Partners

An Inventor's Mistake

"Rock, paper, scissors!" 

The Infinite members were playing rock paper scissors to see who would share a room with each other. Hoya put out rock, Dongwoo had scissors, Woohyun had scissors, Sungyeol had rock, Myungsoo had rock, and Sunggyu had paper.

"Yes!" Dongwoo and Woohyun happily high-fived each other when they saw that they both had put out scissors. "Woohoo! We're not going to be rooming with Sunggyu!"

Sunggyu heard their celebration and was irritated by what they said. "Yah! What's so wrong with sharing a room with me?" he asked. 

Sungjong decided to answer his question. "Well, first off you snore, you complain about everything, you-"

"Alright, I get it," Sunggyu said, interrupting Sungjong. "Okay, let's do it again," he said.

The other members signaled each other behind his back. "Rock, paper, scissors!"

Myungsoo put out paper, Sungyeol put out paper, Hoya put out scissors, and Sungjong put out scissors. Sunggyu was the only one that had out rock. When they saw the result, everybody started to cheer except for Sunggyu.

"Yes, we're safe!" Sungyeol said as he hugged Myungsoo.

"I know, I was afraid that I would get stuck with him again!" Myungsoo said happily as he hugged back. 

Sunggyu watched them grumpily, unhappy that he had to find somebody else to partner up with. "Now who am I going to become partners with?"

"You can always go ask your fangirls," Dongwoo answered. 

"My fangirls?! They will tear me apart if I share a room with one of them!" Sunggyu said. 

"Actually, that’s kind of hard to believe," Woohyun said. "I'm pretty sure that Sunggyu doesn’t even have fangirls." Sunggyu gave him a death glare, but Woohyun was unfazed since he was already use to it.

"But where's Yoomi?" Hoya asked when he noticed that Yoomi wasn't there with them.

"She's going around to try to find somebody to partner up with," Myungsoo answered. Hoya nodded in understanding and went back to talking with Sungjong.

"Guys," Yoomi said as she walked up to them looking dejected. "I have a problem."

They all turned towards her. "What is it?" Myungsoo asked. 

Yoomi pouted. "Nobody wants to become my partner," she replied. 

"What?! Nobody?" Myungsoo said in disbelief. "Did you ask everyone?"

She nodded. "Yeah, I asked everyone, but they all already have partners," she said. "Now what am I going to do?"

They all started to think. "If everybody is already taken then do you think that you can room by yourself?" Sunggyu asked. 

Yoomi nodded. "Yeah, but do you think that the teacher would let me room by myself?"

"Of course he would," Sunggyu replied. "But you're sure that you're okay with having a room all to yourself right?"

"Absolutely," she replied. 

"Then let's go ask the teacher, I bet that he would be fine with it," Sunggyu said. They were about to walk to the teacher together, but Myungsoo stepped in. 

"I'll take her," he said. "He's also my teacher so I bet that I can tell him about the situation better since I know him."

Sunggyu thought about it. "Hmm, you have a point," he said. He then turned towards Yoomi. "Yoomi, you're fine with going with Myungsoo right?" he asked. 

Yoomi nodded and smiled. "Yeah, I'm fine with it," she replied. 

Sunggyu smiled back. "Then go, but come back quickly. I don't want you to lose your time to eat," he said. 

Myungsoo watched the both of them. "Why are you acting like that?" he asked. 

"Because she's the only one out of all of you that I actually care about," Sunggyu replied. "Seriously, we've been together for such a long time, but you still don't respect me."

"Psh, whatever," Myungsoo said as he turned towards Yoomi. "Come on Yoomi, let's go."

Sunggyu saw him walking away. "And that's exactly what I'm talking about! No respect whatsoever for your friend!" he yelled so that Myungsoo could hear. "And I'm also older than you!" Sunggyu saw that he was ignored and grumpily walked back towards the other members. "Kids these days, they don't respect their-"

"Elders," Sungyeol finished for him. 

"I was about to say friends," Sunggyu said. "And do I look like an elder to you?"

