Horror Movie Bet

An Inventor's Mistake

They arrived at the phone store and Yoomi's eyes widened by all of the phones that were displayed. "Woah, look at all the phones," she said amazed. "It's so different from the phones in the future." She picked a phone up and looked all around it. 

Myungsoo looked at her curiously. "How different is it from your futuristic phone. Is it worst?" he asked.

Yoomi shook her head. "No, it's just really big," she replied. "If it's this big then isn't it inconvenient to bring around?"

Myungsoo thought about it. "I don't think so, it fits in my pocket perfectly," he answered. "But are the phones in the future really small?" 

Yoomi nodded. "Yeah, don't you remember seeing my phone?" she asked.

Myungsoo remembered when he first saw her phone. He remembered that it was a little smaller than the size of your palm. "Now that I think about it, it was pretty small," he said. "If it's that small then isn't it less fun to use when watching videos and stuff since people like watching from a big screen?"

"Yeah the screen is small, but it can project your screen into a hologram. People were pretty satisfied when it first came out," she said. She went around and examined each phone. *Wow, I can't wait to see inside these things. It would be amazing if I could look inside all of them, but I don't want to trouble Myungsoo,* she thought.

On the other side, Myungsoo was still thinking about her phone. *Now that I think about it, I'd rather have her phone. It projects everything in such good quality.* He stood there, lost in his thoughts until Yoomi came.

"Myungsoo, I finally picked out a phone. Can we pay for it now?" she asked, still excited.

He looked at the phone that she picked. "Hey, it's the same as my phone," he said. "Don't you want a different one since you already looked inside of mine?" he asked.

"No, it's okay. I didn't get to fully examine your phone because I was afraid of getting caught, but in the end I still got caught," she said sheepishly. "Anyway, I'm sure that I want this one." 

"Okay then, I'll go pay for it," he said. He took the phone and walked over to the cash register. He gave it to the employee and waited for the person to tell him the price. 

"Oh, are you buying this for your girlfriend?" the employee asked while packing the phone.

Myungsoo looked at him confused. "No, why would you say that?" he asked.

The employee nodded his head at Yoomi. Myungsoo turned around and saw Yoomi walking around the store, looking awed at the technology. "I saw you walking in and talking to her," the employee said. 

"She's just a friend," Myungsoo said while turning back around. 

"Really?" the employee asked. Myungsoo nodded.

"Then that means that she's single right?" the employee asked again. 

Myungsoo slowly nodded again, he was quite puzzled as to why this person was asking so many questions about Yoomi. He then saw the employee examine Yoomi from head-to-toe. He quickly stood in front of the employee, blocking his view from Yoomi. "What are you doing?" he said with a glare. 

The employee looked at Myungsoo. "Just checking her out," he replied nonchalantly. "She's totally my style," he said. He then stepped to the other side to get a better look at Yoomi, but Myungsoo continued to block him.

"Stop staring at her," he angrily said. 

The employee put both of his hands up. "Woah, easy there," he said. "I was just looking at her, nothing more." The employee went back to packing the phone and Myungsoo tried to calm himself down. 

"But I'm guessing that she's single right?" the employee asked. "So can you hook me up with her? I'll give you a discount." He finished packing the phone and gave it to Myungsoo. 

Myungsoo couldn't believe what he heard and scoffed. "Myungsoo, what's taking so long?" Yoomi asked as she walked up to him. She grew puzzled when she saw how irritated he looked. 

"Myungsoo what happened?" she asked again. He didn't answer and continued to stare at something or someone, with a menacing look in his eyes. She grew curious and traced his stare to find out that he was glaring at the employee.

When they made eye contact, the employee smiled at her. "Hi~" he said while waving. 

Yoomi looked at him weirdly. "Hi," she replied slowly. 

Myungoo, seeing their interaction, quickly paid and grabbed her wrist. "We're leaving," he said before pulling her out of the store. 

Yoomi felt even more confused and turned around to look at the employee. She knew that the reason for Myungsoo to suddenly act this way was somehow linked to that guy, but she just didn't know exactly how. When the employee saw her look at him he smiled and gestured for her to call him. Yoomi furrowed her eyebrows since she didn't know what that gesture meant. 

Once they were far away from the store, Myungsoo stopped walking and let go of her wrist. "Next time, we're not going back in there," he said. 

"But why, what happened?" Yoomi asked. 

"It's nothing, here," he said. He handed her the bag with the phone inside. 

Yoomi's eyes brightened at the sight of it. "Wah," she said as she took the box out. "I can't wait to open this when we get home," she said while smiling. 

