all know that Sunggyu has experience with this topic, so of course he can say something like that,” Woohyun interrupted. “Don’t you remember?” He placed a hand on Sunggyu’s shoulder. “Our grandpa over here got rejected by a girl two years ago and the most recent that he had been rejected was…” He cupped a hand over his mouth and started whispering. “…last week.”

Sunggyu glared at the boy next to him. “I did not get rejected last week,” he defended himself. “She just… denied my invitation to go to a café together, but that does not count as being rejected!”

“Yes it does. It totally does,” Sungyeol said while laughing. “Haha! I can’t believe that you got rejected again!”

Sunggyu glared at him also, which caused for him to flinch. “Alright, alright, you didn’t get rejected. Sheesh,” Sungyeol said. He then turned over to Yoomi and pointed at Sunggyu with his thumb. “He always becomes sensitive after being rejected. It’s quite annoying, really.”

She started chuckling at what he said, but that chuckle died down when a certain person walked over to their table and stood in front of her with crossed arms. “Song Yoomi,” the person said.

Myungsoo heard the voice and knew exactly who it was, but he was not happy at all that the person was there. “Oh, Heajung!” he heard Yoomi say in her usual friendly voice.

“Can you come with me for a moment? I need to tell you something,” Heajung said.

“Sure,” Yoomi replied without hesitating. “Just let me finish my lunch fir—“

“No,” Heajung interrupted. “You can finish your lunch after talking with me. Let’s go.”

She abruptly grabbed Yoomi’s arm and started pulling her. “But wait, my lunch!” Yoomi said, looking not at all happy that she wasn’t able to finish her meal.

“Just eat it later,” Heajung snapped back, completely annoyed.

Heajung continued pulling at Yoomi’s arm when she suddenly heard a very firm, yet cold voice that made her stop what she was doing.

“Hey, stop. Stop pulling her. You have no right to even touch her,” Myungsoo said.

Heajung turned towards him. “This is something between her and me,” she said. “Please don’t in.”

“But I have every right to in,” he said. “I’m her boyfriend, and I do not have any intention of letting my girlfriend get hurt in any way.”

A look of hurt washed over Heajung’s face before it turned to anger. “This is between me and her,” she repeated. “She won’t get hurt so don’t in.”

Myungsoo was about to retort, but Yoomi spoke up before he could. “Yeah Myungsoo, I’ll be fine,” she said. “There’s no need to worry.”

He faced Yoomi and his expression instantly softened. “But she might hurt you,” he said. “You know what she did before.”

“It’ll be fine. I believe that she won’t hurt me,” she said before turning towards Heajung. “Okay Heajung, let’s go now.” Heajung didn’t say anything and started pulling Yoomi again after taking one last glance at Myungsoo.

Myungsoo watched them walk away with gritted teeth. “That idiot, she always thinks that Heajung would change and be good for once, but we all know that that girl won’t change even if she was threatened to be thrown into a lava pit by a talking volcano!”

Hoya placed a hand on his shoulder. “Calm down,” he said. “Maybe she has changed. We don’t know what’s going through her mind after all.”

“That’s right, we don’t know,” Myungsoo said. “For all we know, she might be hurting Yoomi at this very moment!” He threw the spoon that he was holding down onto his tray and got up. “I’m going to follow them and make sure that not a single strand of Yoomi’s hair would get touched by that girl.”

“Myungsoo, stop,” Sunggyu said. “It’s something between Heajung and Yoomi. You need to let them resolve it between themselves.”

“But Yoomi will get hurt!” he shouted. “That girl bullied her and framed her for something that she never did! Who knows what she has in mind now?!”

Sunggyu looked a little conflicted, but he stayed firm with what he said before. “But we still have to let them settle this between themselves. It’s their conflict, not ours. If we don’t let them handle it by themselves, how will they ever learn how solve their own problems without another person’s intervention?”

Sunggyu’s words seemed to have some sort of impact on him, but it wasn’t enough to stop him from going. “Yeah, well I don’t care about that right now. All I care about is her safety. Her safety is my number one priority.”

He started towards the direction that the two girls went and no one could stop him at that time, not even Sunggyu’s words. “Where in the world is she?” he said as he looked around the school for her, anxiety slowly growing. He picked up his pace and went through all of the hallways that they could have gone to, but not a single one of those hallways contained them.

“They’re not even on the second floor. Where in the world did they go?”

He stood there, growing more worried by the second, when a thought suddenly struck him. He then looked up at the ceiling and a sudden rush of realization caused for his eyes to widen. “Rooftop,” he said.

Without a second thought, he started running towards the stairs that led to the very top of the school. The rooftop was not a good place in his opinion. Sure, it was nice when you go up there with your friends to hang out, but it could be downright dangerous to go up there with a bully. The walls surrounding it weren’t even that high which meant that anyone could climb over them and look down at the world below them from a very high standing point. And if you go up there with an enemy, who knows what might happen.

“Ah!”