"Well, actually, yeah. You do look like one to me and probably to everyone else also," Sungyeol said. He then saw the anger in Sunggyu's face and knew that he shouldn't have said that. "Oh, look at the time. I have to go study for... um... a quiz." Sungyeol smiled and waved. "Bye." He then ran away before Sunggyu could do anything to him. 

"Kids these days," Sunggyu said as he glared at the running Sungyeol. He then shook his head in disapproval and decided to let Sungyeol off this one time since he didn't feel like running. 


 

"I'm sorry Yoomi, but I can't do that," Mr.Yong said. "We only have a limited number of rooms so we can't have one student who gets one all to themselves."

"But everybody already has a partner," Myungsoo said. 

"Hmm, I'm pretty sure that there are still some people who didn't come to me with a partner yet." Mr.Yong started to check his list. "Well, there are 3 girls, including you, and 7 boys, including you Myungsoo, who didn't come to me with a partner." He then turned towards Yoomi. "Maybe you can partner up with one of the girls that didn't come to me yet," he said. "I'll give you their names. 

Yoomi nodded. "Okay, I'll try to find them," she replied. 

"Mr.Yong," Heajung said as she walked into the classroom. "Haeun and I are going to be partners." Haeun walked in behind her and stood next to her. 

When Heajung saw Myungsoo standing there, her eyes instantly brightened up. "Oh, Myungsoo-ah," she said with a smile. She then saw Yoomi standing next to him and immediately frowned. "Don't tell me that you're going to partner up with her."

Myungsoo shook his head. "I'm not partnering up with her," he said. 

Heajung instantly smiled again. "Then that's great. I don't want you to stay in the same room with another girl," she said. Suddenly, an idea came to her head. "Myungsoo-ah, how about partnering up with me?"

Myungsoo almost choked on his spit. "What! Partnering up with you?!"

Heajung nodded eagerly. "Haeun would be fine if she doesn't partner up with me, so how about it?"

"No, I'm not going to partner up with you," he replied. 

"Oh, come on, please?" Heajung said as she walked up to him. She clung onto his arm and started doing aegyo. "Oppa~, let's partner up."

Myungsoo didn't like Heajung's attempt at aegyo. "Get off of me, I'm not partnering up with you." He tried to push her off, but she wouldn't let go.

"Oppa, I know that you want to partner up with me. You don't need to play hard to get," she said. "So please become my partner."

She gave him the puppy dog eyes, but it didn't have any effect on him. *Psh, Yoomi's puppy dog face is way better than hers,* he thought. He then tried to get his arm out of her grip.

"Heajung, if he doesn't want to be your partner then he doesn't have to be your partner," Mr.Yong said. "Now let go of him."

Heajung pouted and reluctantly let go of Myungsoo's arm. Myungsoo breathed out a sigh of relief and took a few steps away from her. "But Seonsaengnim, Myungsoo really wants to be my partner, but he’s just not admitting it yet."

Mr.Yong turned towards Myungsoo. “Myungsoo, do you want to be Heajung’s partner?”

Myungsoo instantly shook his head. “No, not at all,” he replied.

Heajung heard his answer and looked at him in surprise. “What?! You really don’t want to be partners with me?!” Myungsoo nodded. “Then fine, but you’ll regret this later!” Heajung then stormed out of the class.

“Seonsaengnim, just put me and Heajung down as partners,” Haeun said before leaving the classroom.

Myungsoo watched them in disbelief. *That girl is crazy. If I had to share a room with her then it would be my worst nightmare.* He shivered at the thought and was happy to know that he was going to share a room with his friend rather than a crazy fangirl.

 “Um, Yoomi,” Mr.Yong said. “It seems like everybody is already partnered up except for you, Myungsoo, Sunggyu, Sungyeol, Woohyun, Dongwoo, Hoya, and Sungjong. I think that you would have to partner up with either Myungsoo or one of the other people who I have named. I’m sorry for the inconvenience, but if you want then maybe I can put you with 2 other girls. But then one of you would either have to share a bed or sleep on the floor.”