Myungsoo softened as he watched her and forgot all about the rude employee until Yoomi asked something. "But it was really weird," Yoomi said. "When I turned around, I saw the guy do this hand gesture." She recreated what she saw the guy do with his hand. "What does that mean?" she asked curious.

Myungsoo looked at her. "Did he really give you that gesture?" he asked. 

Yoomi nodded her head. "Yeah, does it mean something?" she asked back.

Myungsoo scoffed. *Wow, that guy has some guts to just hit on her like that.* "It means that he wants you to call him," he said. 

Yoomi's eyebrows furrowed even more. "But how does he expect me to call him if I don't even know his number," she said. 

Myungsoo widened his eyes. "You actually want to call him?" he asked.

Yoomi nodded. "Yeah, he was kind of weird, but he looks nice," she said. "I always look forward to having a new friend," she said while smiling at him.

Myungsoo sighed. "Do you really want friends that much," he said.

"Of course, I didn't have any in the future, but now I have the chance to make as many as I want," she said brightly.

Myungsoo remembered about her past and he suddenly felt sad. *You still want to make friends even though you were treated so badly by people,* he thought. "Okay, I understand, but not him," he said. "When you're making friends, you have to watch out for guys like him."

"Why? Is he a bad person?" she asked. Her eyes suddenly widened. "Don't tell me that he's actually an escaped prisoner trying to hide from the police by giving himself a new identity," she said shocked. 

"No, he's not," Myungsoo said as he lightly knocked her on the head. "Where did you even get that idea from anyway?"

"A book," she answered while pouting and rubbing the spot on her head. "Then tell me a reason why I have to watch out for guys like him," she said.

Myungsoo sighed. "You really don't know?" he asked. Yoomi shook her head. "Then let me tell you, you'd better listen well," he said while pointing at her. Yoomi nodded as her ears perked up.

"Men are all wolves so you have to watch out for them," he explained.

"Wolves?" Yoomi had a confused look on her face. "But they're Homo sapiens."

"No, that's not what I meant," he said frustrated. "I mean that they act like a wolf."

"Act like a wolf?" she asked again. "Do they crawl on all fours and go hunting or something?"

"No, they don't or maybe they do, I don't know," he said. "But seriously, that's not what I m-"

"Then are they like wolves because they eat meat?" Yoomi asked. "But most humans can eat meat because we're omnivores; doesn't that mean that we're all like wolves? But truthfully wolves evolved into dogs and humans and dogs evolved together, so that means that we're pretty close to dogs. Ah, I really want a dog," she said while pouting.

Myungsoo rubbed his forehead in frustration. "That's not what I m-"

"Then-" before Yoomi could say anything, Myungsoo put his hand over . "Whatever you're about to say, the answer is no," he said. "Now listen to me, men are like wolves because they can get touchy with girls and not because they eat meat or crawl on four legs or whatever else you were thinking. Do you understand now?" 

Yoomi nodded her head with Myungsoo's hand still on . "Good," he said as he took his hand off. He then saw Yoomi look at him curiously. "What?" he asked. 

"Then are you a wolf also?" Yoomi asked.

Myungsoo was shocked at her question and quickly shook his head. "No, I'm not like that," he quickly denied. 

"But you said that all men are like wolves," she said. 

"Then let me rephrase that. Most men are like wolves, but there are men who are definitely not like that. For example, me," he said.

"Alright then, I understand," Yoomi said. 

"Finally," Myungsoo said with a relief sigh.

"But do men like to howl?" she asked.

Myungsoo facepalmed himself.  


 

While walking home, they passed by a movie theater. "They're still showing that movie?" Myungsoo said to himself as he saw the list of movies that they were showing. 

"What movie?" Yoomi asked.

"That one," he replied as he pointed at a movie poster. The poster was definitely for a horror movie since there was a picture of a ghost on it and it looked very creepy.

"It's a horror movie?" she asked.

Myungsoo nodded his head. "Yeah, and it was pretty scary," he said. 

"Ohh, so you're afraid of horror movies," Yoomi said while nodding in understanding. 

"What, no I'm not," Myungsoo quickly denied. "I only said that it was pretty scary, that's it."

"Whatever you say," Yoomi said not believing him. 

"Then what about you, are you scared of them?" he asked.

"Of course not," Yoomi replied confidently. "I don't believe in ghosts or supernatural beings; these movies don't scare me one bit."

"Then let's see how you would react when we actually watch one," Myungsoo challenged. 

"Okay then, let's watch one," Yoomi said accepting the challenge. 

"But not in the movie theater. If we watch a horror movie in the movie theater, all we would hear are screams from other people. That would hide your screams when you get scared," Myungsoo said teasingly.

