Time Machine

An Inventor's Mistake

"Yoomi-ah~" said someone.

Yoomi stopped what she was doing and looked back. As soon as she saw the person, a broad smile grew onto her face. "Dad!" she said happily as she got up. She ran over to her father and gave him a big, bear hug.

"Aigoo, I've only been gone for a few days. Did you miss me already?" her father asked.

Yoomi broke the hug and looked up at him. "Of course I did, and to be exact, you were gone for 4 days, 8 hours, and 36 seconds," she said matter-of-factly.

"Aigoo, my daughter is as smart as always," her father said with smile. He then looked behind her and saw a machine that was almost completed. "Are you still working on the time machine?"

"Yeah, it's almost finish," Yoomi said.

Her father walked towards the machine and examined it. "Do you really have to build one? You have built so many other things and can build so many things, but why did you choose to build a time machine?" he asked.

"Like you said, I have built so many things, but the only thing that I haven't built is this time machine. I'm definitely going to build one even if it's the last thing that I'll do," she said determinedly.

Her father knew how determined she is and decided to just let her build it without questioning too much. "Alright, but promise me that you won't cause any trouble," he said as he held up his pinky.

"I promise," Yoomi said as she hooked her pinky onto his.

"Good, now, I need to get back to the company for some business," her father said.

"Aww, do you have to go?" Yoomi asked.

"Yes I do, but I will be back in a few days," he said. He hugged his daughter and started to walk towards the door.

"Bye dad," Yoomi said as she waved.

"Bye Yoomi," he said as he waved back. He gave her a smile before closing the door and disappearing around the corner.

Yoomi's pov:

So you guys must be curious about me right? Even if you're not, I'm going to introduce myself anyway. Hello, my name is Song Yoomi and I'm 18 years old. I was born in the year 3021 in the 31st century. The 31st century is full of technology from high-tech houses to talking robots, and don't worry, the robots will not take over anytime soon.

Back on topic, my dad is famous for inventing the F.C.F. which stands for Flying Car of the Future. Yeah, I know, my dad isn't that creative with names, but when he showed his creation to the public, it was a huge success. Everybody started buying them and before you knew it, everybody owned one. My dad also owns the only F.C.F. business so he is constantly trying to improve his product. That's why he is so busy all of the time.

Even though he was busy, he somehow met my mom and had me. Sadly, my mom died during childbirth so I was never able to make memories with her, but that was okay since my dad was always there for me. He became both my father and mother figure.

Throughout my life, I have accomplished many things. I graduated college at the age of 10 and have invented countless of items. I wanted to share my inventions so I started my own little shop. The shop flourished the first year it came out and I still have it until today. Actually, I'm in the back of the shop right now since it's pretty quiet here and is a perfect place for working on my inventions.

Okay, now on to the time machine. I've been working on this thing for 3 years straight and it's the longest that I have ever worked on an invention.  "Alright, now, the only thing left to do is to put that here, and... voila," I said as I finally finished building it. "The only thing left to do now is to try it out."

I opened the door to the machine and got in. "So, engine." I pulled a lever and I could hear the engine running. "Check, roof." I pushed a button and the roof came up. "Check, and last, but not least." I pushed a button and a cup holder popped out. "Cup holder, check." I pushed the button again and the cup holder went back in.

"Okay, everything's ready, now I only have to type in the date that I want to go to," I said. I looked at the keypad and thought of a specific date.  "Hmm, how about this." I typed in a date and pressed enter. I saw a flash of light as I saw myself traveling through what looked like a wormhole and grew excited. There was another flash of light as I closed my eyes. As I opened my eyes I saw an unfamiliar place.

"Am I there?" I asked myself. I looked around and didn't see the familiar surrounding of the back of my little shop, but instead saw weird looking houses that looked more like a hut than a house. I then remembered this scene from a book about the history of Korea. "Am I in the Joseon Era?" I looked around again and saw some people wearing hanboks.

I grew excited as I soaked in the scenery. "Yes, I'm there!" I said as I made a fist pump. Then I noticed how the people started to look at me and my machine, and were whispering to the people next to them. "Wait, did I forget to add the ability to blend into my surroundings?" I asked myself as I checked my machine. "Great, I did." I said as I facepalmed myself.

"Alien!" I heard someone yell. I looked over and saw a man yelling while pointing at me. "It's an alien!" As he was yelling, a group of men wearing uniforms came from behind him.

"Oh, aren't those the policemen from the Joseon pictures that I saw?" I asked myself. I saw them running towards me as I realized what was happening. I started to panic as I quickly typed on the keypad. There was a flash as I saw myself travel through the wormhole again. "Phew, that was close" I said before leaning back in my seat.

As I got to my destination, I looked around and saw a brachiosaurus. "Okay, this is the time that I wanted to go to, but I'm pretty sure that a brachiosaurus did not live in Korea back then," I said. I looked at my keypad again and saw that I accidentally selected North America. "What, how in the world did I select that?" I looked around again and was amazed at the sight of so many different dinosaurs.

"Oh well, at least I'm able to see all of these dinosaurs," I said as I examined the setting in front of me. Suddenly, I felt the ground vibrate along with a thump. Then, it happened again. I looked up and saw all of the dinosaurs running away. "Why are they running away?" I asked myself. I steered my machine so that I could see what was making that noise and saw the sight of my life.

It was a tyrannosaurus rex and it was coming right at me. "No, not again!" I said as I hurriedly typed onto my keypad. As I saw the T-rex start to sprint towards me, I pressed enter and closed my eyes.

"There's no place like home. There's no place like home," I said to myself. When I stopped feeling any vibration from the ground, I slowly opened one eye. The T-rex was gone and it did not look like I was in the dinosaur era anymore. I let out a sigh of relief, but then noticed that I'm not home. I looked around and saw that I was in a weird looking area. I quickly checked my keypad again and saw that instead of typing in the year 3021, I typed in 2014.

"How in the world did I even type in that number?" I asked myself. "I'm so stupid," I said as I started to hit my head repeatedly with my palm. "Okay, no more self harm and no more mistakes." I typed in the correct date of the time that I was living in and pressed enter. When I pressed enter, there was no flash of light. I became confused as I pressed enter again. Nothing happened. I kept trying again and again, but nothing happened.

"Why isn't this thing working?" I asked myself as I grew frustrated. I looked out the window and saw that it was raining heavily. "Oh great, it's raining. No wonder it's not working." I buried my face in my hands in frustration.

"This can't be happening," I said as I started to bang my head repeatedly onto my machine. After I was done sulking I opened the door and got out of my machine. I got completely soaked, but I didn't care. I examined my machine and knew for sure that it was broken. "No, I just made it. It can't break now, not when I'm not even in my own timeline!"

I kicked my machine out of anger, but only ended up hurting my foot. "Ow!" I said as I grabbed my foot. When it stopped hurting I sat down. "This can't be happening, this just can't be happening." I buried my face in my hands again feeling devastated. Then, all of a sudden, I stopped feeling the raindrops falling on me. I took my face out of my hands and slowly looked up. In front of me, I saw a boy around my age holding an umbrella above me.

"Are you okay?" he asked with a worried expression.