Wave Machine

An Inventor's Mistake

“Where is she?” Myungsoo mumbled to himself as he looked around the lobby. He regretted spending so much time with Heajung and losing Yoomi. But who could blame him when Heajung kept following him around no matter where he went. He spent the whole day trying to get away from her and now that he finally lost her, he needs to find Yoomi.

The last time he saw her was at the beach. Ever since then he had been completely clueless about her whereabouts. *It’s getting dark, is she actually outside at this time?* He quickly ran up to their hotel room, hoping that she was in there. When he opened the door and saw that she wasn’t there, he became even more worried.

*Where is she?* he thought. He was thinking about calling her, but then remembered that neither of them brought their phones since they didn’t want it to fall into the water. He ruffled his hair in frustration when he couldn’t even call her or text her or anything.

“Where in the world is she?” he said before running back to the lobby. Fortunately for him, he saw Gikwang walking by and ran up to him. “Where’s Yoomi?” he asked when he saw that Gikwang was alone. “She was with you when I last saw her.”

“Oh, Yoomi?” Gikwang said. “Well, she said that she had to do something so we parted ways when we reached the hotel. That was like a few minutes ago.”

“So she’s in the hotel?” Myungsoo asked.

Gikwang nodded. “Yeah, I’m pretty sure she is,” he replied.

Myungsoo uttered a thanks before leaving to find Yoomi. As he was running, he saw Sunggyu who was yawning and looked tired. “Sunggyu!” he yelled.

Sunggyu noticed him and wiped away his tears that formed from yawning. “What?”

Myungsoo stood in front of him. “Have you seen Yoomi?”

Sunggyu looked at him and thought about it for a moment. “Oh yeah, I did see her,” he said while nodding. “I met her at the elevators and she said that she was going to the inside pool on the top floor.”

“Inside pool...” Myungsoo furrowed his eyebrows. “Why would she go there?”

Sunggyu shrugged. “I don’t know…” he yawned again and could feel drowsiness kicking in. “Sorry, but I’m going to sleep. It’s been a long and tiring day playing with you guys. Especially when you pushed me into the water. I almost drowned you know!”

Myungsoo nodded and waved his hand. “Yeah, yeah, whatever,” he said before setting off to find Yoomi again.

Sunggyu watched Myungsoo leave in disbelief. “Are you seriously going to leave without even apologizing for almost drowning me!” he yelled at him. “That was an attempt of murder you know!” He didn’t see Myungsoo even glance back at him.

“Kids these days,” he grumbled before going back to his hotel room in a grumpy mood.


 

“Yoomi!” Myungsoo shouted when he arrived at the inside pool. He pushed open the door and ran in.

Yoomi, who was sitting at the edge of the pool, looked up at him in surprise. “Myungsoo, why are you here?” she asked. “I thought that you were with Heajung.”

“I was looking for you…” He walked up to her and sat down beside her. “I looked all around the hotel for you.”

Yoomi looked at him with wide eyes. “Really?” she asked. “But why would you do that?”

“You know, I’m very disappointed in you…” He looked at her in the eyes. “I wanted to spend this whole day with you, but you left me for some other guy.”

Yoomi didn’t know what to say. She thought that leaving him to have some space with Heajung and not interfere with them was what he wanted. “But I thought that you wanted to be with Heajung. I didn’t want to get in the way.”

“What I wanted was for you to be with me,” he said. Yoomi looked into his eyes and saw that they looked sad. Was it because she didn’t spend time with him? It wasn’t that she didn’t want to, but she really did think that he wanted to be with Heajung for a while.

“Um… look!” she said, trying to change the topic. She held something up to show him.

Myungsoo furrowed his eyebrows. “What’s that?”

“It’s a machine that creates waves in large bodies of water. I invented this before we went on this trip.” She then pushed herself off the edge and into the pool.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

“Testing this thing out,” she replied. She went to the middle of the pool and let go of her machine. It gently sank to the bottom and when she was sure that it landed safely, she headed back towards the edge. “I want to see if this works or not,” she said as she climbed back up.