"Don't worry, you won't even hear a single peep from me," Yoomi said. "You should be the one afraid of letting out a high-pitched, girly scream."

"It seems like you're pretty confident in yourself," Myungsoo said.

"Of course," Yoomi replied. 

"Then let's make a bet, whoever screams first has to fulfill a wish for the other person," he said. He put out a hand, waiting for her to shake it. 

"Deal," she said without hesitating. They shook hands and both had a competitive look in their eyes.


 

"Woah!" Myungsoo yelled, startled.

"Hey, you screamed," Yoomi said as she pointed at him.

"No, I didn't. I was just surprised by how delicious this popcorn is," he said before putting a piece of popcorn in his mouth. 

"Alright then, but you know you're going to lose anyway," Yoomi said. 

They were 30 minutes into a horror movie and to set the mood, they turned all the lights off and made popcorn to eat while watching the movie in the living room. Myungsoo was already on the verge of losing and he knew it. He already flinched 18 times and yelled 6. Good thing he was able to make excuses or he would've lost 15 minutes ago.

He looked over at Yoomi and was amazed by how calm she was. She was leisurely eating her popcorn while watching. She didn't even flinch once, and the closest that she has ever been to flinching was when she blinked when there was a jumpscare. *How does she do that? How can you not jump when something suddenly pops onto the screen and loud music plays,* he thought. *This is not good, at this point I'm going to lose. I need to think of a plan.*

"Um, I'm going to the bathroom," he said.

"Okay go, but you'd better not stay in the bathroom for the rest of the movie. If you do then that means that you automatically lose," Yoomi said.

"I know, I know," he said. He then got up and walked away.

Yoomi was left alone to watch the movie by herself. 6 minutes passed and Myungsoo didn't come back. "What's taking him so long? Is he actually going to give up?" she asked herself. Another 10 minutes passed and she grew confused. "Don't tell me that he really gave up," she said. She was about to go find him when the t.v turned off by itself. 

"What just happened?" she asked. "Why did it turn off by itself?" She was about to check the t.v to see if there was anything wrong with it, but remembered that the lights were off. She went over and flipped the light switch, but the lights wouldn't come back on. "What's happening, was there just a power outage?"

She tried flipping it again, but the lights still wouldn't come on. "Great, I guess there really was a power outage," she said. "Myungsoo!" she called out. "Myungsoo, where are you? The lights are out!" 

She heard no response. "Where is he?" she said. She was worried that something might've happened to him. "Myungsoo, are you there!" she called out again. It was already nighttime and she could barely see anything. She slowly made her way to the bathroom to see if he was there.

"Myungsoo, are you in here?" she asked while knocking on the door. "If you don't open the door or respond to me, then I'm going to try to open it!" She heard no response. "Alright then, you leave me no choice." She turned the doorknob and was surprised that it wasn't locked. She went in, but didn't see Myungsoo in there. 

"Now where could he be?" she asked herself. She decided to go look for him upstairs and found her way to the staircase. As she was walking up, she felt goose bumps forming on her skin. "Why is it getting so cold?" She started rubbing her arms, trying to make the cold go away.

"Myungsoo!" she called out again. She reached the top of the staircase and went over to the bathroom. "Are you in here!" She opened the door and poked her head inside. "Nope, not in here either." She closed the door and walked over to his room.

"Myungsoo are you in here?" she asked in a loud voice. There was complete silence which sent shivers down her spine. She opened the door and went in. As she took her first step, she could hear the floor creak. *This is just getting creepier and creepier,* she thought. 

She continued walking in until she saw something on the bed. It looked like it could be a person. "Myungsoo, is that you?" she asked. She approached the bed and without hesitation, pulled the covers off of it. What she saw next was not a person, but a few pillows stacked next to each other. She then furrowed her eyebrows out of confusion. 

"If he's not here then where could he be?" she asked herself. Suddenly, she felt a hand on her shoulder. She froze and slowly turned around. The hand belonged to a person, but the scary part was that the person was wearing a scream mask. "AHH!!" Yoomi screamed before flipping the person over her shoulder. 

The person landed on the bed while letting out an 'oof.' He was clearly surprised by what just happened. Yoomi was about to knock the person out, but stopped when she heard his voice. "No, stop. Yoomi, it's just me!" the person quickly said. 

"Myungsoo?" she said shocked. 

The person took off his mask and she could see Myungsoo's face thanks to the moonlight. "Yeah, it's me," he said. 

"Yah! You scared me to death!" she said, putting a hand on her chest. She could hear her heart beating very loudly and rapidly. "I thought that you were some serial killer or something!"

