Jar of Money

An Inventor's Mistake

Myungsoo stretched as the bell rang. “I wish that we were back in Jeju,” he said as he laid his head down onto his desk.

“Yeah, I agree. School is too boring.” Yoomi took out her textbook and flipped through it. “Like look at all of this! We’re not even learning half of this stuff!”

Myungsoo sat up, shocked by what she said. “Are you saying that you want to learn all of that?” he asked in disbelief.

She shook her head. “I already learned all of this, but you guys haven’t. The more they teach the better.”

“Just for your information, I’m not a genius. I’m an average human being that would rather run for 10 straight years than learn all of this,” he said as he flipped through her textbook.

“Oh~,” Yoomi nodded in understanding with a teasing smile. “Our Myungsoo ahjussi doesn’t like learning because he’s getting old. I guess I can understand now.”

Myungsoo squinted his eyes at her. “I told you to not call me that.”

“But I’m still not going to listen~” She playfully stuck her tongue at him.

“Psh, whatever.” He started putting his books back into his desk and prepared to go to lunch.

“Myungsoo…” Myungsoo looked up and saw Yoomi gesturing him to come closer. He furrowed his eyebrows. “What?” he asked.

“Come closer,” she said. Myungsoo did as he was told and leaned in closer. Yoomi then leaned into his ear and cupped a hand over . “Ahjussi~” she said before quickly getting up and running out of the classroom.

Myungsoo’s jaw dropped. He then looked up and yelled, “Yah! Song Yoomi!” before standing up and running after her.

Heajung watched them and scoffed. “I can’t believe she’s flirting with him.”

“I don’t think that she’s flirting with him. It seems like they’re just playing around with each other since they’re friends,” Haeun said.

“No, she’s definitely flirting with him.” Heajung glared at Yoomi’s desk. “She really needs to know her place.”

Haeun looked over at her friend and knew what she was thinking. “You’re going to sabotage her aren’t you?”

Heajung nodded and smirked. “Yup, and I know exactly how.”


 

After lunch, everybody went back to their classrooms and waited for the teacher.

“It seems like he’s taking longer than usual,” Yoomi said.

“Yeah, he’s usually not this late,” Myungsoo said.

After waiting for another few minutes, Mr.Yong finally came in. Everybody quieted down as he walked to the front. “Students, I have disappointing news.” He sighed before continuing. “Somebody stole the donation jar that was going to be sent to charity.”

Everybody gasped when they heard it. “Who would steal something for charity?” someone said.

“Whoever it is must be a low life for doing something like that.”

“Quiet down everybody,” Mr.Yong said. “We’re checking all of your lockers including all of your belongings. It’s not that I believe that any of you actually stole it, but we know that it has to be someone in this school since the last time we saw it was during the beginning of lunch and it was reported missing towards the end of lunch. So everybody, take everything out of your desks and backpacks and lay it on your desk.”

Everybody started to get all of their things out and laid them on their desks. Yoomi picked up her backpack and it felt heavier than usual. *That’s weird, it wasn’t this heavy before.* She then opened her backpack and was in shock by what she saw.

“Seonsaengnim, I see the jar in Yoomi’s backpack!” Heajung yelled as she pointed at Yoomi.

Mr.Yong furrowed his eyebrows and looked at Yoomi, so did everybody else in the classroom. “Yoomi, please take everything out of your backpack.”

Yoomi did as she was told and took everything out. The one object that caught everybody’s attention was the clear plastic jar filled with money that people had donated. Everybody started whispering as soon as they saw it.

Myungsoo stood up from his seat. “Seonsaengnim, Yoomi definitely didn’t steal it. She was with me the whole lunch period.” He was surprised himself when he saw the jar come out of Yoomi’s bag, but he knew that she didn’t steal it. Sure she was a genius and she was capable of doing something like this, but that didn’t mean that she would. She’s not the type of person to do something like this and he knew it. Not to mention that she was really with him the whole lunch time.

“I would like to believe that, but the jar came out of her bag.” Mr.Yong sighed and rubbed his forehead. “Yoomi, please come with me to the office.” Mr.Yong went to her desk and picked up the jar, like he didn’t trust her with it anymore.