He put his hand out and helped her up. “You’re testing out a wave machine?” he asked. “Why didn’t you test it out when we were at the beach instead of waiting until now to test it?”

She stood up in front of him, completely soaked from the waist down. “I didn’t want to accidently destroy this island by accidently creating a tsunami,” she answered. “And besides, nobody goes to the pool at this time. It’s too late for anybody to want to swim.”

“Wait, so this thing can create a tsunami?”

She nodded. “Yup, one that can engulf this whole island. So it’s better to test it out on a pool rather than an ocean.” She picked up her remote and pressed a button. “Now it’s activated, so we can pick the wave level that we want and it will create the waves.”

She pushed a button with a plus on it and the number on the small screen increased each time she pressed it. “So here’s a three.” She stopped pressing the button and watched as the machine started to work. The pool then started to get bigger and bigger waves.

“Woah…” Myungsoo said as he watched it. The waves were quite big, big enough that the water was getting on the surface of the floor. “It’s so big, are you sure that it’s only a three?”

Yoomi checked the screen and nodded. “Yup, it’s a three,” she said.

They stood there and watched it for a moment until Myungsoo became curious again. “How high can the waves go?” he asked.

Yoomi looked up, indicating that she was thinking. “I guess the waves might go as high as a tsunami if it’s in the ocean, but I’m not sure when it’s in a pool,” she replied. “The highest number that I put on this is a ten so if you want then we can see if it goes really high or not.”

Myungsoo widened his eyes. “Are you crazy?!” He looked at her like she was about to commit a crime. “I still can’t forget all of those other times where I almost died because of your inventions! Now you want to possibly drown me and the hotel!”

Yoomi shook her head. “No, of course not. I just want to know how high it can go.” She saw him staring at her and knew what he was thinking. “Myungsoo, don’t worry this time. I’m not trying to kill you so don’t be so paranoid.”

“That’s what you said the last time, but I still almost died!” he shouted.

Yoomi flinched and covered her ears. “Relax, if something happens and you almost die again or you do end up dying, then I’ll report myself for manslaughter.”

Myungsoo looked at her. “You say that like my life isn’t that important.”

“Well, your life is important. But you did avoid getting your head decapitated by a F.C.F, successfully got away from a larger than usual spider, and survived an explosion that pretty much would have killed all of us if Pi didn’t have that safety shield around her,” she said. 

Myungsoo was surprised by how many times that in a way, he really did kind of escaped death a few times. At the same time, he didn’t know if he should view it as an achievement or think that he’s cursed. “Wait, if I kind of escaped death that many times then will death come after me like in final destination and try to kill me because I didn’t die?!” He frantically looked around to see if anything was going to try to kill him.

“No, nothing is out to kill you,” she said. She then pressed the button until it reached 10, the maximum number. “When it gets too big then I’ll immediately turn it off.”

“Um…” Myungsoo stared at the waves. “By getting too big, does that count as getting too big?” He pointed towards the pool and Yoomi turned to look at it.

The waves were massive, and it was getting bigger. Even the water started to completely flood the floor to their ankles. “Woah, it’s getting so big,” she said as she watched it for a second.

“Don’t just watch it! Press the button to stop it!” he said anxiously.

“Oh, yeah. You’re right.” She was about to press the button, but the remote slipped out of her hands and into the water that flooded the ground. “Oh no…” Her eyes widened and she quickly picked the remote up. “No, no, no, no…”

“What is it?” he asked, almost panicking now. If Yoomi looks this worried, then you know for sure that something’s wrong.

“No, this can’t be…” She kept wiping the water off the remote and started pressing the button multiple times.

“It’s not working?!” he asked with wide eyes.

She started hitting it, hoping that it would miraculously power up again but knew that it wouldn’t happen anytime soon. Luckily for them, the waves were crashing onto the other side so they were safe for now, but the waves were growing fast. In a few more minutes, it could swallow this place whole.

Myungsoo, knowing that standing there and waiting for the remote to miraculously work again was not a great idea at that moment, grabbed Yoomi’s arm and ran out through the door. He then closed it and used his body to block the door to prevent it from possibly opening.

