Chapter 2

Mystery Song

Amber’s POV

“Aaaaahhhhh!” I screamed and stretched my arms as I felt the wind on our school’s rooftop. It is always good to be here. You can always see the whole field below and when you look around you can see sky scraper buildings. And the best part is, nobody comes here very often except for me, as a result I can always have my “me-time” here. Good place to think, write... and sleep.”

I’m staring at a blank sheet of paper for 20 minutes now. Come on Amber, think... THINK! I got really frustrated. I turn around and throw the pen that I’m holding to the door. But suddenly the door opened...

“OUCH! WHAT THE..” I saw that the girl bent down and reach the pen “A PEN?!”  the girl with a long black hair shouted.
“Omg. I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean it.” I was bowing simultaneously without looking the girl.
“Pfft. Sorry my .”
“I’m really sorry okay?!” I said back. I stopped bowing and look at the girl. Oopps, that’s Krystal Jung the ice princess. Bad move Liu, bad move.
“Oh now you are mad too huh?” She said with a cold glare and crossed her arms
“No! I’m not!!”
“And now you are shouting too, Liu.”
“No... Wait... Aish... Okay, I am so sorry Krystal, I didn’t mean to throw that pen to you. I thought that no one will come up to this rooftop.” I said in a calm tone to her hoping that she will gently warm to me.
“Well... I am here, wrong thought.”
“That’s why I am apologizing to you.”
“Yeah, I know.”

Aish this girl. I mentally facepalm myself in my head.

“So what are you doing here?” She asked while playing with my pen in between her fingers
“I was just uhh... doing my homework. “ I lied. I cannot say that I’m actually doing here because I don’t want others to know my secret. “So uhh, what are you doing here?” I return the question to her.
“Me? Oh... Nothing I was just searching for someone... I thought I will find that person here.” She said with a slight disappointment on her face.
“Oh... “ I scratched my head as I don’t know what will I reply to her. We are not that close you know. We are on the same class but we have different circle of friends. But then I remember that she still holding my pen.
 “Uhh hey Krys, can I have my pen back?” I said and giving her my dorky smile.
“No way!” She shouted and she shoved the pen to her pocket.
“What? But why?! That pen is mine.”
“Yeah I know, but I’m not giving it to you. This is your punishment because you threw me this and for not making your assignment.”
 

She started walking towards the door. I started chasing her “Krys, wait!” That pen was important to Amber because it was the last birthday gift she received from her father, that’s why she cherished it the most. By the time she reached the door she slammed it immediately and then I had a face to face situation with the door. Ouch.  

 

---
 

Krystal’s POV

I was on my way to the library when I heard a piano playing on the music room. At first I just going to ignore it thinking that some class must have been using it but as the music plays on, it somewhat stopped me on my tracks. And suddenly I heard a voice singing, and I started to have some goose bumps. It is really good. I slowly walk towards the door of the music room. I unconsciously closed my eyes and enjoy the song. I peaked though the window and saw a silhouette of a person playing a piano. I got curious and I held onto a knob, but suddenly the music stops. I opened the door but I saw no one there, I walk towards the piano and noticed that the piano cover is open that means someone is here playing this. As I ran my fingers to the keys, the door suddenly opened and I saw a human figure running out. “Wait!” I shouted but the person was too fast I didn’t even notice the face.

Our encounter at the music room was repeated three times in different days, by the time I was going to open the door the person will always escape from me. I just let out a sigh every time that it will happen. Then just recently, I heard that voice again in the rooftop but then again that person just escaped again. That is why I tried my luck today at the rooftop but I only saw that Liu. I thought I’m going to see that person that makes my heart flutter every time I will hear that voice. “When will I’m going to see you?” I mumbled to myself.

 “Yah, where the hell have you been?” Jiyoung said while holding her eyeliner and a mirror in her hands.
“Rooftop.”
“What? What are you doing there Krys?” Suzy asked while she’s flipping a fashion magazine
“Nothing... I just thought that...”
“You just thought that you’ll see that person you always hear singing?” Suzy cut her off and stopped flipping her magazine and looked at me.
“Y-yeah.” I hung my head low. “But everytime I’ll try to look for that person, it is always a fail.”The first time I heard that voice, it suddenly became nirvana to my ears. Then I start searching who the person is, I even went to the school choir’s practice for god’s sake. I am desperate, I know. There are two places that I am sure that person is staying most of the time, the music room at the fifth floor and the rooftop.


“OMO KRYS!” Suzy closes the magazine and slammed it on the table startling me and Jiyoung making her eyeliner ruined.
“Suzy! Look what you did!” Jiyoung said with a pout on her face. “Now I’m going to do it again.” She hissed.
“What is it?” I asked without even looking at Suzy.
“Maybe, it’s a ghost! Awooooo!” she said while imitating Saddako.
“WHAT?! NO. IT CAN’T BE.” I shoot up my head and mess Suzy’s hair making it tangled.
“Then why are you the only one hearing it?” Jiyoung asked while looking herself in the mirror fixing her damaged eyeliner.
“Yeah. Jiyoung has a point.” Suzy nodded at Jiyoung.
“Well.. That’s..” I am running out of replies so I said “Whether it is a ghost or not, I will find out that mystery myself.” And that I held out a fist to the air, determined to solve this mystery. Someday I’ll find you, mystery person.

My two friends just shrugged it off. “Well Soojung, if that will make you happy, then I’ll support you.” Jiyoung smiled. She is really a good friend of mine, even I have many ridiculous ideas in my head in finding that mystery person, she is just cool with it. She never leaves me.

Because there is nothing to do, I decided to advance study the next topic that we will be discussing later at our third period. Jiyoung is busy applying her final touches on her make up while Suzy is busy scanning her magazine. I plugged in my earphones and listen to good music while I’m reading.

“OMOOOO!”
“SUZY WHAT THE HELL! It’s ruined again! UGH”
“Sorry Jiyoung. Uhh.. Ehh.. Byeee”
“Hey comeback here! You little brat! Yah!”