Best Friends

An Inventor's Mistake

Yoomi panicked and didn't know what to do. *Is he going to kiss me?* When Myungsoo's face was only an inch away from hers, she shut her eyes, waiting for his lips to land on hers. *Don't tell me that he is really going to kiss me,* she thought.

Instead of feeling Myungsoo's lips on hers, she felt his soft lips on her nose instead. "Babo, did you really think that I was going to kiss you on the lips?" he said teasingly. 

Yoomi opened her eyes to see Myungsoo smiling playfully at her. "Wh-what, n-no," she stuttered while blushing. "But why did you lean into my face and kiss my nose? That's invading my personal space." She took a step back, but Myungsoo took a step forward. 

"I kissed you on the nose because you ran away from me. That was your punishment," he said. "And just to let you know, if you leave me again then I might actually kiss you on the lips."

"But-"

"And if you're trying to argue with me again then don't unless you want to be kissed right here and now," he said. 

Yoomi didn't say anything and stood there. "But-" she was about to say, but Myungsoo started leaning in again. She quickly used her hands to cover and said, "Okay, okay, fine. I won't argue."

Myungsoo smiled. "Good, now let's go look at the fishes," he said before taking her hand. He intertwined his hands with hers and started walking. 

"You know Myungsoo, remember when you said that all men are wolves?" she asked. 

"Yeah, what about it?" he asked back. 

"Well, I know you denied it and all, but you do kind of seem like a wolf," she replied. 

He stopped in his tracks before turning towards her. "What! I'm not a wolf!" he denied. 

"But it seems like you're getting touchy with me," she said. 

"Since when?!" he asked.

"Like the whole day," she replied. "You back hugged me, held my hand, and even kissed me on the nose. I'm pretty sure that you're getting touchy."

"It's just because of the bet that I'm doing this," he said. "Once the bet ends, I won't do that anymore."

"Alright then, but you seem like you really want to win the bet," she said. 

"Of course I want to win; I can already see your eyes in the shapes of hearts when you're looking at me. It seems like you're already falling for me," he said with a smirk. 

"What? No!" she denied. 

"Don't deny it because you know it's true," he said. 

"But I'm not falling for you!" she tried to deny again. 

"Whatever you say, but I know that I'll win the bet in the end," he said. 

They continued to argue with each other over who would win the bet until they both grew tired of it. They then walked around looking at fishes, taking pictures, and just having fun with each other. After a few hours, they finally came out of the aquarium.

"Wow, that was amazing!" Yoomi said happily. "Did you see the great white shark? I used to only read about them before, but it was so cool to see one in real life!"

Myungoo smiled. "Then did you have fun?" he asked. 

Yoomi nodded her head. "Yeah, it was incredible!" she said with a big, bright smile. She then looked around and saw that it was already dark. "Did we stay in the aquarium for that long? It's already dark out here."

"It seems like it," he replied. "Actually, there's one last thing that I want to do before we head home," he said before taking her hand and leading her somewhere. 

When they were at their destination, Myungsoo stopped. "Myungsoo, what are we doing here?" Yoomi asked. 

"Just wait a moment, it should be on by now," he said as he checked the time on his phone. 

Suddenly, a bright light went up into the sky and Yoomi looked up to see what it was. When she looked up, she saw fireworks of different colors illuminating the night sky. "Wow," she said in awe. 

Myungsoo looked at her and smiled. "Do you like it?" he asked. 

Yoomi instantly nodded her head. "It's beautiful," she replied. She continued to watch the fireworks in the sky, mesmerized by it. 

Myungsoo smiled as he watched her. *No, you're beautiful,* he thought as he stared at her. He then turned towards the fireworks and started watching it. 

When the firework display was over, the other people who were also watching started to leave; leaving only Myungsoo and Yoomi standing there. 

"So how was today?" he asked. "Was it the best day of your life?"

"I'm not sure," she replied. "But it's definitely on the list, next to the time where I got certified as a genius."

"Wait, you're a genius?" he asked with wide eyes. 

"Yup, I have an IQ of 192," she said. 

He took a moment to let it soak in. "Wow, I should have known it when you made that flying shopping cart, shrink ray, and time machine, but it never crossed my mind," he said. "And especially that part where you said that you graduated high school when you were like 6."

As Myungsoo was lost in his thoughts, Yoomi took something out from her bag. "Myungsoo," she said. 

"What?" Myungsoo asked as he snapped out of his daze. 

"Ta-dah!" she said as she held something up. It was a palm-sized, metallic box and it (like everything else she made) looked very weird. 

"What is that?" he asked. 

"It's your present for doing so well on the exam," she said.

"But you said that you didn't have a present for me."

"I lied," she said. She then placed the box in his hand. "Now open it."