“It’s not working,” Yoomi said as she gave up on hitting the remote. “I’m going to our room to try to dry it. Stay here and DO NOT open the door for anybody.” She then started running down the stairs, knowing that it would be faster than the elevators.

“Yah, Song Yoomi! How in the world are you going to dry that?!” he shouted. Yoomi didn’t answer since she was already on her way to their room. “Just leave it to the genius. She’s the genius; she knows what she’s doing…” He kept repeating it to himself and took deep breaths to calm himself down as he held the door firmly closed.

“But then again, her inventions malfunctioned all of the time including now, and now I’m in another near death situation,” he said when he failed to calm himself down. “Great, this is just great.”

A few minutes passed, and he grew more anxious as time went by. The water was flooding more and more through the cracks of the door and it just increased his anxiety. *What’s taking her so long?* he thought in a panic.

Finally, he saw Yoomi burst through the emergency exit and ran up to him. “I fixed it, I fixed it!” she yelled as she ran up to him. She hurriedly pressed the button and he hoped that it would work this time.

Gradually, he didn’t hear the waves crashing against the wall or floor, he didn’t know which, and he sighed in relief. *It worked* he happily thought. After he was sure that there weren’t any moving waves left, he let go of the door and cautiously opened it.

A flood of water came out, and they were both shocked by what they saw. There were chairs all over the place, water everywhere, and random objects lying in random places. Both of their jaws dropped by the damage that they had made.

“We’re in such big trouble…” Yoomi said. They both walked in to examine the scene better. “They are definitely going to charge us for destruction of property and we will probably get suspended from school if they find out.”

Myungsoo widened his eyes. “I can’t have that! My parents are going to kill me if they find out that we destroyed this place!”

Yoomi then remembered something. “Actually, I don’t think that we have to worry about that. I already turned off the security cameras in case something like this happened,” she said reassuringly. “Now all we have to do is to leave this place without them noticing.”

Myungsoo looked at her. “This feels like we had just committed a crime.”

“Well, it is destruction of property and I don’t feel so great about it either.” She could feel the guilt tying knots in her conscience. She didn’t mean for this to happen, but at the same time she admitted that it was stupid to turn the machine to the maximum just because of her curiosity.

Myungsoo saw her look really guilt-ridden by what she did and couldn’t help but comfort her. “Hey, it’s okay,” he said as he hugged her. “You didn’t know that you would destroy this place.”

“But I did, I knew what it was capable of doing but I still did it…” Her voice was shaky and it made him feel horrible.

“No, it’s really okay,” he said as he gently her head. “I know that you didn’t want this to happen.” When he didn’t hear her respond, he broke their hug and looked at her in the eyes.

“Yoomi, don’t be so distressed about this,” he said. “You didn’t mean for this to happen and it all happened because of an accident.”

“Yeah, an accident that I made…” She looked down at the ground, ashamed by what she had done.

Myungsoo gently pushed her chin up to make her look at him again. “Don’t be this way, it was an accident.” He saw that she still looked depressed and sighed. “Let’s just head back for now. I’ll go get the machine.”

He was about to jump into the pool, that had less water now, but was stopped by Yoomi. “I’ll go get it. I was the one that put it there.” She walked over to the edge and got in. As she was walking through the water, they heard footsteps and voices coming closer.

Myungsoo widened his eyes in panic. “Yoomi hurry! Somebody’s coming!” he whispered so that the people coming near them wouldn’t hear.

Yoomi also started to panic and quickened her pace. It was hard to move through the water, but she eventually got there. She then hooked her foot under the handle that she put on the top of it and brought it back up. After that, she went as fast as she could through the water and fortunately, the pool wasn’t that big so it didn’t take that long. When she got to the edge, Myungsoo quickly pulled her up and they frantically searched the place for a place to hide.

They then found a door that was unlocked and saw that it was a storage place for life jackets and pool tubes. Even though there wasn’t much room, they squeezed themselves inside and closed the door just in time as the people finally arrived at the entrance of the pool.

“What in the world…” a man said in shock.

“How did this even happened?” another man said.

