Another Job

An Inventor's Mistake

"How am I going to find a job now," Yoomi said as she wandered around the streets of Seoul. "It was already hard to find the first one." She pouted and continued walking gloomily. 

Yoomi was walking alone this time since Myungsoo was busy with after school duties that the teacher assigned him. He insisted for her to go home first since he didn't want her to wait an hour for him. 

"I wish that somebody was hiring," Yoomi said to herself. As she was walking, she could smell the sweet fragrance of pastries floating in the air. She sniffed it and a smile formed on her face. "It smells so sweet." Her mood brightened up after smelling the delicious scent of the pastries.

She followed the smell and ended up in front of a bakery. Through the window, she could see the mouth watering pastries on display. Different types of cakes, doughnuts, pies, and other pastries made her stomach grumble. "It looks so good," she said as she felt herself drooling a little. 

She checked to see if she had any money left and saw that she had none. "I already spent the last of my money buying Myungsoo the ice cream and phone strap," she said with a sigh. "But it looks so good." She went up to the window and stared at the delicious looking food longingly. 

"Young lady," somebody said. Yoomi turned around to look at the person and saw an elderly woman standing in front of her. "It seems like you really want to eat those pastries. 

Yoomi nodded. "Yes, I do. They look really good," she said. 

"Then why don't you buy some?"

Yoomi pouted. "I really want to, but I don't have any money," she replied. 

The woman chuckled at Yoomi's cuteness. "Then how about you work here. I own this store, but I don't have the energy to run it. I really need a worker right now." 

"Really? I can work here?" Yoomi asked excitedly. The woman nodded with a kind smile. "Thank you so much!" Yoomi bowed many times showing her gratitude. 

"There's no need to bow," the woman said. "But dear, what's your name?"

"Yoomi, Song Yoomi," she replied with a bright smile. 

"Song Yoomi, that's a pretty name for a pretty girl," the woman said. 

"Thank you, ma'am," Yoomi said shyly. 

"You can start working whenever you want," the woman said. 

"Oh, then I'll come here tomorrow," Yoomi said. "But is it okay if I work after school?"

"Of course it's fine, this shop isn't that busy in the morning or afternoon anyway," the woman said. "And also call me halmeoni; you don't have to call me ma'am."

Yoomi smiled. "Ne halmeoni."

The woman smiled back before going back into the store, leaving Yoomi standing there in a daze. "Wait, did I really just get a job?" she asked herself. "This isn't a dream right?" She started slapping herself to see if she would wake up. After slapping herself a few times and feeling the pain, she realized that it was not a dream. 

"Yes!" she happily said with a fist pump. "I finally got a job!" She did her own little celebration in the middle of the streets, causing for other people to stare at her weirdly. But she didn't care and just continued on with her celebration while skipping happily back home.


 

"Yoomi, I'm home~" Myungsoo said as he entered through the door. He then took off his shoes and walked inside. It turned out that classroom duties took longer than expected. Especially since the guy that was suppose to help him already bailed out without the teacher knowing. 

"Yoomi?" he said again. He didn't hear a response. "Is she already asleep?"

He walked towards the living room, thinking about resting on the couch, when he saw a figure lying there instead. He instantly recognized the figure as Yoomi and it seemed like she was already sleeping. "Why is she sleeping on the couch?" he quietly asked himself. 

He then saw the dinner laid out on the table with a note next to it. He picked the note up and started reading it. 

Myungsoo, I made your dinner. By the time you’re reading this the food may probably be cold, but oh well. It would be your fault anyway~ 

There was a picture of a face sticking its tongue out at him at the bottom of the note. Myungsoo smiled before placing it down back onto the table. He looked over at Yoomi and saw that she was still sleeping soundly. "This girl, she really likes to tease me," he said. He felt warm and happy knowing that she waited for him.

He then went over to her and picked her up. He carried her all the way to her bedroom and gently placed her down on the bed. "It seems like she really did clean the place up," he said while looking around the room. The room wasn't in such a mess anymore and her tools weren't lying around everywhere. She even got the screw driver off the fan blade and there wasn't even a single sign that the screwdriver was even there in the first place.

"Wow, she's pretty good at cleaning up her mess," he said. He then turned back to Yoomi and pulled the covers over her before crouching down to her eye level. He started staring at her and a soft smile automatically grew on his face as he watched her peacefully sleeping. 

