Chapter 33

Mystery Song

It was already getting darker and windy but the view at the Han River is getting more and more beautiful as the night gets by. The night life at Seoul has already begun. Many people coming from their work unwind themselves by having a stroll around the river. Teenagers are also at the river playing some Frisbee, dancing, singing or even riding their own bicycle and skateboards. There are also families who are eating their dinner at the nearby restaurants near the river and enjoying its view by looking at the bridge as the fountain bursts at it sides.

Everything seems so happy except for that one girl who is sitting alone at a bench near a food stand. Although Krystal knew that she must be going home now by at this hour because she knew Jessica will be worried about her, but she didn’t. She chooses to stay at this place a little longer. She doesn’t know really why. Is it the sound of the waves coming from the river that makes her feel at calm? Is it the smell of the freshly cooked tteukbokki of ahjumma? Is it the happy night life atmosphere at the Han River? Or is it because this bench is so memorable to her and she just used to sit here with someone? Krystal shakes her head and look at the empty space beside her, the bench is quite big for her alone. She knew why, she just doesn’t want to say it. She suddenly felt cold as the night breeze touches her skin, making her blow a hot air on her hands and rub her arms just to make her body heat up a bit.

 

“She’s been sitting at that bench for a long time now.” The ajhumma said while preparing some tteukbokki.

“Who?”

“That girl.” The ajhumma pointed her finger “I think she’s waiting for someone.”

“Oh... yes. I saw her a while ago. I don’t know why she came here.”

“Why don’t you go to her then? You two are friends, right?”

“Y-yeah. But I kinda... I mean we are not in good terms lately. I was kinda pissed off earlier and I know I hurt her feelings... well she hurt my feelings too.” She said remembering the kiss at the rooftop earlier.

The ajhumma handed the container to Amber, but she was surprised why the ahjumma gave her extra servings. She was about to talk but the ahjumma cut her off.

“Just go and talk to her, and fix whatever the problem between the two of you. Don’t prolong this kind of relationship, you’re gonna lose a friend.” The ahjumma smiled.

Amber nodded and slowly walks on the bench where Krystal is sitting at. She took a deep breath and she is ready to apologize to her about what happened earlier. She knew that her act earlier was wrong, she was jealous upon seeing the couple kiss but she doesn’t have the right to feel jealous about it. Krystal is never hers, so why would she? Ahjumma was right; she doesn’t want to lose Krystal so it’s better to sincerely apologize to her.

She carefully places the food at the end of the bench and she noticed that Krystal is not seeing her presence so she walks behind the girl and removes her jacket. She knows that the girl is feeling cold because she frequently rubs her palms and her arms.

“You must be cold, young miss.” Amber said as she carefully drapes her jacket at Krystal’s shoulders.

Krystal stiffens and her heart went berserk as she heard that husky voice and that unique scent that makes her wanna hug that person right away and buried her face on the crook of her neck. It was Amber. She felt that her hands are slowly leaving her shoulders, so she immediately grabs a hold of it.

“A-amber?!” Krystal said as she looks at the girl at her back. Amber just weakly smiled.

“Hey... Uhm. About earlier, I’m sorry for being rude. I’m really sorry, Krystal... I should’ve done that.”

Krystal hearing Amber’s apology, she immediately intertwined their fingers. Krystal goes back to her current position looking at the Han River and she gently pulls Amber down making Amber’s arms wrap around her. “No, it’s okay Amber. Let’s just forget what happened, okay?”

“But Krys—“

“I said, let’s just forget about it.” Krystal cut her off and she tilted her head slightly to the right making Amber’s head to rest at Krystal’s left shoulder.

They stayed like that for awhile. Both are looking at the view in front of them while sharing and giving each other’s warmth on a cold windy night. What they don’t know is that, their bodies are both reacting in the same way. They are both smiling but they cannot see it on each other because they are looking at a different direction. The way Krystal makes Amber heart beat faster by caressing Amber hand and the way Amber makes Krystal’s heart flutter by occasionally burying her face on Krystal’s neck. And at this moment, the feeling is just right. The bench is not big anymore for Krystal.