Yoomi noticed it and felt offended, but she knew that she couldn’t do anything about it. Not when she didn’t have any evidence to prove her innocence. She then stood up and followed him towards the office. She could feel all eyes on her as she walked, and it made her feel very uncomfortable.

 Myungsoo watched her leave. He couldn’t believe that something like this had happened. She was with him the whole time so how in the world was she able to steal that jar? Clearly, the answer was that she didn’t. She must have been framed, and when he finds the person who framed her then he knew that the person would be dead meat.

“I can’t believe that she actually stole that.”

“I can, from the beginning she always stuck with Myungsoo. Ever since she came here she stuck to him. I bet that she also stole something from him or found something to blackmail him with to prevent him from getting away from her.”

“Ugh, she’s so evil. I knew that she was bad news from the start.”

Myungsoo slammed his palm onto his desk. “Stop talking about her like that. You don’t know anything about her, so you have no right to bad mouth her.” He glared at them and it made them freeze up.

“Myungsoo, why are you standing up for her? She’s obviously a criminal.” Heajung went up to him and laid her hand on his shoulder. “Instead of being with her, be with me instead. I’m not a criminal and I have a pure heart. How about you stop hanging with her and hang with me instead?”

Myungsoo looked at her with disbelief written all over his face. “You really think that I would want to hang with you?” he asked with a raised eyebrow. He then scoffed. “Pure heart? You can actually say that after what you did to her in the cafeteria.”

Heajung was speechless and didn’t know what to say. “Yoomi is way better than you in every way, so don’t say that about her.” He then looked at everybody in the classroom. “And that goes for all of you too.” He harshly removed Heajung’s hand from his shoulder before leaving the classroom.

Heajung stood there and stared at the doorway where he left. “Why is he standing up for her? She’s no better than me, so why is he picking her over me?!” she yelled in anger.


 

Myungsoo stood in front of the office, waiting for Yoomi to come out. *They’ve been in there for so long,* he thought impatiently as he tapped his foot on the floor and leaned his back onto the wall.

The door finally opened and he instantly stood straight up. “What happened?” he asked as he saw Yoomi closing the door.

Yoomi looked at the floor and sighed. “They don’t believe me.”

Myungsoo widened his eyes. “Why don’t they believe you? You even have an alibi which is me and the rest of Infinite. That has to be evidence that you didn’t do it.”

Yoomi shook her head. “They still wouldn’t believe me because they found the jar in my backpack. I’m their main suspect.”

Myungsoo stood there in disbelief. “So what are we going to do now?” he asked. “Are we just going to let you be falsely accused and let you be punished for something that you didn’t do?”

“Of course not,” she replied. “There are thousands of people who were falsely accused throughout time, and I’m not planning on being one of them.”

“So what are you going to do?” he asked again.

“Easy…” She took out her fake glasses and put them on. “I’m going to find the culprit.”

Myungsoo looked at her, confused. “And how are you going to do that?”

“I didn’t read all of those Sherlock Holmes books for nothing,” she replied. A smile then grew on her face. “I’m going to sleuth my way out.”


 

Myungsoo was waiting anxiously in his room. *What does she mean by sleuthing and what is she working on in her room?* he asked himself. He then decided to push those thoughts away and go on his phone instead. “How to prove someone is innocent…” he read out loud as he typed it into the search engine.

When the articles popped up, he read as much as he could before his eyes started to get tired from reading so much. “So should I just get a lawyer for her?” he asked himself as he kept reading. “Ah~, I don’t even know anymore.” He placed his phone down and rubbed his eyes. That was when he noticed that a lot of time already went by. “Did she finish making whatever she was making?”

He then got up and went to her room to check on her. When he reached her door, he saw that the sign wasn’t up anymore, the sign that warned him about entering the room while she was working on something. “She must be done…” He turned the doorknob and poked his head in to see if she was in there.

“Yoomi,” he called out. There was no answer and nobody was in the room. He was confused and closed the door. “Maybe she’s downstairs,” he said to himself before starting towards the staircase. As he walked down the stairs, and came nearer to the first floor, he suddenly felt a tingly feeling.