Myungsoo and Yoomi could feel their heart rate increasing, afraid from getting caught. Yoomi looked up and saw Myungsoo’s face thanks to the small amount of light coming from the slits of the door. He looked down at her and put a finger to his lips, indicating for her to be quiet.

“What do you mean what happened, it’s your fault!”

“What! No it wasn’t!”

“Yes it was. You were the one that suggested on installing that stupid wave machine to the pool.”

 “And how does that relate to this?”

“Look around you, this place clearly got flooded because of those waves!”

“But I didn’t leave that thing on! I remembered that I turned it off!”

“Well, we all know that you have short-term memory loss.”

“No I don’t!”

“Don’t try to deny it; you have the memory of a goldfish. Just be happy that I came here with you instead of someone else or you would be screwed.”

The man grumbled, but didn’t argue. “Alright fine, but how are we going to cover this up?”

“We’ll just say that Jungha did this. Everybody would believe it if we said that it was Jungha.”

“Yeah, good idea. Let’s just blame it on Jungha,” the man agreed.

“Alright let’s go, there’s no need for us to be here any longer. I’m not going to clean this up.”

“But what about the security cameras? We came here to check to see why they wouldn’t film anything and if they’re broken or not.”

“Are you an idiot? Of course they’re broken, they’re broken from the waves,” the man said. “I told you that you shouldn’t have suggested installing that stupid machine in the first place.” There were footsteps as the man started to walk away.

“I told you that it wasn’t me!” There were more footsteps as the other man left.

When they were sure that the men had left, they both let out a relieved sigh. “They’re gone,” Myungsoo said. He then looked at Yoomi. “See, I told you that you didn’t have to be so depressed about it. That guy would have also destroyed the place without even knowing. Now stop worrying about it because everyone makes mistakes.”

He smiled at her and it made her feel reassured. “Yeah, but I still feel really bad,” she said.

“Well, don’t be because I don’t like it when you’re not smiling…” He looked her in the eyes. “…so please smile.

They stared at each other for a moment before they both noticed something. She was up against a wall with both of his hands next to her, trapping her in between him and the wall. They were so close; close enough to feel each other’s breath. Yoomi instantly blushed and looked away. Her heart rate accelerated from just looking at him. She even momentarily forgot about what she had done to the pool area.

Myungsoo also blushed and gulped. He could see her face right in front of him; it was only a few inches away. He could feel his heart beat faster than ever. “Um, Myungsoo… we should head back now…” she mumbled.

Myungsoo came back to reality. “O-oh, yeah…” He awkwardly opened the door and got out first. Yoomi got out after him. “Um… so…” He awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck. “Let’s go?” he said, more like a question than a suggestion.

Yoomi nodded. “Yeah, let’s go.”

They then walked back to their room with an awkward atmosphere around them.


 

“Yoomi, wake up.”

Yoomi felt somebody shaking her body and slowly opened her eyes. She then saw Myungsoo trying to wake her up, but she rolled the other way and pulled the blanket over her head.

“Yoomi,” he called again. He went to the other side of the bed and tried to wake her up again. “Yoomi, wake up.”

Yoomi reached her arm out and lightly hit the top of his head with her palm. “Please Mr. Alarm Clock, just let me sleep for a while longer.” She kept patting his head like it would make him stop trying to wake her up.

Myungsoo chuckled and gently grabbed her arm. “Wake up sleepyhead,” he said. “Or do you want me to give you a kiss for you to wake up.”

Yoomi instantly opened her eyes when she heard the word ‘kiss.’ She then looked up at him. “You won’t actually kiss me would you?” she asked.

Myungsoo smirked. “Why? Do you actually want me to kiss you?”

She blushed as he leaned in closer. “N-no,” she said.

Myungsoo stopped when he was only a few inches away from her face. “Then get up and change or I’ll think that you actually want me to kiss you.”

She blushed even more and scrambled out of bed. “I’ll change,” she said before going into the bathroom.

Myungsoo chuckled again as he watched her. “She’s as cute as always,” he said to himself.


 

“Where are we going?” Yoomi asked.