“No, it’s okay Seonsaengnim. I’m good friends with them, so I think that we can share a room if they agree.” Mr.Yong nodded and Yoomi started to think. *Well, I’m already living with Myungsoo, so it wouldn’t be that different if we share a room. But maybe he would think that it’s annoying if I keep sticking around him all of the time. I should probably ask Sunggyu instead. I don’t think that he has a partner yet.*

“Seonsaengnim, I’ve made up my mind,” Yoomi said. “I’ll go ask Sunggyu if he wants to partner up with me.”

Myungsoo stared at her in disbelief. *Sunggyu?! Why would she want to room with Sunggyu?!* He started to imagine Yoomi and Sunggyu sharing a bedroom together and quickly shook that thought out of his head. *No, I won’t let this happen!*

“Seonsaengnim, I want to partner up with her,” he said.

Yoomi looked at him in surprise. “But don’t you want to share a room with the others instead?” she said.

“No,” he answered making Yoomi even more confused. “Um… I mean… you would bother Sunggyu. He’s getting old these days, so it would be bad if he had to stay in the same room with somebody as talkative as you.”

“But I don’t talk that much,” she said.

“That’s what you think, but actually you talk way too much,” he said. “Sunggyu would be annoyed if he had to stay in the same room as you.”

Yoomi took a moment to think about it. “You know, I’m the only one who can actually stand you, so you should pick me,” Myungsoo said, trying to convince her. “You don’t want to bother the others do you?”

She quickly shook her head. “No, I don’t want to bother the others,” she said. She then smiled. “Alright, let’s be partners then. After all, best friends stick together.”

Myungsoo instantly smiled. *Yes! I’m on a roll at convincing her today!* he thought happily.

“Then I’m guessing that I have to write you two as partners now, right?” Mr.Yong asked. They both nodded. “Good, now the problem is solved,” he said before writing their names down. They then left the classroom and headed for the cafeteria.

“So we’re going to share a room,” Myungsoo said as they walked.

“Yeah,” Yoomi said. “Even though we live together, it feels like we’re going to have a sleepover. It’s going to be so much fun,” she said excitedly.

“Why are you so happy that we’re sharing a room? Is it because you’re expecting for something to happen?” he asked with a playful smile.

“What are talking about?” she asked back.

“What do you think? A girl and a boy in one room at night, in complete darkness. What do you think would happen?”

Yoomi thought about it. “They would watch dramas?” she replied.

“Would they?” he asked back.

Yoomi furrowed her eyebrows. “Yeah…” she said slowly, not sure if she answered right. “What else would they do?”

“Do you really not know?” he asked again. Yoomi shook her head. “If we were in a room with only the two of us in complete darkness, then…” He leaned his face closer to hers. “… aren’t you afraid that I would kiss you?”

She saw how close he was and instantly blushed before pushing him away. “N-no,” she stuttered. “I’m sure that you wouldn’t do that.”

“And why are you sure?”

She looked at him with a puzzled face. “Because you wouldn’t have a reason to do that?” she asked, unsurely.

Myungsoo smirked. “Why do you think that I don’t have a reason?” He leaned his face closer to hers again. “I’m a teenage boy. Don’t you think that I would have raging hormones at this age?”

Yoomi took a second to let what he said to register to her brain. “You’re right…” she said while nodding. “I should just agree with rooming with 2 other girls. Sleeping on the floor wouldn’t be that bad compared to sleeping in a room with a teenage boy that has raging hormones.” She was just about to go back and tell Mr.Yong to change her partner when Myungsoo stopped her.  

 “Wait,” he said as he held onto her arm. “I was just kidding. I wouldn’t do that. I’m not that kind of person.”

“But how am I going to trust you after what happened yesterday?” she asked.

“I said that I was sorry. I really didn’t mean to do that,” he said. “And I thought that you forgave me already.”

“Well, I did you forgive you and I know that it was just a mistake,” she said. “But truthfully, even if you do try to do anything to me then I can always beat you up.”

“Wait what?!” he said in surprise. “You would beat me up? I’m your best friend and you don’t trust me enough that you would actually beat me up?!”

“I said that I would only beat you up if you try to do something,” she said.

“But what makes you so sure that you can beat me up?” he asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Well, I did take martial arts classes and I’m sure that I’m stronger than you,” she replied.

“I’ll give you a point for the martial arts classes, but in strength, I’m pretty sure that I can beat you,” he said.