He then instantly fell down, but fortunately for him, it wasn’t that far down so he didn’t really hurt himself. *What in the world just happened?* he thought as he looked around him. He felt weird, warmer even, and everything around him seemed bigger. *What, why is everything so big?* He panicked as he tried to make sense of what happened.

“Myungsoo!” Myungsoo turned his head towards the voice and saw Yoomi running over to him. “Are you okay? Are you hurt?” She kneeled down next to him and checked his body for any injuries.

He wanted to say that everything was fine and was about to ask some questions about what happened, but he couldn’t. He couldn’t speak to be exact; the words wouldn’t come out of his mouth. All he heard was a bark when he tried to talk; a bark that horrified him when he realized that it came from him. *Seriously, what is going on?!*

He then heard a nervous laugh. “Ahaha… um… funny story…” Yoomi fiddled with her fingers before talking again. “I kind of… turned you into a dog.” She said it in a rush and quickly put her hands in front of her to shield herself.

Myungsoo couldn’t believe what he heard. *Wait, did I hear that right? Am I actually a dog right now?* He lifted his hand up in front of him and saw that it was no longer a hand. It was now a paw; a paw with light gold fur on it. “Wait, why do I have a paw!” he yelled in a bark.

Yoomi didn’t know what he was saying since all she heard were barks, but she knew that he was panicking now. “Um… don’t panic.” She tried to calm him down, but it didn’t seem like it was working.

“Why are you telling me to not panic when I’m a dog right now!” he said in loud, angry barks.

Yoomi flinched when he suddenly barked very loudly. “Sorry, but I don’t know how to speak dog,” she replied before standing up. “Just wait a moment, I’ll be back with something.”

Myungsoo didn’t listen since he was too busy examining his body. He stood up and started walking around the area with a new feeling, and he didn’t like it at all.*Fur, fur everywhere!* He thought as he saw his hairy self. He tried to turn his head to see what he looked like in the back, but ended up chasing his tail.

“Myungsoo, stop chasing your tail. I know it’s fun and all now that you’re a dog, but let’s save that for later,” Yoomi said as she sat down in front of him.

Myungsoo glared at her. “Does it look like I’m having fun!” he shouted.

Yoomi shook her head. “Nope, I still don’t understand you.” She then came at him with a collar in her hand.

Myungsoo widened his eyes and backed away. “What are you doing!” he barked ferociously.

Yoomi saw him growling at her and knew what he was thinking. “Myungsoo, I promise that I won’t hurt you. Just trust me,” she said to reassure him.

Myungsoo looked at her in the eyes and saw that she was sincere about what she said. *That’s right, she wouldn’t hurt me. What was I thinking to growl at her like that.* He then obediently sat in front of her and wagged his tail.

Yoomi smiled and fastened the collar around his neck. “There, I bet that I can understand you now,” she said as she pushed a button on it. “Go ahead, start speaking.” She excitedly gestured for him to start talking again.

Myungsoo hesitated, but started to speak. “Why am I a dog?” he asked in a bark. As he talked, he could hear a robotic voice voicing over him. “Why am I a dog?” it repeated, each word sounding as robotic as the next. Myungsoo widened his eyes by what he heard. He could speak again! Well, it’s actually only a voice over, but now she can understand him! He wagged his tail faster as he got excited.

Yoomi smiled in satisfaction. “It was a good thing that I also made that,” she said while admiring what she created.

Myungsoo then remembered that he was still a dog and that he wasn’t human anymore. “But seriously, what happened? Why am I a dog?” he said as the collar voiced over him.

“Well…” She paused for a moment before starting again. “I made a device that could turn any object, inanimate or animate, into a dog. And I was planning to use the dog to sniff out the donations jar so that I could get some fingerprint samples. But I kind of missed when I was about to shoot this chair and it bounced off a window and into… well you know.”

Myungsoo was shocked by what he heard. “Why would you want to find the fingerprints on the donations jar?” he asked.

“It’s because I can use it to find out who is the real culprit and clear my name, but I don’t know where it is so I thought that having a dog would be good since it can sniff it out.”

