Chapter 30

Mystery Song

“Hi Krystal!”

“Hi Am.” Krystal enters the room bringing the soup with her. She carefully places the tray on the bedside table of Amber. Amber looks at the bowl of soup which Krystal made.

“Smells good, I’m feeling hungry.” Amber said as she patted her tummy.

The girl chuckled and motion to sit beside Amber. “Of course it smells good, I made it myself.” The girl proudly said.

“Thanks Krystal.” Amber reaches for the tray but she was surprised because the two other girls are also about to get the bowl.  There was a little awkward silence but Amber breaks it by saying “It’s okay guys, I can do it.” And flashes her dorky smile

The two girls looked at each other awkwardly, and immediately return to their seat. Krystal was sitting on Amber’s left while Suzy transferred to the right. Amber is happily eating her soup while watching a funny reality show on the television, while the two girls beside her are also watching the show but sometimes stealing some glances on Amber. After Amber finished her soup, she places it on the bedside table with the help of Krystal.

“Thanks for the soup again, Krys.... You’re a good friend.” Amber said and smiled, although she was feeling sad inside when she utter the word ‘friend’.

Amber was about to get up when the two girls hold the both of her arms.

“Where are you going Amber?”

“Is there anything you need?”

Amber looks at her left and right, and somewhat feeling weird about her two friends. “I’m just going to the kitchen to drink some water.”

“I’ll get it!” the two girls said unison and stand up. The two girls looked at each other again “No, I’ll get it!” They both said in unison again. Amber just stayed silent sitting on the bed. She is just staring her two friends, turning her head from left to right just like watching a live tennis match.

Since Krystal is the one who is closer to the door, she makes the first step to move. She gets the tray and hurriedly gets out of the door. With Suzy being defeated by Krystal, she slumped back to bed and pout. Amber just stared at the pouting Suzy. When Suzy saw on her side that Amber had been staring at her she turn her head and said “What?!”

“N-nothing.” Amber raises her hands and advert her eyes back on the television. ‘Something weird is going on’ she thought.

While walking downstairs, Krystal wore a victory smile on her face. She went to the kitchen to wash the bowl that Amber used and get a glass and pour some water to it.

 

Suddenly, Suzy felt a slight pain on her lower back. Amber saw her stretching and massaging her back to somewhat slightly ease the pain.

“Are you okay?” Amber asked.

Suzy nodded. “I guess I’m just a bit tired, we had a practice yesterday and the dance moves are really hard.”

“Ohh...” Amber gets another pillow and places it on the headboard. “Hey Suzy, come here.” Amber patted the empty space beside her signalling Suzy to come closer to her. Suzy blushed on Amber’s action. She gently moves beside Amber, she blushed more when Amber helps her to sit comfortably beside her. When Amber saw that Suzy is comfortably leaning and sitting beside her, she lifts the comforter and tucks Suzy’s lower body.

“Feeling better?” Amber asked.

Suzy just shyly nodded and in return Amber flashes again her dorky smile and advert her attention again at the television.  Suzy put her hands on her cheeks, it was indeed feeling hot. She felt like she and Amber is a couple spending their weekends on bed watching some random shows all day. She unconsciously leans her head again on Amber’s shoulder; the other girl didn’t bother because all of her attention was on the television.

 

Krystal happily headed upstairs bring with her a glass of water for Amber. She even hums her favourite song and snapping her fingers to the beat. When she opened the door, her mood suddenly turned 360 degrees. The grip on the glass starts to tighten; if she will add more force to it maybe the glass will shatter into pieces. As Amber heard the door being opened by Krystal, she turns her head and smiled at her. Krystal was walking towards Amber extending her arm so that Amber will be able to get it. Amber suddenly moves towards Krystal and sits at the edge of the bed and drinks her water. Suzy, being drowned by all of her emotions towards Amber didn’t know that her head is slipping off on Amber shoulder making her stumble on Amber’s bed. Krystal who saw what happened to Suzy covered so that her laugh will not be able to hear. Amber who is busy drinking her water didn’t know what is happening behind her back.

It was almost 3 in the afternoon; the three girls are currently watching a movie which Krystal brought earlier. The three of them are sitting comfortably on Amber’s bed leaning their backs on the headboard. The two girls are sandwiching Amber in the middle. Amber saw at her peripheral vision that Suzy’s back was again aching, she moves closer to her and fixes the pillow at Suzy’s back. Suzy takes this chance to lean her head again to Amber since they are much closer now. Krystal who is attentively watching the movie saw it too but she didn’t do anything. She feels that she is the third wheel in the situation. She just crosses her arms and show off her emotionless face.

Somewhere in the middle of the movie, Suzy’s phone vibrated. She checked it while still leaning on Amber’s shoulder. She let out a sigh when she read the message.

“Is there something wrong?” Amber asked.

“I need to go home; my mom will be at our house in a while. She wanted me to go with her to the grocery.” Suzy said. As long as she wanted to stay in Amber’s arms, she already made a promise to her mom that she will accompany her to the supermarket.

“Ohh, it’s okay Suzy. I think your mom really needs you. I really appreciate that you came over.”

“Are you sure your gonna be okay?”

Amber nodded. “Yes, I think I’m getting better now.”

“And I’m still here Suzy; I’ll take care of Amber.” Krystal said with a smile on her face.