Yoomi shook her head. “You shouldn’t be so sure of yourself. I have confidence that I can beat you at arm wrestling.”

“Yeah right,” he said. “Then prove it. Let’s have an arm wrestling match.”

“Alright, let’s have an arm wrestling match,” she agreed.

“And the loser has to give the winner a piggyback ride all the way to halmeoni’s shop,” he said as he put his hand out for her to shake it.

“You’re on,” she said. They both shook hands and had a competitive look in their eyes.


 

“Alright people, you’re watching the match of a lifetime now,” Woohyun said into his imaginary microphone. “It’s a Yoomi vs. Myungsoo match and who knows who would win.”

“That’s right Woohyun, will it be Yoomi or Myungsoo? Wow, I bet that everybody in the audience are anticipating it,” Sungyeol also said into his imaginary microphone.

“Are you seriously going to commentate for this arm wrestling match? It’s not going to be that long,” Sunggyu said.

“Yeah, I’m making my bet on Myungsoo,” Hoya said. “No offense Yoomi.”

“It’s fine, I still believe that I would beat him,” she replied.

“Ohh~, and our Yoomi just insulted Myungsoo!” Sungyeol said excitedly. “Things are heating up now!”

“Dude, seriously?” Myungsoo said. “Let’s just get this over with already.”

Myungsoo and Yoomi got into position and grabbed each other’s hand. “You’re going down,” Myungsoo with a smirk.

Yoomi also smirked. “Not before you,” she replied.

Dongwoo came and held their clasped hands to prevent them from cheating before it even started. “Ready… set… hahaha!”

Everybody looked at Dongwoo with a confused expression. “Dongwoo, what are you doing?” Sungjong asked.

“I just think that it’s too exciting, so I couldn’t help but laugh,” he replied while laughing.

“You know, if you keep laughing then I can do it instead,” Hoya suggested.

“No, I’m good,” Dongwoo said as he tried his best to stop himself from laughing. He then got back into position. “Alright, ready… set… go!”

Myungsoo started pushing Yoomi’s hand down as soon as Dongwoo let go of their hands. *This is too easy,* he thought as he took his time to pin her hand down to the table. Just when he was an inch away from making her hand touch the table, he wasn’t able to move it anymore.

He tried with all of his strength to push it down, but it wouldn’t budge. To his horror, he suddenly saw his hand being pushed back up.

“You’re going to lose,” Yoomi mouthed when he looked at her.

Myungsoo widened her eyes when he realized that she was right, he was going to lose. He tried again while using his whole body to push her hand back the other way, but it was no use. His hand just kept going closer and closer to the side that he didn’t want it to go to.

When Yoomi finally pinned his hand down to the table, she let go of his hand and cheered. “Yay, I won!”

Everybody else watched her in amazement. They then saw that Myungsoo’s face was red, probably from using all of his force to try to bring his hand back up. “What in the world just happened?” they all said.

“I think that you guys should pay up now,” Yoomi said as she held out her hand. They all reluctantly took out their wallets and they each paid her 20,000 won.

“And I was so sure that Myungsoo would win,” Sungyeol said as he turned towards Myungsoo. “You are so disappointing sometimes.”

“Then you try to go up against her!” Myungsoo yelled back.

“Alright then, I’ll try.” Sungyeol went up to Yoomi and they got in position for another arm wrestling match.

“If you lose, can you pay me another 20,000 won?” she asked.

“Sure, but I don’t think that I’m going to lose,” Sungyeol said with a confident smile.

Dongwoo went up and held their clasped hands. “Ready… set… go!”

Yoomi immediately pinned his hand down, making him stare at his hand in surprise. “What the-“

“You owe me another 20,000 won,” Yoomi said as she held her hand out.

Sungyeol pouted and paid her. “You didn’t have to be so mean,” he said.

“Sorry Sungyeol,” Yoomi apologized.

“Wait a minute, is Yoomi actually that strong?” Hoya asked.

“Yes!” Sungyeol said as he frantically nodded his head. “I wasn’t even able to move my hand up.”

The rest of the Infinite members were skeptical and arm wrestled with her to see if they were telling the truth. To their surprise, they found out that Myungsoo and Sungyeol were telling the truth when their hands were already pinned down onto the table.

