Last Day Together

An Inventor's Mistake

Double Update! Read the previous chapter if you haven't.^^


“Myungsoo… Myungsoo!”

Myungsoo slightly opened his eyes and the first thing he saw was Yoomi’s face in front of him. “What is it?” he asked in a groggy voice.

He had just woken up and she was the cause for his awakening. He wasn’t mad or anything, just a little grouchy from not being able to wake up naturally at his own time. It was also the weekend, so of course he was grouchy from being interrupted from his sleep.

“Should we go somewhere today?” she asked him.

“Can’t we just stay home and do nothing?”

She pouted. “But I want to go somewhere with you today. It’s our last day together after all…”

Myungsoo fully opened his eyes. From that one statement, he became fully awake. “Oh right… this is our last day together.”

She nodded in response. “So do you want to go somewhere today?”

“I should be asking you that,” he said as he sat up from his bed. “You can choose where we go. I’ll go wherever you want to go.”

She stood up from her crouched position on the floor, next to his bed, and smiled at him. “Then do you want to go to the amusement park today?”

He thought about it for a moment before nodding. “Sure, when do you want to go?”

“Whenever you’re ready,” she replied.

He nodded again. “Okay, so I’ll just ge—wait a minute… it’s only 7 in the morning?!” he said in surprise when he finally saw the clock.

“Yup.”

“Why did you wake me up so early?”

“I just… wanted to spend the whole day with you, and I thought that if I woke you up early then we would have more time to spend together,” she mumbled.

He suddenly felt the feeling of butterflies in his stomach when he heard her answer. A smile also unconsciously grew on his face. “Okay, but it’s a little too early right now. I don’t think that the amusement park is open yet.”

There was a look of disappointment on her face. “Really?” she said before letting out a small sigh. She then smiled. “Okay, we’ll just go later.”

He saw that she was about to leave and immediately stopped her by reaching out and holding onto her hand. “Wait!” he said. “Um… since there’s a lot of time before the amusement park opens…”

She turned around and faced him with a confused expression. “Do you…” he continued. “…want to stay in bed with me?”

She tilted her head. “But aren’t you going back to sleep?”

“Maybe… but I need something to hug.”

“But don’t you have spare pillows that you can hug?”

“Yeah, but…”

“You’re lazy to go get them, aren’t you?” she asked. “If so then I can get them for you.”

“It’s not like that. I don’t want to hug the pillows,” he said. “I want to hug you.”

She instantly blushed at what he said while trying to hide a smile. “Well… that’s too bad since I don’t want to hug you,” she said before sticking out her tongue and running away.

“Y-Yah! Song Yoomi! How can you say that to your boyfriend?” he asked as he got up.

He then started to chase her around the house and only caught her when he successfully trapped her in the living room.

“There’s no way to escape now,” he said while trying to catch his breath.

“Yes there is,” she said as she panted. “It’s right behind you.”

“But there’s no way that you can slip past me.”

“I’ll think of a way,” she said. She took a few minutes to look around when her eyes suddenly widened. “Myungsoo, I think that Sunggyu is at the door right now.”

“Haha, very funny,” he said sarcastically. “You think that I’ll fall for that?”

“But he really is at the door right now.”

“But if he’s at the door then why isn’t he coming in? He already knows the passcode to my house.”

“I think he forgot it. Look, he’s ringing the doorbell right now.”

“I’m not going to fall for—“ he stopped midsentence when he heard the sound of the doorbell.

“See, he’s ringing the doorbell since he forgot the passcode.”

He furrowed his eyebrows before turning around. “Did he real—not so fast!” He quickly turned around just in time to catch her around the waist before she could run out of the living room. “You think that you could fool me didn’t you?”

She frowned at him. “Well I did fool you for a few seconds, but your reflexes are way too fast.” She then pouted. “I could’ve gotten away if only you didn’t turn around that quickly,” she muttered.

He chuckled before pulling her closer to him with her back towards him. “Either way, you still were caught by me so you have to cuddle with me now,” he said while securely holding her in his arms.

She blushed. “B-But isn’t it time to go yet?”

“No, we still have a few hours.” He then looked at her with a pout. “You don’t want to cuddle with me?”

“Um…”

He frowned when she didn’t immediately answer. “You really don’t want to cuddle with me?”

“Um… aren’t you wondering about the doorbell?” she asked him, trying to change the subject.

“Doorbell?” His mind was blank for a second when he realized that a few minutes ago, someone had rang the doorbell at the front door. “I forgot to open the door!” he exclaimed with wide eyes.

“You don’t have to open the door,” she said. “It was actually my phone that made that sound. Didn’t you see me with an arm behind my back?”

He took another minute to think before nodding. “So you tricked me into thinking that Sunggyu rang the doorbell when it was actually your phone that made that sound?”

“Yup,” she said. “So Sunggyu is not out there right now feeling annoyed that you haven’t opened the door yet.”

He then frowned at her as his arms wrapped around her waist again while his chin was laid onto her shoulder. “You’re such a bad person for tricking me.”

“I know,” she said with a chuckle. “But you’re also an idiot for being tricked by me. Especially that time at the aquarium when I said that Miss A’s Suzy was behind you and you actually fell for it and turned around.”

He glared at her. “Next time I won’t get tricked.”