“You’re really feeling very cold huh? Amber teased Krystal.

“Yes, very very cold.” Krystal said as she tightens the hug. Amber chuckled.

Amber gently removes herself from the hug and sits beside the girl. “Let’s eat before the food gets cold.”

 

After they finish the food, Krystal snuggle herself to Amber. “I’m cold.” Amber chuckled at Krystal’s cuteness. Amber gets Krystal’s hands and blows a hot hair on them and rubs them together.

“Feeling better?” Amber asks.

Krystal nodded. “A lot better.” And she again intertwined their fingers together. Krystal treasures these kinds of moments because for her, this is the only time that she thinks that Amber was her girlfriend. In this way, she can show how much she truly loves the girl.

“What happened on your knee?” Amber said with a worried tone.

“I was running around and I got tripped on something. But it doesn’t hurt know so it’s okay.” Krystal smiled giving assurance to Amber.

“Be careful next time. You’re competition is coming near, don’t hurt yourself, okay?” Krystal nodded. She looks up and saw Amber has a small cut at her forehead. She sat up straight and touches Amber’s forehead and swipes the bangs away for her to have a good look at the wound. “What happened here?”

“Oh this.” Amber pointed and chuckled. “I just bumped my head onto something, I'm just being clumsy sometimes.”

Krystal immediately reaches for her bag. Good thing she still have an extra band-aid. “Move closer and hold your bangs up.” Amber obeyed. Krystal places the band-aid with care on Amber’s head. “There, all done!”

 

 It’s getting really late and Krystal’s phone is flooded by Jessica’s messages and missed calls. For her sister not to worry she told her that she was having a group project in Sulli’s house. It seemed very convincing to Jessica and Krystal praised herself for that. They decided to just walk home rather than to take a bus. Throughout the walk, Krystal never let go of Amber, she sometimes clings her arm but most of the time they are holding each other’s hands.

As they arrive to Krystal’s front gate, Krystal took off Amber’s jacket and gives it to her. “Thanks for the jacket.”

“No problem, Krys... so uh, I’ll go home now. See you tomorrow!” Amber was ready to leave but Krystal called her.

“Amber!”

“Yes?” Amber turned around.

Krystal was biting her lip, hesitating if she’ll gonna do what her mind is thinking. “Come here.”

Amber obeyed and moves a little closer to Krystal. Krystal envelops her arms around Amber’s neck and pulls her closer for a hug. Amber was taken aback at first but later responded and she places her hands on the other girl’s waist.

“Let’s go again to the Han River.” Krystal said still hugging Amber

Amber nodded. “Of course, it will be our secret place from now on.”

“Really?!” Krystal smiled.

“Yes... were friends right?” Amber said but with a tint of sadness on her face. Krystal felt sad too after hearing the word 'friends', good thing they couldn’t see each other’s faces.

Krystal sighed as she let go of the hug. “Take care on your way home.” She places her hands on Amber’s hair combing it with her fingers.

“Yup, I will. I’ll text you when I got home.” Krystal nodded. She took one step at the stair making her a slightly higher than Amber. She put her hands on Amber’s cheeks and gently pulls in front of her. Krystal closes her eyes as she gives soft a kiss on Amber’s forehead. Amber’s body stiffens and her heart suddenly went berserk again. Krystal pulled away “Goodnight, Amber.” She immediately opens the gate and went inside their house immediately leaving Amber dumbfounded.

 

The next day, Amber is in a good mood remembering what happened yesterday. She went first to her coach because of an emergency meeting before having lunch. She and Minho went together at the room because Jonghyun and Yuri already went ahead of them.

“Hey Am, can you hold this for a while? I gotta go the bathroom first, I’ll be quick!” Minho said as he handed the phone to Amber.

“Okay, I’ll just stay here.”

After a while, Amber felt something ringing and vibrating inside her pocket. She notices that Minho’s phone is ringing. Krystal is calling at him. She was about to yell at the bathroom telling Minho that her girlfriend is calling, but she stops as she heard a familiar song coming from Minho’s phone. It was the ringtone that made Amber shock.

 

 

 

 

 

“It can’t be... This is my demo.”