“But why a golden retriever?” he asked when he noticed what kind of dog he was.

“Because golden retrievers have a very strong sense of smell and they’re adorable.” She smiled and started to pet him. “Seriously Myungsoo, you’re really cute right now.”

Myungsoo blushed, if a dog could, and moved away even though he liked the feeling of her petting him. “Just turn me back.”

Yoomi looked nervous all of a sudden. “Um… about that…” She gave him an uneasy look. “I kind of can’t.”

Myungsoo widened his eyes by what she said. “What do you mean you can’t?!” he shouted.

She hesitated again before talking. “I… kind of… didn’t install a button that would immediately turn you back to a human,” she explained. She saw how shocked Myungsoo looked and felt really bad. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know that something like this would happen. I thought that I would just turn a chair into a dog and then I would never have to use it again.”

When Myungsoo came back to reality, he said, “Then how am I going to turn back? Am I stuck like this forever?”

Yoomi quickly shook her head. “No, you’ll turn back into a human in 10 hours. Since it’s around 11:00 right now, you’ll be back as a human at around 9:00 in the morning.”

“But why didn’t you install the button instead? I could have turned back into a human right now if you had that button!”

Yoomi looked down at the ground, ashamed of herself. “I admit it… I was lazy to install the button,” she said. She felt angry, angry at herself for doing that. She should have known of the things that could have happened, but she decided to ignore them and thought that it was highly unlikely. Now she regrets it, he wasn’t going to stay as a dog forever but she still regretted it. He wouldn’t have had to wait to turn back into a human again if it wasn’t for her.

Myungsoo saw the way that she acted and knew what was going through her mind at that moment. “Don’t be angry at yourself. It was your fault, but you didn’t know that it would happen. It was an accident, so I forgive you. It’s not like I’m going to stay as a dog forever anyway,” he said as he tried to comfort her.

“Yeah, but I seem to make a lot of mistakes,” she said with a bitter smile. “I should have learned from them, but I kept letting them happen.”

“Don’t say that,” he said. “I’m actually kind of glad that you turned me into a dog. This way I can at least help you with something.”

 Yoomi felt even worse. He already helped her with so much and even forgave her for almost killing him many times. Now he’s even forgiving her for turning him into canine. “But look at you! How can you be glad to be a dog?! Just be mad at me, you don’t have to hide it.”

“Yoomi, I’m not mad at you. And I’m glad because I can help you now, so just tell me what I have to do now that I’m a dog.”

Yoomi sighed. “Are you really not mad?” she asked.

“Of course I’m not. Now just tell me what I have to do before I change my mind and actually get mad,” he said. He knew that he would not get mad at her for turning him into a dog since he’s going to turn back into a human anyway, but this was the only way to change the subject.

Yoomi sighed again. “I was thinking about sneaking into the school right after I got a dog, so…” She nervously looked up at him. “If you want then you can come with me, but it’s fine if you don’t want to. I can always get another dog and maybe it would actually be a chair this time and not a human being.”

“No, it’s okay. I’ll come with you.” He walked over to the front door with his four legs. It took some time to get use to it, but he was a little more comfortable with walking on four legs now.

Yoomi went over to him and opened the door. “Thanks…” she muttered.

“For what?”

“For not being mad at me.”

They then started towards the school, not knowing what to talk about.


 

“Alright, so just use my back to jump over the wall.” Yoomi crouched down in front of the wall with her back facing up.

“Are you sure about this? This is the first time that I’m ever stepping on a girl or anybody really.”

Yoomi nodded. “Yeah, I’m sure. You’re a dog now so you can’t just climb over, you have to jump,” she said.

Myungsoo hesitated for a moment before going back to create some distance between them. He then started sprinting towards her and used her back to jump up and over the wall. He felt amazing after he did what he did. It was the first time that he did something so incredible, and it made his adrenaline rush through his whole body. *Wow, that felt amazing,* he thought. *Maybe this is why dogs like to jump and run around so much.*

 After, Yoomi also climbed over the wall and her flashlight. They then went into the school, and he didn’t ask how they got in because Yoomi is a genius. He decided to just let the genius be a genius and didn’t question it. “Remember the money that I gave you to sniff?” she asked. Myungsoo nodded. “Just try to follow the scent, it might be hard since it’s inside a jar but try your best,” she said with a thumbs up.