“Are you sure about that? No offense, but right here…” She placed her forefinger onto his forehead. “…it’s kind of dense,” she teased.

He stared at her for a moment before saying, “You’re mean.”

“I know,” she said.

They then stood there in a comfortable silence when Myungsoo suddenly blurted, “You smell nice.”

She looked at him weirdly. “Are you smelling me?”

“No, just your hair.”

“Did some dog DNA remain after you turned back into a human?”

“Not that I know of, but I’m sure that I’m 100% human. And I’m only smelling you since you use my shampoo, and my shampoo smells nice since I was the one who picked it out.”

“So you’re only smelling me because I use your shampoo?” He nodded. “Then it’s a good thing that I washed my hair yesterday then. If I didn’t then you wouldn’t even want to hug me since my hair would stink.”

“Actually, even if you stink I’ll still want to hug you,” he said. “I’ll just hold my nose and breathe through my mouth instead.”

Her face turned dark. “Wait, so you’re saying that I stink?” He became silent and didn’t answer the question. “Yah, Kim Myungsoo!”


 

“So did you have fun today?” Myungsoo asked as they were reaching their home.

“Yeah, it was really fun!” Yoomi replied with a bright smile. “But I can’t believe that you’re afraid of heights. I thought that you were tougher than that.”

“I am tough! I just… was surprised when the rollercoaster went down the slope.”

“So because of that you screamed like a little girl?”

“No! But what’s the point of going on rollercoaster if you don’t scream? If you don’t scream on a rollercoaster then that just proves that the rollercoaster isn’t a good one.”

She let out a small laugh. “Okay then,” she said.

They then entered the house as Yoomi let out a quiet sigh when she realized that the time had come for her to leave. “Myungsoo…” She turned towards him. “…do you want to help me push my machine towards the park?”

His face turned grim all of a sudden. He knew that it was time for Yoomi to go now and that he’ll probably never see her again, but even though he wanted to do everything he could to make her stay, he still nodded and agreed to help her push her time machine towards the park.

“It was fun while I was here,” Yoomi said as they were heading to their destination. “I got to experience new things, make new friends…”

“Even got a super handsome boyfriend like me…” he said, finishing her sentence.

Yoomi laughed. “You’re not that handsome,” she said.

“Are you kidding me? I’m handsome enough to be an actor. You really hit the jackpot when you got me to like you.”

She laughed again. “Yeah, yeah, whatever you say.”

After a few minutes, they finally reached the park and the comfortable atmosphere between them disappeared.

Yoomi looked around the park. “Why does it seem like no one ever comes here?” she questioned after seeing no one there besides from them. “But at least this makes it easier for me to leave without too much commotion.”

“Do you…” Myungsoo paused before shaking his head. “I mean… um…”

She looked up at him and saw that he couldn’t even look her in the eyes. “Myungsoo…” she called. She waited until he made eye contact with her before giving him a small smile. “Thank you for everything. Thank you for helping me while I was here. Thank you for taking me in even though I was a complete stranger. And also… thank you for being there at the park that day and letting me meet you.”

He continued to stare at her with an unreadable expression before suddenly pulling her into an embrace. “I don’t know if I can let you go,” he said in a small voice.

“I… don’t know if I want to go either,” she said. “But I have to go. My father is waiting for me over there.”

He pulled away from the hug. “Remember the kiss on the lips that I told you to wait for?” he asked her. She nodded in response. “Well, I was actually saving it for this moment.”

And as soon as he finished his sentence, he brought his lips to hers and closed his eyes. Yoomi was taken aback at first, but then relaxed and closed her eyes also. This time, the kiss was different from the other times that they had kissed. This one was not like the small, sweet pecks on the lips, but was more passionate and had a hint of sadness in it. They then broke apart after some time and stood there without saying anything.

“This is bad. I’d better leave soon,” Yoomi said, breaking the silence. “If I stay any longer then I might not be able to willingly leave.”

He let out a weak chuckle. “Then I should keep you here longer,” he joked.

She smiled as she leaned towards him to give him a peck on the lips. “I love you,” she said. She then smiled once more before getting out of his arms and taking a step back. “And I’ll… miss you a lot.”

Myungsoo could feel his heart clenching when he saw her stepping away from him. “Me too,” he said. “I love you, too.”

She continued smiling at him while slowly walking backwards towards her machine. He could see that her eyes were getting moist, probably threatening for a tear to drop down at any moment, but he knew that she wouldn’t let that happen. He knew that she was trying very hard not to cry and because of that, he was doing the same.

He held a hand up and slowly waved at her while forcing a smile. She waved back at him and got into her machine. The door of the machine closed and he could see her doing something before looking back up at him. She then gave him one last smile and wave as the machine, as well as her in it, was starting to slowly fade away.

It took some time before she was completely gone, with no trace of her left in the park. That was when a tear finally slipped from his eyes, and he allowed himself to cry after holding it in for so long. And he fell to his knees—his head hanging low—while he started crying by himself, all alone at the park.


 

Yoomi is gone now. I'm really sad to see her leave, but of course she had to go back to her home. But at the same time I feel really sad for Myungsoo. :(

Also sorry for not replying to your comments. I was afraid that if I replied to them then I would've spoiled the ending, but I'll reply to them again now that this chapter is up. XC

But I still hope that you guys will have a happy weekend even though this chapter didn't end on a cheerful note.