"Song Yoomi, why are you turning me into a creep that watches girls sleep?" he asked her. He examined all of her facial features starting from her eyes and stopped when he saw her lips. 

He gulped as he saw her plump, kissable lips. It looked so soft and tempting and he remembered all of those other times when he was so close to her face, being given many chances to steal her first kiss. He started leaning in without even knowing and closed his eyes, feeling his heart beat faster. Slowly, he got closer and closer until he was just an inch away from her vulnerable lips…

Ding!

He instantly jerked back when his phone beeped, startled by the sound. He then realized what he had almost done. "Oh no, was I just about to kiss her?" he asked himself. He looked at her and felt his heart beating even more rapidly. "Song Yoomi, what have you done to me? First, I watched you sleep and now I was that close to kissing you."

He was bewildered by the way that he was acting since he never felt this way towards a girl before. Girls would always confess to him here and there and many of them fit the criteria of being his ideal type, but why was he interested in her? Song Yoomi, the girl that came from the future. The girl that he thought only brought trouble into his life in the beginning, but then became best friends with. 

"Why do you make me feel this way, Song Yoomi? Why is it that my heart beats faster just from seeing you?" he asked. Of course, Yoomi didn't respond since she was fast asleep, not knowing that Myungsoo was in quite a dilemma with himself. 

Myungsoo thought about it for a while until he finally came up with a conclusion. "I bet it's the hormones," he said as he nodded to himself, satisfied with his answer."Of course, there's no other explanation besides from the hormones."

He then remembered the beep that came from his phone and took it out. He unlocked his phone and saw a message from Dongwoo. 

Hey Myungsoo~ Am I disturbing you? Hope I'm not, I just wanted to say hi so, hi~ :D

Myungsoo looked at the text in confusion. "He's sending one of his nonsense texts again," he said before putting his phone back into his pocket. He looked back at Yoomi and of course, she was still sleeping. "Yup, she's still sleeping," he said to himself. 

He started her cheek with a soft smile on his face and without helping it, placed a kiss on her forehead. "Good night~" he sweetly said before leaving the room.


 

"Myungsoo, Myungsoo, Myungsoo!" Yoomi said as she ran up to him.

"What is it?" he asked.

"I just got another job!" she answered excitedly.

"Really? That fast?"

Yoomi nodded. "There was a nice lady that offered me the job, and the best part is that it's at a bakery so maybe I can bring home leftovers if she lets me," she replied happily.

"It seems like you meet a lot of nice ladies," Myungsoo said. 

"It seems so," Yoomi agreed with him. "Anyways, I have to go. Can't be late for my first day again." She started running out of the school gate, but stopped when Myungsoo called her. 

"Yoomi, wait!" he yelled as he ran after her. Once he caught up to her, he said, "I'll come with you. I'm also looking for a job."

Yoomi furrowed her eyebrows. "Why would you want a job? You already have a lot of money."

"I want to have some work experience for the future," he said. "And working at a bakery seems like pretty fun."

"But you can't work at the same place as me. We won't get paid as much if we both work there."

"Who cares, I don't really need the money anyway."

"But I do. I still have to pay you back. Can't you work somewhere else?" she pleaded. 

"No," he said stubbornly. "I want to work there and you can't stop me," he said as he crossed his arms. 

"Then since you don't need the money, how about you give your pay to me? That way I can pay you back faster," she suggested. 

"Nope, I'm not going to do that. If I work hard and earn money then I'll keep it," he said. "If you want to pay me back then just work even harder."

Yoomi frowned. "Aish, so stingy," she said before walking away. 

"Yah," Myungsoo said. "Don't walk away from me, you still have to lead me to your workplace."

"Well just find it yourself," she said as she stuck out her tongue. She then started running away as fast as she could, hoping that she would lose Myungsoo along the way.

"Yah, come back!" he yelled as he chased after her. 

Yoomi ran all around the city, going through different streets and alleys as Myungsoo continued to run after her. After running for a while, she finally stopped in front of the bakery. "Did I finally lose him?" she asked herself, completely out of breath. She looked around and saw no trace of Myungsoo.

"Yes, I lost him," she said happily. "This is one of the times that I'm so grateful for my memory. If I didn't have an eidetic memory then I would've been lost by now." She started towards the door of the bakery with a happy smile, but when she was about to open the door a hand laid on her shoulder. 