He heard a yell, making him stop in his tracks. He was still climbing the stairs towards the roof, but it wouldn’t be long before he finally reached his destination. “Yoomi,” he muttered. Words could not describe how worried and frightened he had become, thinking that the yell might have come from her. “Yoomi!” he shouted.

He dashed up the stairs as fast as he could and burst through the door. “Yoomi! Where are you? Are you okay?!”

He frantically looked around the rooftop until he laid eyes on a very questioning scene happening in front of him. “Yoomi?” he slowly asked. Somewhere deep inside him he was feeling beyond happy and relieved that he had found her and that she looked completely unscathed, but at the moment those feelings were completely overshadowed by something else.

“Why are you… putting Heajung in a headlock?” he continued.

Yup, Heajung was in a headlock. He didn’t know what happened and how she ended up that way, but what he did know was that the scream from before was actually from Heajung, not Yoomi. She probably screamed when she was trying to get out of Yoomi’s headlock since when he first saw them, he could see her struggling to get out of Yoomi’s arm’s grip on her neck. And now that he thought more about it, the voice from before didn’t sound anything like Yoomi’s, but he was too blinded by worry to notice.

“Oh, um…” Yoomi looked down at Heajung and made eye contact with her. It seemed like they were conversing through their eyes and asking the other what they should say before Heajung finally spoke up.

“Nothing!” she replied in a high pitched voice along with a nervous laugh. “Nothing at all! We were just playing around with each other, right Yoomi?

There was a second of hesitation before Yoomi went along with it. “Yeah, we were just playing around,” she agreed.

Heajung let out another small, yet nervous, laugh when she realized that Yoomi released her arm from around her neck so that she could stand up straight again. “Well, I should get going now. Goodbye, Myungsoo!” she waved at him and started towards the door.

But as she walked past him, he could see that she gave a slight glare at Yoomi even though she tried her best to only let Yoomi see it. He then narrowed his eyes at the door where she left before looking over at his girlfriend. “What happened?” he questioned.

Yoomi didn’t say anything for a moment before shaking her head and smiling. “Nothing at all,” she answered. “Like I said before, we were just playing around and conversing. That’s all.”

He looked at her skeptically. “Is that really all?” he continued to question. “Did she do anything to you?”

Yoomi shook her head in response before changing the subject. “But is lunch over yet? I’m still really hungry. I didn’t even finish my food from before.” She pouted and rubbed her stomach. “Did the others eat my food while I was gone?”

Myungsoo thought about it before shrugging. “I’m not sure.”

“I really hope that they didn’t, but I’ll go check.”

She started walking towards the door, but he reached out to grab her arm before she could leave. “Are you sure that nothing happened?” he asked again. “And tell me the truth this time. Look into my eyes and answer me. Did she really do nothing to you?”

He saw Yoomi looking at the ground and not answering before growing a little frustrated. He could sense that she was lying, but it was so frustrating to see her not wanting to tell him the truth about what happened. “She did do something to you, didn’t she?” he asked again.

Yoomi shook her head. “No, she didn’t.”

“Then why won’t you look me in the eyes? And why in the world did you put her in a headlock? I don’t think that you two are on friendly terms to do something like that out of pure playfulness between friends.”

Yoomi looked into his eyes this time and shook her head once more. “She really didn’t do anything to me. Nothing happened. Like I said before, we were just playing around,” she said. Her hand came up and was used to push his hand off of her arm. “Just believe me. I’m really telling the truth, so stop asking me those questions when I have already answered them.”

“Bu—“

“Myungsoo,” she interrupted. “I’m telling the truth.”

She gave him a reassuring smile which made for his mouth to close, not knowing if he should continue to question her or not. Suddenly, the sound of the bell could be heard as it signaled for the end of lunch.

“We need to go in now,” she said. “Class is starting.”

She gave him a small smile and started walking back inside the building. Myungsoo was left there, still completely lost about everything. He knew that she was lying. He just knew it. But the thing was, she wouldn’t admit it herself. He also didn’t know what happened between Yoomi and Heajung before he came up there, so he had no clue why she was lying.

He knew that Yoomi wouldn’t tell him the truth even if he begged her to since she kept insisting that she and Heajung were just ‘playing around’ with each other as ‘friends’ or something, but of course he didn’t buy it. But that was when he realized that the only other person that knew the story was Heajung, the only other person that was directly involved in this. And he knew that he now had to question her whether he liked it or not.


 

“Yoomi, you should go first,” Myungsoo said after he finished packing his things into his backpack. “I need to do something before I leave.”

Yoomi looked at him curiously. “What do you have to do?” she asked. “Is it possibly…” She narrowed her eyes at him. “…detention for sleeping in class or something? If it is then I warned you that you wouldn’t get away with it, but no. You just had to make me draw fake eyes onto your eyelids just for you to sleep without the teacher noticing. It was a stupid plan and I don’t even remember why I agreed to help you.”