“Wow, you seriously deserve this,” Hoya said as he paid her 20,000 won. “This is the first time that somebody could beat me in arm wrestling.”

Yoomi happily smiled when she saw the money that she received. *I can finally pay some money back to Myungsoo,* she thought.

The rest of the Infinite members then waved goodbye and left first since they knew that Myungsoo wouldn’t let them follow him and Yoomi to the bakery, and they were also quite busy themselves.

“Here,” she said as she gave him the money. “Now how much left do I owe you?”

Myungsoo stared at the money. “Is that why you didn’t ask me to pay you for losing?”

Yoomi nodded. “Yup, so how much do I owe you now?”

Myungsoo reluctantly took the money and made up a random number in his mind. “Well, you owed me 500,000,000 won ($459,850), so you can do the math.”

“What! Why do I owe you that much? The materials that you bought for me didn’t even cost that much,” she said in shock.

“Well, you did almost kill me like 3 times already, and be happy that I didn’t add your living expenses,” he said.

“But we already went over this many times. You were also at fault for almost killing yourself,” she said.

“But like I said before, you were the one who invented it so you should take responsibility,” he reasoned. “Be happy that I didn’t ask for more. My life is worth a lot you know.”

Yoomi frowned. “Alright fine,” she said. “That means that I now owe you 499,280,000 won ($459,223),” she said with a sigh. “At least I’m getting somewhere.”

Myungsoo smiled. *It should take a while for her to pay me back right? Yeah, she barely has any money, so this should make her stay here for a little longer,* he thought. He knew that it was selfish to make her have to pay that large amount of money when she doesn’t even have that much, but he really didn’t want her to leave. He then took off his blazer and came closer to her.

“What are you doing?” she asked when he all of a sudden removed the distance between them.

“We agreed that the loser would give a piggyback ride to the winner, so I have to give you a piggyback ride. But you’re wearing a skirt so it’s best if you have this around you,” he said.

“But it’s fine, I’m wearing shorts under this.”

“But I don’t want people to stare at your legs. Especially when your legs are so short and stubby.” She pouted as he brought the blazer around her to tie it around her waist.

“My legs are not short and stubby,” she said with a frown. She then looked up and held her breath after realizing how close he was to her.

When he finished tying his blazer around her, he looked at her and saw that she was holding her breath. He then smirked and said, “Why are you holding your breath? Are you expecting something?”

Yoomi quickly shook her head and started breathing again. “No I’m not,” she said.

He then leaned in closer with a playful smile on his face. “Then why are you blushing?” he asked.

“Um…” She didn’t even realize that she was blushing and quickly tried to think of something. “b-because it’s hot,” she replied.

“Really?” he said, his playful smile never leaving his face. “Then it’s not because from how close our faces are?”

“No, not at all,” she said as she tried to move away. Myungsoo then held onto her arm, preventing her from getting away, and leaned in even closer. As soon as she saw his face coming closer to her, she shut her eyes tight.

Myungsoo saw her reaction and smirked again. He then lightly flicked her forehead. “You’re definitely expecting me to kiss you,” he said before leaning away from her. “I knew that you already fell for me.”

Yoomi opened her eyes and blushed. “No, I-I didn’t,” she stuttered.

“Yes, you did. It’s written all over your face,” he teased.

Yoomi frowned. “No it’s not. Stop teasing me,” she said.

“Why shouldn’t I tease you? You’re so easy to tease,” he said with an amused smile.

Yoomi huffed. “That’s not nice, ahjussi,” she said, trying to get him back.

Myungsoo furrowed his eyebrows. “Ahjussi?”

Yoomi nodded. “Yup, ahjussi,” she repeated. “From now on I’m going to call you ahjussi.” She then childishly stuck out her tongue.

Myungsoo scoffed. “Do I look that old to you?” he asked in disbelief. “I’m only 18 you know.”

“But you’re older than me by 1,007 years,” she said. “In this year you’re 18, but in the year that I came from you’re 1,015 years old.” Myungsoo was shocked by the fact. “Be happy that I’m not calling you ancient,” she teased.