"Yah," a familiar voice said. "Did you really think that you would lose me that easily?"

Yoomi widened her eyes and slowly turned around. She was shocked when she saw an out-of-breath Myungsoo glaring at her. "H-how did you-"

"I secretly installed an app that would track your phone," he replied. "I can't believe that you didn't notice it."

Yoomi quickly took out her phone and checked to see if he was telling the truth. Truth to be told, there really was an app in her phone that lets him track her. "Wow, I can't believe that I didn't notice this," she said as she immediately deleted the app. 

"Wait, why are you deleting it?" he asked. 

"Because this app is an invasion of privacy," she replied. "And I can't believe that I ran all around the city for nothing."

"It wasn't for nothing, you made me become out of breath," he said. "Which you would pay for later because I hate being out of breath and what I hate even more is being sweaty."

"I'm already paying for it, you already found the place where I'm working at," she said grumpily. She then turned around and opened the door to the shop. "Stupid Kim Myungsoo, always interfering when I try to make progress," she mumbled. 

"Yah, I heard that!" he said, also going in. 

As soon as they entered, halmeoni came over and greeted them. "Yoomi, you're here," she happily said.

"Yes, I'm here halmeoni," Yoomi said with a smile.

"And who's that?" she asked as she saw Myungsoo. "Is he your boyfriend?"

They were both surprised by what halmeoni said. "No, he's definitely not my boyfriend, halmeoni," Yoomi quickly denied. 

Without knowing, Myungsoo's heart sunk a little seeing Yoomi deny it that fast. "Yeah, we're just friends," he said. 

"Oh, then I'm sorry for saying that," halmeoni said. "But why are you here? Are you here to buy some pastries?"

"Actually, I'm here for a job," he said. "I heard that you were hiring so I came here, hoping that I would get hired."

Halmeoni brightened up. "That's great news!" she said. "You're hired and you can start today with Yoomi. Now you two come over here and I'll get you your aprons." She went over and gave them red aprons that had the shop's name on it. "You need to wear this whenever you work."

Myungsoo and Yoomi put their aprons on and waited for their next instructions. "So you are just going to be selling those pastries and cleaning up tables if they're in a mess. Also, is it okay if you two clean the shop at the end of the day? My back can't take mopping these days," halmeoni said. 

"Yes, we can do it," Yoomi said. 

"Then that's great. I'll just be in the kitchen in the back if you need me. Oh, but before I forget, what's your name?" halmeoni asked Myungsoo.

"Myungsoo, Kim Myungsoo," he replied.

"Okay, so it's Kim Myungsoo and Song Yoomi," halmeoni said as she made a mental note. "You two have to remind me to get you your name tags just in case I forget. You know, my brain these days can even forget the simplest of things."

"Ne, halmeoni. We'll make sure to remind you," Yoomi said.

Halmeoni smiled. "Then I'll go now, I'm going to trust you two with the store," she said. 

Yoomi nodded and returned the smile. "Halmeoni, leave it to us. We'll make sure that we do everything you ask us to do," she said. 

Halmeoni smiled in gratefulness. "Thank you Yoomi. You know, you're like the granddaughter that I've always wanted," she said. She then left and went to the back of the shop. 

"So let's get to work," Yoomi said as she went behind the counter. 

Myungsoo followed her and stood next to her. "So we're just going to wait until the customers come to us?" he asked. 

"Yup," she replied while nodding. "That's what I did for my last job."

They stood there and waited, but it seemed like nobody was coming in. 

"Ugh, I'm bored and my legs hurt," Myungsoo said. 

"What do you want me to do about it? I can't make the customers come in here," Yoomi said. "Wait, actually, maybe I can," she said as an idea came to her head. "Myungsoo, you said that all of the girls find you appealing and all, right?" she asked. 

"Of course," he replied. "Don't you know how many confessions I have to reject in one day?"

"Then you're fit for the job," she said as she started pushing him out the door. 

"Wait, what are you doing?" he asked. 

"Since you said that all of the girls like you, go out there and lure them into the store."

"And how am I going to do that?"

"I don't know, just ask them to come in with one of your smiles. You make all of the girls swoon just by smiling, especially when your dimples come out," she said. 

"Wait, does that mean that you observed me long enough to actually know that about me? When you said that all of the girls swoon over me when I smile, does that also include you?" he asked with a playful smirk. 