“Somewhere…” Myungsoo held up his camera. “I feel like taking pictures today so we’re going anywhere that I think would make a great picture.”

Yoomi nodded. “But didn’t we do that two days ago?” she asked. “We walked so much that I collapsed into bed after we came back.”

“Yeah, but you kept coming into the pictures so I’m retaking them,” he said.

“Then why didn’t you tell me? I would have stayed out of your pictures.”

“But I had a feeling that you wouldn’t listen to me,” he explained. “And what kind of person would I be if I said to you, ‘Hey, get out of the way! You’re ruining my picture!’ It would be very rude of me to say that and I’m not a rude person.”

“Psh, ahjussi, I won’t take it to heart so you can say that to me if you want,” she said.

Myungsoo furrowed his eyebrows. “Ahjussi?” he said in disbelief. “You’re still calling me that?”

“Yeah because it never gets old, but on the other hand…” She looked at him with a mischievous smile. “You are old.” She then stuck her tongue out at him and quickly ran away.

Myungsoo stood there in shock. “Yah! Song Yoomi!” he shouted. “For the millionth time, I’m not old!”

“That’s what you believe!” she shouted back as she laughed at him.

Myungsoo smiled. He liked it when she laughed. He liked that it was back to normal again. He was so worried yesterday that she would try to avoid him or even worse, leave him and spend time with somebody else.

“Myungsoo!”

Myungsoo snapped out of his daze and looked over at her. “I found a field of flowers! Do you want to take pictures here?!”

He quickly ran over to her to see what she was talking about. “Woah…” He looked at the field that was full of bright yellow flowers. He then smiled and nodded. “I like it here.” He excitedly grabbed her arm and pulled her with him.

He led her to a certain part of the field and let go of her arm. “Stay right here,” he said. “I don’t want you to accidently wander into one of my pictures so just stay in this area like a good little puppy.” He as he patted her head like she was a puppy.

Her face scrunched up. “Don’t worry, I’m not going to intrude into your pictures anytime soon so there’s no need tell me this.”

“I was just making sure,” he said with a smile. He then his camera and started to take pictures.

Yoomi looked around as he was taking pictures. It was a beautiful day; blue sky, nice breeze, a perfect day to enjoy nature. She closed her eyes to feel the breeze and soak everything in. It was so relaxing and peaceful that she got lost in her own little world.

Myungsoo saw this and smiled. It made his heart skip a beat when he saw how perfect she looked. The breeze was blowing her long dark brown hair perfectly back; the flowers were pushed by the wind to make them look like they were bowing, infatuated by her beauty. He knew that it was the perfect moment to take a picture of her, so he took as much as he could before she realized what he was doing.

Yoomi heard a lot of camera snaps all of a sudden and snapped out of her daze. She then looked over and saw that he was taking pictures of the flowers next to her. From what she saw, she concluded that he must have wanted to take many pictures of the flowers and shrugged it off.

Myungsoo let out a quiet sigh of relief when she didn’t suspect him of taking pictures of her. He then decided to just take pictures of the flowers alone for now and wait until she was busy doing something else to continue taking pictures of her.

Yoomi heard the snaps again. This time she looked over at him and examined him. He looked like he was fully concentrated in taking pictures. Her heart started beating faster as she watched him. She noticed everything that he was doing; the way he closed one of his eyes to take the picture, the way he looked when he was looking through his pictures, the way he would smile when he found a picture that he really liked.

She blushed when she realized that she was staring at him. She looked away and felt her heart beating at a rapid rate. *Why is my heart beating so fast all of a sudden?* she asked herself. She then looked back at Myungsoo and could feel her heart beating fast again. Because of this, she just became even more confused. She tried to think of many reasons to explain this, and came up with some explanations. *My brain must be releasing adrenaline and other chemicals for some reason.* She then lightly knocked herself on the head. *Brain stop doing that.*

She continued doing so, thinking that her brain was just acting weird all of a sudden - the explanation that it was because of having any sort of feelings for Myungsoo was completely unthought of.


 

Aww, Jeju trip is over now. :(

But I still hope that you liked the past few chapters about them being in Jeju. Also, have a great weekend~^^