He looked at it curiously and pulled the top off. What he saw next was a button in the middle of the box. "Now press it," she said. He did as he was told and pressed the button. 

After pressing the button, confetti was projected into the air as music started to play. "Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations on ranking 31st~" the box sang. It repeated it 2 more times before it stopped and a slot popped out. 

Myungsoo looked inside the slot and saw something shiny in it. He took it out and saw that it was a silver crescent moon phone strap with a nice design on it. "Do you like it?" Yoomi asked, hoping that he liked it. 

"You're giving me a phone strap?" he asked. 

She saw his expressionless face and thought that he didn’t like it. "So you don't like it?" she asked, feeling a little disappointed. 

"No, I like it," he replied with a smile. "But where did you get the money to buy this? It looks kind of expensive."

"A nice lady gave me a discount," she replied. "And look," she said as she took something out of her pocket. "It was a pair." She was holding another phone strap with the same design, but instead of a crescent moon, it was a silver star. 

"Isn't it pretty?" she said. 

"Yeah, it is," he said. "But isn't it a little girly? Like what kind of guy would have a crescent moon phone strap on his phone."

Yoomi pouted. "But I even lied to get you this thing," she said. 

"What did you lie about?" he asked. She didn't say anything. "Don't tell me that you actually said that you're from the future or something," he said as his eyes widened. 

"Of course not," she said. She hesitated before she started to talk again. "I just lied that I had a boyfriend that I've been with for 5 years now, but I never gave him a present because I didn't have enough money."

"And she actually believed it?"

"Yeah, after giving her a sad face and telling her a bunch of stuff that would trigger her sympathy, I finally convinced her to sell it to me for 1033.79 won (1 dollar)," she said. "And come on, look at it; it's really cool. It was completely worth spending an hour trying to convince her."

He was surprised by how long she spent to just get him this phone strap. "Wow, you're really persistent,” he said. 

"Of course, like I said, this thing is really cool," she said. "Look, if you put them next to each other, the magnets inside attracts to each other." She placed her phone strap next to his and surely enough, they we pulled together with the star inside the crescent moon. 

"Woah, that is pretty cool," he said. 

"See," she said, satisfied by his reaction. "Also the lady said that if I give this to my boyfriend then we would never separate and even if we're far away from each other, we would eventually find each other. I don't believe it, but since it looks nice, I just got it. But since I don't have a boyfriend, I'm giving it to you since you're my best friend."

"Best friend?" he asked with furrowed eyebrows. 

"Yeah, you're actually my first friend besides from Ed, my robot dog," she said. "But to me, you're more important than him." She then looked up at the sky and said, "Sorry Ed."

"Wait, you have a robot dog?" he asked. 

"I used to, but he got hit by a F.C.F when he was doing his daily fly. He was so destroyed that even I couldn't fix him," she said. "I still remember when I first activated him; he was so cute with his robotic bark." She then looked sadly at the sky, remembering Ed.

Myungsoo looked at her weirdly. "You know, you're very weird," he said. 

"I know, you already said that before," she said. "Anyways, back on topic. You're my best friend so I'm giving you this."

"But why am I your best friend?" he asked. 

"Because you're the person that I'm the most comfortable with and the person who I trust the most, besides from myself of course," she replied. "So are you going to accept it and agree that you're my best friend?" She looked at him, hoping that he would say yes.

Myungsoo thought about it. Sure he was happy that he was important to her, but not in a friend kind of way. He was actually hoping to be a little more than just a friend, but he knew that it wouldn’t happen. "Yeah, I accept," he said. He placed the phone strap onto his phone and Yoomi did the same with hers. They both held their phones up with their straps hanging next to each other, causing for it to connect. 

"Today from now on, Song Yoomi and Kim Myungsoo are best friends," Myungsoo said. 

Yoomi smiled. "I can't believe that I actually have a best friend now. Throughout my whole life I thought that I wouldn't even make one friend," she said. 

"You're lucky that you met me," Myungsoo said. "If it was somebody else then they would have brought you to the government or something."

"Yeah, I know," she replied. "It's a good thing that I met you instead of someone else."

Myungsoo smiled as he looked at her. "Yeah, it was a really good thing."


 

~A few days later~

"I won," Myungsoo said. 

"No, I won," Yoomi argued. 

"But did you see how many times you blushed?" he asked. "It was at least 10 times in only 5 hours!"

"But that was because it was hot," she retorted. 

"No, it was because your heart was fluttering for me. That's why you blushed.” 

"No, it wasn't.” 

"Fine, I didn't want to do this, but you left me no choice," he said. He then cupped her face and stared into her eyes. 

"What are you doing?" she asked. 

"Proving that your heart fluttered for me," he said. He closed his eyes and started leaning in. Yoomi didn't know what to do and out of instinct, she shut her eyes closed. 