Suzy felt jealous because Krystal will be able to be with Amber for a longer time. She gets her things and bid goodbye to her friends. Before she gets through the door, she hugged Amber and slightly kissed her hair. “Take care Amber, please be well soon.” 

 

Krystal walked Suzy through the front door. Amber who is watching alone at her bedroom, suddenly felt uneasy, because she and Krystal will be together alone at her room. All the feelings that Amber tries to burry six feet under is now making its way towards the surface again. She saw Krystal opens the door and walk towards her bed. Amber ignored Krystal’s presence by just focusing her eyes on the movie. She felt her heart starts to beat faster when Krystal snuggled to her; she shifts to a comfortable position so that the other girl will be able to snuggle comfortably.

 There was a scene on the movie when the guy and the girl is about to kiss. Amber gulped when Krystal starts to lean her head on Amber’s shoulder. Amber’s body when rigid and Krystal also felt it too. Krystal remembered the night that they spent together at the library; she took Amber’s left hand carefully and starts caressing it with her thumb. And it felt like magic, Amber’s body starts to relax on Krystal’s touch. Amber felt right, everything felt right until she realized that she must forget all of her feelings for Krystal. So she gently release her hands on Krystal, at first the girl didn’t allow Amber’s hand to let go but Amber’s hand kept on insisting so she gently released it.

Krystal thought that she was being too clingy around Amber, maybe the girl is already feeling uncomfortable so she withdraw her head on Amber’s shoulder and leans back on the headboard again. Amber felt sad as she felt Krystal’s head is no longer at her shoulder but she thinks that it is okay to be like this so that the weird feelings will not emerge anymore. Krystal remembered that she brought some snacks with her to be shared with Amber. They enjoy munching some snacks while watching the movie. Suddenly Amber notices that there is a grain of rice on under Krystal’s lower lip. Krystal saw Amber staring at her so she turns her head to face the girl.

“What are you looking at?”

Amber didn’t speak instead she leans closer to Krystal. She saw the girl staring at her lips. Krystal didn’t know what to do; she felt that her body can’t move. She unconsciously closes her eyes and anticipate on what’s gonna happen next. Amber reaches for the tissue paper at the table behind Krystal and gently wipes the rice on Krystal’s lips. Krystal slowly opens her eyes when she felt something thin on her lips. “There, all clean.” Amber said as she shows the tissue at Krystal. Krystal didn’t know why but she suddenly felt disappointed by Amber’s action but she just shakes the thought off.

After the movie ended, Krystal hops off on the bed and reaches for her bag.

“Hey llama, I have a surprise for you.” Krystal said while hiding something at her back.

“What is it?!” Amber tries to take a peek at Krystal’s back.

“Ta da!” Krystal showed the trophy and the medal at Amber. “Congratualtions, MVP!”

Amber smiled and takes the trophy and the medal “Thanks Krystal.”

Krystal noticed that Amber isn’t really surprised at all. “Yah, why are you not surprised?”

“Oh yeah, Suzy told me that a while ago.” Amber smiled dorkily.

Krystal puffed her cheeks and pouted because Suzy ruined her surprise to Amber. Amber chuckled and patted Krystal’s head. “Aigoo.”

It’s almost past 9 o’clock. Krystal saw that Amber was slowly bobbing her head, trying to keep herself awake. They are currently watching the 3rd movie which Krystal brought.

“Amber, come here lie down.” Amber easily obeyed and lies down. Krystal gently tucks Amber in.

“But I want to see the ending.” Amber pouted

“We can watch it next time, for now you take a rest.” Krystal gently runs her fingers to Amber’s hair, making the other girl to drift off to sleep immediately.

When she saw that Amber is already fallen asleep, she gets the on her bag and removes the one on Amber’s arm. All throughout the movie, Krystal saw that Amber frequently scratches the on her arm, so she decided to change it. She carefully removes it so that the girl will never wake up by her actions. When the is already gone, she gently massages the sprained area with her hands.

“Stupid, why did you let Suzy to come over? She didn’t do anything; she just clings to you all the time. Aissh.” Krystal find herself mumbling these words while she put some ointment on the affected area.

“Next time, you call me instead so that I can take care of you, okay?” She said as she finished placing the on Amber’s arm.  Krystal continues to stare at the sleeping llama beside her. Her hand unconsciously caresses the other girl’s cheeks and later travelled up on Amber’s hair.

She found herself leaning forward eyeing the older girl’s forehead. She closes her eyes as her lips were about to land on Amber’s forehead.

“Amber! I’m home!”

Krystal immediately pulls back as she heard a voice. Amber was awakened too by the loud noise. Suddenly Amber’s mom barged into Amber’s room without knocking. Krystal immediately stands up and bows at the older lady in front of her. Amber’s mom was very thankful to Krystal for taking care of Amber because she is sick. Because it is already getting late, Krystal needs to go home already. She bid goodbye to Amber and also to her mom too.

“Goodbye Am, get well soon.”

“I will Krystal, thanks again and take care!”

 

The next day, Suzy saw Minho at the school’s hallway.

“Good morning Minho!” Suzy greeted him.

“Oh hi Suzy, good morning!”

Suzy noticed that Minho bought a paper bag with a container inside. “What’s that Minho?”

“Oh this? This is for Krystal, I made her a soup. She said that she was not feeling okay yesterday.”

“Really? But I was with Krystal yesterday. We are at Amber’s house.” Suzy said

“WHAT?!”