Myungsoo nodded and started sniffing at the ground, something that he thought he would never do, and tried to pick up the scent. He felt like he could smell things that he never smelled before. There were scents of dirt, sweat, and even a cheesecake, which did not mix well with the other scents. After sniffing for a while, he finally caught onto a scent. It smelled like money, a lot of money to be exact, and he immediately started to follow it.

Yoomi saw him starting to walk faster with his head frantically searching the smell with his nose. A few minutes later, they were standing in front of a door. “So this is where it is…” she said as she opened the door.

 They went in and Myungsoo started sniffing again. “Here, I smell it in here.” He rose his head up to look at her and pointed his head towards a direction.

She followed the direction in which he pointed his head and went over to open a cabinet. Right in front of her was the money jar, the one that she was accused of stealing. “I’ll just get the fingerprints now,” she said as she took out her supplies.

Myungsoo watched as she carefully got the fingerprints and was amazed that she could actually do it. When she was done, she stood straight up and smiled. “Finally, I’m done,” she said.

They then got out of the room and into the hallway. Myungsoo thought that this was the best time to ask her some questions that had been bothering him. “But how are you going to find the culprit with only the fingerprints? You won’t know who it is exactly.” He said out of curiosity.

“Oh, that,” she said. “I already took some fingerprint samples from my backpack since I know for sure that the person touched my backpack to put the jar in there. I also concluded that the culprit must be a person who didn’t want the money since it didn’t seem like they had any intention to open it. The person must also be a girl since not only did she get her fingerprints on the jar, she also got her whole hand on it. This would make it a lot easier to find who it is.”

Myungsoo nodded. Suddenly, he heard something and his ears perked up. “I hear someone coming,” he said as he started to sniff the air. “It smells like a person.”

Yoomi quickly looked around and set eyes on the first classroom that she saw. “Quick, in here!”

They both went into the classroom and closed the door. As they sat below the windows so that the person wouldn’t see them, they heard him say something. “Hm… I was sure that I heard something.” It was a man’s voice and he must be a teacher. They heard a gasp and it made them jump. “Could it be that it’s a ghost?” The teacher warily looked around him, scanning the hallways for any sign of a supernatural force.

“Well I don’t see anything…” he said. His hairs were standing on end since it dawned on him that he was in school, at night, all alone, in complete darkness. “I’d better get out of here.” There was a shuffling of his shoes before he ran away, out of the building.

When he was gone, Myungsoo let out a relieved sigh. “He’s gone; I think that we’re clear now.” He didn’t hear a reply from Yoomi and curiously looked at her. “Yoomi?” he called out. He saw her standing and looking at something, so he stood up on his paws and went over to her. “Why aren’t you answering?”

She wouldn’t move and her eyes weren’t moving away from what she was looking at. Puzzled, Myungsoo traced the light from her flashlight towards the board. What he saw next completely shocked him and made him angry. “Who did this?” he asked as he looked it. Words filled the board, all of them making fun of Yoomi and saying bad things about her.

Yoomi let out a small laugh. “It seems like we’re in our classroom then. What a coincidence huh?” she said while smiling. She then went over and started erasing the words on the board.

Myungsoo couldn’t believe it. He couldn’t believe that someone would actually do this and what he couldn’t believe even more was that Yoomi was smiling. This was the first time that he hated seeing her smile so much since this smile wasn’t even genuine. This smile was a way to hide her pain and he hated seeing it. He knew that if he could clearly see her face right now then her eyes would definitely look sad.

He wanted to help her erase the board right now, but he couldn’t. Being a dog, he couldn’t do anything. And to his dismay, he couldn’t do anything but stand and watch her clear the board of the horrible words. 


 

I bet that you guys didn't expect that did you? Myungsoo turning into a dog and all. XD

Anyways, thanksgivings is over and I hoped that you guys ate a lot on that day and everything. Also, have a great weekend~^^