"See, your heart did flutter for me. Look at your face; it's already as red as a cranberry.” 

Yoomi opened her eyes and blushed even more. "No it's not," she denied. 

"Alright, if you keep denying it then I'll just have to try to prove it," Myungsoo said. He was about to lean in again, but she stopped him. 

"Alright, alright, you won," she said in defeat. 

Myungsoo pulled away and smiled. "Then you owe me another wish," he said. 

Yoomi pouted. "Dang it," she mumbled under her breath. "Why is it that I always lose the bets?"

"It's because you can't defeat the all mighty Kim Myungsoo," Myungsoo said with an arrogant grin. 

"Don't be so full of yourself," Yoomi said. "Who knows, maybe another flying shopping cart would come out of nowhere and hit you."

"Hey! It was your fault for inventing it in the first place!" he said. "Do you seriously have to bring that up every time?"

"Only when you become arrogant," she replied. 

They continued walking out of the school in silence. 

Yoomi then looked at her phone and checked the time. "Oh no," she said as her eyes widened. "I'm late!" She started sprinting out, leaving Myungsoo behind her. 

"Wait, late for what?!" he yelled so that she could hear. 

"I'm late for my part-time job!" she replied. "Oh, and don't worry if I come home later than usual." With that last sentence, she turned around and continued running to her job.

"Wait, if she has a job then she might have to work with somebody and if she works with somebody then there might be a chance that she ends up working with a guy," Myungsoo said to himself. As soon as he realized what he said, he became bug-eyed. "Wait! Let me come with you!" He ran after her, but it was it was too late. Yoomi was already gone, out of sight. 

"Where did she go?" He looked around, trying to figure out which direction she picked. "Aish, Song Yoomi. You're just leaving me again!" he said as he ruffled his hair in frustration.


 

"I can’t believe that she didn’t tell me where she works." Myungsoo paced around the living room, lost in his thoughts. "We even declared ourselves as best friends! She should have at least told me what her job is!"

He then heard the door starting to open and quickly ran to the couch. He jumped onto it and the TV, pretending like he didn’t wait for her all this time. As he flipped through the channels, he heard the door close and footsteps coming closer.

"Oh, you’re back," he said while trying to sound as nonchalant as possible. Yoomi didn’t say anything and plopped down onto the couch before laying her head back, looking very tired. He was surprised by the way that she was acting. She had never been like this before and it took him by surprise when he didn't see her usual happy smile plastered on her face. "What happened?" he asked. 

"Nothing," she replied.

"Come on, tell me. I'm your best friend after all." He turned towards her on the couch and gave her all of his attention.

Yoomi sighed before looking at him and took in a deep breath. "I got fired," she said.

Myungsoo widened his eyes. "You what?!" he said in disbelief. "It’s only your first day, but you got fired already?” Yoomi nodded and sighed again. "But how did it happen?" he asked. 

"It was because this lady said that I wasn’t doing my job properly. She became all crazy and complained about me to the manager," she explained.

"But why did she say that?" he asked. 

"She said that I didn’t put the items on the self properly," she said. "She also said that I had to place each item an inch apart and that I placed them too close."

Myungsoo nodded in understanding as he listened to her. "So you're fired, all because of a crazy lady that has OCD," he said, summing everything up.

"Yup, that's exactly what happened," she said. "But what am I going to do now? Without a job, how am I going to pay you back?"

He looked at her with soft eyes. "Don't worry about that right now. I'm not rushing you to pay back everything immediately," he said. "Take as long as you like."

Yoomi looked at him with a grateful smile. "Thanks, you're a good friend," she said. 

Myungsoo smiled back, revealing his cute dimples. "I know," he said. "Also, keep smiling. You're prettier when you smile."

Yoomi felt a little flutter in her heart by what he said and for some reason, started blushing. "What happened?" Myungsoo asked worriedly. "Did you catch a cold? Your face is all red." He placed his hand onto her forehead to check her temperature, but she pulled away.

"I'm fine," she said. "I just feel hot that's all." 

"Really? Then I'll go turn the air conditioning on," he said while getting up. "Wait for me here."

Yoomi nodded and watched him as he went. She then smiled to herself, seeing him carefully choosing the right temperature to cool the house down. *Myungsoo is really nice,* she thought as an unknown feeling grew in her. It was a fluffy feeling that she didn't hate.


 

Thank you keshiakim and AliceLiang for upvoting! :D

Also, I'm sorry if you guys are disappointed with this chapter. I know that some of you guys wanted him to kiss her on the lips. I guess you guys already want them to be in that stage. *wiggles eyebrows*

But I also felt like this chapter wasn't that great. So I might update again over the weekend. I hope you guys look forward to it, and have a great weekend! Also remember to enjoy the fall, it's an awesome season to play in the leaves and enjoy it before it gets too cold! *waves goodbye*