“Hey, we only call Sunggyu that,” he said. “Come on, let’s just go home,” he said as he got down.

“Psh, trying to change the topic now huh, ahjussi?” Yoomi said. She was happy that she could finally get him back for teasing her all of those other times.

“Just get on,” he said grumpily. Yoomi smiled when it seemed like she won and then got onto his back as he held her legs and stood up. “Now, you can’t get down,” he said with a smirk.

“What do you mean? Of course I can get down,” she said. She wanted to prove him wrong and tried to get back onto the ground, but it wasn’t possible when Myungsoo was holding her legs. “Yah, ahjussi, let go of my legs so that I can get back down.”

“It seems like you still haven’t learned your lesson,” he said. “If you want to get down then call me oppa instead.”

“Oppa?” she asked with a raised eyebrow. “Why would I call you oppa?”

“Because like you said, I’m older than you,” he explained. “But I don’t like being called ahjussi, so call me oppa instead.”

She refused to do so and instead, tried to find a different way to get down. When she saw that there was no way to get down safely, she decided to just stay that way. “Oh well, I don’t need to get down right now anyway. You still need to give me a piggyback ride until we reach halmeoni’s bakery.”

Myungsoo frowned. “Then I’m going to drop you,” he said.

Yoomi looked skeptical. “You wouldn’t.” Myungsoo pretended like he was about to drop her which made her panic. “Okay, okay, fine!” she yelled while hanging on to him like her life depended on it.

A smile grew on his face when he saw that she gave in. “Say the magic word,” he said.

“Myungsoo is a meanie,” she replied. Myungsoo instantly frowned and pretended to drop her again. “Alright! Oppa! Happy?! I called you oppa!”

“Now say ‘Oppa~ please don’t drop me’ with aegyo,” he said in a high pitched voice.

“What?! I’m not going to do that!” she said.

“Okay then, I guess that somebody would have to go to the hospital for a broken tailbone,” he said.

Yoomi glared at him. “You are the most evil and conniving person that I have ever met,” she said.

“But I’m still charming and handsome,” he said. “And this charming and handsome young man here is only suggesting for you to do aegyo so as to not drop you. Is that too much to ask?”

“Suggesting? It’s more like forcing,” she said under her breath.

“What did you say?”

“Nothing,” she quickly replied. She then took a deep breath and closed her eyes. “Oppa, please don’t drop me,” she said with clenched teeth.

Myungsoo smiled. “Say it with even more aegyo then we can go to halmeoni’s bakery,” he said.

“But I already did it once! I’m not doing it again!”

“I’m guessing that somebody wants to go to the hospital after being dropped causing for them to miss a day of work even though they just started not too long ago, and also be in even more debt when somebody has to pay the hospital fees. Most likely a handsome and charming young man name Kim Myungsoo.”

“Wow, I really hate you right now,” she said.

“Trust me, deep down I know you’re in love with me,” he said with a sly smile.

Yoomi sighed. “There’s just no way around this, is there?”

“Nope,” he replied. “Just do it already, halmeoni is waiting.”

“Aish, if only we didn’t have to go to work right now then you would be so dead,” she muttered under her breath. She then took in another deep breath. “Oppa~ please don’t drop me,” she said with the most aegyo that she could have done.

Myungsoo smiled and felt his heart flutter. *She’s so cute,* he thought. He wanted to make her do aegyo again, but he knew that she would definitely kill him if he did make her.

“Alright, let’s go,” he said feeling satisfied.

She let out a relieved breath. “Finally,” she said.

They then started towards halmeoni’s bakery while bickering along the way.


 

I bet that you guys were expecting them to be partners huh?

Anyways... Woohoo! This story now has 101 subscribers! *throws celebratory confetti* I'm so thankful to you guys and I'm so happy right now!^^ I know I must be a little too happy, but nevertheless I'm still happy. Also, as promished I'm going to release the Jeju chapter this week, probably tomorrow. I'm just going to release two chapters this week since, you know, 101 subscribers should be something to celebrate especially since it's the first time that this happened to me. 

Also, I would like to thank TaeWooYang for upvoting~^^ I hope that you guys have a great weekend, and look forward to the next chapter. :D