"Sorry that I scared you, I just wanted to win the bet," Myungsoo said. "And it was totally worth it because you screamed first." He had on a victorious smile on his face. 

Yoomi glared at him. "You seriously almost gave me a heart attack just to win the bet?" she asked in disbelief. 

"Yup and like I said, it was completely worth it," he said happily. 

"But you cheated!" Yoomi said.

Myungsoo shook his head. "No I didn't, we made a bet that the loser would be the one who screams first and you screamed first," he said. 

"But I thought it was that whoever screams first while watching the movie was the loser," Yoomi said.

"No, the exact words of the bet was that whoever screams first has to fulfill the wish of the winner," Myungsoo said. "We made the bet after we agreed on watching the movie. There was no mention of movie watching when we made the bet. You didn't forget did you?"

Yoomi gave in to his reasoning. "No, of course not," she said as she sighed. "By the way, the exact words were that whoever screams first has to fulfill a wish for the other person. You replaced person with winner," she corrected.

Myungsoo smiled. "I knew that your eidetic memory would come to good use," he said. "So are you finally going to admit that you lost?"

"Yes," Yoomi said grumpily. 

Myungsoo smiled in victory while cheering. "Woohoo, I won," he said happily.

"Psh, just because you cheated," Yoomi mumbled.

Myungsoo suddenly felt a soreness in his shoulder. "Ow," he said. 

"What is it?" Yoomi asked. 

"My shoulder is kind of sore," he replied. "I think it's because you flipped me."

"Well, that's what you get for cheating," Yoomi said before sticking out her tongue.

"Where did you even learn how to flip people like that?" he asked as he massaged his shoulder.

"I was bored so I took some martial arts classes," she answered. 

He was still massaging his shoulder and Yoomi felt a little guilty. "Here, let me help you get up," she said while putting her hand out. 

"You're not going to flip me again are you?" he asked, worried. "I was lucky that the bed was here to break my fall. If I landed on the floor then I would for sure have a broken bone by now."

"No, I'm not going to flip you again. Just take my hand and I'll help you stand up," she said. 

Myungsoo hesitantly reached his hand out, the one without the sore shoulder, and took her hand. Yoomi tried pulling him up, but he didn't budge. "Myungsoo, why are you so heavy?" she asked, struggling to pull him up. 

He just sat there, watching her struggle. "For your information, I'm normal weight," he said. "And I'm not moving because I want to see you struggle to pull me up since you flipped me."

Yoomi kept trying to pull him up. "Are you seriously doing this for revenge?" she asked.

"Yes," he replied with a smirk.

She let go of his hand in defeat. "Fine, if you're not moving then I'm not helping you," she said. She turned around and was about to walk away when Myungsoo quickly grabbed her arm and pulled her back. It wasn't a harsh pull, but it was strong enough to turn Yoomi back around and make her lose her balance. 

"Woah!" she yelled before closing her eyes. She was expecting to fall either on the bed or on the floor, but she felt something else instead. Her face landed on something broad and sturdy and she felt strong arms embracing her. She then pushed herself up a little to see what it was. 

To her surprise, she saw Myungsoo's face very close to hers. "Are you okay?" he asked worriedly. His arms were still around her and both of their eyes widened when they realized what kind of position they were in.

She quickly pushed herself off his body and stood up. "Y-yeah, I'm o-okay," she stuttered while blushing.

Myungsoo sat up and was also blushing. "T-that's g-great then," he also stuttered. He awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck while looking in another direction. There was a moment of awkward silence before Myungsoo spoke up again. "So, you still owe me a wish," he slowly said.

"Yeah, I guess I do," Yoomi said. She didn't like how everything got so awkward and tried to get rid of the awkwardness. "So, are you going to tell me your wish?" she asked.

Myungsoo shook his head. "No, I don't have one yet. I'm going to save it for later," he replied. 

Yoomi nodded in understanding. "Oh, okay then," she said. She then remembered that the lights were still off. "Are you going to turn the lights back on now?" she asked. 

Myungsoo also noticed that they were standing in complete darkness except for some light from the moon. "Oh, right. Let me turn the power back on," he said. He got up and went downstairs to turn the power back on. 

When the lights came back on, he suddenly remembered the event that just happened. He blushed remembering how he embraced her and saw her face up close. "Aish, Kim Myungsoo. Why did you do that?!" he said while ruffling his hair in frustration. 


 


Okay, I know it's kind of late, but I want to thank my new upvoters: love_hyungjoong, mskay6790, and purplethunder1. I would also like to thank my new subscribers also. I'm really grateful to you guys and I honestly don't even think that my story is actually good enough to be upvoted and subscribed to, but still, I'm very grateful to you guys! ^-^