Yoomi started blushing, knowing that she made a big mistake saying that. "No," she denied. "I just saw how other girls reacted when you smile at them."

"Whatever you say, but your blushing face is giving away your true feelings," he said. He leaned closer to her face and smiled. "Song Yoomi, did you already fall for me?"

Yoomi blushed even harder and pushed him away. "I said no, I didn't fall for you," she replied. "Now just go out there and bring in customers." She pushed him out of the door with enough force that almost caused him to fall face first into the concrete. 

"Alright, alright, I'll do it. There's no need to shove," he said. 

Yoomi finally pushed him all the way outside, to the front of the door. "And don't come back until you bring in at least 20 customers," she said before walking back into the store. 

"Sheesh, she's so feisty when she's embarrassed," he said with a smile. "Now, I guess that I'll have to use my charms if I want some customers coming in." He put on his best smile and approached a girl walking in his direction. 

"Excuse me," he said. 

The girl looked at him and was stunned to see such a handsome guy talking to her like that. "Y-yes," she stuttered. 

"I work in that bakery right there and it seems like there aren't that many customers," he said with a pout. He could see her cheeks getting pink already and knew that it was working. "So can you come in? A pretty lady like you would definitely like the pastries there."

"B-but I'm on a diet," she said. 

"Aww, really? That's too bad, I really thought that you would be that one special customer that comes first to the shop, but I guess not," he said with a sigh. He turned around and started walking away. *Just wait, she'll come in 3... 2... 1...*

"W-wait," she said. "I guess I can forget about my diet for today."

Myungsoo smiled in victory before turning back around. "Really? You'll buy something?" he asked. The girl nodded. "Then come right in." He led her into the shop and saw Yoomi looking at him with a shocked face. 

"Pick anything you want," Myungsoo said as he showed the girl the display case and went to stand next to Yoomi.

"How did you do that? It hasn't even been 2 minutes since you've went out," she whispered. 

"I guess that I'm just too charming," he replied. 

The girl picked a few, paid for them, and went over to a table to eat them. "Alright, that's one, but I told you to get 20 customers before you could enter again. There's 19 left to go," Yoomi said. 

"But why can't you do it? I'm too lazy to go outside again," he said. 

"Stop complaining and just go, halmeoni is counting on us," she said. Myungsoo finally agreed and went outside again. "Aigoo, he's way too lazy," Yoomi said disapprovingly. 

After 10 minutes, Yoomi could already see a crowd of girls forming in the shop. "Woah, where did those girls come from? I remember that there were only 4 customers like 7 minutes ago," she said. Before she knew it, the shop was even more crowded with girls. "Here you go, ma'am," she said as she gave a bag of pastries to a girl. 

"Wow, the shop is getting really busy," she said to herself. She looked around and was bewildered that all of the tables were taken by girls and there was barely any space left. 

"So Yoomi, how did I do?" Myungsoo asked as he walked in. As soon as he walked in, all of the girls stared at him like they were waiting for him the whole time. 

"You did well-"

"Oppa, can I have your number?" A girl walked up to him and held out her phone. 

"Sorry, but I don't give my number away to strangers," he said with a smile, trying to be polite. 

The girl didn't waver and continued talking. "That's okay, I guess that I'll just have to not be a stranger then," she said. She flashed a smile at him before going back to her seat. 

Myungsoo was indifferent and went to Yoomi. "Woah, you act like that happens every day," she said surprised. 

"It does," he said. "But since I've brought in so many customers, don't I get a reward?"

"Of course not," she replied without skipping a beat. "It's part of your job, the only reward you get is when halmeoni pays you your salary."

"But can't I have another wish or something?" he asked with a hopeful look on his face. 

"Nope, you already have 2," she said. "Also, I'm not a genie. I'm not planning on granting 3 wishes for you."

Myungsoo pouted. "But come on, look at this place. It's completely filled with customers," he said. "Can't I at least get something?"

Yoomi shook her head. "Nope," she said. "Also, that table over there needs cleaning." She pointed at a table and gave him a rag to clean it with. 

"Aish, you're no fun," he said before taking the rag and going over to the table.


 

Just like I said yesterday, I'm posting another chapter. Also, thank you for the comments. I'm glad that you guys actually like the previous chapter and didn't find it boring. :)

And thank you inft392 for upvoting~^^