“You agreed to help me because you love me,” he said with a smile as he reached his hand out to pinch her cheek. “You’re my lovely chubby faced girlfriend after all and I know that you’re completely in love with me.”

She scrunched up her face at him. “I am not chubby faced,” she said.

“Yes you are; if I can pinch your cheeks then you are chubby faced,” he said.

She pouted and he instantly had the urge to capture her lips with his, which he did—or more accurately—tried. But before he was able to capture her lips she quickly raised her hand up and placed it in between them, which caused for him to kiss her palm instead.

“Stop trying to kiss me when we’re out in public,” she said with a beet red face. “It’s still embarrassing.”

“Why not?” he asked, feeling really disappointed. It wasn’t like this was the first time that he tried to kiss her out in public and had her reject it, but it was still disappointing nevertheless. “There’s no one here right now. Most of them left.”

“But still,” she said while still blushing. “I’m not used to it.”

“Fine, fine,” he said. “But you know, it’s kind of disappointing when I can’t kiss my girlfriend out in public when she’s standing right next to me looking irresistibly adorable.”

“I’m not irresistibly adorable,” she said. “But I’ll get going now. Halmeoni’s bakery isn’t open today so I’ll just go straight home.”

“Alright,” he said. “Goodbye.”

He waved at her and smiled affectionately as she waved back with two hands before disappearing around the doorway. After seeing her leave, he immediately remembered that his goal was to find Heajung and ask about what happened between her and Yoomi up on the rooftop. Right after class ended, he remembered that she told her friend, Ha… eun? Yes, her name was probably Haeun or something like that, but he remembered that she told her friend that she was going to the bathroom.

And after talking to Yoomi for that long before finally saying goodbye, he hoped that Heajung was still there. There was no one in the classroom at the time. Everyone had left, even Heajung’s friend had left, but he saw that there was still one backpack left besides from his that was left on a desk. And he knew exactly who sat at that specific desk.

“Oh, Myungsoo,” a voice said. “You’re still here.”

He looked up and saw Heajung, the one who he thought would have all of his answers about what happened on the rooftop that afternoon. “Yeah, I was waiting for you.”

He could see her looking surprised for a second before quickly switching over to giddiness. “Really? So you don’t like that ugly gir—“

“Don’t you dare call Yoomi ugly,” he said as he glared at her.

She saw his glare and cold tone and grew quiet, probably out of fear.

“I waited for you because I wanted answers.” He slowly walked towards her with squinted eyes. “What happened up there on the rooftop? Why were you in a headlock by Yoomi? You guys aren’t on friendly terms and Yoomi isn’t the type of person who would just headlock anyone unless she’s really close to them, but why was she putting you in a headlock?”

“Well…” Her eyes darted around the classroom before fixing back onto his eyes. “S-she was bullying me! She said that she wanted to fight me and then… she held me in a headlock!”

He scoffed at her in disbelief. “You think that I believe that?”

“W-Well believe it! That’s what really happened!”

“Stop lying and tell me the truth.”

“I-I’m not lying.”

He narrowed his eyes at her. “Are you not ashamed of yourself?” he asked. “The first few days that Yoomi came to this school, you threw food at her in the cafeteria in front of everyone in the building. She almost cried that day! I don’t know if she cried by herself without me knowing, but if she did then I don’t even know what I would have done to you if I found out that she cried.”

Heajung looked at him, wide-eyed, with an unreadable expression. “M-Myung—“

“And then after that you framed her,” he continued. “You framed her for stealing money from the school when you were the one who actually did it, but look at you now. Everyone found out about it. Everyone found out that you were the one who stole it and that you framed an innocent person for something that they have never done.”

“I-I…” She looked down at the ground, her head hung low and her bangs fell in front of her face.

“You’re what?” he asked with another scoff. “Are you sorry? Are you going to apologize now after not apologizing to Yoomi for this long? Are you going to say sorry?”

Heajung didn’t say anything as she remained frozen in place.

“I thought so,” he said after waiting two minutes to see if she would answer. He then picked up his backpack, slung it over his shoulder, and started towards the door.

“W-Wait!”

Myungsoo stopped and turned around. “What?” he asked, clearly annoyed.

“I’ll… tell you. I’ll tell you what really happened.”

Heajung’s expression continued to look unreadable, but he could see something in her eyes; something that looked like a small glint of guilt. He then let out a sigh of impatience before walking over to her.

He stopped a few feet in front of her and said, “I’m waiting, so tell me what really happened.”


 

Finally. Finally! I have finally updated!!! XD I'm so sorry that I've been gone for so long, but it's testing season now for me. I don't know when the next update would be, but there will be a next update!!! Hopefully soon.

But enough about me, we're back with our lovely couple, Myungsoo and Yoomi! *applause* I bet that you guys missed them didn't you, since I missed them too. But oh Myungsoo, tsk tsk tsk, always trying to do skinship out in public with Yoomi. Don't you know that Yoomi is embarrased!